Create Account

The Puck Stops Here | Chapter One

[Image: Daniel_Swift_Signature-3_Carpy48.png]

Chapter One: He Blinded me with Science

- - -

Thomas I. Tinkle stood in the corner of the room, fidgeting awkwardly with his thumbs while muttering poorly rehearsed lines under his breath. Thomas had graduated with honors from MIT, on the fast track to becoming an aerospace engineer, until a general anxiety disorder brought him crashing back down to earth. His friends still called him 'the Doctor of Engineering,' half out of jest, but all joking aside, he was supremely overqualified to be a chief rubber engineer.

Receptionist: "He'll see you now."

Four simple everyday words, but on this day, they caused Tinkle's pulse to quicken. Standing nearly paralyzed for a moment or two, Thomas took a deep breath to try and collect himself before slowly inching toward the President's door.

President Ben Dover: "Thomas, good morning! Are we all ready for the big day?"

Thomas: "Ah yes sir, I'm uh, just concerned about the data sheets. What if uh, they notice composite discrepancies?"

Ben Dover: "Thomas, we've been all through this! No one is going to notice any alterations to the composite data. The new sheets have been carefully prepared!"

Thomas: "But sir, we promised them a hundred percent natural rubber, what if they detect synthetics?"

The President reached out to take hold of Thomas' shoulders and give them a firm shake.

Ben Dover: "Get it together man! You know we had to do this to avoid foreclosure on the plant. It was the only way to cut costs enough to keep the doors open so we could sign our exclusive contract!"

Tiny beads of sweat were already forming on Thomas' brow, just enough to cause his glasses to gradually slide down the bridge of his nose.

Ben Dover: "Today's the day! The buyers from the SHL will be here in less than an hour. We've got everything riding on this, so go out there, give them the tour and we'll get this deal signed! Do you hear me?!"

Thomas: "Uh, yes sir."

Ben Dover: "Good... Now cheer up! At fifty dollars a puck we're all going to be very rich men!"

And just like that, with the twinkle of an eye, the President's expression changed from that of a commander giving orders to the devilish grin of a boy sneaking the last cookie from the unguarded jar.

Ben Dover: "Trust me. Everything's going to work out just fine..."

- - -

To Be Continued...

Quote:431 Words

A proud member of the Season 67 [Image: 4star.png] Four Star Cup champion Maine Timber!!  Timber

[Image: swift.png]

Maine Timber Alternate Captain!  Timber

Thanks to @Merica for the sig!

- - - - - - -

[Image: popcorn.gif] If you Heart hockey  Fan Fiction, (FHM style): Click Here!

This explains why my team sucks so far

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]