Create Account

Otis Boudreaux - The Irish Kid - Pt 1 2x Media
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2022, 06:09 PM by Otis Boudreaux. Edited 3 times in total. Edit Reason: clarify claim )

Somewhere buried in all of the labyrinths of the SHL, there is the introduction of an Irish lad named Otis Boudreaux and his trip to the United States to try to get a start in the sport he loves, ice hockey. But sadly, I feel it has been lost in the caverns of information known as the internet. So in the interest of brevity, and the hope that it will someday be discovered and all about my past will be revealed, I will just start with the present, or the near past.

I had won the bet and had enough money to fly to America and try to get my start as a Right Winger in the Land of the Big Ice, North America. But what was I to do? I didnt know anyone, I had no clue where to go or even who to talk to. I had a hockey stick on my back, a pair of skates over my shoulder and a heart full of passion to find someone who would take a chance on this unknown Irish Kid. 

This is where the internet can be your friend, or in this case, mine. I was living in New York and found a rink I could skate at, practice at and hopefully be discovered at. I was there when the rink opened and didnt leave until it closed. I brought some food with me, would go out and eat in on a bench out front, and lived on the ice the rest of the time. Little did I know that the rink owner was a hockey bum and had friends in the business, so to speak. 

One day, when I was coming off of the ice, he called me over and asked me what my plan was. He asked did I really want a shot at the big time? I am not sure what words stumbled out of my mouth, I felt like it has all been a dream...but the next thing I knew I was on the phone with the owner of the Colorado Raptors. He told me the rink owner had shot some videos of me on the ice. The rink owner had sent them to him and he liked what he saw. I almost dropped the phone when he asked me if I wanted to sign with the Raptors. I somehow said yes and slide to the floor. 

The old rink owner, I found out his name was Veeti and that he had come over, just like me, but he was from Finland, to make a name for himself. But it didnt work out for him and he hoped it would for me. He explained I would be given a $1.0M contract. I never told him that I really needed the money, I thought my track winnings would be enough, but damn, it is expensive to live in New York City! I was down to my last $1500. So I now had a contract, some money and I was a Professional Hockey Player! 

The Raptors were entering the postseason and I was a backup. But I was on a team, in a locker room, I was a PROFESSIONAL HOCKEY PLAYER!! So get it up ya all who said I wouldnt make it!!

I cant remember much, except we lost in the playoffs, I think it went to 7 games after we had a 1st round bye. That sucked we didnt win it all, but then, that would have been just too much!

So now, I become a free agent, I work as hard as I can again and hope to get drafted to a SMJHL team. I wont lie, it was great being on the Raptors and I wouldnt mind going back there, but who knows. I am now getting interviews from other GMs. I even got asked to be the Assistant General Manager for the British Isles team in the World Junior Championships!! I am learning quite alot in this role. Luckily I have a great teacher who is patient and asks for my input. The best part is that I am even on the team! Okay, yea, I am the lowest rated forward, but I am pretty sure I will see the ice occasionally. Maybe we will even play in Ireland!!

Maybe that is for the next time, sharing how we have won it all, now that would be a nice ending!!

Otis "The Irish Kid" Boudreaux
RW - Quebec City Citadelles - S66

more like GOATis

[Image: Z8yXihx.png]