Create Account

S64 Championship Week

CW Pass

[Image: 8E70VfU.png]

[Image: canadice.gif]
Thanks to @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @Carpy48 and @High Stick King, for the signatures

[Image: jZtKPwK.png] | [Image: RyzkmSj.png] | [Image: HKi05IH.png]

[Image: EzY5jpl.png]

CW pass

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

CW pass.

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]

SMJHL GM CW PASS

[Image: CnPenxE.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2022, 10:39 AM by OrbitingDeath. Edited 4 times in total.)

3 TPE - 1.  LetsJam

3 TPE - 4. A long time ago, when dinosaurs still ruled the world, they were already playing hockey. The game was even more brutal as it was today, and rumours go archeologists found parts of the dinosaurs from that time. From the remains found of these creatures the simulation hockey league decided to form the challenge cup. Which actually proved to be a real challenge, as the pieces just wouldn’t fit together. So in order to get an actual cup, they had to rework their idea, as ductaping old dinosaur bones just wouldn’t be a smart thing to do. So while melting different materials:  silver and nickel alloy, they actually mixed the dinosaur bones in it. So even though their original plan to create the challenge cup did not work, the remains of the first creatures playing hockey, are still a part of todays challenge cup. Due to this historic fact, it makes the challenge cup one of the most coveted items in the history of hockey.  (Words 164)

3 TPE - 5. The challenge cup is the more coveted trophy if you ask me for people not on the current Hamilton Steelhawks. While i am not saying winning a junior cup is easy, we all should strive for the biggest trophy in the league. Of course there are people who prefer to be smjhl lifers, but that is not for me. I want to lift that big trophy again and it might be one of the hardest things to win. As you not only have to build a winning team, but you also need to find a yet unfound exploit in order to remove the Hamilton Steelhawks from the playoffs. Many have tried and many have failed, so it seems to look harder and harder each season. Perhaps now Hamilton needs to rebuild their tenure will finally end, but winning that trophy is one of the hardest things. I only won 1 in almost 10 years on this site. I think that says enough.  (Words 162)

3 TPE - 7 -  Milestones

3 TPE - 11. [Image: wpgbowling.png]

2 TPE - 16. Rebecca Montagne originates from France, which does not play in the IIHF in the SHL. Due to this, Montagne had to look out for a new country to play for. During an extensive waiting period (as she was not allowed to be contacted) she already investigated possible locations. In the end two closeby countries contacted her, so Montagne could choose between Austria and Switzerland. In the end, Switzerland offered a backup spot for the first IIHF tournament that was upcoming, which was for her the biggest reason to go with France their neighbour country. So Montagne kept it close to home and was able to pay in multiple IIHF tournaments already. (Words 111)

Total tpe: 17 (incase i fucked up the trivia)

[Image: m38.gif]
Update Thread - Player Page
Update Scale

Former players:
Ivo Willems (S9 SMJHL) (S10-28 SHL)  
Xander Green  (S33-35 SMJHL) (S36-47 SHL)
Vorian Atreides (S49-51 SMJHL) (S52-61 SHL)

Task #1 - 3TPE
Verification: perkele

Task #2 - 4TPE
a) Given the fact that Chicago has been more succesful as a team in the last 7 seasons, including their cup run in S57 you would think that they would be the stronger team here, but I will have to give it to Atlanta and its young core that have been around from back in their bottom-4 days.

b) Well, Chicago have played more games so thats one factor that will add up to their total takeaways, but also they have played the easier bracket on their way to the finals. From Atlanta's point-of-view they need to be more direct and straightforward with their possession, if they wish to not add up to that ridiculous 97 total takeaways from Chicago.

c) I really think they will crumble now and take more penalties. Chicago's players are not easy to deal with and its Atlanta's first time in the finals, so the pressure which those games do apply is never before seen in the Inferno locker room. It does play a huge role in this series, and both teams will have to be on the lookout for penalties.

d) Chicago can only do that because their attacking core stretches out to 2.5 lines, whereas Atlanta has only 2 capable lines of doing so. Their third line mostly focuses on keeping their own end clean (from as far as I have witnessed the games). Against a strong capable third line, I think they cannot handle the pressure Chicago's third line is capable of putting up.

Task #3 - 4TPE
a) From Quebec's position, they cannot allow Newfoundland any form of possession on the blueline. You will never know if its going to be a shot or a pass from the blueline, especially from those 2 very capable defenders. They need to keep the outer edges of their own end very tight, while maintaining a strong lock in the middle area of their own end.

b) Three words: more tighter stickplay. You just simply cannot allow any of these 3 players to have any room to shoot, simply cause those percentages are MVP percentages. Newfoundland really need to play hard, skin-to-skin type of hockey, where they are forced to play out their opponents stick. If they are not capable of doing that, those 3 guys will keep that 20% success rate in the entire playoffs.

c) Once you get hot, you stay hot. Quebec will keep the flow going and maintain their hot streak, despite playing against one of the strongest teams in the modern era of junior league hockey. On the other hand, Newfoundland have always been succesful so I would not worry about having that low PDO, simply because they can produce regardless of the number.

d) If I was playing or coaching for Newfoundland, I would not worry. There is a reason that they have had their fifth consecutive finals appearance. But on the other hand for Quebec, they have found their success since their run in S58, therefore I would not worry either way. Just keep on doing what you do best, and it will all work out.

