Create Account

S64 PT #3: Trick Play

Written Task:  We've all seen the lacrosse goals, the attempts to flick the puck over the back of the net and in-- but these are few and far between. It might even be a stretch to call those things "trick plays." The only actual trick play I can think of off the top of my head is Ted Nolan pulling one over on Team Canada at the 2014 Olympics. That said, you almost never see this kind of thing happen in the NHL. Why not? Is there a lack of creativity in the game? Is it just too complicated without enough payoff? Why do you think we don't see much of this coaching style in hockey, and would you like to see more of it? (150+ words).

Really what we are looking at  are creative ways to score a goal.  Hence the lacrosse move from behind the net.  Also included here are the attempts to bounce the puck off the goalie in some way. (I have even seen plays where the shooter has tried to bounce the puck off the back of the goalkeeper's helmet !)  We see an abundance of creative moves in a shootout.  Why is that ?  The answer is really simple.  The shooter has oodles of time and space in which to perform that move, whatever it is.During the course of gameplay, those moves are rare as the shooter generally has a pretty talented defensive player sharing his lunch.  Ya, creative plays add a little color to the traditional game, but what is more exciting than an end-to-end rush with a spectacular finish, whether that be a goal or a fabulous save ?  I, for one, like traditional hockey, but also appreciate the high level of talent that is required to pull off a truly creative move.

[Image: Rinky-sig.jpg]

Texas will be ultimately using mind games to fuck with the players and coaching staff for their plays. Texas will rush in on a play without the puck and use slight of hand type passing and puckhandling to keep the puck hidden away from sight if at all possible. The other team will catch on quickly to these kind of plays and once they get caught using the same hidden puck moves, they'll make the same play only this time they'll rush in with the puck on the original fake play. Now that the other teams know the play is done with and without the puck, Texas can bust out this play and have the other team completely on edge because they won't know if they need to defend the guy coming in on the rush or the guy hanging back at the point. The confusion alone will frustrate the players and coaches to the point that even if the play doesn't work they'll still get under their skin and cause misplays by the opposing team.

[Image: 3WSeHAA.png]

ISFL affil https://forums.sim-football.com/showthre...#pid579762

[Image: 64377_v.gif]
Whalers Whalers Whalers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack
Finland / Germany  
Big thanks to Pythonic(first sig evah), Sloth(first LAP sig<3) and Ragnar for their sigs<3
Two time playoffs MVP and two time nominee
Triple gold club
Discord: asska

Hockey Prompt

I just want to start off saying, this is a great PT so thank you. I think we're starting to see more and more creativity in the sport of hockey as these younger players begin to grace the NHL with extremely ridiculous God-given talent. I think what we've seen from Svechnikov in Carolina, Zegras with Anaheim and just overall what these young guns are able to do like Cale Makar, Cole Caufield and Kirill Kaprizov is astounding. How they are so young but able to be productive at such a young age and manage to also find the spotlight on highlight reels. I think it's amazing for the sport of hockey overall. To all the young kids watching, sparking that passion and creativity will go a long way in the mind of a 12 year old. I think there's always room for more creativity in sports in general - just look at baseball. A sport that is in dire need to be brought into the new century where as hockey has done that by boys who can't even purchase an alcoholic beverage. I hear/see people like Tortorella saying there's no room in the game for this kind of stuff. Hockey is one of the fastest growing sports in the last few years - if we want it to keep growing we should support creativity in the game and encourage it as much as possible..before we end up like the MLB.

