Create Account

S68 PT #3: Celebrate Good Times Due: December 11th @ 11:59 PM (PST)

Code:
What do you think about celebrations in hockey? There aren't many of note, because it seems that most players like to keep it tame. Not only that, but when there is a celebration of note, it makes the media rounds and everyone has to weigh in. So where do you land on it? Should players be respectful and keep things low key, or would you prefer to see them go crazy sometimes? (150+ words)

Celebrations in hockey are few and far between.  Maybe for milestone goals like a players first goal...or 200th goal maybe but overall I think the lack of major celebrations just fits in with the idea that hockey players are a different breed all together.  I daringly use the word "humble" to describe hockey players in general.  They're focused on the game.  There's no flamboyance needed.  No giant flair of a dangle as anything that is highlight worthy or actions to be celebrated are most of the time, expected.  The fact that at the professional level the players are already a tier well above what anyone else could possibly imagine, scoring a goal is already crazy difficult.  The group gathering post-goal to congratulate a well placed shot after a fantastic pass from a team-mate really solidifies that hockey is a team game requiring a team effort.  At this point in life, I feel if they made a spectacle about scoring a goal like is done for home-runs in baseball or touchdowns in football...it would just feel, well...wrong.

Hockey prompt

I've always appreciated that hockey is generally understated about celebrations: the fist pump, the group hug in the corner, or the jump into the glass. My other favorite sport is soccer, so I've seen all manner of cringey choreographed celebrations, from little dances to full-on skits with like half the team, all of which have made me enjoyed the game less rather than more (and I'd be so glad to never see anyone take off their jersey to reveal some message on their shirt beneath ever again *cough*Pulisic*cough*). I grew up playing sports with the mantra of "act like you've been there before" and I think there's a way to balance that with genuine emotion. It doesn't mean you have to be a robot after a goal or a win, but let the celebration be natural, in the moment, and respectful. A nice victory song and sticks up to the crowd is always appreciated.

[Image: YpRQWIT.png]
Sig courtesy @sulovilen

[Image: SyiOY8U.png][Image: showthread.php?tid=126581%5D][Image: ywpNoYb.png]

Creative Prompt

The Newfoundland Berserkers have always had a solid atmosphere at their games, with the St. John's faithful rocking the Mary Brown's Centre. However, the marketing department has been looking to spice things up, and they've approached fan favourite Tummy Hurts to see if he might have any suggestions. Tummy suggested delving deeper into the viking theme of the Berserkers brand by incorporating the legendary Holmgang into the team's on-ice victory celebrations - not that there have been too many of those in recent seasons. The Holmgang is a duel between opponents, used as a dispute resolution mechanism among medieval Scandinavians. Tummy proposes that after each Berserkers win, some fans be called down onto the ice to participate in such a duel, offering a sacrifice to the gods as the cherry on top of each win. Tummy isn't sure the marketing department will go for it, but we'll see.

Something happened on the day he died. Spirit rose a metre and stepped aside.
Somebody else took his place, and bravely cried. I’m a blackstar, I’m a blackstar.

[Image: Wooly.gif]

a bottomless curse, a bottomless sea, source of all greatness, all things that be.

Hockey Prompt:

When it comes to post game cellys, I don't mind them too much. They are fun and kind of a new way to spice things up after a simple win. Just a way for a team to show their fans their own silly side I guess. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to be a part of one in the Playoffs particularly as I feel like they can be used as bulletin board material. Have you ever noticed that, when a team injures a player on the other team, it usually feels like that other team carries that all the way to the finals? So imagine, you lose a good, well fought 4-2 game maybe. You are on the road, and you catch wind of it on the highlights slash coaches tapes next game day. It certainly would fire me up. So yeah, on one hand they seem fun. But on the other hand, I worry that they would be bulletin board material.

[Image: CptSquall.gif]

HOCKEY PROMPT

Personally, I think showing your emotions and celebrating is fine as long as it comes naturally. If you are pumped about an empty-netter to seal a 4-1 game, go crazy about it. If players show emotion when they score, it means that they are also playing with a lot of emotion, and that usually means it is a good game of hockey. I sometimes feel players intenionally tone it down and focus on trying not to get crazy over a goal. If that is something that really happens or is encouraged by coaching staff etc., I don't like it.

