Create Account

EDM Trades - Thoughts from an Old GM

06-19-2022, 11:43 PMCementHands Wrote:
06-19-2022, 11:10 PMRotticusScott Wrote: HFFO just flipped 5 players into 5 1sts and 4 2nds. Unless a majority of those picks never sniff the league, he's setting himself up to be the next Hamilton/Buffalo/Chicago. Aggressive moves are what lead to winning teams in the league, its just how its going to always be really.

Because Hamilton saw success through aggressive trades, and absolutely didn’t exploit a sim engine and force the league to change

Rolleyes

lol come on, HAM hasn’t been rolling out 155 TPE rosters. don’t turn this into a flame HAM thread over a fair viewpoint

also nice to see everyone’s perspectives in this thread like sota/vandy/HFFO/sven’s. honestly, with those players entering their prime and possibly departing anyways, feel like this is a good time to commit to a rebuild especially w/ reddit around the corner. 100% understand your sentiment boom though.

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

Lots of eyes on this, so just a preemptive reminder to keep disagreements civil in the media subforum. Everything is relatively above board so far, but if this discussion devolves into personal attacks we will close the thread

06-20-2022, 12:02 AMgrok Wrote: Lots of eyes on this, so just a preemptive reminder to keep disagreements civil in the media subforum. Everything is relatively above board so far, but if this discussion devolves into personal attacks we will close the thread

Hold this L ugly smh

PatriotesUsaWhalers

[Image: CampinKiller.gif]

I feel bad for the people on Edmonton who are now responsible for the team that probably weren't expecting to be publicly dragged through the mud by someone they respected

[Image: OzriPox.png]

Player Page - Update Page

artermis,Feb 2 2017, 04:11 PM Wrote:9gag pretty lit tho

Honestly I never thought that EDM in it's current iteration was ever going to contend with LAP, CHI and SFP and they were nowhere close to the build up WPG is having with their young core so I think it was pretty smart to get a ton of value for your core via trade with all the quality draft picks

[Image: apSD6uj.gif]
[Image: leafsftw1967.gif] 

Malamutes  Stars Malamutes  Stars

On a real note, EDM was going to wallow in the middle of the pack mediocrity that some teams get into because they dont just nuke it and rebuild. Now they will be a force in the future

PatriotesUsaWhalers

[Image: CampinKiller.gif]

As a former Blizzard player, I’ll give my thoughts on this situation. HFFO is clearly building the team in his own image, and now has the draft capital to continue his plan. I know it’s hard to see former teammates get moved (It is never easy to get traded.) But, this should not be criticized as an error, but as a new direction in Edmonton. I have full faith in what HFFO has planned, and I believe that Edmonton will be a force to reckon with in 5-6 seasons from now. But for now, they’ll be in a rebuild. And for those who cannot handle it should probably take a break from the site. HFFO had his vision panned out, but he also considered not shedding the core and trying his luck, but in my opinion, he took the safe move out. This is just my opinion, so feel free to state your’s. If anyone wishes to speak to someone, my DM’s are open if you wish.

God bless you friends.

-Valor

[Image: ljefVAX.png]
[Image: Wf5B9wj.png]

06-19-2022, 11:43 PMCementHands Wrote:
06-19-2022, 11:10 PMRotticusScott Wrote: HFFO just flipped 5 players into 5 1sts and 4 2nds. Unless a majority of those picks never sniff the league, he's setting himself up to be the next Hamilton/Buffalo/Chicago. Aggressive moves are what lead to winning teams in the league, its just how its going to always be really.

Because Hamilton saw success through aggressive trades, and absolutely didn’t exploit a sim engine and force the league to change

Rolleyes
Hamilton made 28 trades between S54 and S63, Chicago 14, and Buffalo 17. I'm sure a majority of the long tenured GMs and current GMs in the league would attest that all three teams are pretty constantly in talks and checking in on trade blocks around the league and thats what has lead to their success.