Task #6 - 3TPE
My dream team in the SMJHL would simply be just an offensive powerhouse capable of scoring like no other team has scored before. Starting up with the first winger is Robert Black That guy was just unstoppable assist machine back in his prime days. Next up, I would add Greyson Cooper as my first winger, who broke the most goals in one single season. Enough said, I assume. Next up, the forgotten piece of gold, James Boxman II. Pairing him up with a pure goalscorer like Greyson Cooper will make both of those players look incredible, as Boxman did with his partner on crime, Long John Donair in the junior league for Anaheim.

In defence, there is no question who would be added first. Axel Foley with his capped 425 build has probably been the best defender in the modern FHM capped era. On top of that, from recent performances that deserves a spot of Rand Al'Thor. You just cannot be that good in the junior league, nearly point per game from the defenders position. Last but not least, my goalkeeper is Jonas Johansson. Simply the best goalkeeper to ever play for the junior league, breaking records here and there.

Task #15 - 3TPE
Once again, we start with the flops of the upcoming IIHF tournament. From my perspective, Latvia once again has no chance in their group, simply because the talent that the other teams have in Latvia's group do outscale their own upcoming talent to the point of no contention, where as in group A Germany will fight against Czech Republic for the 6th and 7th seed. For the high contenders this season, Canada is looking very promising in group A on top of recent years upcoming team Finland. USA is the dark horse in group A, despite having a very good run for the gold medal last season. In group B, its a close battle between Sweden and Japan, where Switzerland and Great Britain will tail those 2 wonderful national teams. For the medals, there is no certainty which team will even get a medal, we have seen many dark horse runs end up in the gold medal (USA last season), same goes for individual players in their respective national teams. You never know if you are going to put up a show like Sven Svenson or Danny Marston in the recent years, but Mats Marner with his 51 goals in the regular season tends to be a good pick for the best performing player in the IIHF group stage

[Image: retu2.png][Image: iihf1.png?ex=65bcbcc0&is=65aa47c0&hm=800...d5443e8a9&]
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2022, 12:17 AM by Salming. Edited 2 times in total.)

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Verification word: Borje

2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Atlanta is a recent expansion team reaching it's first finals appearance. Chicago has been a dominant force in the league for a long time now, with their last cup win only seven seasons ago in Season 57. If you're betting on these finals, do you go for the experienced vets in Chicago, or the hungry Atlanta first-timers?

b. Chicago's lineup much more active with their sticks than Atlanta's, racking up 97 takeaways to Atlanta's 79. This late in the playoffs, how do you adjust to a team that's so adept at picking your pocket?

c. Atlanta has only 32 penalty minutes in these playoffs compared to Chicago's 45. With emotions high and the Challenge Cup on the line, do you think discipline will play a big role in this series? 
d. Similar to last season's finals, we see Chicago running a balanced ice-time attack against Atlanta's targeted approach that has some players seeing sheltered minutes. Last season the more balanced attack won out. Do you think we'll see the same again? Why or why not?

a) Chicago wins the series easily thanks to a clutch goalie Mat Smith. He has already one Challange Cup as a back-up and now he will lead Chicago to success as a starting goalie for the very first time. Atlanta is just learning to win hockey games and even one win in the series would be a miracle.

Words: 57

b) You have to just clean your own zone quickly and pass opponent's forecheckers that way. If you try to advance with small passes, Chicago will destroy you with its forechecking and have a lot of odd-man rushes. That's why Atlanta needs to play quickly in north-south direction and use dump-ins. There is my advice to win Chicago.

Words: 56

c) No. Chicago has a great PK and PP. Atlanta is just learning those skills in a tough adventure. Atlanta will be forced to take some penalties and Chicago will punish them surely. There is no doubt about that. So discipline doesn't matter because penalties always happen and Chicago will score a lot no matter if it is 5v5 or PP situatition.

Words: 61

d) Yes. Balance wins overloading always because you need to 15 skaters to trust. If you need to hide some guys, you are a weak team. Chicago will punish Atlanta a lot when Inferno's bad players are on ice because if your coach don't trust you, it reflects also on ice. That's why balance wins.

Words: 55

7. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 12 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

+3 TPE - Milestones S64

15. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Hype (150 words min.)
Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC! Do you think the same teams will be on top this year, or are we due for some turnover? How are you feeling about your country’s chances this time? Any players that you think will light up the tournament?

Like always, I expect big nations to succeed. Canada, Sweden, Finland, Russia and USA are powerhouses which should dominate IIHF event year after year because hockey culture is there something else than in for example in Japan, Great Britain, Ireland, Austria, Norway or Latvia. Sweden dominated round robin last year with perfect record and I expect them to have now more success in the playoffs too. I also expect that Germany's hockey will continue its rising season after season even though last year they were second worst team in the round robin However, they were already good couple seasons ago and are lead by Kanoff in the attack. From Nordic countries I expect that Finland will be even stronger this year after one year with less success. They are ready to win again like on season 62. When it comes to Russia, I expect the same. They are way too big hockey nation to underperform again which means everything lower than achieving a spot in the finals.

