Create Account

S66 PT #5: Hot Take Hoedown

Take 1: More than half of the first round will be decided by sweeps.

Answer: No, this is not going to be true. Even though six out of eight series are 2-0 after first two games, we need to be patient. It is not unusual that better seeds won their first two home games. Now we will move to home ices of worse teams and I am sure those teams can win at least once in front of full house at their home arena. Meaning of home crowd is huge and it affect for referees. That's why I predict those teams who are now down 0-2 will get some help from referees and more PP opportunities. Now they just need to use them and that way win at least one hockey game. For example when I write this my team Seattle is 0-2 down in series against San Francisco but I am sure we will still find ways to win hockey games at the Argonauts arena. So, in the end, I think maximum of two series will be 4-0.

[Image: salming.png]

Player prompt - graphic
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1...erview.png

[Image: 64377_v.gif]
Whalers Whalers Whalers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack
Finland / Germany  
Big thanks to Pythonic(first sig evah), Sloth(first LAP sig<3) and Ragnar for their sigs<3
Two time playoffs MVP and two time nominee
Triple gold club
Discord: asska

Hockey Prompt:

Take 4:

Hamilton will go further than LAP. It is written. Hamilton could have a roster average of 187 TPE and still make the playoffs, win a round or two, and drive everyone up a wall. They have a roster of husks this year, goalies in the basement, and yet had two of their players over a point per game, finished only 11 games under 0.500, and have depth scoring where it shouldn't be. Now, granted, HAMMIE is down 2 games to none to possible champ Atlanta, but don't let that fool you. Hamilton has a knack for looking down and coming back with a force. I suspect they pull of the rare-sighted reverse sweep. Once they dispatch ATL, they will face and then dismantle pretender TBB. Making it to the third round is all they have to do (plus they will be beaten by Buffalo), because LAP will lose in 6 to Chicago in the Western matchup. No matter what we in the SHL choose to believe, the Great Lakes will always have their success. Buffalo ends up taking out Chicago in the final to continue their run of success late into the S60s.

[Image: DqlVneu.png][Image: FVlMRDN.png][Image: q30YniK.png]

Credit to enigmatic, Merica, and tweedledunn for sigs

ph

[Image: manh_sig6.png?width=499&height=542][Image: lebedev-sig.gif]

I think Manhattan has a good chance to represent the east in the finals for a couple of reasons. For one, they have been overperforming all season...almost to the point where you can't say it's really overperforming anymore. Secondly, provided they get past Tampa Bay (a big if, seeing as they're down 2-0 at this time), their logical next opponent would be the Atlanta Inferno. Manhattan swept Atlanta in the regular season, accounting for 6 of Atlanta's 14 losses. After Atlanta they would most likely face Buffalo, another team Manhattan performed well against in the regular season. Obviously playoffs are a whole different beast, but Manhattan has performed very well against teams that are better than them on paper all season long. I think anyone that faces them in the playoffs has to be at least a little concerned, and I'm very excited to see what they can do in the coming seasons as well.

[Image: steveoiscool.gif]

Duncan Mackenzie is used to having people snipe at him online and in interviews. He is an aggressive player who rides the line and people hate playing against him. Some folks might question his reduced hits and penalty minutes this year, but he put up 70 points, good for 2nd on the team, and led his team in hits. He had an exceptional season and that makes it very easy to shut out the noise this year. He is worried about not bringing it in the playoffs, as he has a tendency to disappear when he was in the J playoffs and his international tournament record is weak. this may be his chance to shed the "poor in the playoffs" label and it is getting hard to block out that noise in the runup to the series against the heavily favoured Los Angeles Panthers. He tries to respond on the ice, but it is clear that he is nervous and frustrated with the narrative in his pre-playoff interviews and soundbites.

[Image: %3E%5Balign=center%5D]
Aurora Winnipeg Aurora Aurora

Quote:Take 3: We see more upsets than ever before in the FHM era. Like 8+ rounds won by lower seeded teams.
I kinda hope this is the case, but I get a bit of an advantage in examining this take because we've seen a couple playoff games played already. We can see already that many of the top seed teams are leading their series, the only exception so far is Tampa being up 2-0 on Manhattan. Toronto and Montreal are tied at 1, and Winnipeg and Nola are also tied at 1, so we could see the lower ranked team having a chance in those. I think a lot of the wildcard teams are not really in a position where they should be in the playoffs, like Texas being 24-34-8, no way that team should be in. Similarly Hamilton was 25-36-5, not playoff material, but with such a small league it's bound to happen, 16 out of 20 teams making it means we get these wonky matchups of a team that went 50-14-2 against a team that went 25-36-5. With that in mind I don't think we will see 8+ series won by the lower seed. I would expect it to be closer to 4-5. Round 1 is usually where you see this sort of thing happen but with a league that only has 4 teams missing the playoffs the top 4 divisional teams get a very easy win in round 1. We could see upsets in the 2 vs 3 matchups, but even if half of those are upsets that's only 2 expected upsets in round 1. Then you're down to only 7 series left, you'd need 6 out of 7 remaining series to be upsets to get higher than 8. There's just no way it's going to happen in my opinion.

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

Jonathan Mercer deals with toxic Scarecrows fans on Twitter much akin to Brad Marchand from the Boston Bruins - by lighting their ass up and clowning on their profile picture. It has earned him respect from fans from other fanbases. Mercer is known to talk mad shit both on ice and on the internet, and backs his words up after a bad game when Scarecrow fans call for him to get traded (which happens more than it should honestly). Jonathan Mercer will be a name that some Scarecrow fans (the ones who get roasted) would be happy to see gone to another SMJHL team, while the majority of fans would be unhappy with that trade unlike the return is spectacular.

