Create Account

S68 PT #1: Knuckle Sandwich Due: November 27th @ 11:59 PM (PST

Magnus Liljestrom is a lover not a fighter, so it will definitely not be him who goes out and fights. In fact Magnus has had only one career fight in the fourteen seasons that he has been in the league, whether it be in the majors or juniors. And he lost that one quite badly, so he is not eager to repeat the feat anytime soon. He also doesn't really like the fighting portion of the game, though he does respect it and will engage to protect his teammates. However if the coach wants someone to go out there and send a message, Magnus thinks that there are better ways to do so rather than doing it by using fists. Rather than fighting, trying to score goals might be better. He might make an exception if it is to show the other team that dirty stuff is unacceptable, like shoving or roughing the goalie, or borderline hits on players.

[Image: hgcI1ti.png]

First off, this prompt is ridiculous because I would never be on a team that is down by 5 goals unless we were purposefully losing. And maybe that's the case here. Maybe the players got so bored they wanted to lose so badly that fighting would be considered an acceptable thing. It's frowned upon to fight when whooping someone. All that said, I would absolutely be the one to get in the fight. I'm a 6'4" 245lbs tank of a defender with a history of a mean streak. Just look up the videos of me beating up the Wazzu Cougar. I start off with some small jabs, feeling my way around my opponent. Once I know his weakness, I strike with a vicious left hook, right uppercut combo. The loser drops like a sack of potatoes, but I don't stop. I jump on him with an old fashioned People's Elbow followed by a few jabs to the jaw. He's out cold and I'm the victor.

[Image: puddlesoduck2.gif]

Ph

[Image: manh_sig6.png?width=499&height=542][Image: lebedev-sig.gif]

Code:
PLAYER PROMPT - Down by 5, it's late in the third, and the coach wants someone to send a message that your team is not just going to lie down and lose this season. They want someone to fight!

In the words of the great British poet, Sir Michael Philip Jagger:

"You can't always get what you want,
No you can't always get what you want,
But if you try sometimes, well, you just might find,
You get what you need."

So as badly as coach may want a fight to send a message, if we're down by five late in the third, I'll be abandoning strong defensive positioning for the sake of landing a crushing hit on the opposition. By body checking their star player into the middle of next week, that'll send a message just as clearly, but without resorting to fisticuffs, and/or breaking the rules and incurring the wrath of the officials.

The point being, there's more than one way to skin a cat, and a stiff open ice hit lets the other team know that tonight's lopsided loss was just a one off. In other words, the big hit was just a receipt. Our team still has a lot of 'fight' left in us, and the opposition can expect nothing less than stiff competition in any and all future games! (And that's not a prediction, that's a spoiler alert)!

(208 Words)

A proud member of the Season 67 [Image: 4star.png] Four Star Cup champion Maine Timber!!  Timber

[Image: swift.png]

Maine Timber Alternate Captain!  Timber

Thanks to @Merica for the sig!

- - - - - - -

[Image: popcorn.gif] If you Heart hockey  Fan Fiction, (FHM style): Click Here!

Fighting in hockey is an interesting thing. Outside of actual combat sports, obviously, no other sport allows such a thing to happen without extremely grave consequences for the players involved. And no, I don’t mean having to sit out the game for 5 minutes! On one hand, it’s something that is easily marketable for the sport. ‘Come watch hockey, you might get a free boxing match thrown in!’ However, the realities of the fights are often very different to what you imagine. Obviously, fighting on skates is a very difficult thing. Hell, I find staying upright on skates standing still a difficult thing, never mind trying to dodge someone who’s trying to punch me in the face! But, because of this, the fights usually end up looking awkward, few meaningful punches connect, which is generally a good thing, unless it’s someone fighting Tom Wilson, then they should be allowed to use their stick!
In short, it’s more of a performative thing to fire up the team and the crowd, there’s not generally any real jeopardy for those involved, unless one is a particularly skilled fighter.

[Image: A3AlstA.png]

Player Prompt:

GK is definitely not a fighter, so if his coach had asked for a fight to bolster the spirit of the team, he definitely would not be the one to step up. As a player he is more focused on assisting his team in getting points, or scoring however will not get too physical as it really isn’t in his skillset.

