Create Account

S65 PT #0: Close Encounters of the Sixty-Fifth Kind

Please pick ONE prompt to write about. Do not mix and match prompts. Identify the prompt you are using in your submission - Copying and pasting the prompt will deduct from your word count so if you do this make sure YOUR submission is 150+ words excluding the prompt.

HOCKEY PROMPT - You wake up to a deafening screech and a piercing purple light. Above your bed you see, as though through a thousand eyes at once, hockey games being played in a world you've never seen, by players you've never heard of, for teams with outlandish names like the "Leafs" (???) Your brain is instantly able to absorb everything there is to know about this alternate dimension hockey league known as the "NHL" and you're stricken by some similarities.

Written Task: Who is your team's parallel universe doppelganger? What team from this mysterious "NHL" is your SHL team most like? Why? Think more about team composition or stage of competitiveness in your upcoming S65, not just Calgary Dragons so Calgary Flames, you know? (150+ words)

Graphic Task: Show me your player gazing into the void. What NHL hockey related thing shakes them to their core?

PLAYER PROMPT- OK, a screaming purple void is a little farfetched. Maybe you don't want to get that crazy. However, all of us have a weird or wild story from some point in our lives, something that's hard to believe is true. So what is your player's?  

Written Task:  Tell me about the coolest or weirdest thing that has ever happened to your player. Maybe it's hockey related, maybe it's not, but I want to give you a chance to add to your player's cannon. What's their most interesting story? Do they tell it to everyone for a laugh? Or is it something they keep on the hush? Get creative with this! (150+ words)

Graphic Task:- Show me your player at the time of their best story. The more over-the-top the better!

You will receive 3 TPE for fulfilling all requirements.

All responses are due on Sunday, May 15th at 11:59 PST. NOTE: IF YOU SUBMIT/EDIT AFTER THE DEADLINE YOU WILL RECEIVE REDUCED/NO TPE.

Affiliate claims from either PBE or ISFL or WSLB are accepted; link directly to your post and note if your username is different there.
If you have any questions/concerns, please PM me. Tasks with malicious intent will not be graded. The graders reserve the right to determine malicious intent, after discussion with me. You will not be warned.

This task is for SHL players and send downs only, it is not for SMJHL rookies.

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=661a1734&is=6607a234&hm=b8...1bf5caed8&]
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2022, 12:22 AM by JamesT. Edited 2 times in total.)

Code:
Written Task:  Tell me about the coolest or weirdest thing that has ever happened to your player. Maybe it's hockey related, maybe it's not, but I want to give you a chance to add to your player's cannon. What's their most interesting story? Do they tell it to everyone for a laugh? Or is it something they keep on the hush? Get creative with this! (150+ words)

Throughout my young career as Ben Jammin, I have experienced quite an array of things during my time in the SMJHL. During my rookie season, I led the Kelowna Knights in penalty minutes with 52 PIM's that season (5 aggression for the win). I also believe I scored a few breakaway goals as a defencemen as well, so that is something extremely rare to happen in the world of hockey (but not in FHM).

I also experienced my first time ever being traded in the SHL as well during my tenure here in the league and that was a roller coaster of an experience, it sucks to leave one team and go to another but that is the world of sport and business. I hope that the assets the Montreal Patriotes received from me turn out to be amazing building pillars for them in the near future! 

Now that Ben Jammin is on the Chicago syndicate this will be the first time that I will be playing for a team not in Canada! My previous players played on the Edmonton Blizzard Montreal Patriotes Montreal Militia and the Kelowna Knights So all Canadian teams! Not too often that happens for a player, but that was something I found to be quite intriguing when looking at teams that I have played for.

(220 words)

[Image: Jammin.gif]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]
[Image: zS2lCMp.png] [Image: ixmZA3M.png] [Image: pxjucze.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png] [Image: IhVx0wj.png]

Thank you @High Stick King @OrbitingDeath @Ragnar @Tesla for the player signatures! 
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2022, 12:35 AM by RAmenAmen. Edited 1 time in total.)

Player Prompt

This past season, Justin Time was selected for his second SMJHL All-Star game, an honor he was thrilled for until he learned that due to some nonsensical new advanced metric called "TPE" (whatever that means), he would once again be the backup, and due to a strange rule regarding substitutions due to something called "FHM", he once again would not actually see the ice during the game. In an act of silent protest, Time proceeded to see how many things he could do wrong before someone noticed and called him out. In the pregame warmups, he started by wearing his pads on the wrong legs, but nobody seemed to care. When that didn't work, he took off his gear and carefully placed it on a practice dummy, which he sat down on his side of the bench, then headed up to the concessions stand for some popcorn. When he went down to collect his gear at the end of the game, he watched teammate after teammate give fist-bumps to the dummy, not noticing the difference.

