Create Account

S67 PT #3: It Wasn't Me Due: October 9th @ 11:59 PM (PST)

Hockey Prompt

Hey all, hope you all had a good week? Mine was okay, but enough chit chat, Let’s talk about video reviews. My initial reaction to the concept of video review is that is a much needed tool. You see in every sport nowadays, VAR in soccer, hawkeye in tennis, etc, but i think it is especially important in hockey, because hockey is a very fast sport. Following the puck is very difficult and making decisions based on your eyes alone is undoable. Video reviews are most of time very easy decisions, but i feel they sometimes take far too long, especially when the stakes are high. That is not only the case in hockey, but in every sport. I also believe goalies should be way more protected by video reviews. Any time a skater is too close, the goal should be automatically disallowed in my opinion. I feel too many goals are allowed after video review. I don’t have much else to add really.

Stars | Player | Update Thread | Gordie#6746 | Manual Lineup Sheet | HockeyNation | Grizzlies

[Image: ZTnAz7v.png]

[Image: geRnYPO.png][Image: 0S9kFQ6.png]
Shout out Ragnarr for these two amazing sigs

It's my third year in the SMJHL, so I think after 104 regular season game and 22 playoffs game, all the refs know me.
I'm not really someone who will always bark at the ref for some calls they didn't make, but only when the situation require it.
When I player enter my zone, he needs to understand that he's in my territory and he have to pay attention to what he does if he doesn't want a slashing on the calves.
I'm kinda tall so I will not be intimidated in my crease, but if you respect me, I will do the same thing. Some teams or players are trying to play dirty and mess with me, but I try my best to stay cool and keep the focus on the game.
So if someone is hacking me, it will not be long before I retaliated on my own if the ref does nothing. I will let the player and the ref know that they have to pay more attention to this, but I will only give one second chance.

[Image: SyiOY8U.png]
[Image: un22.png] [Image: 5tu6.png]

Ugh replay reviews... I am very on the fence about this stuff. Part of me goes "Review them all you want, gotta play by the rules and do not rely on some shitty ref to make the calls on ice" but then the other side of me goes "Blind refs are part of the game. While you do get some shit calls against your team, you also get some shit calls FOR your team and it generally works out in the wash".

I feel like I would be ok with all goals to be verified through a replay and I can even agree with adding offsides to that review on scoring plays. But I do not think that all calls everywhere should always be verified via video. I think most would argue there is a call that can be made at any given time if you really wanted to and that just would not be enjoyable. And then you get to late playoff series where the refs swallow the whistle a bit and kind of just let them play. I fully support this method to keep some of the ticky tack calls from being made.

And I am a subscriber to the "If you aint cheatin, you aint trying" philosophy.

[Image: thiefofcheese.gif]

[Image: Yztckjo.png] 

Sig credit: Ragnar, Carpy48, High Stick King

PBE Affiliate

[Image: 3MtyuZk.gif]
[Image: dAxJaBU.gif]

Player Prompt:
Videl Fixes a Game.

[Image: VidelBribesTheRefs.png]

[Image: ljefVAX.png]
[Image: Wf5B9wj.png]

PT Pass

[Image: Caleb_H.gif]

HOCKEY PROMPT- Want to give me your opinion on a hockey related matter again? This is the prompt for you!

Video review and virtual refs are the future, as, in my opinion both as a player and official, anything that supports making the correct call is a positive. As cheesy as it sounds, especially if a ref hits with you this on the ice after a call of some sort: the game is built on its rules. Now there are a lot of said rules built on subjectivity such as just about any penalty call, so for those purposes I imagine little will change for a long time, perhaps tools giving refs the ability to see more, such as perhaps "drone-refs" if you will, as silly as that sounds. But, when it comes to objectives calls, such as offsides, and especially goals, I find it hard to see the point against allowing reviews progress as they have. Shit, these are processes that could be fully automated at some point in the not too distant future. Ideally, these objective calls are never missed, and even if the subjective ones are, chances are the referee is using their discretion to determine it was not a penalty to begin with.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

