Create Account

S67 PT #1: Media Mogul Due: September 25th @ 11:59 PM (PST)

Player Prompt:
Collin Gibbles has never been a huge fan of putting his life out in front of the public. Sure there are many facets of his life he does share, but he is careful about what the public is allowed to see. Obviously he couldn't hide his relationship and eventual marriage to Anna Kendrick when he lived in Anaheim playing in the SMJHL. But he has been sure to make his homes in Anaheim and Minnesota private and away from prying eyes. Along with this, Gibbles has been sure to make sure his children don't have to suffer from being constantly in the media either. This is slowly changing as his son Gordon William Gibbles is making a name as an upcoming talent in the hockey world. Gibbles even helped fund a secret tunnel entrance and exit to the arena for players and staff so that they could avoid the media when they didn't want to engage.

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]

Sconnie McHits does not shy away from the limelight, instead embracing the opportunities he gets to showcase both his comedic and intelligent sides through the media. He's not afraid to talk politics, telling those who tell him he should "stick to sports" where they can shove it. McHits believes in human rights; the rights of all people to be who they want to be, love who they want to love, and believe what they want to believe. On the comedic side, Sconnie, who starred in a play in high school, loves the chance to goof around on camera. He is often seen on the team's YouTube channel joking around with Dwayne Gretzky, Roddy B, Shylo, and others. The team's roast battles have become the talk of the SHL, with other teams doing their best to bring the viral sensation to their own clubs. The key behind all of this is that the team doesn't take the media too seriously, which helps create the image they want to portray, that these are just regular folks who also happen to play hockey!

[Image: CnPenxE.png]

I have been a hockey fan for as long as I can remember. It was the first sport I discovered when I was a little kid. Growing up in Pittsburgh in the late 80s/early 90s, it’s no surprise. It was the start of the golden years for the Penguins and hockey was king. I remember some local media related to the Penguins, but my brother and I would have ESPN on the TV 24/7. Because of that, the ESPN anchors I saw during NHL coverage on ESPN and segments on Sports Center are the ones I remember most and are most nostalgic for me. Plus, the NHL on ESPN tune is greatness.

Nowadays, it’s not the same. Most of the popular anchors and sports figures that you see on Sports Center-like shows and hear on the radio treat hockey and the NHL like it’s a joke. It’s sad and honestly makes me angry. It doesn’t do the great sport of hockey the justice it deserves.

That said, it’s great that there are so many different ways to consume sports media today. It will never be the same to me though.

[192 words]

[Image: the5urrealshl.gif]

[Image: 9TttCL9.png][Image: n25g4JC.png][Image: P0OHsLJ.png][Image: DS1jqys.png][Image: M98Qi4H.png]
[img=0x0]https://imgur.com/KOKeZZJ.png[/img]

ISFL affiliate

[Image: 75fL0ul.png]
credit to Qwest

HOCKEY PROMPT

I really enjoy sports analytics and there are a handful of writers who I support directly making interesting models and visualizations.  There is a lot of randomness and luck going on, so the outputs aren't sacred, but the scientific approach to discussing players and the game adds another layer for me.  It provides a snapshot of a team and how they are playing to or defying expectations.  When following a team that is building up, it shows some underlying positives to take away from the losses and what to look forward to in the draft.

I really like playing all fantasy sports and analytics helps me make decisions on my teams (mixed with the emotional gut feel and homerism), especially for categories.  If some writer earns my trust through their regular analytics work, usually I will trust their projections and recommendations for fantasy.  When I am chasing down specific stats, I pop open recent games on Hockey Viz to track all kinds of matchups and deployments.

If I were to start up a media empire, I would probably follow this interest of mine.  I would put the scientists first so they have the resources to do their best without fear of getting cut for traditional media.  I would lean into fantasy and betting to draw in an audience with practical tools on top of the regular articles.

