Create Account

S68 PT #3: Celebrate Good Times Due: December 11th @ 11:59 PM (PST)

Quote:CREATIVE PROMPT - The in-arena event staff is looking to make your team's wins a little more hype. They want you to sit down with the team and come up with a cool tradition you can do as a group after a home win. Once the other team has left the ice, go nuts. 

Written Task: What wacky, fun, exciting new post-game celebration do you come up with? Are there fireworks? Mascots? Props? What's everyone's role? Do you change it up a little bit every night, or do you want it to be consistent so that the fans know what they have to look forward to? (150+ words)

Bnana NWaffles will get all of his teammates, all that can attend after practice, to talk about what celebration the team can do to get the crowd more into it after a glorious win! What NWaffles suggested and it seemed to be a crowd favorite in the room among his teammates, was to play Sharks and Minnows, with the goalies starting off as the Sharks. They will hype up the crowd while all of the skaters get to one side of the ice and the goalies at center ice, then play a few rounds. Now they will of course take into consideration whether they must travel the next day for a road tour and to not go super hard, so no one gets hurt. If management of course denies this do to possible injury, the other suggestion that the team liked would be trick shots and other crazy skills the players can do with stick and puck, maybe the net too, maybe the goalie is needed!

(166 words)

[Image: BnanaNWaffles.gif]
Sig by @Ragnar / Avatar by @leviadan
[Image: lIYTYDN.png]  [Image: qtbn8zh.png]  [Image: wu5MVvy.png]

Many kids start with the dream to play for their favorite SHL franchise and only a small fraction of them will make it to the league. Not only that but once in the league they have to play at a top level to be able to score on shl caliber goalies. With all of that being said, it would be ridiculous to expect players not to go absolutely wild when scoring a goal, only because spme old bitter fan wants respect. You need to earn respect and the simple solution is to not let the opposing team score on you. There is a small exception and that is when the team is leading by more than 3 or 4 goals, there should be some decorum, specially if you already have a goal. But if its your first you always go wild no exceptions. You only get so many goals in the league so might as well enjoy them

Raptors Raptors  Raptors Raptors Raptors Raptors

Forge Forge Forge Forge Forge Forge 

Germany Germany Germany Germany Germany Germany 

[Image: drokeep.gif]

Alexi Piastri is definitely a fan of creative goal celebrations. It's tough to contain the excitement and energy that scoring a big goal can bring out. Luckily for Alexi, he already has 47 goals through the first 47 games of the season. Piastri is on a recorn shattering pace, already eclipsing the Battleborn team mark, and only 2 goals shy of tieing Greyson Cooper's modern day record. This has given Piastri plenty of time to work on his cellys. Piastri has taken to gliding on one knee and giving a simple fist pump a number if times so far this season, however with so many opportunities to celebrate, there have been a number of memorable celebrations. There was that time he opened a gate in the corner, reached into the crowd , signed a fans baby, closed the gate behind him, and casually skated back to the bench. There was another time that he slid his stick in front of him and hopped onto it sliding along the ice, think skimboarding. With 19 games to play, who knows what Piastri will do next.

[Image: Piastri2.png?ex=65ba64d4&is=65a7efd4&hm=...462889f09&]
[Image: or8VMxO.gif]

Hockey prompt

Celebrations in hockey are for the most part way too tame. Players need to show their personalities more to market the game. However, I think it’s a delicate tightrope to walk between player’s showing their personality and excessiveness. Most celebrations in hockey that show passion are ones after game changing goals or fights. There are very few memorable celebrations after goals or fight wins that I recall, even fewer that aren’t game-winning goals. I think the Jagr salute was pretty iconic and would like to see this more from players. It doesn’t have to be some outrageous celebration like football that has the full team involved but something other than just the fist bumps and the pats on the helmet. I would also like to see more passion. I know some of the elite players score forty plus times a year but it would be awesome if they were passionate about even half of those goals. I think bringing passion would be good for the game. 

When I moved to Canada from New Zealand and was introduced to hockey for more or less the first time on of the things that immediately struck me was how old fashioned many of the approaches to the game were. In many ways it reminded me of the way rugby was when I was growing up in the 90s where everything was done by the unwritten code, men behaved like men and anything like showing too much emotion or celebrating too hard was frowned upon or often met with retribution or condemnation. Rugby has moved on but often I watch hockey and feel like it is still stuck in a time gone by which is often why I think things like elaborate celebrations are met with such disdain by hockey pundits, former players and the media alike. The problem this creates for hockey is that kids are more open and creative than when I was a kid and if hockey maintains its tough macho man direction for everything then it will end up dying out due to lack of interest.

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]

B Jobin doesn't really score goals since he is a goaltender and the goaltender is responsible more for stopping the goals rather than scoring them so the options for celebrating are usually limited given where he is, and the opportunities are also just as rare because he can only really celebrate a win, and with his play this season he can't really do much of that either am I right! Anyways when B Jobin gets his first shutout he's probably going to do a full dance recital post-game for all the fans, and everyone on the Steelhawks will be required to learn the coreography for the dance and perform it with him. There will definitely be fireworks and streamers and a big light show it would certainly be a sight to behold for Steelhawks fans young and small to see the starting goalie B jobin put on some crazy moves truly. Afterwards he would probably hit the griddy since his teammates love to do the griddy dance so they'd hype him up for sure.