PBE Affiliate

Player Prompt

Baku is a hot head, let’s call it what it is. While he’s settled a bit since his first season in North America, where he terrorized his own teammates, he still has a mean streak. When the ref—a notoriously out of touch power tripper—called the penalty, Baku wasted no time telling him how he felt. As a member of the leadership team this season (first time wearing an A for the Elk), he finally had authority to chat with refs. Towering over the 5-8 in skates ref, Baku unleashed a stream of expletives and creative Nigerian pidgin. Like many times, it’s all passion little logic. Still, the fans love it and let the officials hear it with a 4 minute long run of referee abuse (the full length of the double penalty Baku ate for yelling at the ref and the unearned trip). When he hit the ice again, the crowd roared for the return of their hothead top center.

When asked later on about the incident, Olubori smiled his biggest toothy grin and said, “I didn’t earn the first penalty, but I surely earned the second. For that reaction, it was worth every moment.”

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

Part of being the best Sven involves being the most graceful. Sven will let the ref know (respectfully and gently) that he fucked up, and serve his time. It actually works better this way, everyone knows that Sven Svech isn't really that much of a scoring threat lately, and he doesn't want to end up on the wrong side of some highlight reel. Honestly the most hurtful part of the whole situation is that Sven is a very big part of the penalty kill, but he has confidence in his team that they will be able to kill off the penalty time. If nothing else, it's a 2 minute break for someone that is on the ice for damn near 25 minutes a game. In fact, that could be the reason Sven takes any penalties, but he'll never admit it. Once the penalty is over he'll hit the ice refreshed and be looking to dish it off to Lev Lebedev for a counterattack opportunity.

[Image: steveoiscool.gif]

If the ref wont do anything about it, things are going to get rough. In the heat of the game, August, like any goalie will pipe up. Being young, dumb, and full of testosterone. I am sure there are bound to be multiple occasions per game that he is going to have to assert himself in the crease. Might even earn a reputation as a hatchet man of sorts.

After all, players are bound to attempt at pucks they WISH were loose or bump him out of his own blue paint and he his going to have to show them that they wont get away with it one way or the other. In the end, August has that German spirit for personal justice in him and has not doubt seen what some veteran SHL goalies have done to protect their net. Taking experience from all of their many seasons in this league.

[Image: CptSquall.gif]

SHL Affiliate

[Image: CAu3g3c.png]

[Image: zS2lCMp.png]  [Image: oMh09WY.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: wu5MVvy.png]  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

Hockey Prompt

Honestly I don't think video review in hockey is too annoying unless a blatantly obvious call is missed. I feel like that generally goes for all sports. For example, it makes no sense to me when the refs review a play in football just for the coach to challenge the play again after the review and the call changes. I watched a soccer game the other day where the ball was kicked off a player's knee into his forearm. Even after they reviewed it using VAR, the result was still a penalty. There's no point challenging for offsides or reviewing a goal if the refs plus their crew in HQ simply make the wrong calls. 

I would love for goal calls to be automated since I know we have trackers inside the puck. We should be able to use that kind of technology to determine if the puck crosses a threshold inside the goal line to be considered a goal. That'd probably be a huge part of the game and would allow for goal calls to be instantaneous instead of having to review the play after minutes of action.

Hockey isn't the main sport I follow, I follow football (soccer to you Yankees) and video reviewing is quite new in that sport. I always refer to hockey when it comes to video review discussions. I think video reviewing in hockey has set the standard for many other sports in the world. It's also necessary, because hockey is a real fast sport. Right now I think not much has to be changed to video reviewing in hockey right now, I think it's in a good place. There are times that it takes a bit long, but to keep the sport fair I don't think it is that much of a problem. There is already a lot of breaks anyway, so a few more does not hurt the game at all. Though what I love to see is that infringement are also reviewable. Not just afterwards by DOPS, but during the game. Some hits to the head, slewfooting or spearing penalties will be caught quicker.

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]