Create Account

S64 PT #3: Trick Play

WSBL PT

[Image: geRnYPO.png][Image: 0S9kFQ6.png]
Shout out Ragnarr for these two amazing sigs

Hockey Prompt

Trick plays aren't used much in the NHL because if you do one and it succeeds sure it's a cool highlight reel but if it fails you look like an ass for not doing the boring high percentage play. I'm order for a trick play to be viable, it has to be both likely to succeed and have little to no other options, the real skill (which few players have) is being able to identify those moments in real time. The most recent Zegras Michigan goal was an impressive highlight reel play but honestly I don't think it was a smart idea. I can't deny Zegras' talent but with Sonny standing in the way he was lucky it was successful. Maybe to promote more trick plays you can add something to the all-star game, instead of the shootout competition you can have a trick play competition to see who can do the coolest moves.

[Image: riU14F5.gif]

[img=0x0]https://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/sburbine.gif[/img]

HOCKEY PROMPT

Since trick play is an American football term, I find it very difficult to find comparables in hockey.

Football is built around planning and preparing plays and most of the time taken in a game is with this purpose in mind, meanwhile hockey is almost entirely fluid with planned plays occurring occasionally and usually without any obvious signs that it was a set play. I'd say plays in hockey are more often than not just systems and frameworks on how play should go in a specific scenario, as opposed to what will be attempted at this particular snap.

Not to mention, deception is built into the game. As the prompt alluded to, dekes in general, or the goalie equivalents. Hell, even tic-tac-toe's, or passing off the endboards in a waived-icing scenario. Deception is so baked into the fabric of hockey and in such small plays that it's so hard to use the term "trick play" with regards to hockey.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

Creative Prompt: What I wanted to do to pitch to my coach to push the boundaries of the sport, and get people excited on the highlight reel for the SHL is to implement the classic well known creative hockey play called the “Flying V” which can be seen in the Might Ducks movies. However I would want to modify the “Flying V” a little bit. What I would do is space out the “Flying V” and flip it. Preferably, put it on display during a power play as a playful nod to the original trilogy (although the audience might give it a nostalgic forgiveness if done at even strength too). In the trilogy, the Ducks go up the ice in an upside-down V (from the perspective of their goalie), so there is only one eventual destination for the puck. If the formation was flipped, so the team went up the ice in a V (from their goalie's perspective), there would be two outlets across the offensive blue line, making the play at least a bit more believable and giving the team utilizing the play different options

[Image: apSD6uj.gif]
[Image: leafsftw1967.gif] 

Malamutes  Stars Malamutes  Stars

CREATIVE PROMPT: My coach asked me to come up with a signature play that we could do multiple times a game. He also told me that the public, even the ones who barely have any hockey, should be able to recognize this play as something that is distinct to our team. He also hoped that the public would be able to come up with their own name for this play and that they would be able to call its name from the beginning of the play set up. The signature trick play that I came up with begin every time one of our players is in possession of the puck behind our own net without being pressured by the opposing team. Then, the four other players would come back behind the goal line and once everyone is in place, the puck carrier would start to move up with the five players forming a straight line going up the ice. This straight line would stay in place until the red line to provide multiple pass options to the puck carrier. Once we reach the red line (center ice), then both defensemen will drop back, and the forward would continue the attack.

198 words

Nor Ge
Citadelles

Salzberger Lillehammersson
norway Inferno World Falcons

Anders Christiansen
[Image: inferno.png] [Image: dragons.png] [Image: wolfpack2.png] [Image: stars.png] [Image: Dxdffra.png] [Image: hGKuRrv.png] [Image: sAx3Llh.jpg] [Image: firebirds.png]

ISFL Affiliate

[Image: b8XI874.png]
[Image: Qfss7w7.png][Image: Eo2nBCt.png]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]

PT passing.

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=661a1734&is=6607a234&hm=b8...1bf5caed8&]

WSBL Affiliate

[Image: sink.png]
[Image: Screenshot_2021-04-12_000020.png]

Okay the first step to get the game of hockey to the next level obviously has to be to start a podcast, you can't get anywhere in live today without having one. Also something something NFTs. Okay, now that we got the bare necessities out of the way, let's get to the actual meat... I think there are so many things you could do to revolutionize the game of hockey. First, let's get rid of all that obscenely big goalie gear and even the stick, just leave him with a glove and nothing else. Okay, two gloves. Oh and also make the net bigger while we're at it. Now in order to not have the scoring inflate too much due to these changes, we need more people defending the net, so let's flat out double the number of Skaters per team. Now with that many players it might get tough to actually get around on the ice so why not replace it with a surface that is better fitted for so many people but also easily accesible in most areas - how about grass? Of course we'd also need to lose the Skates in the process and also replace the puck with a more spherical object that is also significantly bigger so that you can actually see it in the grass. Okay we are almost done, the last thing to do would be to take away the players sticks because with so many guys running around simultaneously, that would just be too dangerous. So let's not have sticks and instead make it so that you are only allowed to play the ball with your feet as well because frankly, that just sounds hilarious.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

Perhaps the nest trick plays they have not yet happened in all of sports history was when the mighty ducks pulled off the incredible upset over Iceland. The key to this was a trick play that can be seen here. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-_MiFwvrPU
Now the forge are looking to any way they can to score more goals. And knowing that @honkerrs Scoochie Stratton will likely let in a bunch of goals anyways why not find a way to get him involved in the offense and actually contribute to helping the team. So with the long weekend approaching with the current schedule the coaching staff has now spent multiple days at practice to perfect this trick play. Stratton will fake coming to the bench but instead get his custom players stick shed his helmet and storm down the ice as the extra attacker. He will then set up for his commanding 1 timer shot! This will be the ultimate trick play that no one will see coming! Hey it worked in a fictional hockey movie so why not in a fictional hockey league as well. We will have to save this one for the dying moments we need that extra goal to take down the top teams in the league and our division rivals!

