Create Account

Have the SHL draft be 2 seasons removed from the SMJHL draft

There are a couple of reasons for this suggestion:

1. More validity to the draft. Players have an extra season of earning and getting to know the league before getting a shot at being discovered by the big leagues.
2. Gives a better shot at late recruits to catch up in impact. Not everyone joins during the draft, and for those who don't it can simply give them a lot less time before taking the step up.
3. Makes a more solid draft for SHL teams. With another season added on you have more time to gauge out prospects.
4. Players have a bigger chance of making it after being immediately called up following the draft.
5. Gives more time for prospects to put in and value the SMJHL. There are already a lot of things going on in the league as a new player. Giving them another season to settle in can be very beneficial.

[Image: K6ykz0o.png]
Theodor Larsson
TimberTimber
pridepride

highkey like this

Falcons Canada

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....=SHL+draft

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2022, 12:00 PM by RomanesEuntDomus. Edited 3 times in total.)

I don't think this would be a good idea. The Draft is one of the main motivating factors during peoples first season here and a very nice and cool thing to work towards that I think really helps much more with retention than peoples first junior season being just a season that ends eventually and is then followed by another one that is just the same. Those early career highlights are very important to get people hooked and have them build a connection with the SHL early on instead of just being attached to the SMJHL.

In regards to your specific points:

1. Does that really matter though? Isn't it actually more fun, realistic and fair to have the draft be a bit of a crapshoot where you will have steals and busts, where you aren't automatically guaranteed to get top-players with very early picks and nothing of real value later on? And I don't think being picked a bit later than one should have and then surprising everyone and become a steal is something that people particularly hate, if anything it motivates them more.
2. It doesn't make a difference in the long-term though, the TPE-gap stays exactly the same, it's just cosmetics. And if a GM discounts a late joiner who is super active because he only has 260 TPE in favor of an early joiner who is semi-active but has 290 TPE, well then that's on them and it's what sets apart a good GM from a bad one. That's probably not a GM you wanted to play for anyway if you were that player.
3. Already touched on in #1, I don't think that's a positive.
4. Doubtful, as people still largely spend 3-4 seasons in juniors today. But I see how it could indeed be a positive to have the Draft and graduation to the SHL closer together than they are now, not gonna deny that.
5. Not sure I see the point here? People wouldnt spend any more time in juniors than they do now, and in my experience most players stay deeply attached to their SMJHL team even after the SHL Draft.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

I won’t say never, but no.

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

Dw I'll talk to bettman and see what I can do

[Image: izzy.PNG]