Create Account

S67 PT #1: Media Mogul Due: September 25th @ 11:59 PM (PST)

Please pick ONE prompt to write about. Do not mix and match prompts. Identify the prompt you are using in your submission - Copying and pasting the prompt will deduct from your word count so if you do this make sure YOUR submission is 150+ words excluding the prompt.

HOCKEY PROMPT - Our season somewhat lines up with the start of non-simulated hockey seasons, and all the pre-season coverage I was reading got me thinking about hockey media. So I've got a question for you!

Written Task: Do you enjoy the kind of hockey media you see out in the world? If so, why? Who are some of your favourite writers? What are some of your favourite types of content? If you don't enjoy or engage with hockey media, why not? What kind of things are missing for you? If you could start your own hockey media empire, what would you like to do differently? (150+ words)

Graphic Task: Show me your player as the subject of the type of hockey content that you wish you could see.

PLAYER PROMPT- Ok, some people don't care about hockey media. Fair enough! Let's talk about your player again then, and their obligations to team media departments.

Written Task:  These days Twitter takeovers and appearing on Tik Tok just seems to be a part of the job when it comes to being a professional hockey player. So how does your player handle this? When it's their turn to show up on the team Youtube, are they excited for it? Are you the type to be coming up with fun ideas for content and goofing around with the social media team? Or maybe you go to increasingly insane lengths to not appear on camera? Is this a welcome part of the job, or just something you have to do? (150+ words)

Graphic Task: Show me your player doing a social media challenge with a teammate. 

You will receive 3 TPE for fulfilling all requirements.

All responses are due on Sunday, September 25th at 11:59 PST. NOTE: IF YOU SUBMIT/EDIT AFTER THE DEADLINE YOU WILL RECEIVE REDUCED/NO TPE.

Affiliate claims from either PBE or ISFL or WSLB or SSL are accepted; link directly to your post and note if your username is different there.
If you have any questions/concerns, please PM me. Tasks with malicious intent will not be graded. The graders reserve the right to determine malicious intent, after discussion with me. You will not be warned.

This task is for SHL players and send downs only, it is not for SMJHL rookies.

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=661a1734&is=6607a234&hm=b8...1bf5caed8&]

Naturally, our social media team has hopped onto TikTok and they've had a few players make appearances on it. I avoided it for the most part, instead taking the Twitter Q&As and follow alongs. I'm more comfortable on Twitter so I tend to stick to my lane.

This season, though, the team is trying something new. Our team has their own subreddit, /r/LAPanthers, and the social media team is going to have each player hold an AMA on there. Each week a new player will pop on and be able to answer questions from our biggest fans. I love interacting with our fans so I'm excited to see what kind of questions I'll get.

The social media team does a great job engaging with our fans and it's really translated to the atmosphere at the rink. We're getting younger fans invested in us and that's huge to keep the brand growing and growing. You have to stay current, without looking out of place, and things like the Reddit AMA and TikTok videos are really helping in that regard.

(179 words)

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 76
27-7-1
Regular Season - [G 4] [A 8] [Pts 12] [+/- +24] [PIM 20] [Hits 18] [SB 74]

[Image: ERs3IrD.png]

(This post was last modified: 09-19-2022, 12:23 AM by Valpix. Edited 1 time in total.)

Hockey Prompt

So, anyone that knows me - whether in Quebec City or Toronto or even Switzerland - knows that I am a complete and total hockey hipster. I've watched mayyyybe one NHL game since like 2014, but I watch copious amounts of college and international hockey (I couldn't tell you what happened in the NHL most of the season but I could give detailed play by play of a Serbia/Poland DIB Worlds game). So if I started my own hockey media empire, it would have to be about that. Maybe a YouTube channel called The Hockey Hipster or something. As for favorite writers, as a college hockey fan there is one man that is the gold standard and that is Brad Schlossman of the Grand Forks Herald. While he predominantly covers North Dakota Fighting Hawks hockey, he tends to have a pretty good pulse on the nationwide game in general. My alma mater was spoiled for decades with Ted Ryan doing the beat writing - a guy I saw fairly frequently at press conferences when I was working for the student paper. For international hockey, Steven Ellis of the Hockey News is one of the few good things that publication has going for them anymore, and has the same interest in weird lower level international hockey as me.

[Image: valpix.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @Symmetrik, @Merica, @enigmatic, and @sulovilen for the sigs! 
Avi courtesy of @MN_Moosey
[Image: d9J5DHT.png]
Citadelles Switzerland Stars Blizzard 
[Image: VGl3CB4.png]
[Image: valpixpride.gif]

PT Pass

[Image: jay2233.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @High Stick King and @Maxy for the sigs!