[Image: CaleSalad.gif]
[Image: kalesaladshl.gif]
some high fibre sigs are Powered by AllBran, 

Creative Prompt:

Everyone knows that you can shoot a puck in on a goalie and try to collect the rebound to score. Any center worth his salt has more than a few tip-in goals. The trickiest of shooters will put a puck into the net by way of bouncing off the goalie's back. We're going to elevate this situation to an entirely new level: teammate rebounding. No more need for tip-in goals or accurate shooting, when you can just fire the puck into your waiting teammate's chest, who will be positioned perfectly behind the defense to beat the goalie. As an interesting side-effect, all of the team's best shooters will now be getting nothing but assists, and the forwards who stand in the blue paint will see a dramatic rise in their scoring. Why not just remove the lurking threat behind the goalie? It would create too much vulnerability in the front of the net. Trick play achieved, TBB averages twelve goals per game, and the crowds lose their minds. Hockey may never be the same after this.

HOCKEY PROMPT

I have honestly never seen that play before and I think it's rather brilliant. It is true that this type of creativity is usually lacking in the NHL and I find it rather unfortunate because it would make the game more enjoyable to watch. That said, I don't believe it's something we'll be seeing a lot of in the future.

A big factor to this is that, unlike an Olympic tournament where you'll often only be playing the same team once, or twice at most, there are many more games in an NHL season. As soon as a team tries this once other teams will know to look out for it and they'll be able to counter it in the future. With that said, the game has been favouring more speed and creativity in the past few seasons and I hope to be proven wrong. Some of the younger players such as Zegras have already been pretty bold with their trick shots, so who knows.

167 words

PanthersPanthersPanthersPanthers

KnightsKnightsKnightsKnights

Code:
What do you pitch to your coach to push the boundaries of the sport, and get people excited on the highlight reel? Get as creative as you want. Do you need props? Weeks of setup? YEARS of setup? Is it a plan to win the whole game, or just to score one beautiful goal? No holds barred. (150+ words)

Aksel goes home after hearing that his coach needs trick plays, and stays up all night crafting the Wet Fish. His teammates 1) think the name is stupid because all fish are wet and 2) immediately dare him to use it in a game. The Wet Fish is simple but effective: Fiske charges down center ice right behind his center, receives the puck via a slick little drop pass, and then drops to the ice, pushes himself back up in a worm-like motion and uses the momentum to shoot a nice hard wrist shot. He stays after every single practice that week, practicing, and bugging any forward (or defense, he's not picky) to practice with him with a meal as a bribe. Finally, on game night, Fiske busts out the big guns. Utah has the puck, Fiske is right behind. They charge down center ice. Fiske gets the drop past. His Wet Fish is clean. The puck goes top shelf. The goal horn bellows.

The fans and media quickly dub the move "The Norwegian Worm." Aksel is devastated.

[Image: 1091735715194343496][Image: merh.gif][Image: 1091735379956211812]
[Image: jZtKPwK.png]    [Image: Thz4BYW.png]    [Image: ivBf7yq.png]    [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

[Image: merha.gif]
[Image: kvwHYOm.gif]
gay heghog

Yes, clearly trick plays should be in sports. If someone is not able to stop me from doing certain type of disguising plays its not my job to quit using those plays its essentially the opponent's job to mentally prepare to stop me from making that play and in theory thwart it with their own attack. It is not only supposed to make you more skillful, but also mentally challenge you against others. If I were to play chess and I made a specific move to perhaps redirect someone's thoughts and priorities to somewhere else on the board as a distraction to perhaps win a piece or win the game. I have therefore beat him within the guidelines of the game. If you were to get rid of trick plays then you would therefore need to get rid of dekes, and fake passes in hockey all because those in theory trick plays and that is simply apart of the game of hockey and traditionally has lead to some crazy games.

[Image: FR-B3jfXsAAvEaW?format=png&name=small]

Creative prompt:

This seems to be so much easier to do as a skater that actually is expected to score goals. They can simply come up with something funny or creative and are done with it. For us goalies even thinking about scoring a single goal during our career is a dream. That never happens. Especially in this league it really never happens. I think if any goalie scored a single goal that alone would be enough for a highlight reel. For us it has to be an empty net goal too, so if the situation is right I would simply have all my skaters randomly distract the opposing team's players (how should they do it? I don't care, they can come up with something - as long as it's legal), put up a nice sign like this on my net and then skate over to the other end of the ice with the puck and score a goal. There you have your highlight.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]