That being said, they would definitely not fight ever in the future. As fights typically occur, GK will normally stand and find an opponent to chat with while watching the fight.GK understands that fights are part of the game, and can be a way for players to “police” the game, as well as bolster the energy of their squad, however also understands that every player has their role, and that is not GK’s role to get into altercations. He is more likely to apologize to someone after a clean hit, then get heated and trying to fight.
(159 words)

[Image: 57771_s.gif]

[Image: U66t7Jy.png][Image: CXrxOKM.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png][Image: zyyvIFD.png]

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

HP

I think that there is still a place for fighting in hockey. I think its a necessary evil that really helps the game calm down. Emotions build up, players get angry, and the game gets more and more physical until all of that energy builds up and a fight between two players breaks out. Typically after a fight, that pent up emotion subsides and players go back to playing their regular game. Overall it ends up being safer in the long run and we end up with fewer injuries than if the game continued at too high of an emotional level. We've seen players have short and long term injuries due to someone else that is just too caught up in the game itself. As much as I would like to see fighting eliminated and hockey be even more of a skill game than an enforcer game, I don't think were really at the point where fighting is detrimental to the game itself.

[Image: topalo2.png] [Image: sig-nash.png]
[Image: Rangerjasegmailcom.gif]

Alright, so fighting definitely have a place in hockey and has no business leaving the game as far as I'm concerned. I don't want to sound like I'm stuck back in the old days either, so playing devil's advocate is important here as well. Fighting is one of, if not the most unique aspects of the sport that separates us from others. I think the main argument would be.. why would we bother taking it OUT of the game? There needs to be some sort of policing on the ice outside of the officials to "punish" players from making reckless and inherently dangerous plays. It's been proven time and time again that the zebras will make mistakes when it comes to calls, and even the department of player safety makes incorrect calls when handing out suspensions (or lack thereof). With that being said, there has to be discretion on the players' part when they're going to throw down. If someone's sole intent during the game is to fight someone for no reason, then I don't believe in that. But if you're going to fight someone after they did something reckless and you're trying to keep them in line? Go right ahead.

Code:
Words: 150+

Player Page || Update Page

[Image: a5C9JXf.png]

CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER
MONTREAL IMPACT FOREVER

Being a 5'8", 155-pound rookie, Sophie Bordeleau is definitely not someone to drop the gloves. She hasn't gotten into a fight in a hockey game since her last year playing high school hockey, and even that one was to stand up for a teammate when an opponent went way over the line. If Sophie were ever to fight in the SHL, given her small size and focus on being a finesse player, it would probably have to be for a very good reason, such as an opponent saying something beyond the pale or doing something that cannot slide, like a dirty hit. If it was just for the Pride being down by a lot and the coach wanting to get the team/crowd back into it, there are better people that are more suited for doing that. The worst thing for San Francisco would be for Sophie to break her hand or something punching someone in a meaningless bout that doesn't come from the heat of the game.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

PLAYER PROMPT
Oh hell yea I'm getting out there. But not to just look for a fight. The best fights are those between superstars. Although Nathaniel is in no ways a superstar, or even star, he isn't exactly a goon either. He's looking for a dirty play on one of his players which can demand retribution. Or maybe even something as simple as the bad guys poked at my goalie, and NO ONE touches my goalie. I know the tender probably gave the guy a chop, but principles.
Fighting is interesting because prestaged fights, or ones simply to "boost morale" are bullshit. In the heat of the moment when you feel the need to go, that's all good. Or if some chickenshit takes a cheap run at your guy they need toe wrath of hell brought on them to teach them a damn lesson.
I don't fight often, but when I do, it's usually a blood crazed fury, and that's the one that makes the fans remember, and the other team take note.

Barca is arguable insane, sometimes.

Code:
183 Words

[Image: krash.gif]

[Image: kLRJavo.png][Image: ZjgHcNL.png]

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]

HOCKEY PROMPT: Personally, I’m not a big fan of fighting and I don’t think we need to have fought in the game moving forward. There’s plenty of hockey out there that is played without allowing fighting, notably in college hockey, in multiple European leagues and in the international tournaments and the hockey is just as good while the number of cheap shots also doesn’t increase noticeably, which is often the main argument used to argue that fighting needs to still be allowed. Although, I personally don’t think that fighting needs to be an outright ban at the top level, because I think this is a part of the game that will simply fade away as the years goes by and we can already observe that phenomenon in the Canadian junior leagues where fighting as basically took a nosedive. Two players fighting right after a faceoff pissed me off, because I think these fights are completely useless and I just want the game to move on.

