Create Account

S66 DFA Bounties #4 - The Alternate Timeline

The offseason is closing in on us, and we are almost at the SMJHL Draft. 
Before the real busy season starts, and you're going to be answering scouting messages from every team, it is time to sit back and relax a little. Dreaming about how your life would've looked without hockey.
Written Task: What would your player be doing now, if he or she hadn't pursued a career in hockey? (250 word min.)
Graphic Task: Show us a picture of your player, doing what they'd do if they weren't a hockey player.
Reward: $500,000 for doing one of the above
Only current SMJHL Draftable Free Agents (S66 SMJHL Draftees, SHL class of S67) are eligible for this bounty.
There is no need to claim this anywhere. After grading the money should pop up in your account 'automatically'.
Deadline: Sunday, September 4th @ 11:59PM PST

[Image: jay2233.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @High Stick King and @Maxy for the sigs!

Raptors Argonauts 
[Image: m59RPb7.png][Image: FcWmVTl.png]

Had he not decided to follow his old man's footsteps and pick up a pair of skates to hit the ice, Bastien would be hitting on a different kind of surface.

I mean look at his mug ( Current profile picture ) doesn't that charming smile hide a pair of hands that in this timeline would be perfect to put pucks in the net, but in another reality would be fists that are just begging to be applied against an opponent's jaw in rapid and brutal succession? Hockey is not an option in this alternate timeline but there are plenty of other sports for this young man to be a part of! Boxing and Mixed Martial Arts would be excellent for Bastien who enjoys a good battle! Perhaps, if we remain in the realm of sports using sticks of some kind cricket or baseball, even golf or la crosse would be disciplined he would excel at and be exciting to watch! One sport he would not play, in any reality, is Ringuette no one but The Watcher knows why and he swore to secrecy not to reveal the reason.

In some timelines, Bastien is not even playing any sports! He is an avid gamer, an ESports competitor with a specialty in real-time strategy games when he doesn't spend time showing his craft during hours-long Twitch streams.
In some other timelines, he is a professor, in others, he is a programmer, in others a soldier fighting some wars off-World with a version of Earth able to space travel. Colonial Marines they are called.

Nasty business.

Filip has always done a lot of sports in his life, and if he would'nt have such a passion for hockey, He would probably have try to be a pro baseball player. In his youth, every summer he played in little league. He was always bigger than the others kids, and had no problem to hit homerun. With time, he decided to concentrate full time on hockey,but if he had decide otherwise, he would probably be one of the best hitter of the major league, and also a decent fielder. In an alternate universe, Lund is a franchise player of the yankees, who won many championship, broke the most homerun record, and has a place in the hall of fame.

In an other universe, where sports dont exist, Filip would probably be a five stars michelin chef. His dad is a known chef in Norway, and with time, Filip learned to appreciate good food, and to cook it too. So in this universe, he followed in his dad footstep, and with some time and training he became a well known chef, and operate a lot of restaurant in others country. At the peek of his career, he became host of a tv show, to choose the head chef of his next franchise. He judge them on their cooking skill, and also make them do some challenge, but the best part of the show is when he can yell at them because the food is raw, or they can cook properly a damn scallops!

255 words

Without pursuing a career in hockey, my player would have dedicated his life to the field of medicine, engaging in groundbreaking medical research.  In particular, the research would center on endocrinology and diabetes care and the development of a cure for the chronic illness.  Although many strides have been made over the past decades in regard to medical understanding of the disease and in the realm of technology and treatments, very little progress has been made toward finding a cure.  It is not that scientists aren't trying to find the solution, it is just very, very difficult to find a cure that involves regenerating cells that have been destroyed.  In type 1 diabetes, diabetics face a situation in which the beta cells of their pancreas have been destroyed by their own immune system.  Because these cells have been destroyed and do not have the regenerative capabilities of other cells, this condition is irreversible.  Current treatments involve the administration of insulin, an essential protein synthesized by the cells of the pancreas.  Specifically, the beta cells are the particular cells that synthesize this protein, making it crucial that they are functioning properly.  Insulin is essential for glucose to enter a cell, providing it with the nutrients to perform basic metabolic functions.  Without insulin, survival is impossible for type 1 diabetics.  In my research as a physician, I would aim to discover cutting edge technology focused on regenerating the pancreatic beta cells.  I would largely try to genetically modify a sample of the individual's own cells in order to activate the production of insulin and reinsert the cells with the new genetic code.  This would require a lot of time, effort, testing, and development, but a cure would improve the lives of so many individuals.

