Create Account

SHL Graphics Academy Sign-Up Thread (S68)

The Graphics department will be running the "SHL Graphics Academy" again this season for a second time! Check out our results from last season.

What is this about?
The intent of the Graphics Academy is twofold; it will allow us to teach members of the site how to create signatures that will enable them to fund their players' careers, secondly it will enable us to increase engagement and activity in the graphics community.

Description:

We will run classes with those that are interested in improving their graphics skills. Classes will be split into two categories: Beginner and Advanced, and will run over a number of several weeks throughout the season. Each fortnight a lesson will be set that focuses on one element of player signatures depending on the skill level of the class.

Graphics Graders will be assigned to mentor these classes. The academy will run over 7 weeks, the first week of each lesson will be used by participants to create and submit their work to the class mentors. The following week will be used provide feedback on the submission. This work will be shared with the other members of their class so there will be two types of feedback for participants: peer feedback from their class members and professional feedback from a grader a.k.a. mentor.

Participants will be paid for completing each stage and will receive a bonus for completing all 3 stages. Participants will also be paid for actively providing feedback to peers during each stage. None of it is mandatory, but the more you do, the more everyone will benefit.

Lesson plan Beginner Class:
Week 1: Player render
Week 2: Feedback
Week 3: Logo swap
Week 4: Feedback
Week 5: Text
Week 6: Feedback
Week 7: no lesson

Lesson plan Advanced Class
Week 1: no lesson
Week 2: Jersey Swap
Week 3: Feedback
Week 4: Lighting
Week 5: Feedback
Week 6: Text and effects
Week 7: Feedback

Payment:
- $500k per submitted task ($500k extra for giving peer feedback every time) = max $1M per lesson
- Bonus for completing all 3 lessons: $3M
- Maximum payment per season: $6M

When does the Academy run?
The Graphics Academy will run from the 14th of November for 6 weeks for the Beginner class and starts one week later from the 21st of November for 6 weeks for the Advanced class. We might work around the Christmas holidays towards the end of the season, because not everyone might have time. That will be discussed with the participants later.

Should I be in the Beginner or Advanced class?
If you are new to making graphics or have submitted graphics but not received a grade over 3/5 sign up for the beginner class. If you are confident in the fundamentals of making graphics but would like to improve sign up for the advanced class. It is required that you know hot to do a proper jersey swap in the advanced class.

How will I learn?
Each lesson a task will be set and some useful references will be provided, it will be up to the participants to attempt the task. Once the task is complete, participants will submit their work, and discuss what they found challenging, peers and the assigned mentors will review the work and provide feedback and advice on the areas that were found challenging.

But I don't have Photoshop!
That's ok. There are free alternatives (such as PhotoPea - https://www.photopea.com/) that you can use! In fact we do recommend either Photoshop or Photopea, but if you do use other software, we can discuss options.

How do I sign up?
Just reply to this forum post until Sunday, 13th of November and let us know what class you want to take part in. The classes will be run through Discord so please include your discord name and join the SHL Graphics Discord server (join here!) so we can invite you to the Academy channel. It is mandatory that you join the server if you want to participate.

Can I be a mentor instead?
If you would like to help out as a mentor, please get in touch with @Carpy48 directly to see whether you are a good fit. Mentors can get paid up to $3M.

If you have other questions, also feel free to ask them here in this thread.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

Advanced course please.

[Image: wfm-sig.png]
[Image: Wf5B9wj.png]

Beginner course please

[Image: zootshl.gif]
Sig credits: OrbitingDeath & enigmatic

[Image: hUtg6sH.png][Image: Voi7GNj.png]

Timber Scarecrows pride Aurora France

Advanced pls

beginner course

Beginner course!

[Image: image.png]  [Image: lap-teamsig.png]
@jason kranz sig elite / @sulovilen elite sig
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png] [Image: G1cbXSf.png] [Image: gdppv5N.png]
Panthers Ireland Highlanders

Beginner course please!

[Image: MMCPaEg.png]

[Image: kcP9WEd.png] [Image: DNLeeu0.png][Image: eP8F2Ne.png]

Beginner course please

Foil Up Boys

(Very) beginner class please!

Sign me up for the beginner course.

Reminder to everyone who hasn't joined our discord server yet, please do so before sign-ups end.

sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]

Beginner class please Smile

Discord: Reno ◢ ◤#1997

[Image: S38oOt3.png][Image: of1yZSs.png]
[Image: JzmdDrE.png]

Advanced Course

[Image: m38.gif]
Update Thread - Player Page
Update Scale

Former players:
Ivo Willems (S9 SMJHL) (S10-28 SHL)  
Xander Green  (S33-35 SMJHL) (S36-47 SHL)
Vorian Atreides (S49-51 SMJHL) (S52-61 SHL)

Beginner again!

[Image: kahnwald.png]
Sig by @Ragnar

Bump: sign up and join us on discord. We'll start on Monday!

Stars Lions Berserkers