Create Account

Who is...? Part 2: Andrew Martin

Who is...?

Part 2: Andrew Martin
User: @Good_Ole_Kimmy

[Image: 3192.png]

---------- The Career ----------

Andrew Martin is an interesting case of a player that comes into the league with relatively little noise around him, quickly makes a name for himself and then equally as quickly peters out and disappears. The German forward was selected in the 6th round, 46th overall, of the S42 SMJHL draft by the Colorado Raptors and after a middling rookie season in the J managed to boost his draft stock considerably. He would be picked up by Hamilton early in the second round the follow season during the S43 SHL draft at 17th Overall. This left many fans scratching their heads after the poor on ice production in his first season in the SMJHL, but Hamilton management stated great work rate and leadership skills as upsides that they felt Martin had in spades. Their thorough scouting seemed to really pay dividends as Martin got more ice time and was eventually traded to from Colorado to Vancouver where he would sniff a point per game pace during his last season in the juniors, racking up 49 points in 50 games.

After making it all the way to the eastern conference finals in both S41 and S42, Hamilton had experienced some struggles in the playoffs and it was hope of many fans that Martin would be part of the group of players that would revitalise the team and put them back on track. The flashy forward had showed great goal scoring potential and good vision during his last season in the J and as the dust settled on his rookie season he definitely did not disappoint, finishing with 12 goals, 25 points. Good for a .5PPG pace and a spot on the S45 All Rookie Team with now illustrious SHL names like Alex Winters, Luke Thomason and Johannes Leitner. However, during the next couple of seasons his development ground to a halt as he failed to take the next step. In the S47 post season a three year extension of Martin was announced by the then relatively new and unproven General Manager of Hamilton, Hallsy, and Martin would go on to put up his highest totals in S48, scoring 15 goals and totalling 32 points over the span of 50 games. It seemed like Martin had finally found the next offensive gear that he had been searching for, but it was not to last. In a move that surprised teammates and fans alike, Andrew Martin would announce his retirement during the S48 post season, just one year into his recently signed three year extension. In a now infamous interview, his agent would exclaim "He fuckin' sucks" in frustration.

---------- Career Totals ----------

SteelhawksS45 - GP: 50 | G: 12 | A: 13 | P: 25 | +/-: -13 | PIM: 8 |Hits: 37 | Shots Blocked: 12 - All Rookie Team.
SteelhawksS46 - GP: 50 | G: 10 | A: 16 | P: 26 | +/-: 4 | PIM: 10 |Hits: 31 | Shots Blocked: 11
SteelhawksS47 - GP: 50 | G: 15 | A: 12 | P: 27 | +/-: -9 | PIM: 4 |Hits: 34 | Shots Blocked: 11
SteelhawksS48 - GP: 50 | G: 15 | A: 17 | P: 32 | +/-: 0 | PIM: 0 |Hits: 9 | Shots Blocked: 11

Career Total - GP: 200 | G: 52 | A: 58 | P: 110 | +/-: -18 | PIM: 22 |Hits: 111 | Shots Blocked: 45

Peak TPE: 866

----------

This article is part of an ongoing series that covers players from the league's history. The aim is to provide a short and entertaining summary of a players SHL career in written form followed my a stat summary. These articles contain an element of what I call 'in-universe' writing which means they may contain embellishment or made up scenarios in order to add some flavour to the writing.  If you have any criticisms, suggestions or have a player in mind that you would like me to cover in the future, check out the Who is...? series hub. I hope you enjoyed the this instalment in the series, keep an eye out for the next one!

Ready to be graded. 550 words + stats and research.

[Image: JvI8fTp.png]

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png]

[Image: uDjThoa.png]

Really looking forward to more of these articles!

[Image: FJPVyys.png]

Great write up man! I don't think I'll ever live down retiring Martin for no reason lol, love this series keep up the good work.

[Image: cooldudeam1234.gif]
(Sig Credit: toedragon84)