Create Account

Erik's S67 1st Round Draft Grades (2x Draft Media)
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2022, 08:42 PM by Keygan. Edited 6 times in total.)

Erik’s S67 Draft Grades!

Hey everyone, welcome to my very first, first round draft grade! My rankings are completely TPE based and I will make my own interpretations of what each GM was trying to achieve in this round. I know that some prospects got their SHL Personal Coaching before others based on how teams assigned them so TPE is a bit of a wash but I will still rank it based on TPE for now. Remember that this is ONLY the first round, and some teams that have low first round grades made up for it later in the draft. Let’s start off with the S tier.

S Tier: 

Monarchs Minnesota Monarchs: Having four first round picks will give any team a good grade post draft, and I think they drafted very well for the position they were in. With the first overall pick they selected Evok (Nevek Kove) and while Nevek wasn’t first overall in tpe, Evok is an established community member who Minnesota knows will give 110%. Sean Davies is one of the  top TPE earners  of the class and getting him outside the top 10 is an absolute steal. Brennan Kennedy is a solid winger but a bit on the low end on TPE, my biggest question mark of this first round by Minnesota, and Alexi Piastri is an active user who put up the best season analytically out of any rookie, which he won’t let you forget! On a serious note this draft sets up a very solid core who will all join Minnesota in the same time frame, and I think they have a good shot at panning out.

Forge Philadelphia Forge: Only 1 pick in the first round, but come on, getting the top defenseman in the draft by TPE at 8th overall? That’s a steal and a half. Two defensemen went over Flusso, which to the TPE nerd like me, doesn’t make a ton of sense to me. This is S tier and later in the list I’m going to bring up how only 1 player makes it almost impossible to make a team S grade, but because Philadelphia got an arguable first overall pick at 8, I’m giving it to them.

Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda: They just made it onto S tier because of their first two draft picks of the round, Bohdan Jarovsky and Bruno Tooyo, who at the time of writing this are 10th and 11th in TPE for the class. I think automatically they drafted above their draft slot, and while Connor McKeil is only 25th in his class in TPE, obviously Tampa saw something in him that quantifies more than TPE. They are S Tier because of draft slot value, and more draft picks give them more a shot for someone to pan out and become a star. 

A Tier:  

Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard: This is as cut and dry as it gets, they only had 1 pick in the first round, but it was 2nd overall, and they picked the 2nd highest TPE player in the draft, Jack St. Clair, who is looking like a future franchise player, a 1C of the future if you will. They didn’t get fancy with their pick and I like it a lot.

Panthers Los Angeles Panthers:  They gave up a lot of draft capital, but at the 4th overall pick they got recent goalie convert Adam Prpich (Rich), who now was the top TPE Center of the draft. This is an easy writeup because how can you knock this trade in terms of value? Rich will be their 1C of the future for sure.

WRITER BIAS Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks: Hamilton picked me at 5th overall,which obviously was an S Tier move, so why did I put them in A tier? If I couldn’t justify putting Edmonton in S tier because of the lack of draft capital, Hamilton gets the same knock, I was their only first rounder. In all seriousness I was tied for 4th in TPE and they picked 5th, so they got appropriate draft slot value. I REALLY like this pick.

Wolfpack New England Wolfpack:  A true beneficiary of the early SHL coaching, Sean Davies and Jacques Hammer are BOTH top 5 in the draft in TPE, the only reason they aren’t in S tier is because their TPE is a bit skewed because of it, Sean Davies less so, he’s constantly been top 10 the whole season so I don’t expect that to change, these guys will be a solid pair of wingers for New England, they may have lost out on Rich, but they gained a ton of future draft capital and this draft could move up to S in the future because of it.

Dragons Calgary Dragons: I swear this is my last A tier ranking. Getting Axel Kirby at 7 almost justifies an S tier but like I established in previous rankings, I want to see more than 1 great pick for a draft to truly be S tier. He’s been top 5 all season and taking his previous player into account, I’m surprised he fell to 7.

B Tier: 

Platoon Baltimore Platoon: Because I was basing a lot of this draft ranking on TPE,  I’m not going to favor intangibles as high as Baltimore did with their 3rd overall pick. Daniel Swift (Jumpseat) is a new member of the community who is a shining star on the forums and probably future captain material of this team. Isaac Forty One is a top 20 TPE Defenseman on a great Colorado team, so why are they B tier? TPE, which this early on isn’t the best indicator of future success, is why I’m ranking them B. Daniel Swift was not a top 10 TPE player heading into the draft, and he wowed Baltimore into picking him 3 because of the intangibles, which based on my conversations with Baltimore’s GM, was very important to him. If Swift turns the locker room culture around, look at my B draft grade and laugh at it. 