#letbackupgoaliesplayintheallstargametoo

[Image: RAmenAmen.gif]
sig credit: Ragnar, Sulovilen, Enigmatic, Bayley
[Image: kcP9WEd.png] [Image: DNLeeu0.png] [Image: DKMMlC3.png]
[Image: RAmenAmenPride.gif]

Answering for the second prompt:

Vaseline Podcalzone has had a lot of weird and random moments happen to him over the course of his professional hockey career. There was time in Newfoundland when he was accosted by a random spokesperson for the local supermarket that wanted Podz to sponsor this random bundle they were planning on selling called the Vaseline Tide PodCalzone bundle (a small bottle of vaseline, a box of tide pod detergents, and a box of frozen calzones). Podz initially declined it, because it was the most random thing imagineable, before agreeing to doing so on the condition that part of the profits go a local charity.

However, the weirdest was the time that Podz was chilling in an airport, ready to board a flight to Newfoundland for a team reunion, when he saw this giant green dinosaur just chilling at one of the gates. The dinosaur was incredibly big in nature, and could only say the word Yoshi, except that it was stretched out so it sounded more like "Yoshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii". Turns out that it's Beeg Yoshi.

WC: 176

[Image: beegbeegyoshi.gif]
[Image: B7bDIPG.png]
[Image: gospklL.png]

PT Pass

Pass Forfeit (D) ● Player Profile
Kraken Rage Panthers

[Image: esilverm.gif]
Special thanks to Blitz, jhockey, Ragnarr, and sulo for the gorgeous sigs <3

[Image: DG0jZcS.png]

Montreal Patriotes are closest to Los Angeles Kings. We are a team that should not be in playoffs and are looking at the future, but has an old goalie Vertigo (Quick) who carries the defensive end, and Darzins (Kopitar) who leads the team by example with experience. As we all know Patriotes made playoffs surprisingly even though we are looking at the future with prospects. Players like Moxii (Byfield) McBride (Turcotte) Denisova (Kaliyev) Patey (Clarke). Effectively with Askerov (Bjornfot) and Wall (Petersen) being moved up. We are not "stacked" per say right now, but we are set for the future. But as always unexpected runs have been known in the NHL and SHL. Unexpected at the beginning of the season, and considered a success regardless of a non cup season. Firmly set a standard in S64 that Montreal is on the up with prospects moving up, and players peaking from S60-S62 we are looking at some of the best of the best hockey Montreal has played, but we are ready to see Montreal break records.

[Image: FR-B3jfXsAAvEaW?format=png&name=small]

Player Prompt:
The weirdest things that have happened to Videl in her career so far is not being able to last on a team long term. She first began her career in Outlaws but only had mediocre stats throughout her time in Anaheim. She was originally drafted by Rage but she never played a single game in Manhattan due to issues with the locker room. Then she had her J rights traded to the Vancouver Whalers Whalers and then won the S61 4 star cup. Her journey took her to Calgary Dragons where she was a solid scoring depth piece. She then got moved to Blizzard after a certain someone reared their head. After an all Star season in Edmonton, for the third time in her young career, she got traded to Stars and is currently there. Is there a record for most times a player got traded? Because the weird thing is that Videl might break that record.
(159 words)

[Image: ljefVAX.png]
[Image: Wf5B9wj.png]

Code:
Written Task: Who is your team's parallel universe doppelganger? What team from this mysterious "NHL" is your SHL team most like? Why? Think more about team composition or stage of competitiveness in your upcoming S65, not just Calgary Dragons so Calgary Flames, you know? (150+ words)

The closest comparison for the Hamilton Steelhawks during the present day is probably the National Hockey League's Pittsburgh Penguins, and I'll tell you why this is the case. Basically we all know good and well about Hamilton's modern day dynasty as one of, if not the top franchise in the SHL today, maybe even in history, which has seen them win 6 cups within the last 12 seasons. Similarly, the Penguins are one of the NHL's modern dynasties, with cup wins in 2009, 2016 and 2017. However, despite both teams being decent contenders still today, and are far from being completely bad teams, its apparent that their age is catching up to them and the coming rebuild is a lot closer than many are expecting. If they wanna stretch the current window wider, they're gonna need to get younger very fast. All this said, both the Penguins and Steelhawks are world class organizations, so it won't be long before they're both back at the top.