[Image: bjobin2.png]
[Image: 9tINabI.png][Image: c97iD9R.png]

**First GM in SMJHL history to win 3 Four Star Cups back-to-back-to-back**

I think that celebrations both for goals and for wins in hockey are amazing. I know that some people find it classless or act like you've won before mentality but isn't this a game for entertainment? Why are we gatekeeping other people's fun. Celebrating a goal or a win, isn't taunting another team or talking down on the other players. It's celebrating with your team, your fans, your city, and your arena. As long as you aren't doing anything to disparage someone else, then why does it matter if you celebrate? Seeing the raw emotion of a player after a big goal or big moment is one of the reasons we watch the game. You want your players to have that passion and that fire. Sometimes hockey can feel so snoody or uppidity. Let's go out there and remember why we all started playing and watching to be entertained and to have fun. Let's get more people out there celebrating.

[Image: sdcore.gif]

Player Page [Image: berserkers.png] [Image: syndicate2.png]Update Page

[Image: sgu3vVP.png]
[Image: 9vq7IEu.png]

I find celebrations for both goals and wins to be a great way for players to express themselves both as a person and competitor.  Often in hockey, players act incredibly basic and undistinguishable from other players in the league.  Almost every interview with hockey players has the same or similar talking points and clichés spouted off unthinkingly.  For this reason I like players having unique celebrations for accomplishments.  It makes players memorable when they otherwise wouldn't be.  Everyone knows and remembers Tiger Williams for his celebration, even though his career isn't as memorable compared to said celebration.
I think with the media in this situation it's best to ignore them.  Hockey media is notorious for being incredibly reactionary and archaic in its ideas, and hates anything that smells of individuality.  Those that do comment are only looking for clicks and will say the most confrontational opinion like a media wide First Take segment.

[Image: 1wgIGr9.png]
[Image: MEAGHER.png]
Credit Maxy and Merica for sigs

Hockey prompt:

I am personally of the opinion that being serious is a little overrated, and that having fun doing something isnt inherently disrespectful to the activity itself, so yes I would have loved players to have something special for a celebration they would pull off after big wins or individually after big goals. Some unfortunately wont have the creativity to find something super interesting for themselves, but for those who can, I find it very stupid to limit them just because someone might be salty about being scored on. I think hockey players in general can get butthurt over the stupidest stuff and that is sort of the reason we dont see much in terms of celebrations, because it creates unnecessary tension that might lead to stupid injuries by players that cant get over their ego being bruised by something that is the slightest expression of personality on ice. There is a reason I loved Carolinas post game celebrations so much and would have enjoyed other teams doing similar things, and you saw some of the reactions to those celebrations by hockey media yourserlves.

Manhattan Rage | General Manager
[Image: sig-hlemyzd.png]
thanks Sulovilen for the sig!
D | Great Falls Grizzlies | Player Page | Update Page

[Image: 8E70VfU.png]
[Image: image.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2022, 03:22 AM by hockeyiscool.)

I think that celebrations in hockey have a lot of room for improvement. In general, there are only three or four celebrations in hockey. Over the years there has become many different celebrations for hockey goals, most are modest. You have got the classic high fives your teammates through the lines that is a classic. But I would not necessarily consider that a celebration but more of a ritual consistancy after each goal. I would say one of the most consistent and classic celebrations is the fist pump. you have two of them. You have the classic below the shoulder fist pump which is pretty consistent sometimes hockey players really spice it up and go to one knee or two knees depending on the situation. The other version of the first pump is the above the shoulder fist pump. That one is more like a mario grabing a coin or super hero breaking through some overhead debris. In addition to the fist pump there is probably one of the more new age and revolutionary celebrations, the use the hockey stick as a rifle and it is just as it sounds. You extend the hockey stick out handle away from the player, genereally aimed at the net and line it up against face/upper body area and make a movement with the stick that resembles a shot. That one The one that is the creme de la creme of celebrations is actually the board jump into the wall. Most amazing game deciding goals are that. It is probably because there is not much that you can focus on in celebration other than just ramming yourself into the wall going fast.
Those are the general celebrations and they are classic and dignified but they are also kind of lame. The creativity in hockey celebrations is lackluster with a lot of room for improvement. however I will not be the one to choreograph the celebrations.

[300+ words]

Quote:Written Task: What do you think about celebrations in hockey? There aren't many of note, because it seems that most players like to keep it tame. Not only that, but when there is a celebration of note, it makes the media rounds and everyone has to weigh in. So where do you land on it? Should players be respectful and keep things low key, or would you prefer to see them go crazy sometimes? (150+ words)

Celebrations are a hot topic not just in hockey, but in all professional sports. It is a personal belief of mine that older generations want the games to be as "professional" as possible, with little to no human emotion outside of unadulterated anger, because fights are somehow interesting. It makes me truly happy to see the younger players come into hockey and other sports and just try to have fun with it. It is a game after all, so why not try to have some fun? Celebrations are a truly amazing way to have fun, not just as a player but as a fan, too. Take the Carolina Hurricanes for example. The fans *love* the post-game celebrations. Even if the "storm surge" has settled down to just skating into the boards, the "surge" has really helped drive fan engagement with the team, and the organization as a whole is doing better for it. I want the players to have as much fun as humanly possible. If their idea of fun is a stoic celebration, I'm all for it. If their idea of fun is an elaborate celebration (that isn't obscene), I'm all for it. Just have fun, it is a game after all.

[Image: 60859_s.gif]
Aleksi Kettu
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]