Create Account

S65 SMJHL PT #6 - Playoff Dreams

The only thing that the Maine Timber has to do to get ready for the playoffs is to find a way back to our early season form. Once upon a time we sat at the top of the standings and rivaled Detroit's unbeaten streak, we were even closing in on a franchise records for the best season start and longest winning streak.

I couldn't tell you when the wheels began to fall off, or what exactly happened to the team that made us start to fall apart. But, if we can get back to being the team that killed defences with speed, the team that didn't rely on incredible goaltending to get through games, then we actually have a solid chance at getting through the second round. And as we all know, once the playoffs start - anything can happen. 

Side bar; why did it have to be fucking Newfoundland? Again. This is my first season here and even I know Newfoundland seems to be the ones that hand Maine defeat every post season.

It's about time for change, if you ask me.

[Image: FG1uDPY.png][Image: QAcQptc.png]

PBE affiliate

[Image: 3MtyuZk.gif]
[Image: dAxJaBU.gif]

The Quebec City Citadelles have a long history of playoff success and this year looks to be no different. The Citadelles were on an absolute heater at the end of the season, winning nine of their last ten games. They look to carry on that incredible momentum into their first round matchup versus the St Louis Scarecrows. There were practices every day to ensure the team did not slack off, along with many hours of film once their opponent became known. The coaching staff has done an excellent job of making sure the team is ready to go, and now it is on them to execute the gameplan and start to journey to bringing the cup back to Quebec City. The whole team is ready to go, prepared to begin their trip to the top by eliminating the Scarecrows, and then whoever stands in their way afterwards, and I wouldn't want to be in their way.

[Image: Faelax.gif]
[Image: aroach.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png]    [Image: DNLeeu0.png]

Wow, I cannot believe that playoffs are here and for only the second time since moving to Maine in S53 the Maine Timber are going there are division winners. This is big for the organization as we are all riding the momentum that winning a division title can bring. As far as preparing for the playoffs goes, the team is taking it one step at a time. The thing about a best of 7 series is that one good game does not get things done. You have to be ready put together a string of good games and play the most consistent hockey that you have ever played. For the Maine Timbers that means focusing on consistency and intensity. The moment that puck is dropped look for the players to be implementing that game plan for a full 60 minutes. The guys are continuing to put that effort in every day even as we are nearing that ever important game 1 of the series.

Code:
164 words

[Image: SouthPaw.gif]

PBE Afiiliate - user Laser

[Image: laser.png]

[Image: Virrok.png]
Thanks to EAB and sulovien for the sigs!

The playoffs are some of the best times on the site. All season long is used to prepare to win it all for every team, and the Battleborn are no different. We've been watching tape on every organization to catch their strengths and find their weak spots to exploit and overcome them all. We have been working on some pretty sneaky set plays that haven't been seen before and could give us the advantage in some of the craziest of situations. Some of the team have been going old school and going with the Rocky type training montages, which has been very entertaining to witness live for the rest of us. If it works, why not give it a try I say. Former players have been joining our practices to give us their experiences when they were apart of their own championship runs to help us be ready for all the ups and downs.

After missing out on the playoffs, Edward Elric plans on returning full force. He had a very promising rookie season between the pipes for the Anchorage Armada, one of the worst teams in the SMJHL. Despite facing the most shots in the league, having one of the worst defences in the league and being thrust into a tough situation as a rookie, Edward Elric still managed to shine as a promising star for the Anchorage Armada. He finished in the top 10 in Save%, Goals Saved Above Average, and Games Played. The rookie put together a quality season and can very well be among the best in the league sooner rather than later.

With all that being said however, Edward plans on working hard and potentially switching positions in the offseason. The goalie has shown that he can be a quality player, but behind a team that is not as competitive as the rest of the league, he does not see the need of a quality goalie and feels like he could do better as a forward scoring goals and making a strong impact offensively.

[Image: jackkanoff.gif]

[Image: jeffiesigs.gif]
Nour is pretty hot ngl

I would say that going into the playoffs, the main goal for the Elk was basically just... do something. Realistically, we finished 9th in the regular season, we were never going to make it all that far - but that certainly does not mean that we did not try. For a week before the playoffs, the entire team traveled up north to Greenland, about 90 km north of the town of Qaanaaq, where the coaching staff had set up a hockey bootcamp of sorts. We would practice for 10 hours everyday, on outdoor rinks, in -25 degree weather, with our only clothing being our jerseys. The goal posts were made out of ice - each time we broke them, the player that broke it would have to make new ones with their bare hands. We had to find our own food as well, and for that week we mostly survived off of reindeer meat (pucks are surprisingly effective against reindeer skulls) and random shreds of dead grass we found under the snow. The coaches believed this training method would help team chemistry and hardiness. In reality, all it did was give us all severe frostbite, which is what I will personally blame for our first round loss to Yukon.

