Create Account

S64 PT #3: Trick Play

Creative Prompt

When it comes to trick plays in hockey the first thing coming to my mind are the Mighty Duck movies where they are forming the duck V symbolizing ducks flying somewhere, and noone knows where the puck is, one scores inevitably a goal. While this may make sense for movies, I'm not really sure we can adapt that to real world simulation hockey. Also we aren't ducks, we are the Atlanta Inferno and symbolize firebirds. It's hard to get the element of fire on the ice, so that's a first thought in the wrong direction. I think what really symbolizes phoenixes the most is that they rise up after being dead, and that's something we could prepare for. It's also playing with fire metaphorically and fits to every highlight reel. We just let our opponents smash us in the first period, giving them a 3-5 goal lead. And in the 2nd and 3rd period it's our time, and we either win by a last minute goal, in overtime or with 3 goals, granting us regular showings in the highlights. What we have to train for is our mentality, being back 5 goals must not affect us in any way. We also have to train hard against defensive game plans of our opponents, and how to break that wall. So it'll need a lot of preparation to still be successful with such a game plan, but what aren't you trying for the show.

[Image: CcmpTg8.png][Image: sakro_-_withecheck_-_Inferno.png]

ISFL Affiliate

[Image: m38.gif]
Update Thread - Player Page
Update Scale

Former players:
Ivo Willems (S9 SMJHL) (S10-28 SHL)  
Xander Green  (S33-35 SMJHL) (S36-47 SHL)
Vorian Atreides (S49-51 SMJHL) (S52-61 SHL)

WSBL Affiliate

[Image: 57771_s.gif]

[Image: U66t7Jy.png][Image: CXrxOKM.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png][Image: zyyvIFD.png]

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

Hockey Prompt:

I think that anyone who says "trick plays" should not be in the sport, are just jealous of the players who pull them off because they would never have the skill to do it, or brainpower to even come up with the play. the lacrosse style goal that Zegras has done isn't some sort of impossible thing to stop, it's just goalies and defenders need to adapt to it because it's new. I think the main problem with these skill moves and trick plays is how the old motherfuckers who haven't been on the ice for 30 years talk about how if you're a skilled player you should expect a punch in the mouth or whatever they say. Skilled players will always be the target of more physical play, and that's fine because in every sport one of the ways to stop a skilled player is to overpower them, and hockey is a very physical sport, but saying they should be punched in the mouth is very stupid and if you say it, you shouldn't have a job in hockey broadcasting.

[Image: ROZESIG.png?ex=6622170a&is=660fa20a&hm=2...height=655]

Trick plays are hard to come by, because you have to make sure they’re within the rules and have to legitimately trick the opposing team. When I got the opportunity to come up with something, I knew what it had to be.

There’s a famous saying, that whenever you’re out playing your opponents, that you’re “skating circles around them”. Well why don’t we take that, and literally turn it into a trick play. The play is simple, when you’re in the offensive zone, one player simply skates circles around the zone. This leaves him completely free from marking, and can jump into any open space that he sees to be free. That could mean getting a back door pass from the point, could be taking the puck from the D and making a play, but the possibilities are endless. If the other team decides to play man and have someone skate around their own zone, then it’s 4 on 4, and you’ve got tons of open ice. The defensive player is always reactionary, so you can still get away with some clever setups, even with a man chasing.

[Image: Otrebor13.gif]

[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]  [Image: gdppv5N.png]

I think overall in hockey doing some of the trick plays is a risk versus reward situation. I think there are plenty of creative players in hockey currently, however if you screw the play up the negative effects of that are not necessarily worth it. First of all, it can lead to a possession against and maybe even a goal against. Second, there are still a lot of boomers within hockey who hate creativity and fun, and some still hold coaching and GM positions within hockey where that messaging can come down from the top and stifle that creativity up front. Another big factor is hockey media. While it is getting to the point where people celebrate fancy moves like Michigan’s or the Forsberg shootout trick, there are still people who get upset when they see anything outside of basic shots and passes, and it can be tough on a player to do a cool move only to here you’re ruining the purity of hockey.

[Image: OX6Yrrn.png]

[Image: hPSkjwC.jpg]
Thank you @xjoverax and @phoenix for the sigs!

(the first time I get to use this) PT Pass Smile

Berserkers Patriotes Finland
[Image: EX8JdSr.png][Image: yGcdOWc.png][Image: Bphj82E.png] [Image: BxfKXyg.png] Credit to Redderder15 for the sig
[Image: UDU9SiD.gif]

Creative Prompt:

My idea for a boundary pushing play would be akin to a power run in American football.  Imagine the flying V from the mighty ducks, but inverted so the puck carrier is behind stacked levels of teammates.  Instead of passing the puck to one another, each teammate would take out any opposing player that attempted to strip the puck.  Obviously you’d have to take out the refs before attempting to do this but it would definitely be worth it.  If you gave the puck to the player on your team with the best shot, then it is like a free breakaway every time you run the play.  Bodies flying everywhere, skating end to end with the puck until you rip a shot from the top of the circle and go top cheds, bar downski.  That is the vision, that is the plan, that is the dream.  We will execute, it will happen.  But again, no refs or linesman please.

