Create Account

World Cup 2022 Qatar

Now they can't even buy beer at the arena? What the hell.

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2022, 03:12 PM by boom. Edited 3 times in total.)

11-19-2022, 02:58 PMShylo_Moxii Wrote:
11-19-2022, 11:47 AMboom Wrote: Same here. Canada’s in it which is cool, but Qatar never should have been awarded the Cup in the first place.
this I can 1,000% agree with. 2026 will be hosted in North America and 48 Teams will be included from there on. So I would say it should get better. And the 2030 World Cup bid is Portugal Spain and Ukraine with Greece Saudi Arabia and Egypt and the third bid is Uruguay Argentina and Paraguay so I would say it'll get better along the way, but if I actually went into politics I would fully agree with you it was a sham of a selection for the 2022 Bidding process.
Saudi Arabia and Egypt want to host? Two of the most unsafe countries in the world for women and journalists? That is...not better. And with FIFA's track record it's probably going to happen.

Sports does not exist in an apolitical vacuum.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

11-19-2022, 02:58 PMShylo_Moxii Wrote:
11-19-2022, 11:47 AMboom Wrote: Same here. Canada’s in it which is cool, but Qatar never should have been awarded the Cup in the first place.
this I can 1,000% agree with. 2026 will be hosted in North America and 48 Teams will be included from there on. So I would say it should get better. And the 2030 World Cup bid is Portugal Spain and Ukraine with Greece Saudi Arabia and Egypt and the third bid is Uruguay Argentina and Paraguay so I would say it'll get better along the way, but if I actually went into politics I would fully agree with you it was a sham of a selection for the 2022 Bidding process.

Haven't even paid attention to the 26 world cup and beyond. Warmongering US eh? sad. Let Scandinavia host it instead. Cool

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

11-19-2022, 03:10 PMboom Wrote:
11-19-2022, 02:58 PMShylo_Moxii Wrote: this I can 1,000% agree with. 2026 will be hosted in North America and 48 Teams will be included from there on. So I would say it should get better. And the 2030 World Cup bid is Portugal Spain and Ukraine with Greece Saudi Arabia and Egypt and the third bid is Uruguay Argentina and Paraguay so I would say it'll get better along the way, but if I actually went into politics I would fully agree with you it was a sham of a selection for the 2022 Bidding process.
Saudi Arabia and Egypt want to host? Two of the most unsafe countries in the world for women and journalists? That is...not better. And with FIFA's track record it's probably going to happen.

To add to the last bit. Sadly Sports at the grandest level is usually the Most political and stuck with massive, uninclusive elements. Club owners, League Staff. The like.
Like any fan, I just want to be able to enjoy the sport. When I want to play, the best teams and atmosphere is when it is ALL inclusive. I'll keep an eye on how Canada does. Google results and stuff. But i see no incentive to go out of my way to watch it.

[Image: CptSquall.gif]

(This post was last modified: 11-19-2022, 03:37 PM by Shylo_Moxii. Edited 1 time in total.)

11-19-2022, 03:10 PMboom Wrote:
11-19-2022, 02:58 PMShylo_Moxii Wrote: this I can 1,000% agree with. 2026 will be hosted in North America and 48 Teams will be included from there on. So I would say it should get better. And the 2030 World Cup bid is Portugal Spain and Ukraine with Greece Saudi Arabia and Egypt and the third bid is Uruguay Argentina and Paraguay so I would say it'll get better along the way, but if I actually went into politics I would fully agree with you it was a sham of a selection for the 2022 Bidding process.

1 majority of the games will be in Greece such as US gets all but 2 host cities 1 in Mexico 1 in Canada. 2 Portugal Spain and Ukraine are the highest bid right now. 3 complaining about certain countries hosting because of political stuff that we both don't have control over is not my forte. I see a lot of people doing the same thing for the olympics being held in China. I can't ultimately waste my time and get upset about it. Because I myself would start being VERY unhappy about everything. So yes unfortunately Saudi Arabia and Egypt are apart of that bid, but there are more profitable spots such as the portugal and spain bid. I would frustrate myself way too much if I held the standard of judging every little small thing especially in sports my life would be a very sad and very angry life. Which is why I choose to separate politics from sports. "apolitical vacuum" can exist in sports you just have to choose it. No disrespect towards you or anyone else that way. I just have no intention on torturing myself with more politics when I deal with it enough at my job, social media, and even the news. Sometimes the line blurs here as well. I just try not to let entertainment and political lines blur. I already deal with enough emotional attachment to politics I can't deal with adding more to it.

[Image: FR-B3jfXsAAvEaW?format=png&name=small]

11-19-2022, 03:23 PMSamsung virtual assistant Wrote:

Haven't even paid attention to the 26 world cup and beyond. Warmongering US eh? sad. Let Scandinavia host it instead.  Cool
Finland Norway and Sweden being a host bid would be great!!!

[Image: FR-B3jfXsAAvEaW?format=png&name=small]

11-19-2022, 03:39 PMShylo_Moxii Wrote:
11-19-2022, 03:23 PMSamsung virtual assistant Wrote: Haven't even paid attention to the 26 world cup and beyond. Warmongering US eh? sad. Let Scandinavia host it instead.  Cool
Finland Norway and Sweden being a host bid would be great!!!

Now this i can get behind! Leave Denmark out of this Goal Blush

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

11-19-2022, 03:36 PMShylo_Moxii Wrote:
11-19-2022, 03:10 PMboom Wrote: Saudi Arabia and Egypt want to host? Two of the most unsafe countries in the world for women and journalists? That is...not better. And with FIFA's track record it's probably going to happen.

