Create Account

(GRADED)Deep dive #1 – Are the Elks’ playoff hopes cursed?
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2022, 05:02 PM by CptSquall. Edited 1 time in total.)

Deep dive #1 – Are the Elks’ playoff hopes cursed?

The Regina’s Elks are one of the newer teams in the league since they were added as an expansion team to the Simulated major junior hockey team in season 61. Of course, any expansion team is bound to face some difficulties in its first few seasons. Afterall, it’s normal to lose a good amount of game when you just enter the league, and you must build a team from scratch (while both recruiting players and building your coaching scheme).

And now, after closing the final stage off their fifth season as they lost in the first round against the Malamutes, the Elks have progressed a lot as a team. They have been able to build a roster with a lot of good players (including my 3 favorites left wingers all playing like they are the Hanson’s Brothers and an amazing goalie) and, the most important thing, they have been able to find an identity as a team with an awesome locker room. A locker room in which both the veteran and the rookies have a place to contribute to push this team even further in our collective goal to achieve the ultimate victory: winning it all and claiming the first (and surely not the last) cup in their history.

This year, even if they had a more difficult end to their season, they managed to slip into the playoff. This marked the third consecutive season in which the Regina’s Elks made the playoff. In the first round, they were playing against the Malamutes, a team they should had been able to dispose of in 5 or 6 games (Regina having won 6 of the 8 games between those two teams this season and both loses coming from close games). But, against most people prediction, Yukon won the series and advanced to the quarterfinals round while leaving the Elks behind. It was the third consecutive season in which Regina’s players made the playoff only to be back to working on their golf swing as soon as the first round was over.

While a first round exit was expected three seasons ago, this season marked the second consecutive year in which the Elk’s expected to at least advance to the second round. This was especially true last season (S64) when they even won their division for the first time in their history! How can a team with all the pieces needed to advance to the quarterfinals fell short for two years in a row? Some would even begin to ask themselves if the Elks’ playoff hopes are cursed.

While I wouldn’t go as far as to assume that Regina is bound to lose every playoff stint it gets, I think we can take that opportunity to dive in why are the reasons that Regina can’t seems to advance farther than the first round.

Firstly, I would associate Regina’s misfortune in the playoff in major part to mischance. We all know this; hockey is a game of inches. A good rebound there, a puck hitting a skate there, etc., talent matters on the ice, but luck matter too! One could argue that good players and good team create their own luck, and they wouldn’t be entirely wrong, but, sometimes, you need a little extra something to score that overtime goal or to make that spectacular save.

Secondly, I would link Regina difficulties in the playoff to the lack of a true number one scorer on the team. Especially when you enter the playoff, you need a guy who will be able to put it into the back of the net. While David-Arturri Donksoi is a great player, he’s more of a disrupter/playmaker and would need a natural scorer to fully complement his playing style.

So, to answer the question which I asked earlier in this deep dive, I don’t think Regina’s playoff hopes are cursed. I just think they lack chance when entering the playoff and that they lack an elite level gaol scorer.

To everyone who made it this far, thank you very much and I hope you enjoyed reading this text.

Getting ready because there is only 364 days before the next hockey team selection   Renegades

[Image: Ggpmsvy.png]

Approved, +5 TPE to @Marcul_le_depanneur

[Image: CptSquall.gif]