[Image: murphy2.png]
[Image: NI78UUy.png?width=400&height=267]
[Image: Skree.gif]

Fileworker PT pass

[Image: RichSHL.gif]
Thanks to sulovilen for the sigs!
Adam Prpich Portal Link

Check out past episodes of Rich and Luke!

So the plan is so genius that I can’t even believe I honestly thought about it. Our trick play will involve strategically setting up explosives in the arena before the game starts. The goal here isn’t to injure or kill… but to distract.
You see, the explosives will be under the ice. And they won’t be insanely powerful. Just enough to make a scary sound, some rumbling, maybe crack the ice up, and if we’re lucky, get the goalie real confused and disoriented.
On top of that, our other trick up our sleeve is to load up every goalie’s water bottles with laxatives, so they gotta go dookie mid game and have to leave in a hurry.
That and we’ll script a bot to test sim for us thousands of times that way even though we’re in the bottom tier as far as TPE goes we’ll still win the title every single year.

Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab
[Image: 64012_s.gif]
Sigs by Me, Merica, High Stick King, Rum_Ham, Jess, vulfzilla, enigmatic, and Carpy
Stampede  Kraken
❤!! RIP to the big homies 701 and Mac !!❤

HOCKEY PROMPT: Written edition.

There are trick plays like the link mentioned and then there are just skill plays. Skilled plays like the Michigan are not much different from a fast pass from Gretzky's office to the man in front, a deflection, or even a sharp angle snap shot because you notice the goalie has left a gap. Sure, it can be frustrating to have happen to you. But in the end its solid for the sport.

Hockey is an arms race between gritty, hard nosed, head down players, and skilled guys. Masterful maestros of puck handling. Playmakers who can orchestrate whole sections of the game, weaving goals and plays out of nothing in a display of pageantry that is awe inspiring. Each goal lifting butts out of seats in jubilation.

In the end, Trick plays in Hockey are largely different from other spots. Its more like trick shots in Billiards or Darts as opposed to plays like in Basketball, Football, Soccer, and Baseball.

[Image: CptSquall.gif]

hockey prompt

Of course, such games are always viewable and enjoyable. But there are a variety of nuances that prevent them from happening. For example, by looking at the moment you mentioned with Ted Nolan's trick play I can say at once that it was subsequently banned in the various hockey leagues. All the more I enjoyed watching this moment than the latte. The goal scoring trick play is more a closing moment, already associated with individual craftsmanship and not already influenced by the team as such. I'm not saying, of course, that it's not beautiful, but it's a normal thing. Exactly the coaching ploys would be what we should see more, but why it isn't realized is hard to judge. However, the overall performance of the team is higher than the various tricks that could be developed. And they could be different. Not just run a player to a replacement. I'm about beautiful hockey and if this can improve the beauty of it, then only and only forward.

Prompt 1. Hockey is only exciting when there is a fight. So how about we spice things up with more fights. How to do accomplish this? Well instead of faceoffs we have face to face’s a face to face is two hockey players that fight until one taps out. The winner gets possession of the puck. Fans will be hyped up every time the whistle blows. Not to mention the extra interest in the sport from people that like watching fights. We could even sell tickets as dual tickets. Hockey and MMA. Maybe each team signs some MMA fighters to the roster. We can have our own fight card. In the event that both fighters are unable to continue both teams gain a puck. if it keeps happening we keep giving teams pucks. More pucks means more shots. Who doesn’t love shots. Its like all the best parts of hockey. Lots of shooting and lots of fights. Everyone wins except for the goalies but no one actually cares about goalies.

[Image: qm0v49d.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2022, 04:55 AM by Evil_AllBran. Edited 1 time in total.)

Creative prompt:

[Image: 5iaFCaf.png]

[Image: sigrotator123.gif]
 [Image: UEX4RCQ.png]  [Image: PHI-pepe2.png]  [Image: r2pSvNf.png]
Special thanks to Carpy48, Ragnar, Merica, High Stick King, Sulovilen, sothfacekilla, enigmatic and LeSizz for the signatures!

I think “trick plays” absolutely have a place in the game of hockey. As a professional athlete, you will do almost anything to gain an edge against the competition as well as both for yourself and your team. If you’re not trying something new and creative to gain that edge, you’re not trying hard enough. Likewise, you need to be prepared for anything. You have to assume teams are thinking of creative ways to gain an advantage just as much as you are.

Like you said, you don’t often see these types of things at the highest professional levels, especially the NHL. I think that’s because there is a huge emphasis on being efficient, getting as many high quality chances as you possibly can, and protecting the puck. There’s a time and a place for it. If teams were doing these types of things every time down the ice, they would be at the front of your opponent’s mind and they wouldn’t catch them off guard nearly as much.

HOCKEY PROMPT
[169 words]

[Image: the5urrealshl.gif]

[Image: 9TttCL9.png][Image: n25g4JC.png][Image: P0OHsLJ.png][Image: DS1jqys.png][Image: M98Qi4H.png]
[Image: KOKeZZJ.png]