Words: 167

16. Written, 2 TPE, Home Country (100 words min.)
Why did you choose your IIHF country? Is it where you’re actually from? Is it where your friends play? Was it for a specific role play reason? I want to know how you decided where your player comes from!

I chose Finland because I am from that country. I have dreamed to play in a lion jersey since a little child. Finland is the best hockey country in the world when it comes to its population and number of registered players. I love its hockey which is based on togetherness and chemistry instead of individual stars. Five-man unit means everything and everyone needs to accept the play system if you want to win as a smaller nation. My player William Salming goes very well for Team Finland system because he is a two-way winger who is reliable with the puck and without it too. Good defence leads to good offence.

Words: 111

17. Written, 2 TPE, Substitute Teacher (100 words min.)

Hello! I am 11 years old, and as a part of the SHL Community Outreach Program– you, a famous hockey player, have to teach my Geography class in 15 minutes! You have to tell me and my classmates a couple of fun facts about your player’s IIHF country! Jump on Wikipedia or whatever and search up something weird or fun about where your player is from that I wouldn’t know! Get wacky, or get scholarly for all I care! Maybe you’ll actually learn something cool!

Good morning students. I am here today to teach you some interesting facts about Finland. First of all, we are the best hockey country in the world if you think about we have only five million people as a population. Second fact is Finland is a country with thousands of lakes and forests. There are a lot of space here because the country is 1100 kilometers long in north-south direction. It takes twelve hours at least to drive with a car from one end to another.  Third fact is capital is Helsinki but before that it was Turku. They are 200 kilometers apart each other and it takes two and half hours to travel from between them in the south coast. I recomment to visit in both cities because they have good hockey teams too.

Words: 135

+16 TPE, thank you

[Image: salming.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2022, 08:58 PM by High Stick King. Edited 4 times in total.)

Quote:1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Verification: doit

+3 TPE

Quote:4. Written, 3 TPE, Origin Story (150 words min.)
Everyone wants the Challenge cup… but how did it get here? Tell me the origin story of the Challenge Cup! Where did it come from? Who paid for it? Who forged it? What did it look like in Season 1 vs. now in Season 64? Has it changed a lot? Maybe it has been damaged?

So there is this odd piece of trivia about the Challenger Cup that not many people know about. This is something I heard from a reliable source who I completely trust.

In its infancy, the league was approached by a mysterious traveller who offered to donate a trophy for the winner of the league championship. This gift turned out to be the Challenger Cup. Little did the members of HO know at the time that this wasn't the only trophy crafted by this traveller. Nineteen were made: three trophies for the basketball sim leagues, seven trophies for the football sim leagues, and nine trophies for hockey. An additional trophy, the One Trophy, was forged by the traveller himself at Mount Thunderdome. The nineteen lesser Trophies were linked to the power of the One, and were dependant on it.

I didn't have the 12 hours to find out the entire story from my source but I'm sure it all totally makes perfect sense.

[ 165 words ] - +3 TPE

Quote:5. Written, 3 TPE, Cup Check (150 words min.)
Which league has the more prestigious cup in your opinion, the SHL or the SMJHL? Which cup is harder to win? A lot is said about the different skill sets required to GM in each league, so which do you personally think is tougher to manage? Is a trophy case with three Four Star Cups as cool as a trophy case with three Challenge Cups? Maybe you think it’s even cooler. Why?

SHL is the more prestigious cup in my opinion. It is the top league so it is the top award no question.

As far as which is harder to win? I'd definitely have to say the SMJHL unless you play for the Newfoundland Berserkers. A lot of people talk about the Steelhawks but since my time here, the Berserkers have been even more dominant which in turn makes it more difficult for others to win. Add on to that the scouting and drafting of potentially unknown individuals. It makes things more of a rollercoaster.

There is no doubt in my mind that managing the SMJHL is a much more difficult task. It is the front-lines for scouting and the potential problems that can crop up. There is a lot more hand-holding as well (although SHL isn't with its own share of that). There isn't as much attention paid to the SMJHL either with the majority of the league being in the SHL.

[ 167 words ] - +3 TPE

Quote:6. Written, 3 TPE, Dream Team 150 words min
You have to create the perfect SHL or SMJHL line for your player to be on. Who do you put on your line and why? Is it something about their style of play that compliments yours? Does it only include players from the present, or do you dip into the past to find an incredible D pair? Or are you just choosing your friends ‘cause they’d be fun to win the cup with?

Great question. Spack Jarrow is a shadow-playmaker winger who likes to mix things up after the whistle. So having a big presence on the line would be a nice addition. Since I don't know many of the players around the league I think I would choose my NEW fellow Winnipeg Aurora teammates so big 6'4 Ryuuji Kawashima at center. Add in 6'4 winger, Gonzo Gobbledygook on the other side of the ice and we have an amazing forward line.

Much like offense, defense would also be tough to choose but I would once again stick with those Aurora vets (never too early to start sucking up) so at left defense I would go with 6'4 Parker Smeb on the left side of the ice with 6'3 Marcel Beck on the right.

