Create Account

S68 PT #4: Historian Due: December 18th @ 11:59 PM (PST)

ISFL PT

[Image: bgwUtVZ.png]

Most interesting thing about real hockey has to just be the sheer dominance Gretzky had over everyone. I think when realizing that he could have scored 0 goals in his entire career and he still would be the NHL’s leader in points all time goes to show how dominant he was over his peers. Even when looking at individual records. 92 goals in a single season? 163 assists in a single season? 215 points in a single season? The guy had 4 200+ point seasons in his career, the numbers are absolutely insane.

Now, that being said, I do believe he’s going to have one of his records broken, and that is most goals all time. Ovechkin scored a hat trick yesterday and got 800 career goals, making him less than 100 goals away to beating the record. I do believe Gretzky is an outstanding player, but Ovechkin is going to break his goals record. Even if he doesn’t, I still believe Ovi is the greatest goalscorer in NHL history. I

[Image: Otrebor13.gif]

[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]  [Image: gdppv5N.png]

My favorite hockey record is Gretzky's stranglehold on the all-time points record. Even if you aren't a hockey fan, many people will have heard Gretzky's name and have a decent idea that he was the best player of all time or have a comparison to Michael Jordan. However, when listing off some of his accomplishments and the records he holds, some people don't truly appreciate how good he was relative to every other player. Gretzky has a career point total of 2,857 with 1,963 assists and 894 goals. In second place behind him is the great Mark Messier, with a career point total of 1,887. If you remove every goal Gretzky scored in his career, he would still be the all-time point leader in the history of the NHL. The fact you can remove a third of his overall point total and that he still tops 2nd place is a testament to how dominant of a player he was and should be considered the greatest hockey player of all time.

[Image: MMCPaEg.png]

[Image: kcP9WEd.png] [Image: DNLeeu0.png][Image: eP8F2Ne.png]

[Image: 6Fd5gtC.png]

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

PT Pass

[Image: BoucherFan12.gif]

[Image: benzeev.gif]

06-11-2021, 05:33 PMKenitohMenara Wrote: [Image: BLUE.jpeg]
Welcome to the hall, Ben!

I think the NHL history fact I find most interesting is that Wayne Gretzky almost went to the Vancouver Canucks in 97 or 98 but the deal allegedly fell apart at the last second. The Canucks and Gretzky's management team had agreed to a deal in principle. The only thing left to complete was to get Wayne to sign the contract and then the deal would be done and the Canucks would add Gretzky to the team that had made it to Game 7 of the 1994 finals but had fallen hard since then. Unfortunately, the Canucks ownership group allegedly pushed for the contract to be agreed to by Gretzky that night, even though it was around midnight or 1am at this time. Gretzky has given direction to his management team that he was not to be disturbed until morning. The Canucks continued to push for a signature that night and it pissed Gretzky off enough that he pulled out of the deal and signed in St Louis.

The Canucks then turned around and signed a different former Oiler to their team and we all know how that turned out. Muck Fessier!

[Image: %3E%5Balign=center%5D]
Aurora Winnipeg Aurora Aurora

Fileworker PT Pass

[Image: RichSHL.gif]
Thanks to sulovilen for the sigs!
Adam Prpich Portal Link

Check out past episodes of Rich and Luke!

I would like to take this opportunity to talk about one of the greatest players to ever lace them up for the great nation of Finland: Esa Anrikkanen. Esa played for Finland for the first time in S22 and immediately made an impact as a point-per-game player in that first season, notching 10 points in as many games in the Round Robin. Esa then went on to play for the IIHF Finland team for twenty-four seasons. Even by SHL standards, that is a long career, and for IIHF it's even crazier to see that number today, where people will play for Finland for maybe 10-12 seasons during their prime. Over such a long career, Esa won two gold medals, first in S30 and then again in S37, the only two gold medals for Finland before the recent era. Add to that three silver and three bronze for quite the hardware collection. Individually, Esa's combination of longetivity and skill are the reason we see that name at the top of the Career Goals, Assists, Points and Shots for IIHF.

[Image: lespoils.gif]

The records(s) I'm choosing to talk about is are all based off of Maine Timber's playoff run last season, not only because it was an important time for myself and Egli but the SMJHL as a whole. 
After our championship run last season I was kind of shocked to find that no team under third seed had ever won a Four Star Cup. This means that no team that hadn't won their division managed to go on a run to the final. This also means that no team had played all four rounds of the playoffs and won. Until the Maine Timber came along, playing more playoff games than any other championship team.
Other than being a miracle run to the cup this shows how little parity the J has, usually the top teams are the only ones that have a chance to win. Now, how to fix it? I have no idea. But it was a hella fun season and I would love to see more teams go on runs like that.

