Create Account

Queen Elizabeth II has passed away at the age of 96

09-08-2022, 04:08 PMjumpSeat Wrote: Irregardless of anyone's views on modern monarchies or politics or what have you, let's not forget a life has ended here, and I do think that should take precedence over all the peripheral stuff. I mean, I'm no great fan of 'royal families' either, but I do know they still mean something to a lot of older folks in particular, so I try to acknowledge that reality and respect their feelings.

Elizabeth was a very public figure throughout her life, some would even say iconic. And it truly is the end of an era in the sense that she was the only British monarch any of us have ever known in our lifetimes.

Any debate about whether this might be a good time to abolish the monarchy should be saved for another day. Today is a day to remember and be grateful for a life that included spreading a lot of good will (especially to children) throughout the world.

To use a sports metaphor, we'll likely never see her kind again, as her record for longest reigning British monarch in history will undoubtedly go untouched for the foreseeable future, and who knows, maybe for all time.

In closing, positive thoughts, prayers and condolences to those who truly loved her, and to all those who's lives she touched. Today we reach out to share her loss with you, and we sincerely hope Elizabeth awakes in a much better place! Heart

Counter point, it's rad when old racist oppressors die and the real tragedy here is she lived into old age

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

09-08-2022, 06:14 PMPremierBromanov Wrote: Counter point, it's rad when old racist oppressors die and the real tragedy here is she lived into old age

It's interesting you bring up the idea of counter points, as normally I'm very interested in looking at both sides. In this case however I wonder what's to be gained? I'm in no position to judge whether charges like this are true or not, and frankly I suspect I'd never be able to "prove" it one way or the other.  So the question of whether she was a hero or a villain of history seems rather moot.

That said, you certainly are entitled to your opinion. I just hope it's well informed.

A proud member of the Season 67 [Image: 4star.png] Four Star Cup champion Maine Timber!!  Timber

[Image: swift.png]

Maine Timber Alternate Captain!  Timber

Thanks to @Merica for the sig!

- - - - - - -

[Image: popcorn.gif] If you Heart hockey  Fan Fiction, (FHM style): Click Here!

09-08-2022, 11:12 PMjumpSeat Wrote:
09-08-2022, 06:14 PMPremierBromanov Wrote: Counter point, it's rad when old racist oppressors die and the real tragedy here is she lived into old age

It's interesting you bring up the idea of counter points, as normally I'm very interested in looking at both sides. In this case however I wonder what's to be gained? I'm in no position to judge whether charges like this are true or not, and frankly I suspect I'd never be able to "prove" it one way or the other.  So the question of whether she was a hero or a villain of history seems rather moot.

That said, you certainly are entitled to your opinion. I just hope it's well informed.

It is, don't worry

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG

This is si sad, Alexa play Despacito

Finland Update Page  Interview  Player Page  Wolfpack

[Image: Snussu.gif]

Thanks to everyone made sigs to me!!!! (Gif made by myself)

Henry Kissinger claims another soul to continue his eternal life

09-08-2022, 03:09 PMsve7en Wrote: @Mutedfaith your branding is offensive, please rebrand
Minnesota Presidents coming in.

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

09-09-2022, 12:35 AMAtox Wrote: Henry Kissinger claims another soul to continue his eternal life

KISSINGER NEXT

[Image: MvfRxO2.png]
sigs by me bitch

Can't believe they cancelled the football this weekend because an old bint shuffled off the mortal coil.

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]

Well she had a long reign and a good life, but everything most come to an end.

I don't know for how long we gonna say "Long live the King", but not a long as the Queen.

[Image: SyiOY8U.png]
[Image: un22.png] [Image: 5tu6.png]

The memes have been great ngl

[Image: zcOwSzN.png] [Image: b1AwZLU.png]
First ever Yukon Malamute draft pick (1st overall S65)

[Image: ezgif-3-597e9990a5.png]

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2022, 11:49 AM by Grapehead.)

09-08-2022, 11:12 PMjumpSeat Wrote:

If you're unfamiliar with the crimes of the british monarchy, perhaps you should just keep quiet and not expect others to hold their tongue just cause some old bag kicked it.

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

09-09-2022, 11:49 AMGrapehead Wrote: If you're unfamiliar with the crimes of the british monarchy, perhaps you should just keep quiet and not expect others to hold their tongue just cause some old bag kicked it.

I suppose I'm unfamiliar with your version of what constitutes 'proof of alleged personal crimes', but that's fair. After all I'm not psychic.  Tongue

A proud member of the Season 67 [Image: 4star.png] Four Star Cup champion Maine Timber!!  Timber

- - - - - - -

09-09-2022, 07:12 PMjumpSeat Wrote:
09-09-2022, 11:49 AMGrapehead Wrote: If you're unfamiliar with the crimes of the british monarchy, perhaps you should just keep quiet and not expect others to hold their tongue just cause some old bag kicked it.

I suppose I'm unfamiliar with your version of what constitutes 'proof of alleged personal crimes', but that's fair. After all I'm not psychic.  Tongue

I'm just saying there are tons of people with perfectly valid reasons to celebrate her death. Personally I'm not one of those people, but I recognize the evil that this monarchy in particular represents to several regions of the world.

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

09-09-2022, 07:56 PMGrapehead Wrote: I'm just saying there are tons of people with perfectly valid reasons to celebrate her death. Personally I'm not one of those people, but I recognize the evil that this monarchy in particular represents to several regions of the world.

Okay, that's fair. I think we can find middle ground on this. I'm glad to hear you're not one of those people who celebrate her death, and yes you're absolutely correct that what she represented is viewed very differently in other cultures. Personally, I don't believe in monarchy, so I'm not trying to say monarchy is good.

I guess what I'm saying is that while it's true the British Monarchy has a very tainted past, particularly with the way it treated certain indigenous peoples, (even to the point of destroying their language and culture - some would even charge genocide), I don't think you can lay all of that at her feet personally. Much of the oppression occurred prior to her reign. Plus I'm not familiar with any documented cases where she personally traveled overseas and committed acts of oppression.

Does that absolve her completely? No. As this may well be a case of guilt by association in the sense that she continued to uphold an institution that had a terrible track record of oppression in the past.

And I just want to point out that my own heritage is from a group of people who suffered greatly under British occupation and rule. Not as great as some mind you, but enough that much of our language and culture was lost. So I am somewhat familiar with that which I speak of.

(Not that it's particularly relevant, but I have studied my own family history and was surprised to learn my ancestors were once great landowners and akin to princes in the old country, until the British 'stole' the land and gave the title to those more sympathetic to the crown).

The point being, I don't hold any personal malice toward Elizabeth for our loss of station, and even though our family has been in decline ever since, I can't find it in me to hate her personally for something that happened hundreds of years before she was born. I'm not saying that makes me right or wrong. It's just the way I see it. Just like bad people, bad institutions can occasionally reform and I have a hard time condemning anyone for the way they used to be.

"Oh, you were a drunk and an alcoholic? Well you'll never be any good. You're worthless!" Sorry, but it's just not me.

- - - - - - -

09-09-2022, 08:41 PMjumpSeat Wrote:
09-09-2022, 07:56 PMGrapehead Wrote: I'm just saying there are tons of people with perfectly valid reasons to celebrate her death. Personally I'm not one of those people, but I recognize the evil that this monarchy in particular represents to several regions of the world.

I guess what I'm saying is that while it's true the British Monarchy has a very tainted past, particularly with the way it treated certain indigenous peoples, (even to the point of destroying their language and culture - some would even charge genocide), I don't think you can lay all of that at her feet personally.

Can you remind me who was queen of England for the last 70 years, i forget

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG