Create Account

S67 PT #2: Book Deal Due: October 2nd @ 11:59 PM (PST)

Please pick ONE prompt to write about. Do not mix and match prompts. Identify the prompt you are using in your submission - Copying and pasting the prompt will deduct from your word count so if you do this make sure YOUR submission is 150+ words excluding the prompt.

CREATIVE PROMPT - Somehow your agent has landed you a "blank cheque" book deal with a major global publisher. Better not to ask questions. Anyway-- they want your simulated hockey player's story and they want it at any cost! You have full creative control! 

Written Task: Tell me about your player's book! Do you write it yourself? Do you hire a famous author? What kind of stories would you want included? Would it be a straight-forward sports biography, or something entirely different? Horror? Sci-fi? What would make your book unique, and why would people want to read it? (150+ words)

Graphic Task: Show me the cover of your player's book.

PLAYER PROMPT- OK maybe having your own book is too much work for now. We'll save that for retirement. Instead I want to know... is your player a big reader?

Written Task:  Tell me about your players relationship to literature! Have they always loved to read? Are they often found in the quiet corner of the team plane nose-deep in a book? What kind of things do they enjoy reading and why? If they can't stand reading, then tell me why! Was it one particularly awful book that ruined it for the whole medium? Is your player an animal and thus you never learned to read? Is it just too boring? Tell me what your player gets up to instead! (150+ words)

Graphic Task: Show me your player meeting their favourite (or least favourite) author at a book signing. 

You will receive 3 TPE for fulfilling all requirements.

All responses are due on Sunday, October 2nd at 11:59 PST. NOTE: IF YOU SUBMIT/EDIT AFTER THE DEADLINE YOU WILL RECEIVE REDUCED/NO TPE.

Affiliate claims from either PBE or ISFL or WSLB or SSL are accepted; link directly to your post and note if your username is different there.
If you have any questions/concerns, please PM me. Tasks with malicious intent will not be graded. The graders reserve the right to determine malicious intent, after discussion with me. You will not be warned.

This task is for SHL players and send downs only, it is not for SMJHL rookies.

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=661a1734&is=6607a234&hm=b8...1bf5caed8&]
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2022, 12:30 AM by JamesT. Edited 1 time in total.)

Code:
Written Task: Tell me about your player's book! Do you write it yourself? Do you hire a famous author? What kind of stories would you want included? Would it be a straight-forward sports biography, or something entirely different? Horror? Sci-fi? What would make your book unique, and why would people want to read it? (150+ words)

Ben Jammin's book would highlight the life of Ben Jammin and how he eventually became a professional hockey player after aspiring to be a DJ monkey making wicked beats. I would write it myself as only I could tell my own story, but I would have an editor read it over to ensure everything flows seamlessly and sounds like an actual story as I don't want to write a story where I would just ramble on and eventually lose the reader's attention.

I would highlight my early childhood where I would go over my early days of popping balloons and making banana farms. There would also be a deep dive into my DJ career where I became one of the most popular DJ's in the entire world and had to make the tough decision to put that gig on the side to become a SHL player. It would then end with me getting drafted into the league and since my career is still quite young, there is much left to be written in this story. 

The book cover would be me DJ'ing with the Chicago syndicate logo on my hat and turntable.

(192 words)

[Image: Jammin.gif]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]
[Image: zS2lCMp.png] [Image: ixmZA3M.png] [Image: pxjucze.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png] [Image: IhVx0wj.png]

Thank you @High Stick King @OrbitingDeath @Ragnar @Tesla for the player signatures! 

Player Prompt:

Vaseline Podcalzone definitely has used literature to better his sense for the English language. Coming over from Europe, Podz did not know a lot of English. However, in his first few years in Newfoundland, his teammates suggested a few pieces of literature that single handedly helped him overcome the significant language barrier that is not knowing English in North America.

It started out with fairly easy books, such as Garfield, before progressing towards the peak literature of Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Podz then decided to tackle the Percy Jackson and The Olympians series, simply because it felt more challenging than the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books (there were no pictures!). Naturally, from there, Podz went on to read the Harry Potter series (his house, which he took a Pottermore test for, turned out to be Gryffindor, obviously).

Nowadays, Podz still reads when he has the time, and even tackles some fairly challenging novels. Recently, he has been reading “All The Light We Cannot See” by Anythony Doerr.

[Image: beegbeegyoshi.gif]
[Image: B7bDIPG.png]
[Image: gospklL.png]

PT pass

[Image: jay2233.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @High Stick King and @Maxy for the sigs!