[Image: FG1uDPY.png][Image: QAcQptc.png]

I think what should be a mainstay in the SHL history book was the culture change in the S20's. During that time there was a pretty shadow group that was running the site. They were called CREW. CREW in S19 allowed a lot of people in. However with all of those people they started to break rank and CREW started to dissolve. This allowed new people to take over both in HO as well as become GM's of teams. This culture change continued in the S20's with the rise of the renegoons. These players banded together in Texas and were quite a rowdy bunch. Many of them had never had a GM job or HO job at that point and definitely were feeling a bit on the outside of CREW. However with the dissbandment of CREW, they gained notoriety and became a place of highly active players. However this was a shot lived rise of power as players started to get in trouble with the league and were getting in trouble. This lead to the lowering of their activity and that team falling apart. This really opened up the league and allowed the diversity that you see now to thrive

[Image: andyj18.gif]

[Image: andybj18.gif]

[Image: pawter_meowski.png]

HOCKEY PROMPT-

The most interesting hockey fact to me and a lot of Quebeckers is the legend of Maruice Richard. Everyone knows him as the best goal scorer of an ERA, but not everyone knows or can fully measure the impact a single player has had on a society. For some context, anglophone and francophone relationship in Quebec has always been a dividing subject, the richer citizens of the province being english and the french being the submissive workforce. Things were changing and hockey was a catalyst of the division but also a direct showing that anglos and francos can be good friends (players in the team, fans united in fandom etc). Now, with Maurice Richard there was the "Richard Riots" where Maurice was suspended for punching a referee while said referee was holding him in a violent beating by the opposite team. This happening put the whole fandom in a situation of "us vs them"; parrallel to what the real life tensions were at the time. This is a part of the context.

But my favorite fact is specifically that day when the Rocket would help his familly member move his home, moving the heavy stuff and being worn out before the game even started. Note that most athletes like Maurice had other jobs at the time and didn't focus their day around hockey which is also a crazy fact on how sports changed across the decades. but the Rocket despite the moving and asking coach to bench him out as he's tired, goes on to score 5 goals and 3 assists for a record of 8 points in a single game. Holy Moly how do you do that! Willpower and dedication beyond human levels thats how.

Character Page RD- Quarterback
[Image: micool132.gif]

Retired players:
-Toki Wartooth
-Nathan Explosion btw
-Angus McFife XVIII

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

HOCKEY PROMPT

I admittedly know almost nothing about SHL history and I really don't care enough about stats or history to delve deeply into it. Unfortunately I may know even less about real hockey because I've never been much into hockey in general. I really only came to the SHL because of the people and the community so I'll just talk about what I know from what SchwarzNarr has told me. That is all about the Red Wings. Much like many other Detroit sports teams, the Red Wings used to be really good. They're a long, storied franchise filled with success that has really fallen off here lately. They haven't qualified for the playoffs in six seasons and haven't had a finished above third in their conference since 2010. It hard to say what really caused this collapse but it is interesting to note that it has happened before. First in the 40s and then again in the 60s. The last dip lasted almost 20 years before the Red Wings bounced back and played dominant hockey again. What is curious about it is that other Detroit sports also have had similar peaks and then drops. Much like the motor city itself, their teams seem to have both success and failure in waves that can last decades.

[img=0x0]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/819596167843151906/843586092388057098/De_pengu_logo_2.png[/img]

Player Prompt

I’d like to take this opportunity to discuss how cool @hotdog is. This is a post of my own free will and not because he’s holding a knife to my back. Hotdog is one of the coolest GMs in this league who has managed to build such an impressive team and win a title without having to really sell out on fun or anything to do so. Just look at the Atlanta locker room on game days. It's just drunkenly shouting about piss or the Grinch while we half pay attention to the game going on at the same time. When we won the cup he had us chanting rhymes about my friends bladder status and shouting about how we’re gonna win the cup. And we did it. He might have his weird little otter quirks but that’s why we love him and we always will love him. Love you hotdoog, thank you for drafting me all those years ago <3

[Image: S38oOt3.png][Image: of1yZSs.png]
[Image: JzmdDrE.png]

Well I going to to talk to voiceless because they helped me get our first 4 star cup here on the smjhl. I think that any first really is what I'm trying to say because it feels awesome and it helps your confidence as a player. I want to help those as well that help on there teams to get the win for your team when they need it. I want to win all the time now because this is awesome and could help my own team because I'm a very confident person in myself to pull stuff like that off. I want there to be a reason for players to make more players I think that I helped a lot if players make players to be a lot like myself. I think that I want to be known for what I did and want to be known as a hall of famer. 
 155 words

Hockey Prompt:

I always marvel at some of the stats that Wayne Gretzky put up during his time in the NHL. We all know how good he was and that he put up insane numbers, but I'm not so sure most people have actually looked at the numbers to see just how ridiculous he was. There are two numbers that pop out to me in particular and both show just how amazing of a set-up man Gretzky really was.

The first one is that in the 1985-1986 NHL season, Gretzky put up a whopping 163 ASSISTS in a season. To put that in perspective, if he didn't even score a goal in that season, it would have been the 10th highest scoring season by a player in NHL history. In fact, only one other player has ever gotten more than 163 points in a season. That would be Mario Lemieux, who finished over 163 points twice.

The second stat also relates to assists. Gretzky finished his career with 1963 assists. Once again, if Wayne Gretzky never scored a goal in his entire NHL career he would still be the NHL's all time leader in points. This man has more assists than every player in NHL history has had points in their career.

This man was a monster and the absolute G.O.A.T in hockey.

(221 words)

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 76
33-12-1
Regular Season - [G 6] [A 8] [Pts 14] [+/- +25] [PIM 30] [Hits 22] [SB 87]

[Image: ERs3IrD.png]