Create Account

S65 PT #3: The Pest Around

Quote:Written Task:  Do you think mischief like dumping water into other players gloves, snowing goalies, or just generally being annoying has a place in hockey? What do you think about these little interactions that aren't technically against the rules, but can certainly throw players off their game and make them unhappy? I'm not talking about violent stuff, just annoying stuff. Is it fun? Is it entertaining? Or do you get mad when you see people doing that? I want to know what you think about pests and people that "toe the line" so to speak in sports. (150+ words)

I think that mischief in some forms is alright in hockey, but some of it definingly crosses the line and takes some of the fun out of the game.  Snowing the Goalie, sure that isn't too bad and can be a fun move IF the whistle has blown and it's not live action.  Hearing the whistle, getting your water bottle for a drink, then squirting it into your opponents face,,, also fun.  Where I think it crosses the line is when it takes the game from being a fair match, to being petty and kicking the other players stick away.  Or if they lose a glove on a play kicking it or tossing it down the ice.  Sure it's going to give you an advantage because now that players has to come off the ice, but that isn't something that you should be proud of if you score.  "Oh hey everyone we just scored because of some stupid rule where they didn't have enough players on the ice because we were cheap!"

Code:
173 Words

you know what this is a good prompt that tommy westbrook but this time i upd can really get behind. the thing is right i think you have to respect the little trolling that happens on a weekly basis within the sim hockey league community and games. sometimes its more of a battle about whats happening between the games and not actually about the game itself. you have to participate in these little memes because it does have an outcome on the game results. i enjoy sometimes wiping my little hand on peoples faces and then give them a little kiss and say like watch out there for your next shift becasue i do not think you are going to like what is about to happen. stay caution because tommy westbrrok but this time i upd is willing to do anything to win a sim hockey league game. i think it has a place in hockey

[Image: TommyWestbrook.jpg]
[Image: UznKCpb.png]

Being a pest absolutely has a place in hockey but there's definitely also a line that you can't cross. Don't do or say racist/homophobic/transphobic/etc. shit to other players and make sure you're being sanitary. No licking/biting/spitting/etc., but I am absolutely all for spraying water in somebody's gloves, taping the steel on their skates, shit talking somebody about their twitter, saying that you had intercourse with their mother. Is it nice? Absolutely not, but that's the kind of stuff that we deal with out on the ice.

That said, if you're playing beer league there's no reason for any of that. Everyone at beer league is bad at hockey and people to show a little humility. You only do that kind of pest shit if you're playing meaningful games like varsity, AAA, junior, NCAA, club college, or pro hockey. If you do that when you're playing beer league or house hockey you're an absolute tool.

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

PEST

Our team is down 5-2 and things are not looking good. We're trying everything to get the job done but unfortunately nothing we've tried is working. I've stepped up my game, pushed harder and I know everyone else has too but the other team is playing good. Coach pulled me over and asked if I had anything left and let me tell you, I will do what it takes to win. I'm not a dirty player by any means but I know talking and screwing with the other team will sometimes help your skill outshine their own. I've never been scared to give a face wash, squirt water at them, give them a quick jab or do some wicked shit talking on the ice. During this game, I actually went one step forward. When the puck got covered by the other teams goalie, I went up to their goalie and asked for an autograph. I think he shit his pants a little later because we put the puck right in the net. Afterwards he said ok.

183 words

Player Prompt:

Manon does not like to let her team down, and in a situation of being down 5-2, that certainly isn’t an idle situation for anyone. Of course, she wouldn’t give up on attempting to score, there is always a chance to tie it up with just a few seconds remaining. This does not however mean that she can’t become a pest on the ice. Some of the ways I think she would mess around with the other team is either a little crap talking just far enough away that they aren’t quite sure they heard correctly, or being really annoying in positioning. Manon does not like to be a dirty player in any way, but doesn’t mind being a little bit of a problem if it’s on the down low. Putting herself in annoying positions or finding any way to confuse the other team is not something she is against. If the situation does not call for it however, she would like to remain clean through and through.

(175 words)

Player Prompt

I always have a hard time of being a pest, I love doing the sports and know it's part of the game, but for myself I can't really get around it. I want to have fun doing the sport I do, and to have fun with what I'm doing, I have to enjoy it. And if I am a pest, I don't really enjoy it as I'm getting angrier and angrier, heating up the atmosphere talking shit and everything is getting out of hand and way to rough. So I normally take a different route. Still trying to communicate a little with my opponents, but trying to get to them from the other side. Being friendly, making jokes, trying to distract them that way. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But that's the same with shit talking your opponents. Sometimes it's hard, especially when someone tries being a pest. But you can catch them off guard by replying overly friendly and cracking the ice in a nicer way. They become irritated and aren't sure what they should do. It's not the most efficient way, especially being down 2-5, but not everything has to be about creating rivalry and hate out on the ice.