[Image: scrufdaddy2.gif]
credit to Flappy, ToeDragon, and Carpy

Patriotes Stars Panthers Platoon Specters Platoon Panthers Specters Aurora Jets Usa Scarecrows

[Image: Tqabyfh.png][Image: UDyqktK.png][Image: 1DL5JDX.png]

PBE PT

[Image: image0.gif]
[Image: psdforbrookssiganimatedwhitetext.gif]

I, Lord Raiden, am not a big social media player. I have never really posted or used it much to interact or communicate with people. But that does not stop me from having to do the takeover of the teams social medias. I might not really want to do it but I have to do it so I might as well enjoy it and have some fun. I do not keep up with the daily trends or the newest challenges, so I usually stick to a day with Raiden type of social media. I always like to give a look into what goes into my daily routines. What meals I eat, what workouts I do, and I do with my free time. Throughout the day, I love to get other players with some good pranks and I love to tell jokes. So those will be sporadically dropped throughout the day. I try to do my best and offer something that is a little different but fun for everyone. 
-168 words

[Image: jumbobone19.gif]
[Image: 9tINabI.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: xc2IPJy.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: wW0VNnL.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM @sköldpaddor @Merica for the Sigs

Alexi Piastri has been featured in the mediabquite a bit since coming over to North America, sometimes for hockey reasons, sometimes not so much.

There were a number of articles following Piastri's arrival in North America. He was seen as an intriguing prospect being that there's not that many players that come over from Australia. Piastri had a great rookie season. One of my favorite articles detailed player efficiency, it was great to see Piastri deemed the best rookie in the SMJHL based on efficiency.

Cameras were set up with Piastri for SHL draft night, Piastri ended up slipping to the 19th pick which made for some quality drama.

Since winning the 4 Star Cup, Piastris name has come up in some questionable circumstances.. Alexi allegedly lost the cup in Mexico while celebrating the teams victory.. not the greatest press. Additionally, it's suspected that Piastri was inviting all kinds of people into the Nevada locker room, including rival player & management personnel.

Hopefully media articles about Piastri in the future will be focusing on his impact on the ice.

[Image: Piastri2.png?ex=65ba64d4&is=65a7efd4&hm=...462889f09&]
[Image: or8VMxO.gif]

Hockey Prompt

My favorite hockey writers are the good old crew of the SHN, The Simulation Hockey Network. Inspired by the mid level media put out by most cable TV stations in the real world, the Simulation Hockey Network was made to emulate the hot takes and spicy rumors ebb and flow with the whims of beat writers. Our takes were spicy, we awarded meaningless accolades, and swayed public opinion with graphs, articles, podcasts, and behind the scenes looks at different teams and departments. It thrived during the COVID pandemic when a lot of the writers were new to the site, lacked job income, and had the free time to really put work into it, but as the crew needed less money the amount of content began to dry up. While I expect it to return in some capacity at some point, the age old adage of "too much of a good thing" held true and we are on a pretty deep hiatus right now.

163 words

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]

PBE Affiliate

[Image: ProjectSaint.gif]
Sig Credit: Flappy (EVO) and Skolpaddor (RESO)

EMEKA VALENTINE-OKOLI/PLAYER

First SMJHL Goal: Colorado Raptors, Emeka Valentine-Okoli 1 (Mikelis Ozoliņš 4, Loki Odinsson 3) at 3:12, 2nd Period (GWG) / SMJHL S47 Game 47 Day 12: Colorado Raptors vs Detroit Falcons
First SHL Goal: Texas Renegades, Emeka Valentine-Okoli 1 (Josef Kubinec 5, Ricky Spanish 4) at 16:23, 2nd Period / SHL S51 Game 71 Day 16: Edmonton Blizzard vs Texas Renegades

Eternal RaptorsRaptors Old, onwards we roll Rage

And Let's Retire at the Pinnacle

Ralph isn't super happy about having to appear on social media etc. He is not one to show off or do goofy stunts on purpose. They best moment you see of him on the teams channels are candid and he usually doesn't know he's being filmed or was told it was just an interview for a tv segment or something. One notable instance, he was told to come to the locker room to film some promo while he was in there waiting, some weird stuff start happening like hockey sticks falling over on their own. It was a little strange and all of sudden the big stuffed Regina elk plushie sprung to life and scared the crap out of him. turns out it was his teammate and good friend M'baku playing a prank on him. It was also part of a video shown during an intermission and posted on youtube and other sites. It was an incredibly popular post with the same prank being played on other team members as well.