Raptors Argonauts 
[Image: m59RPb7.png][Image: FcWmVTl.png]

I am writing that shit myself. As per my previous point task 1 answer, I am a media mogul and I am literate, and as such I will not and do not need anyone or any team of people writing media for me. In fact, I am a member for the Crodie Hockey Network, the know defunct hockey media network, built strictly to complete with the SHN, both of which are now dead. The second I need money, and I second I finish my exam/applications I will be resurrecting the CHN, and posting a muli thousand media about a review of my career, and I slowly reach the end (something I have been saying for many seasons now [reaching the end of my career, not the media thing]). As I veer back towards the topic at hand, my book will be simple. No sci-fi, no fuckery, just a good old fashioned read about my career. The book will also be free and I will be donating extensive amounts of copies around the world as everyone should know my name.

[Image: j2h9XpS.png]
Thanks to JSS for the signature

[Image: ohmEd0h.png][Image: apAE8qn.png]

Creative Prompt

Fun facts about the user behind Louise St. Martin, as I choose to break the fourth wall for a bit... I actually graduated with a degree in writing, and have actually intended on writing some sort of novel at some point. It would definitely be a fantasy novel of some kind, since world building is something that I've always had a lot of time for (and something that kinda inspired me to join these leagues), though I've been unsure of the details because I have been fatigued out of my mind lately. There's a few different motifs I've been kicking around - maybe something with time travel, I've liked the idea of a story where some modern characters turn out to be descendents of people from Atlantis and they get flung back in time to go save it, or something with a dual worlds type of theme (something like a dream world/physical world dichotomy).

Too many ideas, too little energy. aaaaaaa

[Image: valpix.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @Symmetrik, @Merica, @enigmatic, and @sulovilen for the sigs! 
Avi courtesy of @MN_Moosey
[Image: d9J5DHT.png]
Citadelles Switzerland Stars Blizzard 
[Image: VGl3CB4.png]
[Image: valpixpride.gif]

Having spent much of his youth growing up in his grandparents pub in London, due to the fact that his father Rex was too busy playing professional hockey all over the place to properly look after him, Red has an avid love for reading. His grandfather would read him the Hobbit as a bed time story and from that moment on he was hooked. Lord of the Flies, Animal Farm, A brave new world, lord of the rings, the Sharpe novels. He would read anything and everything that he could. He did not always enjoy the books that he read. In particular the catcher in the rye and the Harry potter books were both absolutely terrible but most of the time he would greedily consume the pages often at the expense of sleep. Of all the genres the fantasy genre was probably his favourite and in particular the Terry Pratchet ringworld novels were the ones that he had particular affection for.

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]

It all started when I was just a young lad, I'd say it's your average Canadian Childhood, waking up at the hairy asscrack of dawn, driving about two hours away for tournaments and can't forget... the stop at Timmies on the way! I grew up in your average Montreal suburbs, had your average Montreal suburbs friends, and played your average Montreal street hockey. I don't have your superhero star player story, I had to work to get where I am, and I owe everything I have to this very day to my parents, they did everything for me, drive me to hockey, buy my equipment and of course buy me Timmies!! So I did what any kid would do when they get a big SHL contract, I paid off all my parent's debt, gave back exactly what they spent on me all those years and I bought them some neat little things to show my neverending appreciation. From Peewee all the way to university they were there for me, and all I had to do was perform, not only did I want to be a big star in the SHL but I wanted to do it for them!

Thats a little example of what to expect from my new biopic and I hope you enjoy it!!

[Image: hammer_time_sig.png]

[Image: gXlAFBa.png][Image: 8CbZQAJ.png][Image: IhVx0wj.png]

I would definitely hire a famous actor to write my book, because it would be a work of fiction. The basis of the book would be about me, as the main character, playing hockey. But the book would be set in the future and would be considered science fiction. I would be tasked with organizing the biggest hockey tournament in the history of the world. However, we are in a future where humans and aliens’ lives on a number of different planets. As time as gone by and the game as evolved, each planet now as a different way of playing the game we all love. I would travel from planet to planet with the objective of taking one rule from each planet and put it in the rulebook for the tournament. The only thing I would star with is the fact that the game is played on ice, all players wear skate and uses a stick. Everything else is up to me.

163 words

Nor Ge
Citadelles

Salzberger Lillehammersson
norway Inferno World Falcons

Anders Christiansen
[Image: inferno.png] [Image: dragons.png] [Image: wolfpack2.png] [Image: stars.png] [Image: Dxdffra.png] [Image: hGKuRrv.png] [Image: sAx3Llh.jpg] [Image: firebirds.png]

Quote:Written Task: Tell me about your player's book! Do you write it yourself? Do you hire a famous author? What kind of stories would you want included? Would it be a straight-forward sports biography, or something entirely different? Horror? Sci-fi? What would make your book unique, and why would people want to read it? (150+ words)

There will definitely be at least one book about Spack Jarrow's adventures by the time he is done his career. Likely several before publishers refuse to print any more of them. I imagine at least one book will be about growing up as a deck-hand/privateer and finding his way to such a polar opposite sport. Jarrow wouldn't be the type to write it though, he would likely hire a ghost-writer to pen the actual autobiography and just voice his stories to the work.