1 majority of the games will be in Greece such as US gets all but 2 host cities 1 in Mexico 1 in Canada. 2 Portugal Spain and Ukraine are the highest bid right now. 3 complaining about certain countries hosting because of political stuff that we both don't have control over is not my forte. I see a lot of people doing the same thing for the olympics being held in China. I can't ultimately waste my time and get upset about it. Because I myself would start being VERY unhappy about everything. So yes unfortunately Saudi Arabia and Egypt are apart of that bid, but there are more profitable spots such as the portugal and spain bid. I would frustrate myself way too much if I held the standard of judging every little small thing especially in sports my life would be a very sad and very angry life. Which is why I choose to separate politics from sports. "apolitical vacuum" can exist in sports you just have to choose it. No disrespect towards you or anyone else that way. I just have no intention on torturing myself with more politics when I deal with it enough at my job, social media, and even the news. Sometimes the line blurs here as well. I just try not to let entertainment and political lines blur. I already deal with enough emotional attachment to politics I can't deal with adding more to it.
It's the exact contrary in my opinion. Things don't get better when people put their head in the sand. Things don't get better unless people vote with their wallets and put pressure on sponsors to force FIFA to change. We saw this with the Miller signing and we're seeing it now. Sportswashing is a very real thing to paper over their horrible human rights records with propaganda and entertainment, and it would be disingenous to connect the two.

Also, just "not wasting your time" with politics is a very privileged viewpoint. People like me are unable to go to these games and countries and be who they are. Laws get passed that control the bodies of women. I do not get to choose to just check out of politics, and neither do other marginalized groups. If we don't get loud, we get trod on. So it isn't just that simple.

I recommend doing some reflection to take into account the privileges that you would carry to be able to feel like you can safely ignore these matters.

11-19-2022, 03:41 PMSamsung virtual assistant Wrote:
11-19-2022, 03:39 PMShylo_Moxii Wrote: Finland Norway and Sweden being a host bid would be great!!!

Now this i can get behind! Leave Denmark out of this  Goal  Blush

Hej!

We've had.....a couple competent NHL players.

11-19-2022, 03:50 PMCptSquall Wrote:
11-19-2022, 03:41 PMSamsung virtual assistant Wrote: Now this i can get behind! Leave Denmark out of this  Goal  Blush

Hej!

Jannik Hansen fan club unite

11-19-2022, 03:51 PMboom Wrote:
11-19-2022, 03:50 PMCptSquall Wrote: Hej!

Jannik Hansen fan club unite

Love ya Boom. One of my favorite, non star level Canucks. The Great Dane <3

[Image: 153684713_102255478588942_14302040117448...e=63A0D47F]

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]

I’ve been thinking about this for a bit because I wanted to make sure to respond in a way that’s well thought out and not just a gut reaction. This (the things I’m talking about here) is bigger than this one thing, and the conversation that’s ensued is a real indicator of that.

The big picture - being able to enjoy sports, or any other commercialized entertainment product, without having to think about politics, is a privilege. And I don’t mean that in a snooty way, it’s not meant to imply that people who have that privilege are lesser, just that those of us in positions of privilege should use that responsibly.

I am not here to say that we should only ever enjoy unproblematic things - that’s pretty much impossible. But just because just about everything we could enjoy is ethically complicated in some way doesn’t mean we get to just switch that off and pretend everything is fine. We don’t get to throw up our hands here and say “oh well! I can’t fix it, so I’m just going to pretend I don’t know about it!”

I can tell you that a lot of us (women, queer people, since those are the two I can speak on personally), we don’t want to be thinking about politics when we’re watching sports either. But I can’t express how disheartening it is when I find out that someone who’s produced a product I’ve enjoyed - whether that’s a sport, music, a movie, whatever - turns out to be someone who doesn’t think I deserve the same rights they do. It changes the way you enjoy the thing. And we don’t get to turn that off.

So when you say “I wish people just wouldn’t bring politics into it” - I promise you, those of us who are raising a stink about this stuff would so much rather be doing something else. I don’t take any joy from this. I just want to watch my sports and not have to worry about that stuff. But the truth is, things have been politicized that shouldn’t. Whether it’s athletes using slurs on each other, or some other form of prejudice that’s reared its ugly head, this stuff finds us, whether we go looking for it or not. And it shouldn’t be political. It shouldn’t be politics to treat people with basic human decency and for everyone to be able to live and love safely no matter who they are, it shouldn’t be politics to avoid human rights violations while you’re putting together a product you expect people to spend their hard-earned money on.

And yet, here we are. We don’t get to just choose to ignore it. We can’t just “choose to enjoy things in an apolitical vacuum” when people have politicized our entire identities. We don’t even get the normal capitalist bullshit that everybody else does without some dudebro coming out of the woodwork to whine and ask “when is STRAIGHT PRIDE NIGHT??” We didn’t make it political, the bigots who hate us did.

So, zooming in on the immediate issue here - no, I won’t be watching this. I won’t be talking about it, I won’t be engaging with people who do. Not because I wanted to think about the politics of it, but because I will not willfully give my support, in the form of my money or my viewership, to something that has literally already cost thousands of people their lives, happening in a place where it would literally be illegal for me to be queer, or to live my life without a man’s permission.

I wish I didn’t have to think about that stuff, but given the current climate, not thinking about it is at best a privilege, and at worst complicity.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2...cup-looms/

https://www.hrw.org/news/2022/10/24/qata...gbt-people

https://www.hrw.org/news/2021/03/29/qata...ens-rights

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

Fifma balls

[Image: Z8yXihx.png]

I’m for the boycott because shit is straight up messed up. But I personally know a couple in the WC and will support them in their once in a lifetime event.

This can’t go without mentioning those boycotting The WC, are you boycotting the F1 race too? Just curious.

[Image: Wally.png]