Create Account

S66 PT #3: Breakaway Challenge

I think shootouts in IIHF tournaments were used poorly, but they're ok for regular season NHL. They can be exciting, but for the most part, they're too gimmicky. 3 on 3 overtime is a gimmick itself as well, but at least the teams are still playing some hockey. For the sake of the fans, I don't think ties should be brought back and for the sake of the players, regular season games shouldn't last indefinitely until someone scores. The change I would make is lengthening 3 on 3 to ten minutes to give teams a little more time to score in that manner. I find 3 on 3 much more exciting than the shootout and this would be a good compromise as it wouldn't extend the length of the game by too much. It could also change the dynamic as teams might have to work in more depth players instead of having stars out every second shift with the longer OT time.

[Image: jrousseau.gif]
[Image: j7ebBxQ.png] [Image: FbT2Pb1.png]
Canada Knights Canada Knights Canada

HOCKEY PROMPT-

The NHL using shootouts to end games is a fun way to showcase individual players skills vs goalies. To be honest it is not a bad way to go. It keeps the games short and also saves the players energy for future games. But i think another interesting possible way to end games is to take the current Overtime period of 3v3 for 5 minutes and tweak it a bit. They should start OT 4v4 for 5 minutes then go down to 3v3 for the next 5 minutes then 2v2 for final 5 minutes. Then finally if it is not settled by then then it should go to a shootout. I feel like that would give a little more open play on the ice while allowing players to show their elite skills. Also I think 2v2 would be pretty cool to see since you cannot play with only 2 players it would add a look that we have not seen yet. 
-161 words

[Image: jumbobone19.gif]
[Image: 9tINabI.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: xc2IPJy.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: wW0VNnL.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM @sköldpaddor @Merica for the Sigs
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2022, 06:10 PM by goldenglutes.)

well koivu of the binko variety has decided to do the break a way challenge by literally breaking away all of the major bones in his body before trying to shoot the puck on net! while he is skating, he starts to bash himself in the legs with his stainless steel stick so that he breaks both his fibia and his tibia, which of course makes skating a little bit difficult. then binko starts bashing himself in the arms with the stick! that way he breaks both of his arms and starts having to just slither along the ice, pushing the puck with his mouth. next he tries his best to break his ribs, but of course this is quite hard when all 4 of his limbs have broken bones. so he tries to just flop up and down really hard and tries to crack his ribs against the ice while he is still of course moving the puck forward and making sure that it never travels in the backward direction as that would be against break away rules of course. then he slithers along with the puck into the net, and the goalie is so shocked that they do not dare stop him

creative prompt btw

[Image: glutes2.gif]
Signatures by Vulfzilla, Jepox, Jess, rum_ham, Ragnar, and myself
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]
[Image: tkMQzhf.png] [Image: tdKmZA0.png]

Written Task: You've got one breakaway attempt on national television with no holds barred. You have to pull off the most fun, exciting, theatrical breakaway attempt in SHL history. Costumes? Sure. Wires from the ceiling that help you fly? Why not. Fireworks on your skates? Absolutely! This barely even has to be a hockey moment. As long as you put the puck on net and entertain the fans, you're doing your job. (150+ words)

Ok I absolutely loved that goal that the kid scored sliding in to the goal on his butt, so we're going to combine that with a spin-o-rama. So, Aksel is parked against the boards, and Clem sends him a sweet pass off his backhand. Fiske launches off the boards to grab it, and in comes the spin-o-rama, a sleek little thing that has him in second position (shoutout to my ballerinos and ballerinas) and then he takes off going full sprint. It's been a minute since he got his skates sharpened, there's been a bunch of road games and he prefers to do them himself, so his skate catches. He goes down, on his butt, but keeps the puck on his stick. It happens right by the hash marks, so the goalie's thrown off guard. Aksel pops it top shelf over the shoulder, and the horn bellows. Great breakaway, and an excellent dogpile after.

Here's the vid of the kid scoring

[Image: 1091735715194343496][Image: merh.gif][Image: 1091735379956211812]
[Image: jZtKPwK.png]    [Image: Thz4BYW.png]    [Image: ivBf7yq.png]    [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

[Image: merha.gif]
[Image: kvwHYOm.gif]
gay heghog

Creative prompt Kahn on PBE
With no holds barred, I am going to reintroduce a concept I have been asking for, for a while now. We are going to add ramps to the ice so I can get some air, hit a 360 no scope with the puck on my stick and put it right over the goalie’s shoulder. Sure, with ramps come the added risk of injury. But hey, this is hockey and we have managed to get through these seasons without injuries somehow. I think for the most part, SHL and SMJHL games are safe from injures, as if the sim gods have turned off injuries. This breakaway attempt will razzle and dazzle all the attendees. Such a goal has not been observed before. This will set my player apart from the other greats of the league. The first ramp jump 360 no scope goal over the goalie’s shoulder. We aren’t going for cheap gimmicks on this attempt like fireworks or wires from the ceiling. The air we get off these ramps are going to be legit air and not suspended from the ceiling air. What goes up must come down and these ramps will show that. (195 words)

Reed Kobo - Winger - #33
Player Page- Update Page
Elijah Jones - Winger - #33 Retired
Player Page - Update Page
Toivo Kosonen - Defenseman - #33 Retired
Player PageUpdate Page
[Image: 2ew9foG.png][Image: rnSNsnU.png]

PBE PT

[Image: image0.gif]
[Image: psdforbrookssiganimatedwhitetext.gif]

Kermit Murphy has been a solid defenseman for the Seattle Argonauts for years, but he showed off his offensive skills in a big way recently.