Word Count: 247

[Image: takethehorizon.gif]
[Image: IdMkYiH.png]

[Image: NIYtQkE.png] [Image: NjFSX1z.png]

PT pass

[Image: KSelich.gif]
Thank you all for the amazing sigs & player cards
Germany Citadelles  Stampede [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: Raptors.png][Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: eE2UQZC.png] Stampede Citadelles Germany

3. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 5 (Maximilian Wachter, Alexis Metzler) at 16:25
5. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 6 (Steven Stamkos Jr., Brynjar Tusk) at 19:48
8. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 7 (Brynjar Tusk, Alexis Metzler) at 13:55
9. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 8 (Anton Fedorov, Mikelis Grundmanis) at 15:12
10. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 9 (Dickie Pecker) at 19:43 (Empty Net)

Hockey Prompt:
Trick plays are allowed by the rules of the game, but, due to the current nature of the game, and the culture surrounding the game, it would be hard to pull off anything like Trevor Zegras or Andrei Svechnikov did. The game relies on speed, and less on grit and strength, which means you have little to no time to pull off any move such as the "Michigan". You require the mental grit to be able to do this on a national stage, but you have to be always prepared for naysayers always nagging about how it’s not good for the game to put some creative spin. This is the problem that the sport currently faces, people refusing to adapt to the modern game, where it’s more skill based rather than grit based. Goals like the Michigan are good for the sport, and I think they should stay in the league and hopefully implemented in the league soon.
(160 words)

[Image: ljefVAX.png]
[Image: Wf5B9wj.png]

Code:
If you don't want to get wacky, then I have a question for you about the actual game of hockey. Do trick plays have a place in the sport?

Do trick plays have a place in the sport of hockey?  That is a very tough question to answer.  It isn't as easy for a hockey player to disguise or hide the puck in Hockey as easy as it is for a football player in the NFL.  In fact, I'm pretty sure if a trick play involved hiding the puck, the play would be called dead because the ref's lost sight of the puck.  I think there's even a rule in the book stating as such.   In normal gameplay it is probably best left to be as efficient on the play as possible.  As Herb Brooks once said "flow, vision, creativity" helps get the puck from stick, to net.  The main caveat to that is, now if you have an excellent puckhandler on a breakway and they are able to do some sort of "magic",  triple-deke excluded, that would be as far as I would extend the graciousness of a trick play.  In a more relaxed exhibition, like a skills competition or all-star game.  Sure, I think that would be a great place to try and pull off a trick play because at that point its all about entertainment for the fans as opposed to picking up points for the season.

Hockey is a beautiful sport, it really is. The fast paced, high energy, big hits, and awe inspiring goals are all major draws. However what is this sport lacking? How can such an entertaining sport be missing anything? Well let me make one quick detour. Have we all seen Harry Potter? Ill assume that the answer is "Yes". So I will point to the game Quidditch. It really is 2 games in one. You have the soccer/hockey type game going on as the main game, in which players are trying to score points by throwing a ball through a hoop. But then you also have the secondary game going on between the seekers trying to catch the snitch. Both games are important to the overall game. So this is kind of what im proposing. 2 games going simultaneously. The hockey game we all know and love that is being played while a figure skater on each team is attempting triple axels and perfect spins. It would add some extra graceful elements to the game.  

WC:175

[Image: d2EaZfr.png]
Former Player

Creative Prompt

After moving up to the SHL level, Adelie realized just how dull modern hockey seemed to be. Things were much more fun when he was down in the juniors and was allowed to do whatever he wanted. You see, Pengu is a defensive player, but while in Nevada he was allowed to do things a bit more free form and so the legend of Slappers from the Blue Line began. This is what Adelie would describe to the committee as his signature move that should become routine in the league. You see, you receive the puck on defense and you just shoot it away. It doesn't matter from where, but the closer to the blue line the better. Just slap it away and watch it soar and every now and then it will hit net. This should be the new style off offense. Never leave your side of the ice, only slap from the blue line. Would make things much more fun.

[img=0x0]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/819596167843151906/843586092388057098/De_pengu_logo_2.png[/img]
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2022, 10:30 AM by karlssens. Edited 1 time in total.)

