Create Account

S68 PT #4: Historian Due: December 18th @ 11:59 PM (PST)
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2022, 10:38 PM by MikeLiut.)

Not an actual SHL record, but one in the making.

Ekaterina Valieva was destined to become an Olympic athlete. When they kicked her out of the Weightlifting national team and had her medals taken away, she wanted to be known for something else. She began to play hockey, but was not the best player on her team. 

She wanted to be in the history books, so she announced to her parents she wanted to set a new record for the longest bus ride in a season in Russia. She knew that her team travelled a lot by bus to games and tournaments, and she figured that if she rode the bus for every trip, she could add up an impressive number of kilometres. From Moscow to Kamchatka (thanks Risk!), she packed her bags and hopped on the team bus for road trips all season. She endured cold weather, bumpy roads, and cramped seats, all in the name of setting a new record.

As the season went on, Ekaterina's teammates started to take notice of her dedication. Some of them even started to root for her and cheer her on as she racked up more and more miles. By the end of the season, she only played 4 games (arriving late for most of them), and gained weight by eating an impressive amount of junk food, but Ekaterina had set a new record for the longest bus ride in a season. Even though she was still a minor league player, Ekaterina had achieved something truly remarkable and memorable, and her record still exists today.

She is trying to do the same this season in Kelowna. She is driving when possible to away games: Yukon, Vancouver, Regina...  It might explain her disappointing season so far.

[Image: L0LzqAp.png]

[Image: greg.png?ex=656fa055&is=655d2b55&hm=c3f3...f36747c30&]

Creative Prompt

My favourite obscure moment in SHL history would probably be the J's Vancouver Whalers in their S57 Cinderella season. With the team losing nine players and their head GM coming off a Cup run, as well as mortgaging a significant amount of draft capital to get it done, there weren't too many expectations this season. What ended up happening was one of the weirdest seasons I've ever been a part of (as the newly minted head GM). The Whalers had one of the best top lines in the entire league in Valtteri Kauppinen, Rikki Petrov and KnockedOut ByOvechkin, and those three backed up by Johnny Shuffleboard and Sarah Burke were a lethal top power-play unit. Depth could sometimes be lacking, but an all-DFA line of Alexis Saint-Michel, Robert EO Speedwagon and Eoin Byrne did pretty well as young players to augment the lineup. Where this team shone was just how clutch they were. The team went 9-6 in games that went past regulation, including being 5-2 at 3-on-3 play. Anecdotally, I think there were like four or five games on top of that where the Whalers scored a goal in the final minute to win, usually on the power play. In the playoffs, the clutchness continued as the Whalers beat Nevada in five and then Detroit in four to roll to the semifinals. Valtteri Kauppinen in particular had the playoff run of his life with 11 goals and 20 points in just 14 games, including a 7-point performance against Detroit that if I am correct is still a SMJHL record. The luck ran out when the team couldn't solve Strom Chamberlain in the semifinals, but it was still a thrilling ride.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

I would like to talk about a NHL record by the games biggest player ever, Wayne Gretzky. The NHL all time goal scoring record sits at 894 and there is currently one active player that is closing in on this record, Alex Ovechkin. Will he break it?

As of last night, Alex Ovechkin now has 797 goals scored in his career. He's only 3 short of 800 and 98 short of breaking the record. This season Alex Ovechkin is scoring goals at a 0.57 goals per game pace (47/season). If he continues this trend he would need to play another 172 games to hit the 895 goals milestone and still have a time left on his current contract. If Alex Ovechkin ends up playing the remainder of his contract he would only need to score 23 goals per season to break the record.

I don't think it will be a question of will he break it, but when.

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

Player Prompt:

I think there needs to be more work done to expand luke's idea of putting together a composite accomplishment score like this. I think what's lost on people, especially when looking into the distant past of the league is the accumulated accomplishments of various players. Sure, you can look at the award list and see Player A won a Mexico here and a Dar here, but it doesn't really add up in your mind - or you may miss something. Creating a comprehensive database - that is regularly updated- that shows the accomplishments of players should be a league goal. It would help with Hall of Fame voting and justification, it would give transparency to the best players in league history (especially for newbies), and it would just be straight up cool. I've been here almost two years and I still don't know who the better players of the past are. I'd like to see this area of the SHL history site expanded.

[Image: DqlVneu.png][Image: FVlMRDN.png][Image: q30YniK.png]

Credit to enigmatic, Merica, and tweedledunn for sigs

ph

[Image: manh_sig6.png?width=499&height=542][Image: lebedev-sig.gif]

[Image: noodlecrease.jpg?width=788&height=591]

[Image: source.gif]
[Image: image.png]

Written Task:
So the lame goal scoring record and maybe even the points record are probably gonna be beaten this season but you know what the cool and important record that might be broken? Plus/minus. Way more important than boring goals. My player Jay O'Neil is gunning for the record at +73 held by Chicago legend Disisde Dayudie in S59. Currently at +65 with 12 games left in the season (we'll know before this Prompt is due but I don't want to write late in the week) Jay has a good shot at it. Interestingly enough Jay has to face the always top of the league and team where the current record come from Chicago 3 more times in those 12 games to clinch it. Winning this will help prove that Jay O'Neil deserves a Bojo award for the league best defensive defenseman instead of whatever defender gets the most blocks every season. Jay has showed that when he's on the ice, the other team is shutdown and can't even think about scoring.

[Image: riU14F5.gif]

[img=0x0]https://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/sburbine.gif[/img]

Code:
HOCKEY PROMPT- This is going to be a very similar prompt, but I wanted to give people that have a lot of real life hockey knowledge a chance to flex too.

