Create Account

SHL/SMJHL Rulebook Updates
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2022, 01:09 PM by sköldpaddor. Edited 1 time in total.)

Good morning SHL!

Over the past couple of weeks, Head Office and the SMJHL Commissioner (that’s @ACapitalChicago) have been discussing some changes/additions to the SHL rulebook to provide additional clarity for SHL GMs regarding appropriate procedures when dealing with their send-down players. There are rules in place in the SMJHL rulebook regarding those procedures that do not appear in the SHL rulebook, and we realize that can be confusing to SHL GMs who may not know to look in a different rulebook for guidelines on how to call up their players.

First, the following rule is currently in place in the SMJHL rulebook and the SHL rulebook:
SMJHL rulebook wording:
Quote:SHL teams may not send players down after the SMJHL Trade Deadline has passed. They may call their send-downs up at any time.

SHL rulebook wording:
Quote:A player who is called up to their SHL team during the SHL regular season and is still eligible for SMJHL play may not be sent back down following the SMJHL Trade Deadline. SMJHL Players may be called up to their SHL team at any time.

We believe the first portion of this rule serves no purpose. The actual work done for a call-up/send-down situation takes place when the player is first called up and must be added to the SHL file, so we see no reason to disallow a player to be sent down after the SMJHL trade deadline. Thus, that portion of the rule is being struck from both rulebooks.

Secondly, the following rule is currently in place in the SMJHL rulebook but not the SHL rulebook:
Quote:SHL GM's must give advance notice of a call-up to the management team of the respective SMJHL team their send Down is on, at least 24 hours in advance of a call-up. This will be done via PMs AND the Call-Up Thread. In the thread, SHL GM's must clarify for what sims they will be calling up players and tag the respective SMJHL GM’s. Failure to do so will result in the player not being called-up for that day's sim and they may play on the roster of the SMJHL team.

We are making a slight tweak to the wording of this rule, as well as adding it to the SHL rulebook. The new wording is:
Quote:SMJHL players may be called up to their SHL team at any time prior to their SHL team’s elimination from the playoffs. SHL GMs must give advance notice of a call-up to the management team of the SMJHL team their send down is on, at least 24 hours in advance of the next SMJHL sim. This must be done via direct message (Discord or on site) AND the Call-Up Thread. In the thread, SHL GMs must specify for what sims they will be calling up the player, and tag the respective SMJHL GMs. Call-ups within 24 hours of the next SMJHL sim may be allowed solely with the consent of the SMJHL GM. Failure to provide 24 hours notice OR obtain approval from the SMJHL GM will result in the player not being called up for that day's sim and they may play on the roster of the SMJHL team.

This change is being made to both the SHL and SMJHL rulebooks, effective immediately.

Thanks everyone, and have a terrific day!
On behalf of SHL (and SMJHL today) Head Office,
-Jess

P.S. Thank you very much to ACap for the super productive rulebook discussions and letting me do my favorite thing, nitpicking documentation.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

08-17-2022, 11:55 AMsköldpaddor Wrote: (that’s @ACapitalChicago)

Howdy

Also big thanks to SHL HO for being so proactive and helpful with these issues, and working to resolve them in the best interest of the players

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2022, 12:03 PM by HabsFanFromOntario.)

I'm just here to @Yagoyi

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

Good rule.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

A good, quick resolution by HO.

[Image: RAmenAmen.gif]
sig credit: Ragnar, Sulovilen, Enigmatic, Bayley
[Image: kcP9WEd.png] [Image: DNLeeu0.png] [Image: DKMMlC3.png]
[Image: RAmenAmenPride.gif]

08-17-2022, 12:15 PMRAmenAmen Wrote: A good, quick resolution by HO.

I think this is more future proofing tbf, existing things were covered (clunkily) by the current rules.

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]

08-17-2022, 12:30 PMsve7en Wrote:
08-17-2022, 12:15 PMRAmenAmen Wrote: A good, quick resolution by HO.

I think this is more future proofing tbf, existing things were covered (clunkily) by the current rules.

Bit of column A, bit of column B. Some specific issues happened in the past week that highlighted the need for some specific changes, but also we wanted to resolve things a bit for potential future cases

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

Quote:SMJHL players may be called up to their SHL team at any time prior to their SHL team’s elimination from the playoffs. SHL GMs must give advance notice of a call-up to the management team of the SMJHL team their send down is on, at least 24 hours in advance of the next SMJHL sim. This must be done via direct message (Discord or on site) AND the Call-Up Thread. In the thread, SHL GMs must specify for what sims they will be calling up the player, and tag the respective SMJHL GMs. Call-ups within 24 hours of the next SMJHL sim may be allowed solely with the consent of the SMJHL GM. Failure to provide 24 hours notice OR obtain approval from the SMJHL GM will result in the player not being called up for that day's sim and they may play on the roster of the SMJHL team.

Can we have some clarification how this will be enforced to obtain the approval in timely matter? Are the simmer looking to see if the junior gms answer now not proceed the call up if it's not done in time? One of the biggest flaw that i can see is that we do not have the same timeline in term of sim, and sometime, the sim can happen before it's even noticed that someone was called up, as Junior GMs can have life. What happen in the case where a game is simmed and then it's noticed that there was never an OK to this? as it can affect SHL standing.

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]

My only question is how rigidly are we adhering to this 24 hour window for the call-up thread?

If the SMJHL sim is at 9pm, and the SHL sim is at like, 3pm, I don't want to post my callup for the next day after the SHL sim and then potentially confuse the simmer for the SMJHL and screw the team I'm calling someone up from

PatriotesUsaWhalers

[Image: CampinKiller.gif]

Should we just call it the Yagoyi rule or is that too on the nose

[Image: OX6Yrrn.png]

[Image: hPSkjwC.jpg]
Thank you @xjoverax and @phoenix for the sigs!

08-17-2022, 02:04 PMBfine Wrote: Should we just call it the Yagoyi rule or is that too on the nose

If i cant get a rule named after me no one can

[Image: arTbD7O.png]

Germany Berserkers Stampede Stars Barracuda syndicate

08-17-2022, 02:04 PMBfine Wrote: Should we just call it the Yagoyi rule or is that too on the nose
i am the direct reason for an isfl rule so i say go for it

I'd like to make it very clear that these changes were in discussion for over a week prior to the incident that's been referred to here. This isn't a rule designed to target one person, and it's not even a new rule, it's simply the addition of an already-existing rule in the J rulebook to the SHL rulebook for clarity across both leagues.

To answer another question I'm seeing in a couple of posts - we're discussing with ACap the best way to streamline this process and make sure everyone who needs to be (simmers/gms/etc) is kept in the loop to ensure that callups are handled properly.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

08-17-2022, 02:37 PMsköldpaddor Wrote:

I'd like to make it very clear that these changes were in discussion for over a week prior to the incident that's been referred to here. This isn't a rule designed to target one person, and it's not even a new rule, it's simply the addition of an already-existing rule in the J rulebook to the SHL rulebook for clarity across both leagues.

To answer another question I'm seeing in a couple of posts - we're discussing with ACap the best way to streamline this process and make sure everyone who needs to be (simmers/gms/etc) is kept in the loop to ensure that callups are handled properly.
Thank you for all of the work that you do. It’s definitely a system that I’ve found in previous seasons of GMing to be a lil clunky, so streamlining it definitely sounds good.