Prompt 2

I think the main reason we don't see many, if any, plays like that in the NHL is because the league is deep rooted in it's own culture and sorely needs a face lift. It's often reiterated in the media, there's a big focus on "grinding out wins" and you gotta "battle for the win". This becomes even more common place in the playoffs where the refs effectively just step aside and let the players decide their fate. Players like Zegras and Svechnikov, and plays like the one in the linked video, are a breath of fresh air the league sorely needs, but unfortunately a bunch of stuffy old heads at the top and big name media personnel push it back down so it doesn't get fully absorbed. It's not all doom and gloom though. Over the last few seasons you can see the change is starting to take shape. The "Michigan" is the highlight of the year and is widely praised. High talent players like McDavid are putting on a clinic each night, showing that grit doesn't always win. On the flip side skilled players with grit are now a premium (Tkachuk's).

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride

Hockey prompt - Written task

I'm on team "skill it up". I love the lacrosse goals, the flips over the net, running 3 defensemen in 3 on 3 OT because they're your best players? Hell yeah give it to me. I've seen players head pucks like a soccer player to make a play. We've seen players headbutt a puck into the net (that's not a legal fashion but it should be). I don't think there is a lack of creativity in the league when it comes to the players, but coaches have to be some of the most vanilla people that can be found near frozen water. I'd love to see an actual working flying V, or a 16 pass calculated mess that leaves the other team wondering if the linesmen just threw the puck in the net off the faceoff. Goaltenders and defenders are getting too good to not try and put their brain into sleep mode with some good ol' trickery

[Image: ykvg72u.png]
[Image: kcP9WEd.png]
Professional frogposter
Electric lettuce enthusiast

Trick plays aren't a part of hockey for a couple of reasons. One, coaching stifles any type of unnecessary creativeness. They look at the play as not worth the risk if it doesn't go as planned. Another one is the unwritten rules of the game, such as no hot-dogging and not showing up your opponent. In relation to that, players know if they try something that comes off as disrespectful, they're going to get a cheap shot by the opposition and nothing will be done to mitigate that.

To me, the whole idea that it's disrespectful is honestly BS. The goal is to score goals and win games. If you can execute a trick play to get you closer to that goal, it should be fair game. I don't understand throttling skill and creativeness. I don't understand having to worry about your opponents feelings when playing the game. Why is scoring a normal goal better than a fancy one? If you don't like it, stop it. I think it's ridiculous that it's more acceptable to run a player and injure them than it is to just score a nice goal. Hockey needs to get out of the old days at a certain point.

(203 words)

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 76
15-6-0
Regular Season - [G 2] [A 3] [Pts 5] [+/- +6] [PIM 10] [Hits 12] [SB 38]

[Image: ERs3IrD.png]

PT Pass

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

WSBL affiliate

[Image: zootshl.gif]
Sig credits: OrbitingDeath & enigmatic

[Image: hUtg6sH.png][Image: Voi7GNj.png]

Timber Scarecrows pride Aurora France

Generic Coach: We need something that is a guaranteed scoring method. Tell me what you got?

Agent Tesla: Buckle up because we are about to go on a ride. The key is to modify the skates of the centers and forwards then have them skate in perfect unison to draw the following symbols.

Agent Tesla paused here to bring out a flip chart detailing a number of occult symbols.

Agent Tesla: What makes this such an effective trick play is we can switch up which combination of symbols we use for a variety of different effects using the ice as a catalyst for the spell. Do we want to freeze the opponents in place then combine symbols I, C, and E. What if we want to have them drop everything with a desire to go become farmers then you simply combine symbols H, O, and E. Now if you are paying attention you will notice that I did my best to simplify the spellcasting system here so that anyone can reasonably draw up a new spell with just a little bit of work. Almost forgot my favorite go with D, O, and G to get them disqualified under the Air Bud rule.

Generic Coach: Brilliant!

Dave Heinrich: Sorry to interrupt here, but after Tesla signed me up for the sport they added an Eldritch Abomination clause to one of the rules that I think this would violate to the point of potentially getting our team banned from competition.

Agent Tesla: That was smart of them to do. Respect where it is due.

Code:
Word Count: 262