I'm not a fan of pre-planned celebrations, because they often look like what they are - pre-planned and unnatural. Also I feel like the opposing teams might use that as fuel for them, as it shows the player "knew" he was going to score and even spent time thinking how to celebrate it. Another justification for wild celebrations is that at least I as a kid really loved it when the players did something crazy. And I would guess kids these days think the same way. So go crazy, at least for the kids!

[Image: sulov.gif]

HOCKEY PROMPT

What a perfect question, considering just yesterday I officiated a game where this question had to be brought up. The age and skill level was U13 A I believe, so neither very old players nor at a very high skill level. After scoring their first goal, one team's players celebrated by sliding on one knee and then very enthusiastically embracing their teammates at centre ice. The display was more dramatic than normal, especially for a 1-0 score in the first period, but I see no issue with a team and it's players being excited, especially in such an exciting game such as hockey. No, where I personally draw the line was shown in the very next period from the same team and the same player, where after scoring the go ahead goal to make the score 2-1, the same player starts by sliding on one knee again, but this time, with the opponent's bench closer, they point to the bench on their way to centre and while still on one knee.

The point to the bench earned the player a minor for unsportsmanlike conduct, as would any celebration directed at the opposing team. The only other situation where I'd deliver the same penalty is in a lop-sided game where the team leading continues to celebrate dramatically as that too is a recipe for disaster.

I respect individual's rights to be excited after scoring, but intentionally making others feel worse is crossing a line.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

Hockey Prompt
Honestly I wish there were more celebrations in hockey. I want to see little jigs, ice slides, stick tosses, be creative out there. I mean you just scored a goal! That 's huge! I know they say it can fire up the other team, but as a fan that is what I want. You scored so your team is pumped, you do a sweet celebration, so the other team is pissed and wants to get it back. That just makes for a more intense and feisty game. I am not saying every goal should be a big deal though. If you score the 5th in a 5-1 game, just hug your teammates and go away. You score the go ahead goal with 2 minutes left? I want to see you bowling the puck into your pin teammates. I do want to media to show them, have your highlight goal package followed by the highlight celebration package. Get people excited, scoring is fun and so should be the celebrations.
169 words

[Image: NOLA-oiduser.png]

Hockey Prompt: Players should be allowed to show emotion and excitement after scoring a big goal. The NHL is so bland. Nothing is exciting. Everyone with a personality is beaten down until they become a faceless robot who says the same damn thing every single interview. Show me some passion. Oh boo hoo it makes the other team feel bad. Maybe dont get scored on then? I want to see skill. I want to see showboating. I want to see celebrations and I want to see teams try to one up each other on the ice.

Teams could do a lot to help with this. A team based celebration would be neat. Theme it to the team's name. Have some fun. I dunno, anything to take my attention away from the fact that the NHL used to be amazing and has slowly become less and less fun. Or maybe I am just bitter cause my team has been garbage for a decade and still doesnt have a future that looks even remotely optimistic.

[Image: %3E%5Balign=center%5D]
Aurora Winnipeg Aurora Aurora

I had to put a lot of thought into this prompt but honestly I am okay with celebrations in hockey. Now that doesn't mean I am for whomever sits on their stick and rides it like their piloting a boat. Nor am I for the guy who power tossed himself through the plexiglass, you know the one I am talking about. Everyone who has ever loved the game has pictured themselves celebrating scoring the 'game winning goal' either by hugging teammates or pounding the glass in a rival's building. I know I have definitely twirled my stick and sheathed it like I just slayed a beast. Anyway, none of that answers the prompt you've asked for. Me myself, I am for the celebration as long as its tasteful. You don't wanna celebrate in such a way it brings hell down on you but you do wanna honor that you're 'the man', if even for a little while.

