Create Account

S65 PT #3: The Pest Around

Hockey Prompt:

People that toe the line in annoying the opposition exist in all sports, but the SHL hosts many. From the junior leagues where you will constantly be harassed by noot noots, to the ramblings of Fitted when playing Tampa Bay, there are many colorful characters you will be lacing up against. I think that being able to overlook those annoyances is simply part of the sport but it is also something that must be watched. The tricky thing about the players that toe the line is that they often end up crossing it at some point and the last thing we need is someone getting into a fight and trying to stab their opponent with their skate to finally shut them up. The pranksters that toe the line are also a frequent reason for new rules and regulations to pop up in the league rulebook that many would assume are common sense. Being able to manage their outlandish behavior is a skill needed if you want to become an elite talent in the SHL.

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]

WSBL PT

[Image: bgwUtVZ.png]

pt pass

[Image: BoucherFan12.gif]

[Image: benzeev.gif]

06-11-2021, 05:33 PMKenitohMenara Wrote: [Image: BLUE.jpeg]
Welcome to the hall, Ben!

Answering for the first prompt:

Vaseline Podcalzone. A pest? I mean, he can totally get into the heads of other players. Podz understands the fact that much of the game of hockey is purely mental.

There's obviously the mental aspect of dominating the opponents offensively by scoring a goal or two. That gets in their head a bit, upsets the defensemen a bit, and just leads to the opposing team unravelling a bit. At the same time, playing a gritty, physical game is another way that Podz is going to get into the head of his opponents. He does not shy away from throwing the body around. A hip check, an open ice hit, whatever it takes to send a message to the opposing team that they should be greatly concerned about his presence on the ice.

Still, Podz understands that refs are watching. He cannot aggravate the opposing team with cheap tactics, such as cross checks and slashes. At the end of the day, it is important to respect the other player, and as a result, there is indeed a line where it goes from playing gritty to breaking the rules.

Code:
WC: 188

[Image: beegbeegyoshi.gif]
[Image: B7bDIPG.png]
[Image: gospklL.png]

Simonsson is not the prototypical middle 6 player as in he doesn't tend to participate in rough stuff or "pest activities" as it were. He is more known of his ability to burn other third lines that are playing more of a clamp down, drag, hooking, hacking, and slashing style with his speed and ability to get open on the ice. Yngve doesn't look down on other players that may have more of a rough or gritty side to their game, in fact he respects them immensely. He knows that without them he would pretty much be unable to do his job effectively and burn players on the ice rather than with his words or in scrums. It also doesn't help that all these years later Yngve doesn't speak perfect english. He will often call out and chirp other players in Swedish if he is to play a bit of a pest role, and is more known as a pest among other Swedish players due to some of the fucked up shit he says on the ice.

[Image: 8PlNwDd.png]

Hockey prompt

Well, what I can say here is: it really depends. You have to know the line between what is still considered fun (for both sides) and what isn't and you kind of have to know the person you're doing this to well enough to judge their reaction. Some people get annoyed more easily and don't understand fun at all while for others it doesn't matter at all. Everyone is different. I would get mad about people that don't consider these things and might make others really angry, but I'd say that pretty much anyone has played a trick or has been the victim of this especially when they were younger. In the SMJHL this is very common. It's also something you grow out of a bit more when you get older. At least most people do, maybe not really everyone. There are situations where the entire team is laughing and I enjoy those.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

Kayden Pale isn't really a pest in sense but will use everything in his power too give himself and his team the competitive edge over any competition this may show up as pest antics but I can let you too believe that isnt the case and these actions are done out of dermation and Kayden Pales Elite competivness, he was getting into a couple fights his rookie year after big hits but it seems the league and players have figured out Kayden Pale can throw like the best of them and have been avoiding conflict with this player because this season he has been in zero fights, still throwing alot of big hits and jabbing with the best of em infront of the crease, kayden loves too give other players the old stick knob when the refs arent around and he thinks the player is in jeopardy of the goalies vision for the puck. And knows the ref isnt looking.

Quote:
Citadelles

ISFL Affiliate

Written Task:  Do you think mischief like dumping water into other players gloves, snowing goalies, or just generally being annoying has a place in hockey? What do you think about these little interactions that aren't technically against the rules, but can certainly throw players off their game and make them unhappy? I'm not talking about violent stuff, just annoying stuff. Is it fun? Is it entertaining? Or do you get mad when you see people doing that? I want to know what you think about pests and people that "toe the line" so to speak in sports. (150+ words)

In general, I think A Pest, or a player that fills that role adds a bit of color to the game.  Names like Kenny "The Rat" Linseman and Darcy Tucker come to mind.  The role that these guys had was to use verbal and/or physical means to distract players on the other team from the game and, rather, direct focus on getting revenge.  The Pet's tactics usually end up with players on the opposing team spending an inordinate amount of time in the penalty box.  Even in today's game, it seems that every team has a player who fulfils this role.  Take a look at Michael Bunting of the Toronto Maple Leafs and the number of penalties he draws.  Or the net front antics of Brendan Gallagher.  As much as these players spend their time being hated by opposing players, they are held in high respect by their teammates.  Even when they are traded, their new teammates respect their contributions.  It is a tough role to fill, but their are some players who relish the challenge.