The next book would focus on the business side of things where Jarrow has branched out by becoming a successful mogul. Starting with his alcohol brand, Captain Jarrow's Rum, to the various other ventures that he has funded that the people might not know about.

Whose to say what the 3rd, 4th, or even 5th books will be about. There is still a lot more of his career to play and we are just getting to the good part of it. The adventure continues!

[ 173 words ]

[Image: yyo9APg.gif]

Written Task: Tell me about your player's book! Do you write it yourself? Do you hire a famous author? What kind of stories would you want included? Would it be a straight-forward sports biography, or something entirely different? Horror? Sci-fi? What would make your book unique, and why would people want to read it? (150+ words)

The book about Tom Pedersen would be written by B.V. Larson and it would be a futuristic sci fi story sprinkled with real life stories from Tom Pedersen’s life. Lots of it would of course be made up but you need all aspects to make a great book. Due to the size of inspirational data this book will not only be a book, but a book series of ten books called “The Tom Commandments”. The young Tom Pedersen was found all alone by Ruggsy and Jumbo and soon started the training to become a feared Raptor in the rebellion against the evil Empire from the far evil midwest plague plagued city of Jai. The first book of Tom will be about the early years until he was found by his teachers. The second about the battles of smijhol. The eight others will be about the rest of his life and encounters with new enemies. Stay tuned. Amazon has already bought the rights to televise the books even if they haven’t been written yet.

Words: 174

[Image: TomPedersenCD.jpg]
[Image: cgv4vCv.png][Image: 3Kip7R0.png][Image: ivBf7yq.png][Image: cEbgUph.png]

Jay Cue moves millions of fans as we all know, so he could pretty much write a book about european ants migration tendencies or something crazy like that and it would be a hit, a a top 3 book of all time.
But what do fans like the most, besides winning to make them forget about their lives? You are right, they love a "backstage pass" to their sports idols lives. So Cue could very well do some kind of auto biography, telling some behind the scenes moments that he was involved in, like locker room disagreements he saw, blow dryer pep talks by the coaches, his personal life, family, friends and crazy stockers, you name it, he would get into it in detail. Especially now, that he managed to snag his first ring with the Atlanta Inferno, this book would be selling non stop for years. Well, make it a seasonal book, something like an "All or Nothing" series, but written.

(162 words)

PT Pass

[Image: Caleb_H.gif]

PLAYER PROMPT 

For Sir Devoir, books were always a big part of his life. He loves peace and quiet, and is usually seen with a book in his hand more then he is seen watching TV or a video. His favorite genre to read is Fantasy and Horror as you can imagine with his name sounding like something from a fantasy novel. He especially loves the works of Tolkien and Stephen King, and actually has a few books that were signed by King that he got from his time in Maine. His agent had gotten him a meeting with King, where he managed to get him to sign his Cujo and Misery copies.

He also managed to get a copy of Rage, but did not dare show King that he had it. If Stephen King had disowned that book, then he probably would not like to see that Devoir had it, or that was Devoir's thoughts at the very least. Still, reading is a big hobby for Devoir, and is a way for him to keep boredom away.

[Image: wfm-sig.png]
[Image: Wf5B9wj.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2022, 08:45 AM by adamantium. Edited 1 time in total.)

Code:
Player Prompt

"Benny!"

Woah, hey, phone in the face--

"Team Tiktok."

Oh yeah, alright, hit me.

"What's your favorite book?"

Ooh, tough. I don't read a whole lot anymore, but uh...maybe S. by Dorst and Abrams? That's one of those books my dad bought a long time ago and it totally blew my mind the first time I read it. Half of the story is in the margins with scribbles and footnotes, it's got all of these postcards and notes and shit physically tucked between the pages for you to open and interact with as you read, it's a really cool and unique experience, totally worth reading. I'm really into that whole "weird literature" thing where the book is as much a physical part of the story as anything else.

"Favorite book series?"

The Dark Tower. Honestly, it loses major steam past the fourth book, but it's still a really phenomenal series and totally worth reading. Wizard and Glass is one of the best novels I've ever had a chance to read.

"Book you'd recommend to anyone?"

House of Leaves. It's in the same vein as S. in that the book itself is this really integral part of the storytelling--it's the ultimate literature version of the philosophy of "form follows function." One of the deepest, existential, and admittedly dread-filled stories I've ever experienced, but it's got a million layers and I find something new every time I go back. I don't want to spoil too much, but it's definitely worth a read.

"Most difficult book you've ever read?"

Wittgenstein's Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus. I still haven't really grasped his philosophical view of the world. Don't even honestly remember how it came into my possession--maybe my dad, again?--but I've read it a couple of times and it still hurts the brain.

[Image: MvfRxO2.png]
sigs by me bitch