[Image: BtI4G9Q.png]

Prompt 1

Thankfully there seems to be a wild variety of hockey media available out there for just about any consumption avenue you could ask for. I do remember years ago when there was really only three main avenues. Either you looked at your local paper's sports' section, listened to the AM radio if you were in a big enough market to have a dedicated sports channel or catch TSN on television and just enjoy the reruns if you watched both the morning and afternoon broadcasts. There was a real sense of simplicity in that there were dedicated times to where you could get your fill and no matter how good or bad the news or content was, you would still lap it up because that's all you had access to. Naturally with the availability and choice that comes from the accessibility of the internet, it has almost a paralysis of choice element to it given that there are too many options to take up your time with sports media. Podcasts, videos, shorts, social media etc.

[Image: 1rdovVs.gif]

[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]

TicTok and Twitter just really aren’t my speed as a player. And while league promotion is a whole lot more important today than it ever was, that doesn’t mean I am necessarily excited to participate as a player. The promotional videos for pregame skate are a lot of fun. Especially when they sew together some in game clips with some internal media and picture day content. But when there is a league wide media event, it usually isn’t nearly as much fun. The reality is, content is king these days, so we as players have to get used to being internet personalities on top of putting out our best content on the ice. I certainly lean in to opportunities to leverage my social media presence to do better in my community tho. If the local Chicago hospitals want to raise money for kids battling cancer, I’ll be the first one in line to do some content work to help make that happen. Whether it ends up on YouTube, TikTok or in the local paper. Always want to use my reach to give back to my community and causes that I care about.

[Image: kickz_jr.png]
Thanks to Merica for my sig
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2022, 01:00 AM by hockeyiscool. Edited 1 time in total.)

If I were to start my own media empire. The first thing I would do would be to make viewing for all of the games free and have it purely be advertisement based. In the beginning this would not be ideal. It would probably end up operating at a deficit like most businesses are starting out with now a days. That being said, customer experience is the most important thing and instead of having very few games available to people having all games available would open up all level or market teams and give plenty of exposure to everyone in the league and allow for plenty of growth to all types of life. Advertisements would clearly be things like adult alcoholic beverages, as well as fast food conglomerates. Some things that are missing from the existing content scene or something that I do not realize is a thing that is performed on the regular is a weekly summation of best hits of the week and it's just that a highlight reel of hits, it could also include goals of the week if there is desire to make the segment longer. heck it could even be monthly. but this week in review. I would also like to see an end of year in review, number of goals that were called back from post review off-sides. I think that would potentially be funny, as well as bloopers. If these things do exist and I don't know about it it's due to too many individual segmented highlight play clouding the internet visibility of the longer videos.

Quote:PLAYER PROMPT- Ok, some people don't care about hockey media. Fair enough! Let's talk about your player again then, and their obligations to team media departments.

Written Task:  These days Twitter takeovers and appearing on Tik Tok just seems to be a part of the job when it comes to being a professional hockey player. So how does your player handle this? When it's their turn to show up on the team Youtube, are they excited for it? Are you the type to be coming up with fun ideas for content and goofing around with the social media team? Or maybe you go to increasingly insane lengths to not appear on camera? Is this a welcome part of the job, or just something you have to do? (150+ words)

Once Bnana NWaffle became captain of the Detroit Falcons, he knew that media is going to be a must as all good captains take that role. For how much Bnana would like to take the Marshawn Lynch approach and say that "They are only there so they won't get fined" because Bnana isn't a fan of public speak. I can tell you that the first few media days he will have to do will be shaky and probably very short but will know they need to power through it. Now a days with all the new social media outlets its almost un-avoidable when it comes to the media. Bnana NWaffles does make YouTube videos on the next best bananas and waffles concoctions, as well as make some Tik Tok videos, so when it comes to those he won't be as nervous or shy. Detroit also took a play out of the Tampa Bay Lightning playbook and set up a camera at the end of the tunnel before the locker room with an interview question for their YouTube channel. NWaffles loves doing those!

(182 words)

[Image: BnanaNWaffles.gif]
Sig by @Ragnar / Avatar by @leviadan
[Image: lIYTYDN.png]  [Image: qtbn8zh.png]  [Image: wu5MVvy.png]