[Image: Rinky-sig.jpg]

Player Prompt

I’m not considered the most annoying player in the league. As one of the captains I am supposed to set the example and show some action. If I need to annoy the entire other team as much as possible so they take penalties and get themselves into trouble. I will be the first one to realize it and do it. I don’t think others will as much as I would. As for how to annoy them, just touch them so they know you are there, start grabbing their jersey just being as annoying as you can. Do some chirping to get them a bit more annoyed. Just do the things you can to insert yourself into their equation. Shylo as a kid was always a tall guy and now that he’s 6”5 it’s very difficult for someone to reach his height so leading by example as one of the players who can’t be touched so easily is probably one of the safest ways to do things. Let them do the retaliating for the penalties.

[Image: FR-B3jfXsAAvEaW?format=png&name=small]

Hockey Prompt

I think there is a time and place for alot of things including mischief with teammates at the rink. When I used to play hockey at my local rink, there would be tons of jokes similar to pouring water in teammates gloves all the time. My favorite prank by far is tape on the blade of your teammates skate so when he hits the ice it'll force him to immediately fall. The stick prank where you hack a player's stick so it's just about to break and when they go for a shot it snaps in half. This one is a little more expensive as you should be willing to replace the stick if it breaks in this instance. Another similar one to this is cutting the goalie's laces on his glove. During warmups say you're going to shot a clapper right through the goalies' glove and have it explode right through the cut laces in the pocket. Again, you better be willing to supply your tendy with a backup lace or else this prank may not be as funny. As long as pranks don't carry over into actual games or could affect the player in anyway during a game situation, I say have as much fun as you want - everyone loves a prankster.

Word Count: 214

[Image: takethehorizon.gif]
[Image: IdMkYiH.png]

[Image: NIYtQkE.png] [Image: NjFSX1z.png]

Quote:Written Task:  Do you think mischief like dumping water into other players gloves, snowing goalies, or just generally being annoying has a place in hockey? What do you think about these little interactions that aren't technically against the rules, but can certainly throw players off their game and make them unhappy? I'm not talking about violent stuff, just annoying stuff. Is it fun? Is it entertaining? Or do you get mad when you see people doing that? I want to know what you think about pests and people that "toe the line" so to speak in sports. (150+ words)
I don't really have any respect for the "pest" style of play personally, but I understand the value in it. There's something to be said about the value of having a strong enough mental game to be able to handle nonsense like that, but it's poor sportsmanship and doesn't really have any place in a professional environment. Trash talk/chirping is absolutely integral to hockey culture, and so is playing physically and punishing your opponents whenever possible, there's no debating that. Personally, I'd say that if you're being a little shit during your shifts on the ice, then you're doing it right. It seems like a waste of both physical and mental effort to get up to gradeschool shenanigans when you're being paid literal millions of dollars to take the sport seriously and perform at your absolute best. I think it leaves a sour impression on new fans or to casual fans who see this sort of behavior go uncorrected. I'm not sure if there are rules that need to be implemented, necessarily, I just hope people decide to take the high road more often.

Long John Donair is far from an antagonistic person. The captainship positions he has earned is mostly from merit, with a little bit of stoicism thrown in there. You don't expect a big rallying speech from a guy like Donair; his leadership style is purely by example. However, in the situation given, Donair would lean into his playing style of crashing the net to get into the other team's heads. Whether it's adding an extra poke check going the other way or spraying the crease with some snow, little by little Donair will try to get under the skin of the rivals in question (probably the Pride, we've had some great playoff series with them). Now the last thing Donair would ever do is drop the gloves; he doesn't fight, doesn't like playing games like that. But his teammates know that and Donair also knows he's an easy target for some leaning or little pushes after the whistle, as he's the first guy on the puck every time. That'll leave the door open for Kierkegaard or Conaire, two guys much more likely to throw down.

I’m personally not a fan of pests in hockey in regard to messing with players’ equipment and things of that nature. I’ve always liked seeing teams with skill over winning by being annoying. At this point too, when you snow the goalie for example odds are you are going to get punched in the mouth, and honestly, I think that’s the correct response. Granted, my understanding is pests want to drive the other team over the edge, but as long as they don’t get mad at the retaliation, I guess live your life. My issue is when you look at guys like Sean Avery, Steve Ott, Brad Marchand, these aren’t guys that are typically held in high regard either by fans or by their peers (Ott is kind of an exception to that). You have Marchand being called a rat by everyone and Avery’s been roasted by countless other players for his antics, but their own fanbase loves them, so I guess to many pests have their place in the sport, I just am not a fan.

[Image: OX6Yrrn.png]

[Image: hPSkjwC.jpg]
Thank you @xjoverax and @phoenix for the sigs!

Hockey Prompt:
There is absolutely a place in the SHL and hockey for that matter for the pest. Being a pest is a great way to get another teams players off their game and can give your team the edge they need. Now saying that there is a line to it. Being a pest means you can get into a guys face and chirp, beak, name call, whatever you want to call it. However when you start crossing the line with doing dirty things like sticking a guy in the nuts or sucker punching a guy then you have crossed the line and that doesn’t have a place. There is a borderline in there somewhere where the rules are “grey” that you can live and be successful. In reality though to be the best pest on the ice is to be a hard working player that finishes every check and puts up points on the board as well. Out working a guy and getting a beak in may get a player off his game but man lighting them up hurts them way more.

[Image: CaleSalad.gif]
[Image: kalesaladshl.gif]
some high fibre sigs are Powered by AllBran,