Create Account

S68 PT #4: Historian Due: December 18th @ 11:59 PM (PST)

For this history prompt, I will write about the illustrious career of a certain defenseman named Gabriel Johnson, He was a little man who was drafted to Hamilton out of Anchorage, all the way up at second overall. It was seen as a reach at the time, but Johnson ended up being well more than worth the value of the pick, contributing heavily to multiple steelhawks wins and being a valued member of the team. On top of that, his value increased even more when, after asking for a trade to try out a new challenge, Hamilton got insane value for Johnson in a trade. He was nowhere near worth 2 first round picks in a trade, but Seattle paid that to them, much to the dismay of Seattle GM NotoriousTig, but he was still very steady with the Argonauts. After that, he ended up going to the Atlanta Inferno in free agency, where he completely excelled, outperforming every Atlanta defender in his second to last season to secure a Stevens nomination, although he undeservedly.

(173 words)

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

NHL History
A part of NHL history that I find intriguing is the NHL goal record and Ovechkin's current quest to beat Gretzky's record of 894.  Not only is this record intriguing by just how ludicrous this record is, it is also intriguing by how radically different Alex Ovechkin and Wayne Gretzky got to their respective places in the race.  This graph visualizes it best.  Gretzky netted 500 goals at like age 25-26, compared to age 29-30 for Ovechkin.  Ovechkin lags well behind Gretzky for the entire graph (and to this day obviously as the graph is roughly 3 seasons out of date,) but continued putting consistent goal totals.  Ovechkin has scored less than 40 goals in only one full season (2013 lockout and 2021 COVID shortened season not apply.)  Even in 2013 which was locked out he still scored 30 goals.  He only missed 30 goals once in 2021 due to COVID.

[Image: 1wgIGr9.png]
[Image: MEAGHER.png]
Credit Maxy and Merica for sigs

ISFL Affiliate

ISFL username: 37thchamber

UpdatesPlayer Page
The Journey

6,000 mile road#DidItForDildo1,700 miles more
A Silver Road

Drought Ender, Curse Breaker, Firebird

HOCKEY PROMPT

The record I would like to talk about today is one of the most heralded in all of hockey and it's within reach. Yes, I'm talking about the all time NHL goals record. Alex Ovechkin sits at 800 goals as I type this, only the third person to ever hit that bench mark, and at 37 years in age many people have their eyes set on the next milestone: Wayne Gretzky's 894. How does someone even get close enough to threaten one of the Great One's records? Well for the Great 8, it's been about consistency. Across 18 NHL seasons Ovechkin has been as consistent of an elite goal scorer as the game has ever seen. Apart from slight dips in production during the 2010-2011 and 2016-2017 seasons, Ovechkin has scored at least a half goal per game in every other season of his career. That's 16 seasons worth of elite goal scoring. With at least 94 more goals required to tie the record, this could however be the story of what-ifs. Alex Ovechkin has lost the opportunity to play multiple season's worth of games due to multiple lockouts and the Covid pandemic, valuable games gone in the race to match Gretzky.

[Image: YZjkK9Q.png] [Image: zmWhIQu.png]

As someone who did not grow up in a country that had any interest or any sort of hockey programme at all my knowledge outside of the team I support is pretty non existent. When I moved to Vancouver from New Zealand in 2010 I probably would not have even become interested if it was not for that fateful run by the Canucks to the finals. However everyone knows who Wayne Gretzky is and I think it is absolutely ridiculous how even now how far ahead of every other person who has graced the game over the course of it's history. Which is what makes it so remarkable that there is a very solid chance that Alexander Ovechkin will go on to beat his goal record. Arguably it makes Gretzky's effort seem tame as the eras of hockey are completely different and how much more professional and regimented the game is now compared to when 99 played.

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]

Player prompt

Today’s topic of discussion will be the battle foremost prolific SHL shot blocker, and the paths the two juggernauts at the top took to get there. Currently Mathias Seger holds the SHL record for most blocked shots with 2779. From S53 onward Seger played 12 seasons in the SHL primarily for the Minnesota Monarchs, although he did have a brief stint in LA for two seasons. Over that time, Seger averaged just over 200 blocks a season, cementing himself as a force in the league. Just behind Seger, and likely to catch him should he play another season, SHL ironman Slip McGruff has 2773 career blocks. McGruff has been more of a journeyman, playing for Winnepeg, New Orleans, LA, and most recently Baltimore over his 21seasons in the SHL Since S53, McGruff has averaged 159 blocks per season, and should he decide to return for a 22nd year will likely take the crown as the player with the most blocked shots in SHL history. Regardless of who holds the crown, it’s nice to celebrate the hard work of these two legends putting their bodies on the line for their teams.

PLAYER PROMPT

I selfishly think that records add another dimension to the league which make it worth sticking around as an individual.  I appreciate all the effort put into manually tracking certain records and the analytics tool for poking around.

My player is historically important because of how much history he has seen.  He should have the shots blocked record by now since the folks ahead are all inactive and only had a small margin going into this season.  I may break into the top 5 for hits, but I don't think I can catch Kvalheim who is still active.  I own two franchise records for Winnipeg (hits and blocks) even with the storied history of the team.

However, much of that comes from pure stubbornness.  I learned today that I am 3rd all time for games played (assuming regular season only).  I think I've only made the final once and, unless a miracle happens, I don't think I will pick up a Challenge Cup before I get too old for someone to roster me.  I've only ever had a single nomination for a player award and did not win it.  I have just played a lot of games, some of it at a 2k peak level.

I would love to make it into the hall of fame, but I don't know that staying power will be enough.  At this point, I should do some research to find out how close I am to the actual record for most games played and how far behind me the next active players are (after Kvalheim).

[Image: scrufdaddy2.gif]
credit to Flappy, ToeDragon, and Carpy

Patriotes Stars Panthers Platoon Specters Platoon Panthers Specters Aurora Jets Usa Scarecrows

[Image: Tqabyfh.png][Image: UDyqktK.png][Image: 1DL5JDX.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2022, 03:08 AM by blakec1414. Edited 1 time in total.)

[Image: kezia-it-was-in.png]
Hockey prompt

3 mins late but my computer is slow, pls be nice

[Image: kezia-elk4-smol.png]
sig by me (:

Kezia MacKenzie - LW - Regina Elk - Atlanta Inferno

playerprompt

ok so one of the first things you gotta know is that the only important stat in any kind of history is in american history where all of the miscorrections and inconsistencies of the hydra heads of the many nations of the world cannot influence the absolute truth of the greatness of the american people the second thing you gotta know is that the top three most important stats to track is firstly goals cause putting away the disk is the number one way to earn cash money second most important is hitting cause if you arent hitting in hockey youre a tiny babby johnny gaudreau and who would ever want that thirdly the most important stat to track is pims in a single game cause the true heroes and the absolute best players to get a beer with are the ones with the story about how they put up a big 22 on the pim column for elbowing johnny gaudreau