[Image: CcmpTg8.png][Image: sakro_-_withecheck_-_Inferno.png]

I absolutely think being a pest has a place in the game. Players who will try to get under people's skin and make their opponent's lives harder are rare, because there is a difference between players who will "take their pound of flesh" and be sneakily dirty, and someone being a pest. A pest annoys someone but isn't dirty. Playing with the edge to try to leave your mark on the opponents' mental, to me, shows a determination and dedication to the game, despite being down by an insurmountable deficit.

Marchand, despite some certain egregious dirty plays, is the poster child. He literally licked multiple players in the 2017 NHL Playoffs and got off with just a stern "Hey, we don't like that, Brad, this is a family show!" from the DOPS. The ability to play the game at a high level, toe the line without crossing it, and come away with some moral mental victories is a skill in any sport and has a spot in a sport that tries its hardest to be as tough as possible, despite often going too far in that direction.

Now, if you're a Tom Wilson type blowing up players, breaking jaws, etc. that is excessive, and I don't personally stand for that, but don't roll over and die when down by 3 goals. You have to show them that you're still there.

[Image: SHOWNOMERCY-KETIL-VIGN.png]

Hockey prompt: That time me and Marchy got intimate with the bolts

[Image: Ocr8aMx.png]

[Image: sigrotator123.gif]
 [Image: UEX4RCQ.png]  [Image: PHI-pepe2.png]  [Image: r2pSvNf.png]
Special thanks to Carpy48, Ragnar, Merica, High Stick King, Sulovilen, sothfacekilla, enigmatic and LeSizz for the signatures!

To be honest I have never played hockey and I don't even know how to skate, so usually I don't notice things like this when I watch hockey, so I don't really have a strong opinion on this, but I think there are a lot of ways you can contribute to your team, and it's not necessarily scoring goals or setting up your teammates to score, there are defensive defensemen who's main goal is shutting down opposition's best players, and of course there are pest hockey players. But hey, if you can throw an opposing player off their game, make them frustrated, angry, then you contributed to the potential W for you team. I don't think there is anything in particular wrong with just being an annoying player to play against. As long as that said player doesn't start taking unnecessary penalties, because then the coach won't be happy. So to answer the question, yes, snowing goalies, things like that, and being annoying does have a place in hockey.

Player info | Updates | Stats
SteelhawksCanadaWhalers

[Image: aawil.gif]

ISFL Affiliate

[Image: gill.png]

HOCKEY PROMPT

This one's easier for me to rant about sooo...

I think so-called annoying behaviour has as much of a place in sport as it does in daily life, in that it doesn't. Hockey isn't the special thing that lives in a vacuum apart from everything else in life, and that's why I find it incensing when someone justifies something just due to it being "tradition". Use your head and think for yourself: why do I do this? Perhaps you're a person who does such things outside of hockey as well, in which case you have your answer and carry on; I still disagree with you, but at least your head's on your shoulders. I think few players are actually thrown off their game by any acts on the ice, as a lot of competitive players will have the ability to focus on their internal locus of control and not what others do around them, but regardless of it does or doesn't work and your motivations, I have one bottom line: it's just not nice. I don't share the "anything to win" school of thought nor do I think it's right to justify everything behind being a "competitor". Competitor my ass, if you were a competitor you'd be looking to improve your game, not lower someone else's, what you're doing is just unsportsmanlike. It's about avoiding the line entirely, not toeing it.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

PT pass

[Image: KSelich.gif]
Thank you all for the amazing sigs & player cards
Germany Citadelles  Stampede [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: Raptors.png][Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: eE2UQZC.png] Stampede Citadelles Germany

3. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 5 (Maximilian Wachter, Alexis Metzler) at 16:25
5. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 6 (Steven Stamkos Jr., Brynjar Tusk) at 19:48
8. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 7 (Brynjar Tusk, Alexis Metzler) at 13:55
9. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 8 (Anton Fedorov, Mikelis Grundmanis) at 15:12
10. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 9 (Dickie Pecker) at 19:43 (Empty Net)
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2022, 09:58 AM by Crunk.)

Viktor Krunk has learned English since joining the SHL. He can understand it perfectly and could speak it pretty well if he chose to. He chooses not to - for the most part.

When there's an opposition player who looks like he is starting to lose his cool, Krunk will make a choice comment to that player in perfect English. Maybe it's about how their shooting is off today, or maybe it is simply a few choice words about their wives, mothers or recently deceased pets. Krunk pulls no punches, especially when goaltenders are involved.

Of course, he gets confronted about this, and he has mastered the art of speaking in Russian while looking confused as opposing players close in on him. Could he really have said that? This guy doesn't even speak English! It's gaslighting in its purest form, and it gets right under the skin of the opposing players. It's dirty, it's nasty, and Viktor Krunk loves it.

[Image: crunksig2.png]

ISFL Affiliate

[Image: unknown.png]
[Image: lIYTYDN.png] [Image: 9pUocRs.png] [Image: tCcIWQC.png] 
[Image: Skree.gif]

PT Pass

Berserkers Patriotes Finland
[Image: EX8JdSr.png][Image: yGcdOWc.png][Image: Bphj82E.png] [Image: BxfKXyg.png] Credit to Redderder15 for the sig
[Image: UDU9SiD.gif]