Create Account

S67 SMJHL PT #2 - Season Preview

Junior Hockey World's Ray Garrity here to bring you a season preview for the  Knights Kelowna Knights for SMJHL season 67.  Kelowna had a bit of a... rough season in s66, solidifying themselves as by far the least successful team in the league at only 36 points (27.3% point percentage).  I spoke with GMs Artermis and Hammer about what they're doing to shake things up this season, and they identified a handful of places the team is looking to improve.

First and foremost, the team needs to start performing better on the road.  While the Knights managed 42% PP in Kelowna last year, their 3 wins in opposing barns completely shattered any momentum they could get at home.  The road to fixing this issue starts with the team leadership.  Captain Jacques Hammer and new alternate captains Sjøforsvaret and Pepega Paquette hope to bring about change in the locker room and change the mindset of playing on foreign ice.

The GMs began to address the second issue at the draft: several picks including 3rd overall went to ensuring pucks stay out of the net.  Rookie defenseman Pete Aleman, as well as rookie goalies Sjøforsvaret and Sea Jebus are going to be key in bringing down the team's GA, which was a league-worst 276 in s66.  Both Artermis and Hammer seem to have the highest faith in all three players, and are certain the defensive end of the ice will look miles better than it did last season.

For many fans in Kelowna, and throughout the world, these changes bring about a new era of hope that real change could be around the corner and the team can return to its former glory.

St. Louis is looking to put together a championship run in the final Junior season for several of their star players. Looking to add that last missing piece to their roster, the Scarecrows pulled the trigger on an aggressive offseason trade, acquiring LW Matsmith Soderberg-Tremblay, who will slot up alongside mainstays Ben Waters Jr. and Dan Baltisberger on the top line. That trio could easily be the top line in the league and will be expected to do some heavy lifting if St. Louis is to make a championship run. On the blueline, the Crows are particularly strong down the left side with a pair of (unrelated?) Koivus, Tommi and Wide Peepo Happy 3, anchoring that position. Yet some will say a team will only go as far as their goaltending can take them, so perhaps most important is third-year goalie Anthony Dionne, who despite an up-and-down preseason, is expected to be one of the top netminders this year. Finally, St. Louis looks to have several younger players who can step up and provide depth scoring, including second-year winger Diablo Rose who will be looking to build upon his 37 point rookie campaign. All in all, St. Louis has the pieces to put together a cup run and should be an exciting team to watch this season.

Citadelles  S68 - Jarrod Lakemore - C Stampede

The Newfoundland Berserkers  Berserkers are looking forward to a challenging season.  Expectations are high for some of the new blood acquired during the draft as well as those acquired via trade.  Lester Oiduser and Philip Fry are young bloods who are looking to make an early impression on the blueline this season.  Fry, who was acquired via sign and trade from Kelowna, expects to contribute right away however there are doubts from the fans that he was worth the price.  Oiduser, a 3rd round pick in this year's entry draft, is already showing promises of being a blue chip player.

The Zerkers will rely heavily on the top line of Kennedy, Faker and King for is offensive production.  The preseason showed that this team will be a bit light on the scoring side but it won't be because of the electrifying FAB line (Faust, Ashton, Brennan). They are sure to keep opposing defenses on their heels.

PBE Affiliate

[Image: sobchak.png]

Everyone knows the Carolina Kraken are in rebuild mode, but don't tell them they can't make big strides this year. They had three picks in the first two rounds, picking up three wingers with varied skillsets, and they look to keep adding in free agency. Scoring is spread throughout all three lines, with support from the defense, aiming to make sure their opponents have to play a full, hard 60 minutes. In the pre-season, the Kraken pushed three games to a SO and lost two others by a single goal, evidence of their never-say-die attitude. Captains Kettu, Yates, and Prpich are also spread up and down the lines, making sure veteran presence is always on hand to support the new boys. If this team gels as the season progresses, look for them to steal games and aim for a big step up the rankings. The future in Carolina is bright, but the growing pains aren't over just yet.

[Image: YpRQWIT.png]
Sig courtesy @sulovilen

[Image: SyiOY8U.png][Image: showthread.php?tid=126581%5D][Image: ywpNoYb.png]

The Maine Timber are looking to compete this season and are hoping to build around the aging core in order to make a final push for the grizzly vets. A lot of the focus on the team this year will be reliant on their core group of leaders, Emil Egli, Iam Downski and Daniel Swift. These 3 were chosen as leaders in the dressing room and look to help take Maine to a championship. Egli being the top pairing d man has to log some big minutes and play a key shutdown role. Downski and Swift will need to contribute offensively in order to help ease the pressure on the young talent that Maine was able to bring in. Perhaps the biggest stress of the team comes from the crease as it always does. With the departure of Rage and Sir Devior, There is a major need for both Moon and Bouchard to step in and step up to give this young team a chance to excel.

Code:

[Image: CaleSalad.gif]
[Image: kalesaladshl.gif]
some high fibre sigs are Powered by AllBran, 

I'm obviously going to be biased as heck here but the Detroit Falcons look like they are ready to put the simulation major junior hockey league on notice this season. They are bring back a core of great players, which include but are not limited too: Center C Jobin, left wing Bohdan Jarovsky, right wing Jojo Larkin and Center Bnana Nwaffles. That is on top of bringing in a very strong rookies from the past draft which should really solidify this team's depth, which again include but are not limited too: Right defenseman Nash Topalo (who is a hockey playing puppy and could kill you with cuteness alone), left defenseman Nathan Meagher and Center deemed Inappropriate. With all this influx of talent being added to an already talented roster, the sky is the absolute limit and do we dare star planning the 4 star cup parade already? Probably wouldn't go that far ahead as the hockey gods can be as unpredictable as Loki at times.

