Create Account

S66 PT #3: Breakaway Challenge

Shootouts get horrible rep because "its unfair it is decided by a skills competition". All I can say to that is my brother in christ, you had 65 minutes to win the game, your fault you squandered it. I think shootouts add a whole new facet to the game. It also prevents the games from going forever. Can you imagine having a back to back games where you play 7 overtime periods? Your players would probably die on the spot from exhaustion.
That aside, I think that the shootout itself is one of the most thrilling ways to get a victory, and a perfect way to showcase the talent of the league and its players. I am even totally for having shootouts decide playoff games and even the finals. Maybe do it after 5 periods or something like that. Some of the most exciting soccer world cup finals have ended in penalty shootouts and it would be great to see it sometime here as well!

Raptors Raptors  Raptors Raptors Raptors Raptors

Forge Forge Forge Forge Forge Forge 

Germany Germany Germany Germany Germany Germany 

[Image: drokeep.gif]

Hockey prompt 

I think overall, shootouts are a decent solution to the very real problem of ties. Ending games on a tie is horrible from a fan reception perspective so the fact that it took as long as it did for the NHL to address is it is honestly shocking in hindsight. And there really is no perfect solution; I think in a ideal world we’d all love 3v3 overtime to go for as long as it takes but it’s just not feessible in an 82 game schedule. There is an argument to be made to extend 3v3 to 7 or 10 mins, but it’s quite likely that players would be against this - extra time means less rest between games. I personally think shootouts are very hit and miss, some of them are thrilling while others are kinda meh. This isn’t really different from any other aspect of NHL hockey tho, there’s always gonna be games of varying quality. So, in conclusion, shootouts are a relatively inoffensive aspect of NHL hockey, and they serve their purpose of giving closure to close games in a way that is reasonable and fair. (193 words)

[Image: kezia-elk4-smol.png]
sig by me (:

Kezia MacKenzie - LW - Regina Elk - Atlanta Inferno

Creative
Nothing can hold dear old Valtterri Kauppinen from pulling off the best breakaway goal of all time, absolutely nothing. This is absolutely going to be one for the history books and your local Koopa is going to make it all happen. First, he's going to exit the arena, the sound of his skates scraping against the concrete like nails on a chalkboard to every fan's ears. Then, he's getting on a plane to Houston. Little did everyone back at the arena know, he had scheduled this very far in advance, rigged his way into the breakaway challenge, and had a lot more prep time than the rest of the players. Kauppinen lands at the Shuttle Landing Facility at the Johnson Space Center. It's time. Kauppinen is ferried over to the new Space Launch System. He enters. Take off. Upon reaching Earth's orbit, those nerds down at NASA have him positioned for re-entry and "landing" right at the arena. Upon re-entry, he crashes directly into the arena. Everyone inside is utterly vaporized. The smoke clears.

The puck is in the net. Good goal.

[Image: Pythonic.gif] [Image: Championship_Sig.png]

[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] [Image: QtEp67y.png] [Image: 2sRs0Cq.png]

hockey prompt

well you see now shootouts really are not the most ideal way to end a good ol hockey game i did not train for five point one years in the american coast guard with my many brothers in arms who rallied behind me and me behind them in full patriotic glory being fully supportive of each other so to put a single lone wolf player out there like a sniper alone in the woods goes against every god given hockey talent we each have sure its cool when once every fourteen years a cool shootout happens but then other times we get dumb ass coaches who put out your seventh d as a shooter and you and the others are like why is the pylon shooting but in overtime theres no room for those chucklefuck catering eating nerds hell no put out the super squad in a three vee three oh tee to go play keepaway for a few minutes i guess actually maybe ot isnt much better but in playoffs all is good so thats nice

Hockey prompt

I personally don’t mind the shoot out to end a regular season game. I grew up with the tie game, so having a winner is something I’ve liked since the shoot outs were introduced. I wouldn’t be opposed to maybe seeing a longer 3 on 3, since they are very entertaining to watch, but I totally understand needed a way to end a game without burning out all the players with a never ending next goal wins scenario. I really do like how playoffs are a different story. No game that matters should end on any type of shoot out. I’m looking at you football/soccer. What a crappy way to decide a team sport. There is nothing better than a triple overtime goal by a fourth liner, who just had that extra bit of gas in the tank to help their team take the gruelling affair. I can’t think of a better system to end games in both the regular season and playoffs.

[Image: Ci4nm13.png]sig by @Bruins10 
Scarecrows   Specters   Canada 

My breakway is so super duper cool. When I make my breakaway attempt for the Hamilton Steelhawks of the SImulation Hockey league. Do I start at center ice? Yes. But then I do not go forwards towards the enemy goal, no. Instead I go backwards to my own, I go around the net, and then around, and then around one last third time, and then I make my way around. Am I going in a straight line? No I do not go straight, instead I do repeated 360s (in case this in unclear, I spin around and around periodically moving slightly forward, as the entire time I spin, the puck continues its forward momentum. Eventually as I reach the enemy net, I do not go straight for it. No, Instead again I go around the net, three times just like the first time in an attempt to confuse the goalie. On my third time I wrap it around his legs. Does the puck go in? No. I am unsuccessful

[Image: j2h9XpS.png]
Thanks to JSS for the signature

[Image: ohmEd0h.png][Image: apAE8qn.png]

CREATIVE PROMPT

Slip McScruff's breakaway is breaking away from the ice when he's tired and wants to go home. He has an elaborate ruse with many costumes and fireworks. First he puts on a trench coat and invites out two lookalikes also in trench coats. The three of them make a mad dash to the exits while the PA system plays yakety sax. The first one is caught with a puff of air cannon blowing away his trench coat shortly after he reaches one of the exits. The second one has his coat stepped on by a planted fan and the coat rips away as he runs by. The third one however, makes it all the way to the parking lot. When he reaches his car, a firework hits him and burns away his coat to show he wasn't even a real McScruff. At this point, the spotlight returns to the ice to show the puck inching towards the goal. Slip had nudged it when running away and the goalie didn't notice.

When everyone notices, it is too late to stop it and the breakaway is scored. Slip is cruising down the highway in a fake moustache. He had switched coats as the planted fan and snuck off. Some confused individual finds their cup full of cheez-its. What the eff, he's done it again.

[Image: scrufdaddy2.gif]
credit to Flappy, ToeDragon, and Carpy

Patriotes Stars Panthers Platoon Specters Platoon Panthers Specters Aurora Jets Usa Scarecrows

[Image: Tqabyfh.png][Image: UDyqktK.png][Image: 1DL5JDX.png]

I’ve had a love/hate relationship with the shootout over the years. I remember when it was first in the NHL. I wasn’t a fan. I enjoyed the potential extra period of hockey you could get to determine a winner. A shootout wasn’t nearly exciting, especially when it could be over in a matter of minutes. What I didn’t like very much before the shootout rule came about was the tie. It took some time, but the shootout eventually grew on me. The idea that one team was going to walk away from every game with an additional number in the W column is what swayed me in that direction. Even if you didn’t end up getting the win, you were still awarded with an Overtime Loss and came out of the game with one point. It was the best of both worlds really. On top of that, actually being at the game for a shootout was more exciting than I expected. All in all, I don’t think it’s a bad thing. Would I like more minutes of actual hockey? Sure - but I see the benefits of the shootout now.

HOCKEY PROMPT
[190 words]

[Image: the5urrealshl.gif]

[Image: 9TttCL9.png][Image: n25g4JC.png][Image: P0OHsLJ.png][Image: DS1jqys.png][Image: M98Qi4H.png]
[Image: KOKeZZJ.png]

prompt 1

Pablo Salvatici, forward extraordinaire and general scumbag from the Atlanta Inferno hockey franchise based out of the Simulation Hockey League, had one of the craziest and most wacky and zany and silly breakaway attempts that national television has ever seen the other night. He gave the phrase "penalty shot" a new meaning after he pulled off the drunkest breakaway attempt in many many years. After emerging from the tunnel wearing nothing but an Atlanta Inferno speedo and his skates, he downed three consecutive shots and took to ice very unsteadily. He did manage to make it to centre ice and even got the puck into the offensive zone. He then proceeded to take a slapshot from the hashmarks, missed high and wide, and then wiped out in the corner. He had to be helped off the ice and caused the other contestants to have their attempts delayed by 20 minutes as he threw up on this way off the ice. League sources were overheard regretting inviting Pablo to the event altogether and vowed not to let him participate next season.

180 words

[Image: Jepox.gif]

WSBL Affiliate Task

[Image: michiganshl.gif]

While I can definitely understand why a lot of people don't like shootouts, personally I prefer them to a tie. A tie is just a boring, unsatisfying way to end a game. I don't even like ending my beer league games in a tie, I can't imagine how NHLers feel about it. As much as I'm sure everyone would love endless overtime, from a logistical perspective it just doesn't make sense for anyone. During the playoffs it's one thing, but in the regular season, for 82 games over 32 teams, it just doesn't make sense. Fans don't want to stay up until 1 am for overtime, players got other games to prepare for, traveling, back to back games, etc. Broadcasters have too many other games to show, they'd run out of channels to put them on. Games can't go on forever, and ties are too unsatisfying, so I like shootouts to settle it. I just wish they would update the points system to make every game worth 3 points. 3-2-1-0 for W-OT/SOW-OT/SOL-L.

[Image: symmetrik.gif]

Prince George Firebirds GM (S34-S36)
Toronto North Stars GM (S37-S43)
[Image: XtyrY3M.png]

I don't really like the shootouts tbh. In a pure hockey sense, shootouts are a waste of time. I enjoy way more a 3 on 3 overtime than a shootout where you have 75% of the shooters who are not actual danglers and can show their moves. It can be so boring when you watch 5 or 6 rounds in a shootout where the shooters are not danglers like McJesus. Real hockey is when there's a lot of counter attacks, breakaways and where the fans are stressed that the opposing team is going on a 2 on 1 or when they are excited when their favorite player os on a breakaway in overtime. That being said, shootouts can be boring most of the time. I suggest 3 x 5 minutes and if there's no winner after all these overtime periods, then we can go with a shootout. There's no better hockey than a 3 on 3 Overtime, in my opinion.

[Image: dad.png]

David-Arturri Donskoi
Regina Elk
Hey I'm DAD can I adopt you?

Marty Sanderson and shoot outs are a match made in heavan.

Capes? Abolsutely. Goggles? BSOLUTELY.

First, theme song. We'd skate in to baby shark on full blast. Smoke machines blasting, lights throbbing, epeleptics seizuring, whole works.

First the move? Shoot blocker low.

Second the deke? Fake shot, leg kick, toe drag to blocker side.

thirdly? Crowd Chanty: SANDY SANDY SANDY SANDY SANDY SANDY SANDY etc etc until their voices cracked and the roof came off.

Fourthidly: White skates, white gloves, white helmet, black visor, neon laces.

5thidly; We got a cape, it's just the canadian flag.

Goggles: We look like sean white out there, greatest north american boarder of all time. Man runs through snow like a young johnny gaudreau. Carve it, sniff it same thing.

7thily: Who are we skating down on to score against? Empty net himself.

Marty Sanderson greatest goal scorer on empty nets ever

tryna make a change

WSBL Affiliate

[Image: greg.png?ex=656fa055&is=655d2b55&hm=c3f3...f36747c30&]

PBE Affiliate

[Image: ProjectSaint.gif]
Sig Credit: Flappy (EVO) and Skolpaddor (RESO)

EMEKA VALENTINE-OKOLI/PLAYER

First SMJHL Goal: Colorado Raptors, Emeka Valentine-Okoli 1 (Mikelis Ozoliņš 4, Loki Odinsson 3) at 3:12, 2nd Period (GWG) / SMJHL S47 Game 47 Day 12: Colorado Raptors vs Detroit Falcons
First SHL Goal: Texas Renegades, Emeka Valentine-Okoli 1 (Josef Kubinec 5, Ricky Spanish 4) at 16:23, 2nd Period / SHL S51 Game 71 Day 16: Edmonton Blizzard vs Texas Renegades

Eternal RaptorsRaptors Old, onwards we roll Rage

And Let's Retire at the Pinnacle