[Image: bjobin2.png]
[Image: 9tINabI.png][Image: c97iD9R.png]

**First GM in SMJHL history to win 3 Four Star Cups back-to-back-to-back**

Player task:

The coolest or weirdest thing that has happened to William Salming happened a while ago. It happened last season S64. Salming had just ended a home game in Seattle and went to locker room. After he showered and did his other post-game stuff, Salming walked out from the rink to a parking lot to find out his car. But he did not find it. Why? Because someone had moved it. Salming walked towards security guys and asked if they had seen anything. They said that yes, someone had got in to the car and drove it away in the middle of the game. Salming was confused. But at the same moment he saw someone driving towards them with Salming's car. A guy stepped out of the car and at the same moment Salming saw a very cool thing. A car was painted with new colours. Beforehand it was green and now afterwards blue and gold which are the colours of Seattle Argonauts. That looked amazing. A guy said it was a gift for Salming because he played so well on that season as a two-way winger. Salming was pleased and just said thank you. He liked a new color theme.

[Image: salming.png]

Player Prompt

Ok, this is a story of grind and training, of passion and growing together as a group. This all happened before the time Michael Withecheck went to play in the big SHL, in a time where he was doing other sports and other stuff besides of hockey. In his home country, Austria, there is this special thing of fire competitions. It doesn't really have to do with fire, but it's like a simulation to build up an extinguishing line to put out a fire. It's without using water, so everything is just simulating that there is water used. But this kind of sports is about technique and sprinting, to work smoothly and fast in a group of 9 people. So you have to build up that extinguishing line by a proper ruleset. Like a set of steps to follow with a proper technique. The time you need to build up the line plus the penalties you get make your final points. The group with the lowest score wins.
When I started this experiment, this chapter in my life, we were kind of a laughing stock, having slow and bad techniques, making a lot of mistakes and getting penalized for that. We worked for years to get better, and started to do video analysis of good groups and ourselves, to improve further. We grew together as a group and had the ambition to compete with the best groups. After a stutter start we went on to win the first trophies occassionally, but over time, we really grew into a very good group. We competed in our region and went on to qualify for a country-wide competition, where only the best groups over a timespan qualify. 
It's all about the grind, growing together as a group, working on what you love and having the ambition to get better at it.

[Image: CcmpTg8.png][Image: sakro_-_withecheck_-_Inferno.png]

PLAYER PROMPT

The weirdest thing to happen to Louise St. Martin so far is probably this year's SMJHL All-Star Game. In her haste to get to San Francisco in time for the weekend's many festivities, and after a pretty rough loss in the Four Star Cup final, she inexplicably left her hockey gear behind in her Quebec City apartment. She spent so much time trying to figure out what eccentric outfit to wear (ultimately going with one that looked like it was stolen from Carmen Sandiego) that she forgot, you know, what she was literally going there for. Panicking, not knowing if it would get to her in time for the game itself, she pulled some strings with the team's front office, and the gear arrived about 2 hours before she was due to take to the ice for a skills competition preshow to entertain the fans.

Not only did she get to play in the game, she also scored. All's well that ends well.

[Image: valpix.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @Symmetrik, @Merica, @enigmatic, and @sulovilen for the sigs! 
Avi courtesy of @MN_Moosey
[Image: d9J5DHT.png]
Citadelles Switzerland Stars Blizzard 
[Image: VGl3CB4.png]
[Image: valpixpride.gif]
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2022, 05:09 AM by ArmTheSharks. Edited 1 time in total.)

The strangest thing to happen to Miroslav Ketil was that one night he awoke to a horrifying, piercing scream that instantly made every hair on his body stand up, as though he'd just had 1000 volts of pure Lightning (it's an NHL pun joke for ya kids). The sight, sights honestly, before were mystifying and brain-bending: He was watching tons of simultaneous hockey games from some strange, poorly managed league called the National Hockey League! (Seriously, who named this thing? You got a wild purple void for me to see, but you can't come up with something better than the [italics]National[/italics] Hockey League? I digress.) They were being projected into his mind as though he could gaze upon them with a thousand faces, infinite eyes.

There were strange teams like the Lightning (call back to earlier, ayo) from some weird city called Tampa (or was it Tompa?) Bay, the Maple Leafs (yeah, a real scary team name there Tuhronto) from Toronto, and even the Habs? (What is a Hab?) No, wait the Canadiens? (I also have no idea what that is, we don't have that here in SHLearth) from Montreal.