163 words

Nor Ge
Citadelles

Salzberger Lillehammersson
norway Inferno World Falcons

Anders Christiansen
[Image: inferno.png] [Image: dragons.png] [Image: wolfpack2.png] [Image: stars.png] [Image: Dxdffra.png] [Image: hGKuRrv.png] [Image: sAx3Llh.jpg] [Image: firebirds.png]

Answering for the player prompt:

As Captain of the Seattle Argonauts, Vaseline Podcalzone understands that one of the most important responsibilities as being captain is to stand up for his fellow teammates. Therefore, for Podcalzone, it makes sense that it is likely going to be his responsibility to be the guy that ends up going out there and fighting another member of the team.

This characteristic is well exhibited in Podcalzone's early career. By this, I am talking way, way, back, to his playing days in the SMJHL with the Newfoundland Berserkers. Podz most iconic fights actually came during the Four Star Cup playoff run in Season 55, his rookie season with the squad. There, he fought in several critical times, and while he did not win, he was successful in shifting the momentum in the favour of the Berserkers, who would end up winning the Four Star Cup.

So yeah, Podcalzone is something of a fighter. At least, he used to. Definitely not much of a fighter anymore.

[Image: beegbeegyoshi.gif]
[Image: B7bDIPG.png]
[Image: YOSHI.png?ex=65f214ee&is=65df9fee&hm=80f...e73badf86&]

Hockey prompt:

The dwindling prevalence of fighting in today's game is, for the most part, a good thing. Hockey is first and foremost a skill game, and over the years players have gotten more talented, and the game has gotten more technical, which has led to some amazing games and plays that we never would have seen even twenty years ago, let alone in the heyday of the "goon" where fights were the big ticket item that brought in crowds. As a matter of player safety and the growth of the game as a whole, fights are something we should continue to discourage, but not entirely eliminate. There will always be things the refs miss, and the department of player safety has a terrible track record of properly punishing dangerous and dirty plays, and the hockey fight remains the one legal way for the players to police the game themselves. As long as it is used sparingly and with purpose, the fight will remain an important tool to use to protect players and keep emotions under control in heated games.

[Image: RAmenAmen.gif]
sig credit: Ragnar, Sulovilen, Enigmatic, Bayley
[Image: kcP9WEd.png] [Image: DNLeeu0.png] [Image: DKMMlC3.png]
[Image: RAmenAmenPride.gif]

Honestly, I appreciate that there is overall less fighting in hockey than when I was growing up. While I'm not the biggest hockey fan in the world, I have many students who are hockey fans and hockey players, and I think when they grow up seeing adult men, heroes in their lives, who are not just aggressive, but in this case violent, it sends a bad message. For a lot of kids they are trying to figure out how to manage their emotions with the fact they need to be able to follow the rules and laws of society. If fighting would get you arrested for assault on the street, I struggle to see why it suddenly becomes okay because you're on the ice. Especially when looking at what children view and understand, they can struggle to see the difference between 'This okay because it's not actually fighting to fight, but because it's about the game' compared to what might get them in trouble in other circumstances.

[Image: 66168_s.gif]
Update Page || Roster Page

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

Hockey Prompt

I both don't think fighting in hockey should go away, and I don't think it will either. There is a discrepancy between when and when not to fight. Certain situations should be when you fight. I personally think it's apart of the game. I personally still feel we resort to fighting when tensions are high, or when someone is defending their teammates. I don't exactly see it ever going away in that way. Hockey is a sport where they use their emotions. I believe the right time for fighting is when we are defending teammates, trying to change momentum, trying to get some of the tension between you and someone else out.
I myself think it's a perfect amount of fighting at the end of the day the era when Tony Twist and Craig Berube and Tie Domi it's pretty much the end of that era. I still think hand in hand we have a reasonable amount of fighting and it works alongside the game of hockey itself.

[Image: FR-B3jfXsAAvEaW?format=png&name=small]