292 words

[Image: lutz-first-sig-shl.png]

Should John Brown not be pursuing a career within hockey, he would most likely be some sort of congregational preacher giving many sermons about the dangers and destructive practices of modern American slavery, most commonly seen in the form of forced labor as a result of a prison sentence. The United Nations cites the International Labour Organisation and firmly believes that over more than 40 million people across the globe face the harsh reality of existing in slavery, right now in the modern day. Slavery itself is a disgusting, abhorrent, and inexcusable, it deserves solely to be eradicated. John Brown himself believed that only strong measures would result in the justified destruction of slavery, once saying "I John Brown am now quite certain that the crimes of this guilty land will never be purged away, but with Blood. I had vainly flattered myself that without very much bloodshed, it might be done." Unfortunately, such a thing was proven just a few short years after its utterance. John Brown firmly believed in the abolition of slavery, and would have been happy to see its destruction at the hands of the Emancipation Proclamation as well as the 13th Amendment, but I do personally believe that the 13th Amendment did not go far enough. Instead, slavery as a whole should have been totally and utterly destroyed, and not been enabled through the ability of its existence as a punishment for a crime. Such a thing was a terrible decision, and enabled in 2018 on average about 403,000 people to live in the conditions of modern slavery in America. Those numbers can only have gotten worse, and it is up to us as a free people to abolish slavery in all its disgusting forms, regardless of the force necessary.

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

If my player had not pursued a career in hockey my player would be a physical therapist. My player has always been interested in the medical, anatomy, and science fields growing up and I think he would go on to be a physical therapist. He also likes helping people so being able to rehab people back to health would be important to him as well. As a physical therapist my player would specialize in orthopedics which involves treating bone, muscle and joint injuries. Being an orthopedic physical therapist would also allow my player to be connected with sports still by helping athletes heal and be able to get back to their own sports as quickly as possible which would be very gratifying to my player. Even if my player was unable to follow his dreams and play sports for a career he would like to help people get back to their dreams of playing professional sports. In the long run of being a physical therapist my player would have liked to open their own practice and become their own boss with their own schedules being able to treat whatever patients he would want. Having his own business he would be able to be contracted with professional sports teams to treat their players. Being able to witness and assist a person in their recovery and watch them get stronger and reach their goals is both satisfying to the patient because they get better and also satisfying to my player as a physical therapist because they know they helped their patient accomplish what they wanted to be able to do again. After retiring from physical therapy practice my player would go on to teach and spread his knowledge of the physical therapy field to up and coming physical therapists.

If my player was not currently in hockey he would likely be in college.  While he would be in college he would still be in close proximity to the world of sports and hockey in particular.  He would likely be taking a sports journalism major to learn how to effectively report and communicate ideas in a concise manner.  While being at the top of sports journalism like Pierre LeBrun or Elliotte Friedman is highly unlikely due to a large part of the job being connections and networking for sources, that does not mean he would be stuck with a useless degree.  He could use the information from college to make higher quality content as an independent journalist/freelancer similar to JFresh and Shannon Skanes (That Hockey Guy.)  Regardless of how successful he would be as a freelancer he would enjoy doing so as he enjoys reporting and conversing about sports in a professional and informative way.  He would hope to be giving unique insight about sports that a reader could not find somewhere else.
Even if Meagher doesn't get into sports journalism in particular, a communications degree will be helpful in other careers as it is a flexible field and the skills that are taught are necessary in a large amount of other careers.  He could help as an advisor for a company's advertising and marketing departments as communications deals with that.  He could also help in internal communications between employs, such as disseminating information inside a company, creating company announcements and memos, etc...