Create Account

Graphics Department Catch-up and AMA
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2022, 07:08 AM by Ruggsy. Edited 5 times in total.)

How goes it SHL, Ruggsy the Graphics Assistant here. As you may know we recently updated the graphics grading system as well as a 20% increase the graphics payout scale. This happened along with the media departments similar payout changes. This with the big money sink that is SHL I-C-E level cards, It seemed like a great time to do a nice refresh and make sure everyone in the league knows who we are, what we do, and how we can help you. At the end we will open it up for a AMA if anyone has any questions about the amazing world of SHL graphics.

Let me start with a quick breakdown of how you can make some good SHL money with the graphics department. 

We accept an extremely wide variety of graphics, with the main guideline being if its visual art (or at least a genuine attempt) and its SHL related we will grade it.Every category also has had a 20% increase in payout that started with our March 11th changes. 

Our current categories are:
Signatures (150K - 1.500M) - Also includes site banners
Hockey Cards ($70K - $350K) - If you only do hockey cards you can do up to 6 in a week
Jerseys ($300K - $900K) - Three 3/3 Jerseys that form a set receive $300K bonus 
Logos ($300K - $900K)
Wallpapers ($300K - $900K) - Plus a mobile version for a $200k bonus
Art ($200K - $1M) -  Also the catch all for everything unspecified. Hand drawn art receives a 2x bonus
Video Submissions ( $50K - $6M)

Click here to see further information about the graphics grading rubric and how these grades are decided

Please feel free to join the SHL Graphics Discord, there are some amazing league artists in here willing to help you get started along with the graphics department members themselves. 

Now to end it off the floor is yours, If you have any questions about how we run things let them loose. Any comments, concerns, suggestions and inquiries here, or feel free to DM one of us.

Specifically Participating are: (but other graders could jump in who knows!) 

@Carpy48 - Graphics Head
@Evil_AllBran - Graphics Co-Head
@Ruggsy - Graphics Assistant
@Gordon Bombay - Graphics Assistant
@ctots - Graphics PR
@Ragnar - Grader Representative

will be split later pls 

Hi ragnar

[Image: arTbD7O.png]

Germany Berserkers Stampede Stars Barracuda syndicate

05-01-2022, 10:46 PMLime Wrote: Hi ragnar
you forgot to ping him @Ragnar

05-01-2022, 10:46 PMLime Wrote: Hi ragnar

Hi

Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab
[Image: 64012_s.gif]
Sigs by Me, Merica, High Stick King, Rum_Ham, Jess, vulfzilla, enigmatic, and Carpy
Stampede  Kraken
❤!! RIP to the big homies 701 and Mac !!❤

I have a question: why is nobody asking questions?

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]

05-04-2022, 11:15 AMCarpy48 Wrote: I have a question: why is nobody asking questions?

I don’t know :( makes me sad

Sigs by Me, Merica, High Stick King, Rum_Ham, Jess, vulfzilla, enigmatic, and Carpy
Stampede  Kraken

Sorry I'm late to the party.

Why the recent uptick in value compared to previous seasons/years for the various submission?

What sort of graphic software do you expect people to be able to use?

What all can we do to be better engaged and informed with the world of graphics?

Why aren't video's graded higher considering that they have far more investment and fewer submissions than traditional graphics?

When will we have a cleanup / refresh of resources in the graphics forum? (I mean, we have regular resource sub forum of team logos and stuff...but then there's a bunch of other threads with good info that could be condensed)

05-06-2022, 04:41 PMChevy Wrote: Sorry I'm late to the party.

Why the recent uptick in value compared to previous seasons/years for the various submission?

If by value you mean payout, I’d say it’s because we want more people engaged.

Photoshop is king. You won’t put out a top notch product with the other programs.

What all can we do to be better engaged and informed with the world of graphics?

Participate in graphics contests, bring up ideas for contests, tell us how we can do better, request more sigs (my shop will go weeks without a request)

Why aren't video's graded higher considering that they have far more investment and fewer submissions than traditional graphics?

I’ll leave this to someone higher up than me

When will we have a cleanup / refresh of resources in the graphics forum?  (I mean, we have regular resource sub forum of team logos and stuff...but then there's a bunch of other threads with good info that could be condensed)

id love to take this project on and get a one stop tips thread made for sigs

Stampede  Kraken
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2022, 07:41 PM by Ruggsy. Edited 1 time in total.)

05-06-2022, 06:11 PMRagnar Wrote: What sort of graphic software do you expect people to be able to use?

Photoshop is king. You won’t put out a top notch product with the other programs.

Participate in graphics contests, bring up ideas for contests, tell us how we can do better, request more sigs (my shop will go weeks without a request)

I’ll leave this to someone higher up than me

some things I'd add to these

Quote:What sort of graphic software do you expect people to be able to use?

We don't really 'expect' anyone to use anything. Personally I would love to see more hand drawn art. Photoshop is great, but gimp is pretty damn good as well as a more complex editor. If you need help figuring out what to use the graphics server would be a good help.

Quote:What all can we do to be better engaged and informed with the world of graphics?
Graphics Discord and the Graphics twitter are probably the two best options. Plus in the graphics discord you can get feedback on stuff your working on or stuff you already submitted. 

Quote:Why aren't video's graded higher considering that they have far more investment and fewer submissions than traditional graphics?
I wouldn't say they are graded lower. The maximum pay is 6 mil for a video vs 1.5 max for a sig so the potential is way higher. If you mean the grades themselves, its a different grading scale so you cant really compare them directly. Besides that its a case to case thing, but if someone was upset with their video grade I'd say best bet is to reach out to Carpy to talk about it.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2022, 02:18 AM by Carpy48. Edited 1 time in total.)

I'll just do my own replies.

05-06-2022, 04:41 PMChevy Wrote: Why the recent uptick in value compared to previous seasons/years for the various submission?

>> That happened after some discussion. Essentially we took the feedback from one of the offseason surveys that we did and we hoped that it would encourage more people to submit graphics, especially those that would not get a 4/5+ every time, but somehow last season it has not brought the results that we expected. Don't people have cards to buy? Smile

>> Any - it depends on your skill level. We don't expect them to use Photoshop, there are several alternatives out there that are "almost" as powerful. Especially for beginners you might not want to jump into PS right away (unless you feel like getting the monthly subscription, but they also have a free trial). Cheaper alternatives are of course Photoshop Elements, Affinity Photo (they often have good deals, so I would wait for the next one) or probably something else that I don't know at the moment. For advanced users however that are somewhat serious about everything (and that can afford it) Photoshop is the one to use.

>>Join our discord, follow us on twitter and ask questions if you need help. That's a start. You don't need to be good at graphics, but you will need to put work in to improve. 

>>Perhaps our video grader could answer this. @thevoicelesscreator

When will we have a cleanup / refresh of resources in the graphics forum?  (I mean, we have regular resource sub forum of team logos and stuff...but then there's a bunch of other threads with good info that could be condensed)

>>We kind of 'inherited' that problem from the old graphics people. I always update some of the stickied threads, but you're right, it could need more work.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]