Raptors Argonauts 
[Image: m59RPb7.png][Image: FcWmVTl.png]

Code:
Written Task: Do you enjoy the kind of hockey media you see out in the world? If so, why? Who are some of your favourite writers? What are some of your favourite types of content? If you don't enjoy or engage with hockey media, why not? What kind of things are missing for you? If you could start your own hockey media empire, what would you like to do differently? (150+ words)

I never really used to be into hockey media (except watching highlights as a kid on Sportsnet or TSN where they would recap the Canadian teams). But as I got older and had more knowledge into the world of hockey, I started to consume more media and I will share some of my favourite kind and shows that I enjoy!

I would have to say that fantasy hockey media is something that I consume (especially since 2020). There was a podcast called "Fantasy Hockey Podcast" started by two guys who realized there wasn't really much consistent media or a show focused on fantasy hockey. They would release weekly episodes such as week previews, unsustainable Wednesdays, weekend previews, hot hands and bust watches. They would also give you pre-season content such as draft tips, mock draft videos where they participate in drafts themselves and during 2020 it was something to look forward each week! Sadly, their podcast stopped as they had bigger projects to focus on and there are more fantasy hockey shows out there now (such as Five hole fantasy hockey).

There's also a YouTube channel called "Fantasy Tipped" where the host Julien gives you his team overview, draft ratings, add/drop suggestions and more.

As a person who competes in fantasy hockey every season since high school, this type of hockey media would be my favourite to consume as it's fun to create and manage your own team throughout a hockey season! 

(243 words)

[Image: Jammin.gif]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]
[Image: zS2lCMp.png] [Image: ixmZA3M.png] [Image: pxjucze.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png] [Image: IhVx0wj.png]

Thank you @High Stick King @OrbitingDeath @Ragnar @Tesla for the player signatures! 

Answering for the player prompt:

Honestly, Vaseline Podcalzone, after this many seasons in North America, probably would not have too dry of a sense of humor. I mean, he's been playing in the SMJHL and SHL combined for like well over ten seasons now (a decade in sim league time, if you will). So, honestly, he would be pretty excited to have the opportunity to take part in some YouTube channel takeover, you know, that sort of thing.

The content might not be nearly as entertaining as some might hope. I mean, Podz kinda has that simple good life going on for him. His little condo right on top of the arena. His cozy kitchen filled with his coffee machine (or coffee machines, honestly), and a pretty decently packed pantry of food. Podz definitely would not be the type of guy to get takeout food.

Podz would probably have his breakfast and then just film a bunch at the rink, and then call it a day. I mean, he honestly doesn't have enough social media influencer energy to be too entertaining. He wouldn't be too boring, though.

WC: 185

[Image: beegbeegyoshi.gif]
[Image: B7bDIPG.png]
[Image: YOSHI.png?ex=65f214ee&is=65df9fee&hm=80f...e73badf86&]

With the rise of blogs and independent media, I think everyone can find something they like in the world of hockey media as long as they are ready to spend a certain number of times to dig through lesser-known outlets and find what is out there. On top of that, there are multiple ways to consume sports media like watching television, reading articles or listening to podcasts. It’s also fairly easy to access to all kinds of different hockey media. There is plenty of surface analysis, but coverage that goes quite in depth is also findable. Although, there is a massive difference in the amount of media coverage some team gets compared to the one who plays in big markets. On my side, I follow a couple of twitter accounts to quickly get the news and trade that happens. Other than that, my favourite medium to keep up with the league and my favourite team is podcasts. I listen to three of them regularly, one that covers the big news around the league, one that goes into in-depth analysis about players or team and a last one about my favourite team.

191 words

Nor Ge
Citadelles

Salzberger Lillehammersson
norway Inferno World Falcons

Anders Christiansen
[Image: inferno.png] [Image: dragons.png] [Image: wolfpack2.png] [Image: stars.png] [Image: Dxdffra.png] [Image: hGKuRrv.png] [Image: sAx3Llh.jpg] [Image: firebirds.png]

Quote:Written Task: Do you enjoy the kind of hockey media you see out in the world? If so, why? Who are some of your favourite writers? What are some of your favourite types of content? If you don't enjoy or engage with hockey media, why not? What kind of things are missing for you? If you could start your own hockey media empire, what would you like to do differently? (150+ words)

This is where "old man" HSK comes out. Journalism in general is dead and it began with the sports division. That is where the budget was first cut amongst all the major papers back in the 1990s. Then it was cut again when newspapers died. Then again when radio died. Then again when NHL teams became too powerful to cross so all the local media are "yes-men/women" to the teams management. There are a few decent journalists but they are rare in todays landscape. Most I find are just old talking heads who got lazy the moment they got the job and just repeat tired cliches and provide empty analysis. Kevin Bieksa is one of those rare guys who I feel like actually provides useful insight but we'll see how much effort he puts in after doing the job for 10+ years.