Written Task:  What is the most interesting thing about real world hockey history to you, and why? Is there a particular player, team, or record that you find fascinating? Is there an unknown hockey fact that you feel like more people should know? OR maybe there's a current player that's gunning for a record that you'd like to talk about! I don't know! Go crazy! I just want to learn cool hockey history. (150+ words)

I think at this point it is common knowledge that among the Greatest of All Time conversation, the name of Mario Lemieux (or dubbed Mario le Magnifique) is very often if not always in it. I have a personal bias towards it, being both a french-canadian and a pens fan. That being said, this one statistic really cemented how dominant of a player he was, on top of many other incredible feats - let's not forget he kicked cancers butt and came out of retirement to have an insane almost 2 PPG season. In 83-84, during his final year of junior hockey with the Laval Voisins, Lemieux would put up a record high 282 points in 70 games..... yes, a 4 point per game season. That to me is so incredibly ludicrous, moreso that he's 31 points clear of the second best season, and 48 clear of the third which belongs to the all-time Pat Lalalalalafontaine. Insane.

[Image: image.png]  [Image: lap-teamsig.png]
@jason kranz sig elite / @sulovilen elite sig
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png] [Image: G1cbXSf.png] [Image: gdppv5N.png]
Panthers Ireland Highlanders

Making this felt like blasphemy

[Image: FCESQJB.png]

[Image: sigrotator123.gif]
 [Image: UEX4RCQ.png]  [Image: PHI-pepe2.png]  [Image: r2pSvNf.png]
Special thanks to Carpy48, Ragnar, Merica, High Stick King, Sulovilen, sothfacekilla, enigmatic and LeSizz for the signatures!

Hockey Prompt:

So sadly, I don't really know a whole lot about hockey history. I enjoyed the Hurricanes' cup run back in 2006 when I was younger, but even then I didn't really get into it hockey and start following the team and sport as a whole until around 2014. One thing I will talk about is just how incredible the Gretzky era Edmonton Oilers were. I mean every single sports fan, hockey or not, knows who Wayne Gretzky is. There's a lot of talk about "oh would he be as good today as he was back then?" Absolutely not, of course not. The sport changes so much every few years. However, I do believe he would still be an absolute powerhouse in the league, easily among the big names around the league. It's not just a good player that wins a team a Stanley Cup. There's leadership involved with him that would help any team that he's on if he were to be around to play today at his prime age in the 80's

WC 182

[Image: lPQWyve.png?ex=662bf46d&is=66197f6d&hm=a...dd3527ca4&]

Read, Fool, Read!

[Image: Videl_Pt4.png]

[Image: ljefVAX.png]
[Image: Wf5B9wj.png]

Code:
HOCKEY PROMPT- This is going to be a very similar prompt, but I wanted to give people that have a lot of real life hockey knowledge a chance to flex too.

Written Task:  What is the most interesting thing about real world hockey history to you, and why? Is there a particular player, team, or record that you find fascinating? Is there an unknown hockey fact that you feel like more people should know? OR maybe there's a current player that's gunning for a record that you'd like to talk about! I don't know! Go crazy! I just want to learn cool hockey history. (150+ words)

My favorite player growing up was Patrick Roy. He is the reason I played hockey and strove so hard to become the best goalie I could be. He is widely considered one of the best goalies in NHL history, but I argue hard that he is without a doubt the greatest to ever play. Not only did he change the way the goaltending position is played, but his numbers in the postseason are just so incredibly insane that I believe it seals the argument. First of all, his changing the way the position is played by perfecting the art of the butterfly style is an incredible accomplishment. That alone would have landed him in the hall of fame, but take a look at this. He is top 10 in save percentage, goals against average and shutouts. All amazing accomplishments. The crazy one is his wins. He has 151 wins in the postseason. One of the biggest competitors to him for best goalie of all time, Martin Brodeur has 113. In order to just tie Roy in the quickest time possible he would need to win 2 cups and then 2 more games the next postseason. It is, in my opinion, the equivalent of Wayne Gretzky’s record for points. Something that is nearly impossible to get to.

216 words

[Image: m59RPb7.png] | [Image: FcWmVTl.png]

S61 Four Star Cup - Game-Winning Goal in the clinching Game 4
[Image: unknown.png]

[Image: efischermann.gif]

Player Prompt

I'll just take the prompt and write about my own player because it's so easy this time. When I started out I looked at records and thought those were impossible to break or you had to be crazy to stick around so long so you could break them. As of now my player was the first goalie ever to get to 2000 TPE (crazy to think nobody did that before) and currently holds most goalie records in the SHL (most games played, most wins, most shutouts, probably most losses, I didn't track that one). Definitely not best career SV% or GAA, but you'd have to be on a winning team all the time for that and I wasn't. How did I manage that? Always being active, trying to max earn and simply one thing: longevity. And going through different sim engines (STHS, FM6, FHM8) and whatever came with it – playing longer seasons than older goalies certainly helped too. No other secrets there. But one thing I know, I wouldn’t do it again.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

First of all, who is this "legendary author"? Did we have a background check on this dude? Or is he someone just trying to get a few stories out of Jay Cue to become rich? Let's have a signed contract with 95% of the proceedings getting into Cue's account first, please.
So, if you want a bit of history, what better way to get into it than the old famous Cue Curse (Trademarked brand)? Want to know what is this about? It is pretty simple, any sim league team (SHL/ISFL/PBE/SFL, etc) that had Cue on its roster, no matter how good (or how bad) it was, meant that they would never get a playoff win, nevermind a championship ring. And where did that curse came to an end? You are right, it was here in the SHL, when the Atlanta Inferno won a ring a couple seasons ago.
Now this is something interesting to write about.

(159 words)