Preparation for the playoffs comes in many forms, you're exhausted. The season is grueling but the job is far from done. You have a cup to raise and you have to go through the best to do it. Everyone prepares for the final stretch in a different way. Some practice non stop going through extensive drills and making plays for the right moments. Others would rather take the time to let the body rest and recoup and be ready for the grind towards the ultimate goal.

We made the playoffs, we need to make the most out of it and do our best to make our coaches, GM's and our cities proud. We understand we may not be ready yet, but nothing is better than playoff hockey, getting that experience under your belt is the first step in becoming a true professional. Every kid dreams to have this opportunity and now that's it here we can only do our best.

(As a quick disclaimer, this was written before we lost. I just forgot to post it and find it funny to see how wrong I was)

In preparation for the playoff, our lines were remade to put our power forward together to allow us to play a more physical game against the Malamutes. Boy, did this line wreak havoc in practice! I hope Yukon have a good team of chiropractors because the are going to need them with a god amount of ice baths after the games.

In practice, we also focused on ways to seal the slot to complement our aggressive offense with some good old-fashioned defense. Sometimes, the best thing to do is to return to the basics!

Because of our gameplan and since we won most of our games against the Malamutes (four out of six with our loses being close games) I’m pretty confident in our abilities to win this series and to progress to the second round for the first time in the team’s history!

Getting ready because there is only 364 days before the next hockey team selection   Renegades

[Image: Ggpmsvy.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2022, 09:04 AM by The__Y-man__100. Edited 3 times in total.)

So Yukon was in a weird situation. Most of the team only has 1 season in the SMJHL under their belts, and the rest of the roster is just finishing their rookie year (like myself). So going into the playoffs we knew we were not going to be the fan favourite to win (cough cough Detroit). So everyone agreed that the our mental game is what we needed to improve if we were going to take on the likes of Detroit. But how does one get a bunch of young kids to become mentally stronger? Why none other then having a mandatory team retreat with legendary motivational speaker Tony Robbins! Tony got into our souls during the one week retreat in the wilderness. While we were out there, some boys cried, some boys fought bears and some boys found inner peace after going through this crazy adventure. Tony Robbins also bet money on Yukon to win the cup, so it was in his best interest to work extra hard on us to get us ready for what I’m sure will be a very tough upset as we now have to beat the might Falcons in round 2 if we are to go any further in our journey.

[Image: zcOwSzN.png] [Image: b1AwZLU.png]
First ever Yukon Malamute draft pick (1st overall S65)

[Image: ezgif-3-597e9990a5.png]

SMJHL Simmer PT Pass

[Image: MWJDjbu.png]
[Image: 183de87f8b7c0453e0172c60380f5739.png]

The Kelowna Knights have prepared for the playoffs by doing several unorthodox things. First we went to have a nice steak dinner in one of the best steak restaurants in town. We held a competition on who could finish the 1 kilogram steak the fastest. Nobody won, cause nobody finished it. That was pretty dissapointing. After that we went to a whiskey bar for a nice tasting session. They flew in a guy from Scotland to give us a nice presentation on the finest and most expansive Scotch whiskeys out there. I think a few of us were already hammered after the third taster. To close out the night we went to an exclusive stripclub. I'm not really sure what really happened there in the end, but I know I had the best lapdance of my life.

So all of this made sure we got eliminated quickly in the playoffs. We're not sorry at all.

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

PBE affiliate

[Image: P1XRN7f.png]

The Elk prepared for the playoffs by first taking some time to relax. We spent a day just goofing off as a team. Going bowling, doing karaoke, your usually team building shenanigans. Then we hit the film hard. Coaches and players a like. We spent a huge amount of time studying players and goalies both as a team and individually. Each player had an assignment player and team focus to scout out and learn to explain to the rest of the team. We then did some light practices. Nobody wants to get injured or aggravate and old injury so we focused on basics and fundamentals that really win a hockey game. The day before the playoffs, everyone was given time to do whatever they needed to personally prepare and focus on the game. Ralph spent his time playing video games and catching up with friends back home. Nothing can stop the Elk!

[Image: BtI4G9Q.png]