[Image: rotti.gif]

06-20-2022, 12:43 AMRotticusScott Wrote:
06-19-2022, 11:43 PMCementHands Wrote: Because Hamilton saw success through aggressive trades, and absolutely didn’t exploit a sim engine and force the league to change

Rolleyes
Hamilton made 28 trades between S54 and S63, Chicago 14, and Buffalo 17. I'm sure a majority of the long tenured GMs and current GMs in the league would attest that all three teams are pretty constantly in talks and checking in on trade blocks around the league and thats what has lead to their success.

I guess Chris was wrong, Hallsy does have ballsy.

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

06-20-2022, 12:02 AMgrok Wrote: Lots of eyes on this, so just a preemptive reminder to keep disagreements civil in the media subforum. Everything is relatively above board so far, but if this discussion devolves into personal attacks we will close the thread
Heck you Grok!
I hope you have a great day.

06-19-2022, 11:04 PMluke Wrote: Atleast EDM got a good experienced co/gm in waters from the trade a couple months ago when you got traded

Lmao

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

Hehe trades make funny noise brrrr

Finland Update Page  Interview  Player Page  Wolfpack

[Image: Snussu.gif]

Thanks to everyone made sigs to me!!!! (Gif made by myself)

I hear Edmonton sucks

[Image: first.png]
[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img][img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img]
Maxime Bouchard
Armada Dragons Info - Updates  Dragons Armada
Richard Dickbutt McFudderdudder II
Armada Info - Updates Armada

This doesn't feel fair to HFFO. He was upfront with where EDM was and what we could realistically expect in the coming seasons on EDM. I asked for a trade, I know Sven asked for a trade. I am not sure who else did but we put HFFO in a position where he had to plan a rebuild. I was sad to leave EDM but the dream i had of a S59 beatdown has been gone for a while. I will miss the old days but I think this is what is best for everyone.

[Image: qm0v49d.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2022, 09:25 AM by PremierBromanov. Edited 1 time in total.)

as former long time extremely well tenured GM of barracuda, I will say perceptions of potential affect every team around the league. Some have it better and some have it worse. Teams like HAM, CHI, TEX, and BUF dont have to convince people that the window is open, or that it might close. For the rest of us, there's a lot of convincing that has to be done. It's obviously very important that the next real life year for your player is a good one. Speaking as someone who spent the majority of his career on a losing team, i can understand the hesitancy to go through that.

Here's what I'll say about perceptions and reality: They're often unmatched. A team like HAM or BUF making it to round 2 and 3 would be seen as pleasantly surprising, but not outlandish, to any other team. Personally, I find it odd that TBB has made it this far so "late" in the game, where it seemed like our window was wide open a few seasons ago. Indeed, teams like BAP and LAP seem to be built around one or two massive pushes for the cup. But I think the reality is that BAPs window isn't closed. LAPs wont be closed if they fail. The perception of many players is focused on TPE averages, or how many 2k players are on the first line. But sometimes the teams that make it the furthest have the deepest teams in terms of the LR, and not the players. They stick around a long time, knowing that a few key movements can make a big difference. Patience can play a big role in success.

All that to say, I don't know if I can agree with what Sven said about the window closing. I never thought Fitted or Ronlain would have so much success this late in their careers, and maybe fiddler would have too. But, I do know that every GM contends with this. There isn't a team out there that hasn't been told it's not working out, or who hasnt dealt with inactivity from key pieces. It may be that the intent was to roll with the current roster, through thick and thin, but when players decide they want a change of pace, there's nothing you can do as GM about it. So maybe the move is to restart, instead of wallowing in missing the playoffs by 10 games.

I feel as though I'm digressing, though from what actual point im not sure.

I guess my thought is that it's always tragic when your plan gets usurped, or things go awry. But, its good for all of us to recognize that GMs are doing what they think is best without malice (at least towards their own team). The good news is, the players that leave EDM are improving their new teams and are trying to have full, exciting careers. That's what it's all about baybeeeeee.

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]