Once the other team has left the ice all the fans stick around to watch a Manhattan Rage tradition: the victory charge. Players line up on opposing blue lines and hold their sticks straight out towards each other and charge at each other, much like a jousting competition. The three stars are chosen by who wins this jousting competition, with the first star being chosen by fan reaction, colosseum style. The coaches aren't too happy about this routine, as the team has gotten very competitive with this contest and there are quite a few telltale bruises showing up on Manhattan Rage players. The competition seems to be good for morale though, as the Rage have been on a pretty strong streak since adopting the policy. The fans have fully embraced their role in the contest as well, with many holding their outstretched arms out waiting to give a thumbs up or thumbs down following the conclusion of any series (they've all watched Russel Crowe's Gladiator a few too many times).

[Image: steveoiscool.gif]

PBE

[Image: BrettBroadway.gif]
[Image: Hunter.png]

Hockey Prompt

I think honestly it depends on the game. I think footballers tend to get it right - ham it up when the game's close and you just scored a huge goal, something more subdued if it's in the middle of a blowout on either side. It's also tougher to choreograph something more sophisticated when you're on ice skates. That being said, may I take this opportunity to rant about the staple of all hockey goal celebrations? Because there is very little in the sport of ice hockey I hate more than the goal horn. I should preface this with the fact that I do have sensory issues (the World Juniors in Edmonton were legitimately unwatchable). But even if I didn't, I'm a believer in sports culture should be driven by the fans. Drowning them out with a loud obnoxious boat/train horn is anti-fan, and the fact that it's so central to hockey culture - especially in the USA and Canada - is proof that hockey HAS no culture. Or at least a positive one. The only horns I can kinda tolerate are lighter ones easier on the ears (looking at you, Winnipeg Jets). Music? Fine with me. Horns? Fuck off. If your horn is deafening I hope your team never wins a damn thing.

[Image: valpix.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @Symmetrik, @Merica, @enigmatic, and @sulovilen for the sigs! 
Avi courtesy of @MN_Moosey
[Image: d9J5DHT.png]
Citadelles Switzerland Stars Blizzard 
[Image: VGl3CB4.png]
[Image: valpixpride.gif]

PBE affiliate

CREATIVE PROMPT Written Task: The SHL has seen its fair share of evolution when it comes to celebrating goals and team wins at the end of games. With time, hockey celebrations have become more and more flamboyant. So I will be highlight a couple of different ideas for post-game celebrations. The first one is the Jagr salute. It’s simple, but it’s something that Jaromir Jagr made famous for in hockey celebrations and think it would be cool for the team to do a salute to the fans at the end of the game. Another idea for a post-game celebration is the Tiger Williams stick ride that the team can do after a win skating around the ice. Another post-game celebration would be replicating the iconic Selanne Sharpshooter celebration with the team where players will throw up the glover in the air all at the same time and pretend their gun is a stick and shoot it down out of the air all together.

[Image: apSD6uj.gif]
[Image: leafsftw1967.gif] 

Malamutes  Stars Malamutes  Stars
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2022, 07:13 PM by Frenchie.)

Code:
What wacky, fun, exciting new post-game celebration do you come up with? Are there fireworks? Mascots? Props? What's everyone's role? Do you change it up a little bit every night, or do you want it to be consistent so that the fans know what they have to look forward to? (150+ words)

First off, as the other team is leaving the ice, the fans will be chanting ''NO E-O-TTIRD'' under the same tune as a ''Let's go Kraken''. They would yell, top of their lungs, to rub it in that their favorite team have come out victorious. Once this is done, Eottirds will be released in Spectrum Center to go nuts. Fans will be seen throwing pilk (@sve7en) on the ice, the apparent favorite treat of the Eottird, for them to feast on in celebration of such a glorious time. The only variation there would be would be in the tune, so that on ''F the penaltys'' night, you could fully enjoy Eottird as well as remembering such fond memories of seasons past. (181 words)

[Image: image.png]  [Image: lap-teamsig.png]
@jason kranz sig elite / @sulovilen elite sig
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png] [Image: G1cbXSf.png] [Image: gdppv5N.png]
Panthers Ireland Highlanders