Murphy scored an absolutely gorgeous breakaway goal against the Los Angeles Panthers, making a beautiful backhand-to-forehand move to deke the goalie and slide the puck into the net. He opened the move with a backhand toe drag to Olaf Karsikko's glove side that saw the goalie bite hard and slide well out of the net the minute Murphy cut back the other way.

It was a thing of beauty, and it's safe to say that it's the nicest breakaway goal ever seen. Murphy's teammates were thrilled for him, and all of the fans stood up and clapped. This observer's 7-month old son shed a single tear before declaring "we will never see another like that in my lifetime," and I for one agree with my incredibly wise progeny.

It's great to see Murphy get some offensive recognition, as he's been an offensively challenged mainstay for the Argonauts for years. Here's hoping he can keep up the good work and help lead the team to victory.

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

Hockey Prompt

I think the shootout is the perfect way to end a hockey game. This is because they have already played 10 minutes of extra hockey with their supposed best players on the ice, and both teams failed to score any goals, so any more extra hockey is just giving both teams a third chance to close out the game that neither deserve. The shootout is perfect because it turns what is usually a team game of 5 on 5 into a simple skater vs goalie battle, more mental than anything here, as it is not practiced as much as the defensive and offensive gameplans that were in place for the 70 minutes of hockey played already. In this mental battle, the experience becomes unique to every other aspect of the game, as 1 shot going in or clanging off the side of the goalpost, it is more tense than any infinite 3 on 3 could be and that is why the shootout is the best option for ending hockey games.

[Image: unknown.png]
[Image: lIYTYDN.png] [Image: 9pUocRs.png] [Image: tCcIWQC.png] 
[Image: Skree.gif]

I think the conversation about NHL overtime rules is very very interesting. To me the most notable thing is how fair it is, given that in the shootout both teams get an equal opportunity to win the game is important and the NHL has succeeded in this regard. With that said, I think where the shootout falls flat is when a team doesn't have someone who is good at shootouts. Shootouts are a very unique skill, and just like everything in the NHL. or just professional sports for that matter, there are players that excel greatly at it and not much else. So it's very possible that some teams just don't really have player that thrives in the shootout so it could end up in it being boring. I think that a 3v3 game is a far more exciting alternative for this reason. Almost every player in the NHL is good at just regular hockey, and 3v3 is way closer to actual hockey than a shootout is, so every player is effective at it.
(177 words)

[Image: cooldudeam1234.gif]
(Sig Credit: toedragon84)

https://worldsimbasketball.jcink.net/ind...st&p=41248
(Wsbl pt)

Quote:
Citadelles

holy cow tommy westbrook (but this time i upd got selected to participate in the simulation hockey league breakaway challenge during the all star week. this is incredible and rather shocking considering tommy westbrook (but this time i upd stinks at playing hockey. so first things first right. tommy westbrook (but this time i upd will bring out the pigs. probably a couple of hogs and then he would give them like hockey sticks. and like as they are skating down the ice they would like pass the puck back and forth while in the meantime tommy westbrook (but this time i upd is skating behind them ready to pounce at any moment. so the pig passes it back to tommy westbrook (but this time i upd and he like slaps the puck hard into the net. he gets a ton of style points because he used some cool pig props and then he comes in last place. he takes the pigs back into the locker room out of sight of the camera.

[Image: TommyWestbrook.jpg]
[Image: UznKCpb.png]

Tommi Koivu has a breakaway. He has seen his idol Rotticus Scott in this same scenario so many times. He remember's Rotticus' signature move of a quick backhand fake to a snapper right over the goalies shoulder. That move was done so many times and these goalies never even adjusted to it. Scott would maybe talk like he's going to change it up some day, but no, he'd just backhand, forehand, snipe bar down over the goalies glove hand. The kid was cracked, I wish we got to see him live up to his full potential. He was honestly a aj....TOMMI FORGOT HE HAD THE PUCK. OH NO HE GOES CRASHING INTO THE GOALIE. WHERE'S THE PUCK? THE GOALIE SCRAMBLING A TOMMI IS POINT AT THE NET! THE PUCK IS IN THE BACK OF THE NET! TOMMI SCORES THE BREAKAWAY IN SILLY FASHION! I CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR THIS STORY POST GAME ABOUT WHAT HE COULD'VE POSSIBLY BEEN THINKING THERE.

[Image: rotti.gif]

PT Pass

[Image: blix900.gif]

[Image: QwTZD8C.png][Image: iemKOIk.png]

Hockey Prompt -

[Author's note: I normally go for the player prompts, but I wasn't feeling too creative as a goalie with the breakaway challenge]. The shootout is the worst thing to happen to the NHL, and to international ice hockey in general. While a shootout is a fun event to participate in as a player and fun to watch as a spectator, using it as an official way to declare a winner in something as serious as the National Hockey league or in the International Ice Hockey Federation (INCLUDING MEDAL GAMES) is ridiculousness. I understand why regular season games can't have infinite overtime. The NHLPA doesn't want players dying on ice from fatigue in regular season games, and I'm sure players don't want to be spending 3 hours on the ice just to try to earn an extra point in the standings. Likewise, the western hemisphere (well, at least the US) seems to hate ties (despite the fact that the biggest sport in North America has games end in ties, but I digress). So if we can't have ties, and can't have continuous OT, what can we do? It seems like we're stuck with the shootout. But we can at least try to delay the shootout. Regular season OT games should have a full 20 minutes, instead of 5 as is now. I would bet my house less than 10% of games, with the current 3 on 3 style, would go the full distance with an additional 15 minutes of time available. On the IIHF side of things, simply make OT continuous. Seriously. No one wants to see a gold medal game end in a fucking mini game.

[Image: 65151_s.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png] [Image: OOcGSpM.png]