Then the perfect goalie to complete the line would be the obvious choice in Aurora's and my Swiss goaltender, Rebecca Montagne.

[ 159 words ] - +3 TPE

Quote:7. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
Milestones are folded in with CW. Just link your Milestone claim below this task for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.
Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

Milestone Link - +3 TPE

Quote:16. Written, 2 TPE, Home Country (100 words min.)
Why did you choose your IIHF country? Is it where you’re actually from? Is it where your friends play? Was it for a specific role play reason? I want to know how you decided where your player comes from!

Spack Jarrow is from the Caribbean Islands so there isn't many other players he could team up to take on other nations with unfortunately. Because of this lack of hockey governing body in his home country, Jarrow was an International free-agent essentially.

Spack showed a lot of interest in the IIHF during his rookie season including sending out several tweets advertising his availability. When the market opened, Jarrow expected several offers but only received one. That single offer was by Mitchell van der Heijden of Team Switzerland and was accepted with open arms. Spack Jarrow joined the nation of Switzerland as a fellow citizen. The only stipulation before signing was that Jarrow got the opportunity to play along side van der Heijden in at least one tournament. That promise was fulfilled last season when Spack Jarrow won the silver medal along side Mitchell van der Heijden at the S64 IIHF tournament.

What a wonderful nation. Thank you for having me so far Switzerland. It has been an honour!

[ 170 words ] - +3 TPE

Quote:20. Written, 3 TPE, Ruthless Capitalist (150 words min.)
Someone that looks like the Monopoly guy just gave you two million dollars and a two year deadline to make the SHL a growing and profitable business. What do you do with that seed money to make this an online platform that facilitates you milking as much money as possible from the users? ALTERNATIVELY, if you don’t want to be malicious, what would you do with 2 million dollars to improve the site and make it the best sim league in the world?

It is going to be difficult to explain in 150 words minimum how I stole $2 million from the league while not coming off like an asshole. I would definitely probably maybe spend a decent amount on the site. Like maybe $10,000? That's A LOT for a sim site. Offer prize money for things with it and maybe pay for some improvements I'm not sure. However I am definitely pocketing the other $1,990,000.

To be fair though. Who gives away $2 million to a website for simulated hockey? You can't blame me if someone is that insane. Maybe if I didn't take that money, they would give it to bad people who would do bad things with it? Look, the contract wasn't specific. I've already spent the money. Please stop asking about it. It is gone. I'm sorry how this all happened but I think it is best we go our separate way now.

[ 164 words ] - +3 TPE

[Image: yyo9APg.gif]

PT pass

[Image: KSelich.gif]
Thank you all for the amazing sigs & player cards
Germany Citadelles  Stampede [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: Raptors.png][Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: eE2UQZC.png] Stampede Citadelles Germany

3. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 5 (Maximilian Wachter, Alexis Metzler) at 16:25
5. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 6 (Steven Stamkos Jr., Brynjar Tusk) at 19:48
8. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 7 (Brynjar Tusk, Alexis Metzler) at 13:55
9. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 8 (Anton Fedorov, Mikelis Grundmanis) at 15:12
10. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 9 (Dickie Pecker) at 19:43 (Empty Net)
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2022, 05:45 PM by ZootTX. Edited 6 times in total.)

PBE affiliate (3 TPE)

1. Trivia - verification word: enchilada (3 TPE)

2. Written - Grab Bag (2 TPE):
a. I think most folks were rooting for the Inferno against the Steelhawks, and they are a great team. I don’t think they will roll over for the Syndicate. That said, I do believe Chicago will ultimately win out here, but it will take 6 or 7 games. Whether that will make me feel better about getting knocked out of the playoffs by them is beside the point! (67 words)

c. While Atlanta has fewer penalty minutes than Chicago does, I think that is more the result of some conservative tactics than Chicago being less disciplined. I think that Atlanta will need to crank up the aggression a bit if they want to have a chance to win the series and so we’ll see them rack up a few more penalty minutes than previously. (63 words)

7. Milestones, 1 TPE: +1 TPE - Milestones

16. Written, 2 TPE, Home Country
I chose the country of Austria as my IIHF country as a large number of my league friends had joined or were joining as Austrian. I have never been to Austria, and I’m not sure any of my fellow ‘Austrians’ are actually Austrian except for my friend r0tzbua. Who is an Austrian living in Canada. Unfortunately I think most of my friends have gone IA, however, I do not regret joining Austria (our tag line is ‘Small but Mighty’,) in fact I am currently the IIHF Fed head and we managed to scrape our way into the IIHF playoffs last season for the first time since S55!

107 words

21. Written, 3 TPE, Epic Loot
Miguel is asleep one night, dreaming of home, hockey, and horchata, when there is a knocking at his door. Confused as to who would be bothering him at this time of night, he reluctantly answers the door to find a rep for a mysterious hockey gear company claiming to have invented ‘materia’ which can be constructed into any piece of gear he wants. The rep goes on to claim it will give him secret hockey powers, but only one and he’ll have to decide what piece of gear he wants and what it does right now, no second chances. Miguel is pretty sure this is just a wild dream resulting from the sus tacos he had for dinner, but goes along and decides he wants a helmet made for him that gives him pinpoint shooting accuracy. However, he doesn’t just want a plain helmet, he wants one that looks fearsome and crazy and constructed like a Japanese Samurai helmet. Miguel spends the next several days pondering this strange ‘dream’ until one day he returns from practice to find this helmet and he never misses the goal again (the goalie can still block the shot, though.)

