Create Account

(GRADED)Deep Dive #2 - SMJHL Contenders and Pretenders - Atlantic Division
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2022, 03:23 PM by CptSquall. Edited 2 times in total.)

With 10-12 games in the books for each club we're almost 20% of the way through the season so I thought it would be a good opportunity to review the standings and take a stab at who I think the contenders and pretenders are for the 68th Season. Since I'll likely surpass the word count quickly I'll split this in to two deep dives. The first will be the pretenders and contenders for the Pacific division and the second deep dive will be my list of pretenders and contenders for the Atlantic division. Seeing as we only have the two options you're going to see some harsh takes so I apologise in advance and I'll try to do my best to explain my reasoning.

Detroit Falcons - Contender
After 11 games played they lead the entire league in wins, goals for, goals against and goal differential. I won't bore you with much more, they are contenders, full caps, underlined.

Maine Timber - Contender
Quite the drop from 1st to 2nd in the Atlantic, but your Maine Timber currently sit 2nd with a 6-4-1 record and a -2 goal differential. In the Pacific I might slot this in as a pretender, but their 35 goals against is the next best after Detroit. If they can find a way to score more and improve on that 33 goals for I can see them as a formidable contender in this group.

Colorado Raptors - Pretender
6-6 through 12 games they've played 0.500 hockey and have struggled mightily to keep the puck out of their net with a division worst 48 goals against. Their 44 goals for are second most behind Detroit, but I'd like to see them be more responsible in their own end before I bump them up to contender status.

Yukon Malamute - Contender
Much like Colorado the Malamute are playing 0.500 hockey with a 5-5-1 record through 11 games. The big difference being a +3 goal differential and only 40 goals against. They haven't played Detroit yet so that could change, but they have played St Louis, Regina and Maine which I have as all contenders so by no means a easy stretch of games to start the season.

Quebec City Citadelles - Pretender
4-6-2 after 12 games with a goal differential of -4 gives them a lot of room for improvement. They're certainly still in the hunt early on with just a few point separating them and Yukon, Colorado and Maine, but if I had to guess I think the Citadelles will find themselves on the bottom end of those names listed by seasons end. The biggest reason being is 2 of those losses came at the hands of the Grizzlies who currently only have 2 wins and sit last in the league.

Newfoundland Berserkers - Pretender
If I did this a few days ago they'd be a deep pretender, but they're currently riding a 3 game win streak, improving their record to 3-6-1. It was a very rough start for the Berserkers, but they've managed to course correct a bit. If they can continue to do so perhaps they can secure a higher seed in the playoffs, but based on the limited sample size I'm going to leave them in pretender.

Great Falls Grizzlies - Pretender
2-6-2 through 10 games with a -16 goal differential is a tough place to be early in the season and with just 29 goals for I don't see them climbing out of it unless the rest of the division takes a considerable downturn.

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride

Approved, +5 TPE to @karlssens

[Image: CptSquall.gif]