On the more journalistic side of the media, Rick Westhead has been doing a lot of good by exposing the shitheads and horrors hidden within the game. There is another reporter that has been doing that as well but can't recall their name right now.

At any rate, I like the writers who have clearly looked beyond the boxscore when evaluating a team and can also admit when they maybe don't know a team that well instead of just generalizing.

[ 227 words ]

[Image: yyo9APg.gif]

(This post was last modified: 09-19-2022, 01:25 AM by TheHammer43.)

PLAYER PROMPT

I love the camera, my whole life I've been a attention seeker, I'll do some pretty out of pocket things to get on camera, luckily for me it's not going to be hard and the whole job this week is to get some good footage for the YouTube and TikTok accounts. Today I'm going to keep it pretty simple, just try to show some of the moves mainly, try and get the fans kind of hyped up for the upcoming season, show off the "C" A little. Also going to shoot some muffins at the newbie tenders to give them some hype! Don't want the fans thinking they're swiss cheese. As far as I know we have all week to get footage for the accounts so I'll probably be messing around with some of the newbies on the team, might sweep the leg on a few of them, Lutzzy's got a good one come for him, going to give him the karate kid sweep when he's least expecting it. Sjoforsvaret's got a mean cup check coming his way this week! but thats later, time to go rip a few at the net and give the good people of Kelowna what they want!
[202 words]

[Image: hammer_time_sig.png]

[Image: gXlAFBa.png][Image: 8CbZQAJ.png][Image: IhVx0wj.png]

(This post was last modified: 09-19-2022, 02:02 AM by diacope.)

I honestly don't really know a whole lot about writers and such in general but when I was a kid I always checked the sports section in the newspaper and I'm always checking google for news articles daily too, I definitley read more than I watch at the end of the day. My favorites are obviously anything that's team related but new content and stats draws me in everytime more than others, especially records being broken or a big transaction. One thing I guess could be different is the amount of the same topic being posted at the same time, I like having variety whenever I look stuff up and if I were to ever own my own newspaper company I'd do just that, call it outside sports knowledge or OSK for short.. Not sure how many copiea I'd sell though but I'd jave fun wi th it Wink

Platoon RAIYA Platoon RABINOV Platoon

PT Pass

[Image: Caleb_H.gif]

Yeah, I like all media, y'know? Lately I haven't been that into anything, but when I was younger all I would do, if I wasn't playing Counter-Strike, was I'd be watching Counter-Strike matches, like pro matches.
I think watching all those games helped me alot to understand the game better and made me way smarter as a player. In my opinion the best pro scene was back in 2015 or so, the games felt like literally anyone could win it.
I can't really speak for the scene today as I don't watch any games what so ever, I just play now and then.
Other than CS, I like to also watch random smaller streamers and keep em some company, cause I know it can be super dulling to just sit there streaming with no one popping in.
I also watch Jon Bois and Secret Base videos now and then, they're super professional and it's insane that that kind of content is given for free.

[Image: 64377_v.gif]
Whalers Whalers Whalers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack
Finland / Germany  
Big thanks to Pythonic(first sig evah), Sloth(first LAP sig<3) and Ragnar for their sigs<3
Two time playoffs MVP and two time nominee
Triple gold club
Discord: asska

Player Prompt

Viktor Krunk does not like social media. He thinks that TikTok is just a place for videos of shirtless dudes (he has no idea that the algorithm was just working from his search history) and that Twitter is a place for bots from troll farms to sow political unrest. He is right about the last one, at least.

When the team's social media manager comes round and shoves a camera in his face, he will do anything to make sure that clip is unusable for team purposes. So far, he has:

Yelled every English profanity he knows into the lens
Slapped the camera out of the poor girl's hand
Dropped his pants, saying "locker room"
Immediately pulled on a Jason mask and produced a bloody axe

It was agreed in his latest contract that Krunk would no longer be target for social media spots, as the team got sick of settling sexual harassment/destruction of property lawsuits and hiring new social media managers.

[Image: crunksig2.png]

PBE Affiliate

I really dont enjoy the hockey media the world is giving to us. What I have witnessed in the football side of things is that many leagues are relevant and therefore they have more and more news to give out where as the hockey news are mostly related to either NHL, KHL or IIHF. This is one of the main reasons I dont follow hockey media at all - cause I dont simply find anything new information given to me if I will be watching most of the games wherever theyre broadcasted. Thats also one of the reasons why I dislike the hockey media, they tend to play around the same situation over and over again to get more clicks and views. In the end, thats all they are after. If I would ever to create a hockey based media empire by myself, I would do anything to avoid those values and focus on the subject, which is hockey. No bullshit, just explicit content

[Image: jE4ioeC.png][Image: meOh9pz.png]