195 words

22. Written, 2 TPE, Be Nice
I’d like to take a minute to give some well deserved recognition to former San Francisco Pride GM Henrik. Henrik was literally the first SHL GM who reached out to me in scouting (even though I already knew AgentSmith). And we had an outstanding conversation. The Pride took a chance on me in the first round, even though I knew some folks questioned whether I’d stick around the league or not. The Pride were in the middle of a re-build and we struggled a lot my first few seasons but Henrik was always a positive presence in the locker room. Henrik stepped down from GMing after last season but fortunately stuck around as a player, as we finally won a playoff series. In fact we won 2 and took Chicago to 7 games in the Conference championship! So thanks Henrik for being a great friend to many!

147 words

[Image: zootshl.gif]
Sig credits: OrbitingDeath & enigmatic

[Image: hUtg6sH.png][Image: Voi7GNj.png]

Timber Scarecrows pride Aurora France
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2022, 09:48 AM by takethehorizon. Edited 6 times in total.)

Code:
20. Written, 3 TPE, Ruthless Capitalist (150 words min.)
Someone that looks like the Monopoly guy just gave you two million dollars and a two year deadline to make the SHL a growing and profitable business. What do you do with that seed money to make this an online platform that facilitates you milking as much money as possible from the users? ALTERNATIVELY, if you don’t want to be malicious, what would you do with 2 million dollars to improve the site and make it the best sim league in the world?

I would start with having someone much smarter than me create a new platform - more similar to the NHL video game series where simming is the focal point. Teams would have full customization over their rinks, player jerseys, stats, etc. This would make the sim portion look much more attractive visually and hopefully bring in a bunch of new visitors. I would next use the money to up branding. More advertising on hockey platforms, commercials if possible, shirts, jerseys, etc. I would try to market it as "can't be a star in the real national hockey league? be a star in a sim league". Reaching out to actually NHL players and become a sponsor on the Spittin' Chicklets pod would really help too. Perhaps also creating an app friendly version of the sim league site would be helpful as everyone is turning to mobile devices. All of these things combined would make for a booming site with lots of members and a better overall experience for users. Now give me my 2 mil..

Word Count: 173

Code:
21. Written / Graphic, 3 TPE, Epic Loot (150 words min.)
A hockey gear manufacturer has developed a substance called “Materia” that allows them to imbue hockey gear with incredibly powerful abilities. They’ve come to you to ask for your endorsement, and to help you design your own piece of magical hockey gear. What piece of gear do you design? What do you make it look like? Is it an unassuming piece of equipment that can fly under the radar, or do you go for some wild steampunk thing? What insane magical bonuses and benefits does it give you? ALTERNATIVELY for a graphic task, show me your player wearing the piece of gear you designed! Show how its power is benefiting them.

The 'hoalie glove'. Instead of the average 'goalie glove' this magical puck stopping/catching piece of equipment would basically have a mind of it's own and the ability to track and catch pucks without you have to lift a finger. Everything about it visually looks like a goalie glove, however it glows white and every time a save is made it hums like a pipe organ. This would be the ultimate piece of equipment for goalies and would seemingly be a cheat code to use. It would stop all shots on the upper half of the net and leave the goalie just to deal with low shots needed to be saved with pads. The catch to this amazing piece of equipment is that it is only active during the regular season and loses it's power after 60 minutes is played. So the glove would not have powers in games that go into overtime and playoff games. This would help teams make it into the playoffs but leave them fending for themselves once the postseason begins.

Word Count: 175

Code:
5. Written, 3 TPE, Cup Check (150 words min.)
Which league has the more prestigious cup in your opinion, the SHL or the SMJHL? Which cup is harder to win? A lot is said about the different skill sets required to GM in each league, so which do you personally think is tougher to manage? Is a trophy case with three Four Star Cups as cool as a trophy case with three Challenge Cups? Maybe you think it’s even cooler. Why?

The two leagues are very different in my opinion - it's hard to gauge which league would be 'tougher' to win a cup but if I had to choose, I would select the SHL and here's why. The SMJHL league is currently capped at 425 so you have a much smaller window for players to earn to reach the ceiling then you do in the SHL. I understand the randomness of the SMJHL when choosing to sign players, because users are still determining whether they'll be sticking around or not. However, the SHL has the same thing but on a slightly larger scale and with bigger risks. If a team selects a first round pick and the user suddenly goes inactive that is a HUGE loss for the franchise that will have effects on the team for seasons to come. Another point is I believe GMing to be slightly more difficult than in the SMJHL. The risks are higher, the players TPE levels are more diverse and the competition is fierce. Not to take anything away from the SMJHL of course. I do believe the SMJHL recruiting is more difficult but taking the other two topics into consideration, that is why I believe it's harder to win the Cup in the SHL.

Word Count: 211

Code:
Milestones are folded in with CW. Just link your Milestone claim below this task for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

Milestone Claim +3

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Verification Word: Moisty

Code:
22. Written, 2 TPE, Be Nice (100 words min.)
I’ve seen this prompt used from time to time and I think the end of my first full season as PT director is as good of a time as any. Use this 100 words to give a compliment to someone in the community that you appreciate! Whether it’s a friend, a GM, a PT director, or one of those amazing folks that designed the card website– try to make someone smile with some kind words!

I would like to highlight everyone that is involved in making the SHL a better place. This is all of the members on HO, GMs, updaters, simmers, recruitment, bankers, card creators, PT directors - everyone! The SHL has gotten alot of hate in recent months with really toxic outbursts that have inevitably led to users leaving the site - which is an absolute shame. I try my best to not read into all the 'crap' and have a good mindset before logging in everyday. I want to thank those people who are similar and just want to make the SHL a better place. I think we're moving in the right direction and excited where this forum will be in years to come. 

Word Count: 120

3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 2 = 17 Total

[Image: takethehorizon.gif]
[Image: IdMkYiH.png]

[Image: NIYtQkE.png] [Image: NjFSX1z.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2022, 07:41 AM by the5urreal. Edited 3 times in total.)

Code:

moist
3 TPE

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Atlanta is a recent expansion team reaching it's first finals appearance. Chicago has been a dominant force in the league for a long time now, with their last cup win only seven seasons ago in Season 57. If you're betting on these finals, do you go for the experienced vets in Chicago, or the hungry Atlanta first-timers?
b. Chicago's lineup much more active with their sticks than Atlanta's, racking up 97 takeaways to Atlanta's 79. This late in the playoffs, how do you adjust to a team that's so adept at picking your pocket?
c. Atlanta has only 32 penalty minutes in these playoffs compared to Chicago's 45. With emotions high and the Challenge Cup on the line, do you think discipline will play a big role in this series? 
d. Similar to last season's finals, we see Chicago running a balanced ice-time attack against Atlanta's targeted approach that has some players seeing sheltered minutes. Last season the more balanced attack won out. Do you think we'll see the same again? Why or why not?

a. I would have to go with the experienced vets of the Chicago Syndicate. Not really for the players though. The management there has proven that they know how to win, and even with the recent changes to help improve parity, were still able to make it to the finals. Looks like they’ll be even better next season…
[57 words]
b. I think the only way to adjust is to change your tactics. Having been out of FHM for a while, I couldn’t say exactly how, but moving the puck around would be the easy answer. Players getting caught with the puck for too long without is what leads to takeaways, so having the players moving around while also keeping the puck moving should help prevent unnecessary turnovers.
[67 words]
c. I wouldn’t say that discipline will play a big role in the series, but it could very well be a factor. However, Chicago is a pretty good team defensively and have one of the best goaltenders in the league, so taking an extra penalty here and there probably isn’t a big deal as long as it’s worth it.
[58 words]
d. I don’t think it’s going to work out that way this season. Chicago is extremely top heavy and that top is really good at scoring goals. Atlanta runs a more balanced attack, but there isn’t any one line or one player that is really carrying them. I think the Syndicate will take the series win running out their heavy lifters often.
[61 words]
4 TPE

Code:

These are good questions and ones that I have discussed or seen discussed in locker rooms before and I definitely lean to one side more than the other.

The Challenge Cup is the most prestigious cup without a doubt. It’s the big league with the best players, more teams, more experienced management, and more tactics to consider. You put in more time considering your opponents strengths and weaknesses and how to exploit them. Unless of course you have something that tells you what to do. Then it’s simple.

All that said, I also think the Challenge Cup is harder to win. Probably for the same reasons mentioned above, but also because the players in the SHL are the most active and most dedicated of the user base. Once a powerhouse team gets assembled, they’re tough to beat until regression takes its toll.

When it comes to management though, the SMJHL is certainly more difficult. When it comes to drafting players, there are some known commodities but also plenty of new blood. If you don’t have a top pick or there’s a shortage of recreates, finding a sure thing can be extremely difficult. When you get unlucky and draft multiple players that go inactive, that’s pretty much a lost season.
[209 words]
3 TPE

Code:
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 12 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

Milestones
2 TPE

Code:
13. Graphic, 2 TPE, Put a Ring On It
No, this task isn’t going away yet. I’ve decided it can stay… for now. Design a championship ring for either team, you may use the fancy ring site. Here's a link: https://designer.trophysmack.com/productdesigner/index/index/id/97/template/MTUz/cid/MzMwMDA2MzU2Mjk2Mjk=

[Image: quWsbfI.png]
2 TPE

Code:
18. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Congratulations, procrastinator!  Through your terrible time management skills, you’ve unlocked a special task! [TEAM] has won it all! Were the playoffs as you expected this year, or were there some surprises? Did anything stand out to you about this season’s final series?