[Image: Qfss7w7.png]      [Image: 8yB62LM.png]
[Image: W19eaver.gif]

With the season just barely begun, the Great Falls Grizzlies have faltered a bit but the overall points don't tell the whole story. This looks to be the season of the rookies, with a handful of first-year players helping to lead the offense in players Loosh O'Sullivan ,Hai Nam Hoang and Chris Valentine combining for 8 of 19 goals. Despite the teams best efforts, they have a record of 2-4-0, but two of those losses have been decided by just one goal. One player who has been spectacular has been veteran goalie Alvin Towne, who despite his 2-3 record has stood on his head night-in and night-out, helping his team stay competitive. If the rookies on this team can keep up their stellar play through the rest of the season and Alvin can continue to show control of the blue paint, then all it will take is some of the other veterans of the team to show the skills that have kept them in the league over the years, and the Grizzlies will surely turn it around and have a dominant season.

Yukon will be one of the most interesting teams in the SMJHL this season, with a high ceiling and lots of interesting pieces on board. Yukon was 4th place in the standings last season with 92 points. This represented a good season for the team, but a loss in Round 1 in 7 games to Newfoundland was not enough for the team. Now, entering Season 67, Yukon is off to a good start with some key wins in the early season an indicator the Malamutes are still a force to be reckoned with this season. Up front, Oles Kobliska leads the team in TPE with Patches The III and will be the guy teams will have to key in on this season as he is this teams bona-fide star. On defense, Patches the III as mentioned is a big defender who also is going to be key to lock down opponents' high flying offenses. Finally, Anzelms Krastins leads the team goalie tandem and may be the most important piece of all. If he can hold down the net, Yukon will have a chance in every game they play!

ISFL PT affiliate

[Image: UtBNLUh.jpg]

I think this yeah we are trying our best to be a contender in Maine and realize that we could actually win a championship this year. I think that the main contributions are everyone doing there part in the lineup. I think everyone can contribute its how much and at what times. I think I believe that we can win everything this year and best believe we are coming for that championship some how some way. I want a taste of victory and hopefully it's with Maine at some point. I want to share it with my fellow teammates and get as much as I can from it. This is an experience and I'm not going to take it for granted. I want to win and this the team I'm going to do it with.

138 words

Quebec City Citadelles are prepping for a strong return for S67 after a successful S66. We are looking to make a run for the Cup this year with a young team growing together as well as leadership from our core players. As for who will be making the biggest impacts, our captains and assistant captain were chosen by the players not only for their skill on the ice but their invavulabe leadership off the ice. We start with Caleb Hayden who is only the 6th captain in QCC history and the second straight goalie. He is our rock in the crease and keeps our team focused on our year-long goals. Our main assistant captain is Sophie Bordeleau. Centering the top line, she is our current offensive leader in goals and assists and provides the leadership off the ice that inspires everyone else to work just as hard as her. Finally, we have two players sharing the final A on the jersey. Nevek Kove and Nikolai Skovgaard are veterans on the team and anchor our defensive corp. These two will be alternating the A, however they are inseparable on the ice beating up any opponent who enters our zone.

[Image: MMCPaEg.png]

[Image: kcP9WEd.png] [Image: DNLeeu0.png][Image: eP8F2Ne.png]

PBE

[Image: BrettBroadway.gif]
[Image: Hunter.png]

The coming season is likely to be a painful one for the Newfoundland Berserkers and their fans, who have become so accustomed to success. A team in the muck and mire of a rebuild, all the Berserkers really have to look forward to is the continued development of their young players who one day, they hope, might lead them back to the Four Star Cup.

Key to the Berserkers hopes this season and moving forward will be defenseman Rasmus Bergling. The sophomore blue-liner has quickly blossomed into one of the premier players in the league and provides much needed stability to a young Berserkers team.

Similarly, second-year winger Brennan Kennedy III will lead the charge on offence. Capable of converting all on his own, Kennedy has the potential to win the Berserkers a handful of games they would otherwise be expected to lose. While it will be a long season for the team, Kennedy at least offers fans the hope of seeing something exciting.

Lastly, newcomer Tummy Hurts could be a difference maker in goal for the Newfoundland side. Joining the team on waivers, Hurts is pushing to become the starting goalie as soon as this season, although he is currently behind veteran Samuel Piccard.

Something happened on the day he died. Spirit rose a metre and stepped aside.
Somebody else took his place, and bravely cried. I’m a blackstar, I’m a blackstar.

[Image: Wooly.gif]

a bottomless curse, a bottomless sea, source of all greatness, all things that be.

Did we get a pretty good look at preseason? My understanding is that we did not. Although, does it matter at the end of the day?
I firmly believe Maine is going to be literally riding the Gravy Train to success. By now a veteran, he has build up season after season of line chemistry and will be a force for other teams to deal with this season.
Emil Egli has carved out a spot as one of the top elite D in the league and will be running the show in Maine.
Mando Lorian holding down Center for the top line is going to have a huge influence on the ice from faceoffs to putting pucks in the net.
Finally probably our largest impact is in Goal. New addition Isabella Bouchard is looking to be a force this season backstopping this amazing team. Sophomore Moon is going to continue making strides, and recent addition Turnerson is going to start carving their legacy!

Code:
165 Words

[Image: krash.gif]

[Image: kLRJavo.png][Image: ZjgHcNL.png]

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]