Even though the Scarecrows are unlikely to trade Jonathan Mercer, I think that there is potential he could get traded in the the Scarecrows try to either push for a Challenge Cup or to rebuild their team in order to challenge in the future. We'll see how it turns out, but I think that Mercer will be a Scarecrow for the duration of his SMJHL Career.

[Image: g7VtVXX.png?1]

[Image: Z8YSDad.gif]

[Image: crutchfield.gif]

Take 1: More than half of the first round will be decided by sweeps.

Good thing that the playoffs have already started! I only needed to wait two days to do this PT to already have a little bit of hinsight on my side to make that prediction now and see how things could shape up. Interestingly enough we sit at exactly 50% now after three games in the first round. So this take has already been proven wrong, it can't be more than half of the first round series that could end up in sweeps, that ship has already sailed. But what about the 50%, will that number hold? Will one of the four teams currently on the verge of getting swept will pull it off and win at least one game, or dare I say even start a comeback (lolno, not in the FHM era). I'd say there is a decent chance for that to happen still, but it basically comes down to one team. Three of the four teams who are down 3-0 were also the three worst teams in the regular season to make it into the playoffs: Texas, Calgary and Hamilton. I wouldn't put it past them to steal a game late in the series, but it's not looking particularly likely against the three best teams in the league and with momentum strongly against them now. So we'll likely have put our hopes on the Manhattan Rage, the fourth team on the verge of a sweep, but one who were actually the higher seed in their match-up. Frankly it was a relatively close race in the regular season between them and TBB, but it's still surprising to see a higher seeded team down 0-3 in todays SHL. If they can find some of that regular season magic again, especially from Lev Lebedev, then they could force their way back into the series and put the number of sweeps in the first round under 50%.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

Prompt 2

I do believe that Montreal will get past Toronto in the playoffs in a near reverse-sweep (they are currently down 1-3 at the time of writing). However, I do not believe that Buffalo will be the team that they play in the playoffs. You see, the Philadelphia Forge have been one of if not the most unlucky team throughout the playoffs, and as a team that has slowly begun to heat up their playoff performances the last few seasons, going from being swept to being beaten 4-1 or 4-2 to last season being reverse swept in an incredibly difficult, painful, and unfortunate situation. As of writing, the Forge are currently tied with the Stampede 2-2 after 4 games and are in a great position to make the second round of the playoffs for the first time in their existence. With every season drawing closer and closer to this inevitability, it just makes sense that this would be the season that the Forge do away with the storied Stampede and begin to usher in their own era of dominance as their core gets only stronger from here on out.

[Image: laser.png]

[Image: Virrok.png]
Thanks to EAB and sulovien for the sigs!

Player prompt: Graphic task

[Image: xbYMBfx.png]

[Image: sigrotator123.gif]
 [Image: UEX4RCQ.png]  [Image: PHI-pepe2.png]  [Image: r2pSvNf.png]
Special thanks to Carpy48, Ragnar, Merica, High Stick King, Sulovilen, sothfacekilla, enigmatic and LeSizz for the signatures!

Take 2:

Wow, this is sure looking like a bad take with Montreal on the ropes. Harry Carpet turns the clock back and is delivering an incredible playoff performance in front of a scrappy Toronto team. The North Stars took game one pretty handily with a 5-2 victory on the road. Game two was a tight 2-1 overtime loss and game three was much the same with a 4-3 overtime win. Game four was another 5-2 win for the North Stars and put Montreal on the ropes for the rest of round one. The Patriotes cannot afford to lose any more games and one wonders if they were so worried about Buffalo that they forgot they had to show up to play in the first round; it's a lot of pressure for the PT team to put on Montreal and I'm glad they did it. Let's hope this doesn't blow up in my face...

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]

PBE Affiliate

[Image: CAu3g3c.png]

[Image: zS2lCMp.png]  [Image: oMh09WY.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: wu5MVvy.png]  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

PLAYER PROMPT

Walton Stromberg does not take any media too seriously, and it never affects his game. Unless some significant publication underestimates Walton or his team - in that case it may put a chip on his shoulder. As far as social media goes, Walton however sometimes enjoys reading what people say and he even has a couple of burner accounts he uses to participate in the conversation. He pretends to be a fan, and often replies to hockey reporters, bloggers and other influencers. He does not like when people make false statements, and therefore he sometimes acts as a fact checker and tells how things really are. Something about misinformation just bugs him. He has multiple times for example revealed something about his injuries, contract negotiations etc., when people have clearly made things up. He has covered his traces carefully enough, so nobody has yet caught him using the burner accounts, even though some of his friends and family know that is a habit of his.

[Image: sulov.gif]

PLAYER PROMPT
Karl has been pretty long known to not really bullshit too much. Interviews are usually on the shorter side, but he gives real answers. Known responses such as "We need to get the fucking puck out of our net" when asked what they needed to do better in one of his early seasons has stuck with him. Not one to shirk away and answer "we need to stick to the game plan" he is known for giving short, terse answers that relay how he is feeling. How very German of him.
Management definitely doesn't love his responses that can be taken as criticism, but as far as Karl is concerned, that's not his job. He's here to do the best he can. He helps out his team, and isn't willing to tolerate bullshit or inability to learn from mistakes, or take responsibility from them at his age. Who knows, maybe some people even look towards him on how to be professional, and if they are willing to be human beings in public, maybe that is a good thing.

[Image: krash.gif]

[Image: kLRJavo.png][Image: ZjgHcNL.png]

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]