I can honestly say, for the first time since I have been a player in the SHL and SMJHL (which is five seasons), the SHL playoffs did not play out in the way that I expected. I think HO deserves some credit for making changes in the interest of parity that actually seem to have worked. That’s not to say someone is going to come along and figure out a way to game the system again, but it was very nice to see some new faces in the final four and especially the finals. Chicago does look like they’re not going anywhere quite yet after picking up Kondos, but some of the big teams have finally fallen off and it’s a breath of fresh air.
[125 words]
2 TPE

[Image: the5urrealshl.gif]

[Image: 9TttCL9.png][Image: n25g4JC.png][Image: P0OHsLJ.png][Image: DS1jqys.png][Image: M98Qi4H.png]
[img=0x0]https://imgur.com/KOKeZZJ.png[/img]

CW Pass

[Image: jumbobone19.gif]
[Image: 9tINabI.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: xc2IPJy.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: wW0VNnL.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM @sköldpaddor @Merica for the Sigs
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2022, 05:08 PM by karlssens. Edited 2 times in total.)

Code:
karl

Code:
A. No knock on Atlanta here, but I didn't have them making it out of round 2 in the tough eastern conference. They have a competitive squad, but I don't see them as a Challenge Cup team. Chicago on the other hand has the experience and the top end talent that make them look like a true champion team. If I had to put money on it I'd go Chicago all the way, but for the league I'm rooting for the 1st time Challenge Cup appearance Inferno.
B. It's tough to say. I can't tell if the takeaway's occur while carrying the puck or attempting to complete a pass. If they're clogging up the passing lanes then I'd suggest trying to carry the puck more. If they're double manning the puck carrier to force a turnover then look for the open skater. Beyond that though I think the Chicago defense/goaltending as a whole is suffocating and very difficult to compete against. I'm not surprised to see this stat.
C. I think discipline plays a huge role in the playoffs. While it's not impossible to score while down a man on the PK it is very difficult. The much more likely scenario is they score on the man advantage and put you further in the whole. If you can stay out of the box I think it significantly improves your odds of winning the game and therefore the Challenge Cup.
D. If you have a deep team that's possible of properly executing a balanced attack (like the Syndicate) then I agree it's best to use that strategy, but if you're team doesn't have that kind of quality depth then I would definitely load up the lines and favor the top two/three lines. It's not ideal, especially for the unlucky fellas that lose the ice time, but it does give you the best chance to win each night.

Code:
I haven't been involved in the SMJHL since before the switch to FHM so I may be a bit out of touch on this one, but in my opinion the SHL Challenge Cup is more difficult to win than the Four Star Cup. For starters there are more teams and a more diverse array of builds to choose/counter so the road to even get to the finals is more challenging. Secondly as a GM you need to manage the talent you have better because if someone is under utilized or putting up poor performances there is the chance they simply leave in FA for greener pastures. On the flip side I do see a few arguments for the Four Star Cup being more difficult to win. Whereas SHL teams have a more diverse variety of builds most SMJHL players have very similar ones, so each small tweak as a coach is much more important since TPE is so tight and you can't win on TPE alone. Secondly, with so many teams around the same TPE, it invites a lot more "sim luck" in to the playoffs, which can be frustrating. One thing is for sure though and that's building a perennial contender in the SMJHL is certainly more difficult given the high turnover of players so when you do make it to the Four Star finals you really want to make the most of it.

Code:
6. Written, 3 TPE, Dream Team 150 words min
You have to create the perfect SHL or SMJHL line for your player to be on. Who do you put on your line and why? Is it something about their style of play that compliments yours? Does it only include players from the present, or do you dip into the past to find an incredible D pair? Or are you just choosing your friends ‘cause they’d be fun to win the cup with?
I'm a big fan of winning so while playing with my buddies would be fun, I wanna see some results! My dude is old as hell and knocking on the door of retirement so he won't be making any dream teams in his current form, but back in the late S50's he was a stud and even won a Stevens Award. We'll use S56 Karlstraße Scholz as the building block for my line. My defensive partner will be Texas Renegade's Ryosuke Sato. Kahnwald out of LA would be good too, but we already got the offensive minded Scholz so the big bruising Sato will slide in nicely beside him. Up front I want Mats Marner, the goal scoring machine of S64 who led the league with 51 genos, Theo Kondos, the silky smooth passer with a strong 2 way play, and Ryu Jones, the points leader of S64 and the main driver for the dominant Baltimore Platoon squad.

Code:
Scholz claim 2

Code:
16. Written, 2 TPE, Home Country (100 words min.)
This one is a bit of a funny story. At the time of creation I left my country as "undecided/international" so I could be groomed by each country. At that time I was still a GM and since I didn't get to enjoy my player being selected 112th overall I decided to get my thrills on the IIHF front. Several of the players on my team were IIHF heads and several more reached out, but I kept putting it off because I didn't want to make a pick and hurt people's feeling. People slowly became impatient and eventually the team Norway head went over my head and submitted the transfer for my player and pinged me without approval. Norway was in my top 2 destinations so I took it as fate, accepted the transfer, and joined the Norwegian boys.

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2022, 10:16 PM by Leafs4ever. Edited 7 times in total.)

Task 1: (3 TPE)

Verification: Strongo

Task 2: (4 TPE)

a. Atlanta is a recent expansion team reaching it's first finals appearance. Chicago has been a dominant force in the league for a long time now, with their last cup win only seven seasons ago in Season 57. If you're betting on these finals, do you go for the experienced vets in Chicago, or the hungry Atlanta first-timers?

