Create Account

(GRADED)Deep Dive #1 - Rookie seasons of a defender vs forward
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2022, 10:23 AM by CptSquall. Edited 1 time in total.)

My second SHL player is still in his rookie season, competing in the SMJHL playoffs as I type.  In this deep dive, I wanted to look at the rookie seasons of my current player, Bavel Pure, and my previous player, Lyle Odelein III.  Lyle was a defender and Bavel is a forward, so, I wanted to dive deep into both of their rookie numbers in the regular season to see how they both fared.

Let's take a look at Lyle's rookie season first.  Lyle was selected by the St. Louis Scarecrows in the second round, with the 20th overall pick.  He spent his rookie season on the third defensive pairing, playing behind some top notch players.  So, he didn't get the chance to play a crazy amount of time, he only saw 314 minutes of ice time, averaging 6 minutes and 27 seconds of playing time per game.  When he was on the ice, he wasn't turning too many heads, in the 50 games he played, he scored 2 goals and had 5 assists.  He did have a +/- of 13, 26 penalty minutes (10 minutes of those were from the 2 fights he was in), 25 hits, 13 shots for a shooting percentage of 15.38% and for a player who would go on to dominate the league in the blocked shots category, he only got in the way of 22 shots.

Fast forward 18 seasons, the St. Louis Scarecrows used their 14th overall pick to select right winger Bavel Pure.  Pure is a goal scorer, through and through, unlike Lyle who made a career stopping pucks getting to the net.  Pavel spent most of his time on the third line, with some time on the power play as well (averaging 1 minute 5 seconds per game).  He tripled Lyle's total time on ice with 989 minutes (averaging 14:59 per game), the only stats that Bavel didn't beat Lyle's rookie season on were penalty minutes (Bavel only had 16, no fights either!) and of course blocked shots, Bavel only had 16 of those as well.  Bavel's rookie numbers were as follows, 16 goals, 21 assists, a 0 +/-, 25 hits, with a shooting percentage of 13.4% on 119 shots

Just looking at the raw stat lines, most peoples first thought is that Bavel Pure had the far better rookie year when compared to Lyle Odelein III, I would be one of those people too!  I tried to figure if their season were that different when it came to ice time and the other roster players.  As mentioned earlier, Lyle played on the third pairing of a stacked Scarecrows team, who just had one their 3rd consecutive Four Star cup, so his numbers might be a bit skewed because of his lack of playing time.  But the more I thought about it, Lyle really didn't have that great of a start to his career.  Now, I fell that he went on to have an excellent career, both for the Crows and the Specters in the SHL.  What I am hoping with Bavel, who I think had a very, very solid rookie campaign, is that he follows the same path, and just keeps improving on his game for the Crows and then for whichever team drafts him into the SHL and we eventually start seeing his name on some of the offensive stat leaderboards, just like Lyle was a mainstay on some of the defensive stat leaderboards.

That concludes my deep dive #1, thanks for reading!

[Image: Ci4nm13.png]sig by @Bruins10 
Scarecrows   Specters   Canada 

Continue like that, we will need a sniper like Pure to win it! Scarecrows

[Image: SyiOY8U.png]
[Image: un22.png] [Image: 5tu6.png]

Approved, +5 TPE to @Huck24

[Image: CptSquall.gif]