Create Account

(GRADED) Deep Dive 2 - Kelowna Knights S66 Draft Analysis
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2022, 12:48 AM by leafs1997. Edited 1 time in total.)

Like my first deep dive, I will be analyzing the draft selections of the Knights, but this time in S66.  The criteria for each ranking will focus on the same items as my S65 draft analysis – TPE rankings, stats, outlook, and fit with Kelowna’s roster makeup.  I will not be covering the S67 draft – since players were just recently drafted, I decided that it may be a bit early to evaluate the picks.

Let’s get started:

First Round:

#4: Jacques Hammer, RW
Current TPE: 402
S67 Stats: 19 GP, 3 G, 8 A, 11 P, -14 +/-

With their first round selection, the Knights took a swing on Jacques Hammer, an offensive minded RW with a strong shot and an act for scoring goals.  So far, the choice has paid off for Kelowna.  Although he is not the top earner in his class, the Hammer isn’t too far behind, making him a solid option as a first round pick and first line scoring threat.  Beyond TPE, Hammer is a leader for the Knights and one of their top offensive options despite this only being his second season in the SMJHL.  Beyond the ice, the French Canadian is also a locker room and front office leader, serving as the captain of the Knights and as a GM for the organization.  With everything the sniper brings to the table, he should be a main factor behind the team’s success the next few seasons.

Draft Grade: A

Second Round:

#17:  Jon Bell, LD
Current TPE: 195
S67 Stats: 19 GP, 0 G, 6 A, 6 P, -4 +/-

So far, Bell has been solid for Kelowna as a second round pick.  Although the TPE total is a little on the lower end, JB remains an active player and has been making good progress lately.  In a full season last year as a rookie, the defenseman collected 16 points to go along with solid possession and shooting statistics relative to teammates.  Bell remains a contributor on the back end as a serviceable top 6 defenseman.  I remain optimistic that Bell will only continue to improve moving forward as he improves over the coming seasons.

Draft Grade: C+

Third Round:

#31: Tim Coke, RW
Current TPE: 155
S67 Stats: Currently a free agent

As a third round pick, you hope to find a diamond in the rough.  Unfortunately, that hasn’t worked out for Kelowna with their selection of Tim Coke.  The user remains listed at 155 TPE and has only 5 total posts, going inactive.  Kelowna released Coke and he is no longer with the team for S67.  I don’t have too much else to say about this pick.  It was a miss, plain and simple, but such is often the case for middle round picks.

Draft Grade: D

Fifth Round:

#59: Emil Lindenberg
Current TPE: 155
S67 Stats: Currently a free agent

Similar to Coke, Lindenberg also did not pan out for the Knights and is currently a free agent.  Emil currently remains at 155 TPE.  As a fifth round pick, this was more of a shot in the dark, and later round picks usually have a much lower chance of success.

Draft Grade: C

In this entry draft, the Knights did okay, but they could’ve done better.  Hammer is a gem and Bell has been a fine piece for the team, but Kelowna received little beyond that in their other two picks.  While adding these pieces was nice, Kelowna could’ve done better in this draft, as whiffing on two picks always hurts, especially when one was a third round selection.

Overall Grade: C

[Image: lutz-first-sig-shl.png]

@jlutz14 APPROVED! +5 TPE

[Image: leafs1997.gif]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: QtEp67y.png]