As suddenly as the void had ripped into his mind; however, it vanished, leaving Miroslav somehow all-knowing about the contents of his strange fever dream. He knew suddenly that the Vancouver Whalers, his current J team, were most like the Kraken of some faraway city named Seattle. (See-At-Le?) He theorized this because both teams had essentially inherited entirely new rosters through similar, albeit slightly different, styles of drafts. He had visions of a player named Matty Beniers, a hero in the lands far beyond he had glimpsed, and he vowed to be what Beniers represented to Seattle for Vancouver.

Oh, and he guessed that the Steelhawks were most similar to the Lightning or the Penguins with their recent winning ways, but it made a less compelling story as Ketil has yet to break into their roster so we wrote this about Vancouver instead.

[Image: SHOWNOMERCY-KETIL-VIGN.png]

PT Pass

[Image: outlaws2.png]  [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]  Mathias Seger #15 | Player page | Update page [Image: outlaws2.png] [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]
[Image: Segi.gif] 
Sigs by Donini, RainDelay, Fever and OrbitingDeath

There was this one weird thing that had happened in the past for Luukas Lilja which he will never forget. Give or take 10-15years back when he was still a young boy learning to skate back in his old neighbourhood school hockey rink, he saw a briefly flashing light coming out of his schools roof. He took a quick peak "Oh thats nice in the dark" and proceeded to move on with his practicing. The light started to flicker more frequently, which caught Lilja's eye. Because he was the only one on the ice at that time of the night, around 9pm, he immediately thought something bad was going to happen. Aliens, he thought, and ran home quicker than Usain Bolt ran his 100m world record run. After he got home, he told everyone at home what had happened. Turns out, the school's roof had collapsed from a certain part due to the heavy snow they had experienced in the winter, and the light he thought was aliens, was actually just a guy welding some parts together for the roof. This story remains as one of his earliest hockey related core memories, which he does tell to others from time to time, if the alcohol level in his blood is high enough, of course.

[Image: jE4ioeC.png][Image: meOh9pz.png]

Quote:Written Task: Who is your team's parallel universe doppelganger? What team from this mysterious "NHL" is your SHL team most like? Why? Think more about team composition or stage of competitiveness in your upcoming S65, not just Calgary Dragons so Calgary Flames, you know? (150+ words)

It is hard to tell what type of team the Winnipeg Aurora are since we have so many new bodies. Our player doppelgängers would be: 

Jay O'Neil - Lets see, a 6'2 right handed defender who is incredibly strong with great puck handling skills and passing. Charlie McAvoy.
Mikko Rashford - A 5'10 left handed defender who is adapt at getting open while also handling the puck. Quinn Hughes.
Rebecca Montagne - A 5'9 goalie with incredible reflexes and great positioning. Juuse Saros.
Jaeger Jones - A 6'3 beast of a right handed defender who is strong on and off the puck. Aaron Ekblad.
Christian Kinsinger - A 6'2 left handed defender who is a hard hitter that is good at getting open and transitioning the puck. Shea Theodore.
Tommy Tightpants - Our first forward! This 6'3 right winger who is an exceptional 2-way forward who isn't afraid of mixing it up in the corners. Mark Stone.
Frederico Von Schnicktenburg - 6'4 left winger who hits people when he isn't puck handling. A rare combination of size and skill. Brady Tkachuk.
Spack Jarrow - A 5'10 left winger that is a defensive pest who can smother the opponents top star while also helping on the offensive side. Conor Garland.
Jonas Johansson - A 6'5 Swedish goalie with great positioning. This one is easy. Jacob Markström.
Stan Din'desque - A 5'11 center who is great at being in the right spot at the right time who can also snipe the puck. Brayden Point.
Marcel Beck - A 6'3 right handed defender who is exceptional defensively not only with his stick but also his checking while also transitions the play at the highest level. Alex Pietrangelo.
Gonzo Gobbledygook - A 6'3 playmaking left winger who is just as reliable on the defensive side as the offensive side of the puck. Gabriel Landeskog.
Ryuuji Kawashima - This 6'4 center who has exceptional passing skills and is a dangerous offensive threat when on the ice. Aleksander Barkov.
Gregory Goode - A 6'3 right handed offensive defenseman is an exceptional PP specialist and offensive weapon. Kris Letang.
Dwayne Gretzky - A 6'2 left winger whose strength and ability to find the open ice is unparalleled who can also win faceoffs. J.T. Miller.
Bás O'Bigbers - A 5'10 left winger who is as good as there is at finding the open ice and picking apart a defense. Kirill Kaprizov.
KnockedOut ByOvechkin - A 6'2 right winger who has an underrated shot that is reliable in the defensive end. Brock Boeser.

--------

Oh man, what a line-up that is. I'm definitely 100% accurate with these. Aurora

[Image: yyo9APg.gif]