Create Account

Another leagues perspective: How the VHL is trying to fix its meta problem

03-09-2022, 01:53 PMLordBirdman Wrote: Do people enjoy the VHL?  Is it better than here?

Thunfish hit most of the points. Media there is far better than PTs here, imo. The careers are artificially shortened, which is sort of a natural TPE cap, so you are less likely to get into a situation where I'm in here, where my player is still pretty useless despite having 1200 TPE. There's not really the inflation problem in the VHL. Also, updating through the portal is worlds better than the SHL's frankly archaic updating style.

That said, it is a smaller userbase, so it's not going to feel as active as the SHL, but there's (from my perspective) a LOT less drama in the VHL.

03-16-2022, 06:06 PMGifter of Bikes Wrote:
03-09-2022, 01:53 PMLordBirdman Wrote: Do people enjoy the VHL?  Is it better than here?
a LOT less drama in the VHL.

So worse

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

03-16-2022, 06:15 PMSlashACM Wrote:
03-16-2022, 06:06 PMGifter of Bikes Wrote: a LOT less drama in the VHL.

So worse

As a 38 year old father of 2, I try to keep my hobbies as free from drama as possible
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2022, 01:39 AM by spooked.)

I think the eventual solution we will have to look into in the SHL will be either full on archtypes with limitations we can adjust as needed to balance the meta more aggressively, or something similar to their solution where we try to provide some drawback to overly-abused attributes. I think one of the bigger issues that FHM imposes is we only have a 1-20 scale right now that basically limits the range we can apply any adjustments to, and really that range is actually something like 14-20 considering how the engine sees them. That being said, having a player with various stats at sub-10 with others above 15 may be interesting to see play out as a normal approach, ie. does it make the meta even more obvious or somehow create a hole for other approaches to abuse the gap in player stats.

The reality is that without change, the experience of player building will become stale and not interesting and there will be no room for creativity, which only hinders the fun potential of the league considering that is like the whole point of it. Having big patch changes every 5-10 seasons could be a pretty cool thing honestly, community votes could be fun to see what needs changing even too...
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2022, 06:26 PM by FlappyGiraffe.)

03-18-2022, 01:37 AMspooked Wrote: I think the eventual solution we will have to look into in the SHL will be either full on archtypes with limitations we can adjust as needed to balance the meta more aggressively, or something similar to their solution where we try to provide some drawback to overly-abused attributes. I think one of the bigger issues that FHM imposes is we only have a 1-20 scale right now that basically limits the range we can apply any adjustments to, and really that range is actually something like 14-20 considering how the engine sees them. That being said, having a player with various stats at sub-10 with others above 15 may be interesting to see play out as a normal approach, ie. does it make the meta even more obvious or somehow create a hole for other approaches to abuse the gap in player stats.

The reality is that without change, the experience of player building will become stale and not interesting and there will be no room for creativity, which only hinders the fun potential of the league considering that is like the whole point of it. Having big patch changes every 5-10 seasons could be a pretty cool thing honestly, community votes could be fun to see what needs changing even too...

Any limitations put in will probably be min-maxed with tens of thousands of test sims by some of our more enthusiastic community members

[Image: wMFFUe4.gif]

Barracuda S56 1st Overall Barracuda

Gary Grease Career Stats: Click Here
Graphics Shop: Click Here

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  Barracuda Russia Barracuda  [Image: c8B2LE3.png]

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2022, 06:37 PM by spooked.)

03-19-2022, 06:24 PMFlappyGiraffe Wrote:
03-18-2022, 01:37 AMspooked Wrote: I think the eventual solution we will have to look into in the SHL will be either full on archtypes with limitations we can adjust as needed to balance the meta more aggressively, or something similar to their solution where we try to provide some drawback to overly-abused attributes. I think one of the bigger issues that FHM imposes is we only have a 1-20 scale right now that basically limits the range we can apply any adjustments to, and really that range is actually something like 14-20 considering how the engine sees them. That being said, having a player with various stats at sub-10 with others above 15 may be interesting to see play out as a normal approach, ie. does it make the meta even more obvious or somehow create a hole for other approaches to abuse the gap in player stats.

Any limitations put in will probably be min-maxed with tens of thousands of test sims by some of our more enthusiastic community members

Which is why I specifically say you change them with big patches regularly to not allow the min-max to consistently be the exact same for 10+ seasons. The SHL is a game, every other competitive focused game in the world gets balance patches, so this idea that we shouldn't do any on player builds because people will try to find the new meta literally runs counter to how every game operates.

You can't reject good changes because they're not perfect. Archetypes will absolutely never be perfect and the meta will be found but is doing nothing a better alternative? Especially if a reliable balance team can actually be found (seems like a big tbf but here's hoping)

03-19-2022, 07:06 PMunconfident69 Wrote: You can't reject good changes because they're not perfect. Archetypes will absolutely never be perfect and the meta will be found but is doing nothing a better alternative? Especially if a reliable balance team can actually be found (seems like a big tbf but here's hoping)

The thing is that there doesn't need to be a full-time balance team. Could even just put it in the post-season forms HO put out sometimes to get feedback, or have seasonal community threads/votes on what they think needs to be nerfed/buffed, yes there will probably need to be some groups put together to plan the changes, but it doesn't need to be every season even, only when things are not working or when the community knows there is a clear meta to go to.

Give metal ratings

[Image: Fitted_3.png]

2x 4Star Cup Champ s49 s50

1x commissioners excellence award s 50

03-22-2022, 05:14 PMFitted2106 Wrote: Give metal ratings
Tensile strength won't really make a difference unless we turn injuries on

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2022, 10:17 PM by jhotteoye. Edited 1 time in total.)

Not really the point, not like we can do that kind of thing, just wanted to ask. I really like this idea. Despite it appearing a little complicated on the surface, it's way better than picking a new game to play.
get-mobdro.com

06-01-2022, 08:04 AMjhotteoye Wrote: Not really the point, not like we can do that kind of thing, just wanted to ask. I really like this idea. Despite it appearing a little complicated on the surface, it's way better than picking a new game to play.

But where do I need to click to redeem my free iPad, random account with only one post in a two months old thread?

[Image: lespoils.gif]