Aurora Winnipeg Aurora:  Paul Peterson rocks dude, like 72 points in 66 games as a rookie? Rookie of the Year for sure? SMJHL Champion, getting this guy top 10 is a steal by any metric. Any metric but TPE. Punished by some early SHL coaching and being the only pick of the first round, I had to put SOME teams in the B tier right? Right now he is 22nd in tpe, which doesn’t fit his draft slot. I assume he will jump up by next week and I’ll look like an idiot, but at the time of writing this he also doesn’t fit his draft slot. He seriously had an amazing season and maybe his player’s build is something people should be looking at for any future rookie season.

C Tier: 

Renegades Texas Renegades: Hodor, hodor hodor, hodor? Hodor. A big hitting punishing defenseman, who went 6th overall. This pick is a little questionable because I’m looking at this man’s build and let me tell ya, he’s gonna hit everyone and everything, but is that worth 6th overall? He was punished by the SHL Coaching being delayed for some teams, and he is currently 20th in TPE. Pawter Meowski is a great draft pick by slot and value, and I don’t want to come at anyone here, just someone’s gotta be in C tier and Hodor puts Texas there, if his build balances out as he grows as a player, I will have no problems eating my words.

D Tier: 

Inferno Atlanta Inferno: They already had an uphill battle picking at 20, and I feel like I shouldn’t knock them too much for picking for comfort instead of TPE, but since like 90 percent of my rankings are going by TPE, they have to get my lowest grade. Potential Spam is 36th in TPE for the draft class, and several top 20 players were still there on my board. They only had one first rounder and while I have no clue if this was a miss or not, it’s my lowest rank just based on the numbers.

Conclusion: So those are my draft grades, with as much writer bias as I could put in there. Remember that TPE this early on means very little, as well as the weird timing of the SHL Personal Coaching that causes the list to get all wonky for the week. There are no F tier drafts because I truly believe that every team’s draft could work for them, I just ranked them by TPE and how much I liked the pick, but I’m not an SHL GM, and these guys certainly know more than me. If I ranked you high, you can thank me as much as you want, and if I ranked you low, remember someone had to be low and the TPE is on my side. Don’t flame too hard. Also any team that is not listed did not have a first round pick so I did not grade their draft, because it was non applicable.  Stars syndicate pride Rage Argonauts Specters Patriotes Stampede
[Image: mh5Ql5t.png]

[Image: HjWsKHU.png]
Signature by @enigmatic

[Image: ohmEd0h.png] [Image: apAE8qn.png]

Stars

[Image: Wally.png]

Nice read tho!

Only problem is that we didn't draft Davies.. Tongue

Awesome work though!

[Image: Piastri2.png?ex=65ba64d4&is=65a7efd4&hm=...462889f09&]
[Image: or8VMxO.gif]

09-06-2022, 08:20 PMvbottas17 Wrote: Only problem is that we didn't draft Davies..  Tongue

Awesome work though!

I know the person who did

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

09-06-2022, 08:21 PMluke Wrote:
09-06-2022, 08:20 PMvbottas17 Wrote: Only problem is that we didn't draft Davies..  Tongue

Awesome work though!

I know the person who did

im on the edge of my seat who is it Luke

Signature by @enigmatic

I know it's probably writing for narrative sakes, but Hodor will be an absolute gem in Texas. Believe that.

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

underrated

[Image: andyj18.gif]

[Image: andybj18.gif]

[Image: pawter_meowski.png]

09-06-2022, 06:53 PMWally Wrote: Stars

I give us an A+ personally

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

09-07-2022, 10:31 PMnotorioustig Wrote:
09-06-2022, 06:53 PMWally Wrote: Stars

I give us an A+ personally

A for Avoiding moving pages
+ for being Amazing

So, essentially we got an AA+.

Best draft ever.

09-07-2022, 09:55 AMHabsFanFromOntario Wrote: I know it's probably writing for narrative sakes, but Hodor will be an absolute gem in Texas. Believe that.

We hope so! He seems to be underrated. If we did not pick him at 6th, no way he was dropping outside of the top 10 even if he was 20th in TPE.

[Image: SyiOY8U.png]
[Image: un22.png] [Image: 5tu6.png]

09-07-2022, 09:55 AMHabsFanFromOntario Wrote: I know it's probably writing for narrative sakes, but Hodor will be an absolute gem in Texas. Believe that.

He's an established SHL personality and someone had to be a C, I'm guessing once he gets more TPE his bruiser build will become more well rounded for sure. Like I said at the very end of the write-up, I can see how every single draft could be S tier, it's just not a good grading system if everyone is an A or higher.

Signature by @enigmatic

Can I get a grader in the chat

Signature by @enigmatic