I'm putting all my money on the Chicago Syndicate. They have a far superior team and are proven in the playoffs. The Inferno are riding a heater right now, but they haven't faced a team like Chicago yet. Their elite depth is going to overwhelm Atlanta in this series. Very rarely does the first-timer win, they usually need to experience that painful loss first and I think that happens here. (70 words)

It's going to hurt Atlanta for sure. When you know that the opposition is adept at stealing the puck you play that much more cautious. You don't want to be the player that gives the puck away at a crucial time, so you're going to be more conservative. That's going to hurt Atlanta because they aren't as talented as Chicago and will need to be creative and try to catch Chicago off guard. This isn't a good combination for Atlanta and it will affect their game plan tremendously. (88 words)

c. Atlanta has only 32 penalty minutes in these playoffs compared to Chicago's 45. With emotions high and the Challenge Cup on the line, do you think discipline will play a big role in this series?

I honestly don't think this gap is going to matter in this match up. I expect Chicago to have the puck much more than Atlanta which should result in more penalties for Atlanta. Also, Chicago has been here before and knows what emotions go into playing in a final. I think it's going to throw Atlanta off and if they chase the game like I expect, they're going to take more risks and in turn get penalized more. (78 words)

d. Similar to last season's finals, we see Chicago running a balanced ice-time attack against Atlanta's targeted approach that has some players seeing sheltered minutes. Last season the more balanced attack won out. Do you think we'll see the same again? Why or why not?

We will see the balanced attack win again. Chicago has such good depth that they are able to throw each line out equally and still be dangerous. Atlanta can't hide half their team against Chicago because any one of their lines can score. Depth always shows itself in a long playoff run and Atlanta can't rely on a few players to finish the job, not against a deep team like Chicago. (71 words)

Task 3: (4 TPE)

a. Newfoundland has gotten 25 points in 11 games from two of their top D, Rand al'Thor and Mikko Rashford. If you're Quebec's coach, how do you adjust to Newfoundland having guys on the blue line that are just as offensively dangerous as the wingers?

It really wrecks your game plan. There are so few defencemen that can affect the game offensively like these two. Not only do you have to organize yourself to defend the forwards in the neutral zone and defensive zone, but now you need to have a player patrol the blue line and take away any passing and shooting lanes that are there. That is going to take away a player from the front of the net or leave a forward open along the boards. It's a really tough challenge. (89 words)

b. Quebec has three players shooting 20% or better in Bertrand, Utah, and Kidd. If you're the Newfoundland defense, how do you find a way to bottle up three forwards that can't seem to miss the back of the net?

Honestly, you hope that those players regress to the mean. Shooting 20% is very unsustainable and you can't expect them to continue that for at least 4 more games. However, you can't rely on that alone, so I think the game plan should be to disrupt their vision as much as possible. Try and have player in their face every time the puck is on their stick. Don't let them see the net for any shot attempt. (77 words)

c. Looking at each teams' PDO, we see that Quebec is riding a bit of a hot streak while Newfoundland has actually been a bit unlucky. Do you think this a is a good thing for either team? Is Newfoundland bound to find some luck, or are they going to get stuck in a rut? Is Quebec going to come back down to Earth, or did they get hot at the right time?

Numbers always regress to the mean, it just depends how long you ride it out until that happens. If you follow that logic, Newfoundland should bounce back while Quebec comes back down. However, obviously you want to be on a hot streak any chance you can get, like Quebec, you just need to hope it can last just a few more games. (62 words)

d. Newfoundland has appeared in all 4 of the last SMJHL finals and won 3 of them. Quebec, a consistently strong presence in the SMJHL, has a lot of playoff success behind them as well, having won several series since their last 4 Star in S58. How do you approach this series mentally on either side? If you're Newfoundland, are you worried your streak can't last forever? If you're Quebec, do you fear that you can't take down a goliath?

If you're Newfoundland, it's like you're playing with house money. You've done this before, won before, and every appearance feels like a cherry on top. It lets you play much more loose and free. You can take extra chances and not play too stiff. For Quebec, it's been a while since you've won and that can creep into your head. Is this the last time we're going to be here? You find yourself gripping your stick super tight and scared to make a mistake. That's tough to overcome. (88 words)

Task 7: (3 TPE)

3 TPE from Milestones

Task 22: (2 TPE)

I'm going to take this time to shout out our new commissioner, WBF. During the interview process, he took our questions and challenges in stride and was honest with himself and us. He knew he came in with a controversial reputation and most people would have used that as an excuse, but he didn't. He addressed it, accepted that he had work to do to fix it, but didn't let it stop him from showing that he was the best person for the job.

Ever since he took the reins, I believe he's done a great job building stability and also moving this league into brighter times. This is a tough, tough job, but his temperament has been a huge asset for him and his team. I'm excited to see this league under his watch.

(135 words)

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 76
0-0-0
Regular Season - [G 0] [A 0] [Pts 0] [+/- 0] [PIM 0] [Hits 0] [SB 0]

[Image: ERs3IrD.png]