Create Account

S68 SMJHL PT #5 - MVP

It's really very difficult to point at anyone except Alex Piastri as the frontrunner for league MVP. The man is closer to a goal per game than I've ever seen a juniors player come. 54 in 59 is Hall of Fame offensive production, and that's without accounting for the 39 apples he's piled on top of his goals. 93 points in 54 games? Who's taking league MVP away from this guy?
His only competition from the center ice position is Bnana NWaffles, whose offensive production has been absurd in its own right. 48-42-90 in 59 is a legendary stat line all on its own and would lead the league in most seasons that don't include Alex Piastri. However, even if you think a three point margin is too close to call, or put stock in advanced stats telling us that NWaffles is the slightly better offensive playdriver of the two, you still have to account for even those stats admitting that Piastri is much stronger on the defensive side of the puck. 
A dark horse forward competitor could come in from the right wing. I have a slightly controversial pick here: Nibbles the Squirrel. 21-42-62 in 60 games played is over a point per game, putting him in the all-star conversation, but what could sneak him into league MVP discussion is a level of defensive prowess rarely seen in forwards at this level. Analytics shows him as the second best defensive skater in the league, a tally that includes the league's defensemen! A kid who puts up over a point per game while still out-defending the defensemen surely deserves some consideration here.
Unfortunately no goalies jump out as deserving consideration above these players. No tendie has taken over the league this season, or been able to even slow down the likes of the three forwards mentioned above. Maybe next time, goalie bros.

[Image: zN6tB52.png]

My vote for MVP for SMJHL season 68 MVP was a hard decision as there a several fine players who could be considered for the MVP of the league. Although after a through review of the data: shots, hits, assists, turn overs, take aways, etc... In addition to much philosophical debate as to what make a great player. One conclusion could be made someone who just scores goals cannot represent the MVP due to the indivuid selfishness that usually comes along with that title. You also have to eliminate the league leader for plus minus as that only means they are on the ice with great players. Now a goal tender can have all the attributes of the league MVP although I choose not to pick one. The player that I would consider for the league MVP would have to the one and only Maine Timber terror Mr. Daniel Swift, the goon of goons. Who else would you expect me to pick.

Words ~160

[Image: bonk.gif]
Sigs by @FlappyGiraffe,  @Steelhead77,  @ToeDragon84, @slothfacekilla, @Wasty and other dude I need to find your name

Lil' Manius

Big Manius

stats losers and nerds will tell you that he's barely in the ROTY race, but when you truly dive into the advanced stats, you can see that e e has put up a monstrous performance this year. With a shocking e/60 value of 60, yes thats right SIXTY e. Compare this to other 'mvp contenders' such as that fraud Alexi Piastri, who has a measly e/60 value of 5.45, less than a tenth of what e e is playing at. While Piastri may have counting stats such as 'goals' and 'assists' and 'points', it is safe to say that Regina's rookie e e has been tilting the ice in a way that no other player has since, well, ever. Truly a generational player, and definitely the steal of the draft, I believe e e should sweep the smjhl awards this season, with no foreseeable end to his dominance.

[Image: sig-e-e-geck-atl.png]

e

Well first and foremost for MVP you have to say Alexi Piastri of the Nevada Battleborn as the #1 candidate at the moment. The #2 candidate is obviously Hirano because of that golden smile. The smile is all that matters. It amps up the team with that goofy smile and that’s why the timber are running for a playoff spot as we speak! I guess you could say alexi piastri has alot of goals and points sure but does that boost the teams morale as good as Damien hiranos smile? I don’t think so. But this is hockey and well those small things don’t get noticed in the league so at the end of the day alexi piastri is probably going to win the trophy anyway so don’t be surprised. 100 points? Really absolutely bonkers. He cherry picks every game so I didn’t really think anyone else would win anyway it’s a terrible way to play the game but it’s worked for him. Cheers to cherry picker alexi piastri!

180 words

Obviously it's me for mvp cuz I'm the fucking goat I even banished mike izzy to the shadow realm with my witchart and superior knitting skills. HVe u guys ever seen something this gifted or touched a dog with ur bug tie bet u can't even say Santa Claus cuz. Catch me outside sipping ttlonel with big fucking cocks. I am a salamander It's never a fun time even if u pet puppies with a nine iron in the back of a sonata fae
Listen cuz foreal it's all about the nookie so u can take that cookie and stick it up ya stick it up ur ya you get the picture my man. Keep coming at my neck and ull get stuck with the bill primitive 99 AKA me is the mvp or maybe rush justice but that's it no one else maybe my dad but he's a drunk so idk. Maybe the Mormons can come run sit with Joseph Smith at point guard and Shaq at center

[Image: Fitted_3.png]

2x 4Star Cup Champ s49 s50

1x commissioners excellence award s 50

For me there is only one real option for the SMJHL MVP and that is Jeff Newman of some red bird team I don't know. But in the end of the day teams need to win games and with Jeff Newman in between the sticks his team does that more than anyone else. This season he has a fucking massive pile of 49 wins which is so far ahead of Dexter Harrison in 2nd place on 33 wins and in 3rd place is August Von Hecht on 30 wins. After that it is in the 20s and just goes further downhill. On top of all of this you can see things like Goals Against Average and Jeff Newman is basically tied with 1st at the top of the board and with Goals Saved Above Average he is right at the top of that board also with a nice 69.08. So for me the MVP has to go to Jeff.

[Image: hopoate.png]

I only see a couple of players worthy of involvement in the MVP conversation for this season. The first is Alexi Piastri; 60 goals and 43 assists is absolutely bonkers, and would be worthy of consideration for the title even if he did little to nothing else of value for the season. Second option is going to be Dominik Froste- aside from having 63 assists and another 29 goals, which was good for 3rd in the J for points, he's also had an absolutely fantastic 209 hits for the season, good for second in the league. I don't have any defensemen in mind who should be considered for the nod, but Detroit goaltender Jeff Newman should be the third MVP candidate- aside from having 16 more wins than any other goalie (nearly 50% more wins than the next highest player), he also had the second best GAA, the most goals saved above average, the second best save percentage and five shutouts.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

I guess i'll be boring and go for Alexi Piastri of the Nevada Battlenborn who is the top scorer of the league. Almost a goal per game is cool, adding on 43 assists to get to 103 points in 66 games is cooler. Decent amount of both blocks and hits as well, 58 blocks is good and 97 hits is okay too. Face off percentage at 53.6 is cool as well. What else then? I guess we can take some other stats. Like +41 in plus minus. far from the best but they also dont play on a team that was +182 like Detroit was, so that can definitely be forgiven. 37 PIMs indicates that they have fought, sadly they lost that one. Shame, minus points. Tied for 2nd in PP goals. Most shots in the league. Also more Give Aways than Take Aways, another small minus. I guess that's enough? I guess that's my MVP.

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

The name on everyone's mind for MVP, and rightfully so, is Alex Piastri. He put up an amazing 60 goals and 43 assists giving him the league lead in both goals and points. Nevada are an incredible team but he's a big factor in that. Credit must also be given to Dominik Froste. While he didn't put as many goals in, he led the league in assists and is third in points. I think Bnana Waffles also deserves a nod for Detroit, but if you look at the leaderboards it's a lot of Detroit players. It's pretty remarkable just how much talent they have but that only makes a stronger case for Piastri in my opinion. If you take away Waffles or Jarovsky, Detroit are probably still a dominant team, but if you take away Piastri, Nevada might be in a much worse spot. I wouldn't say it's a lock just yet but I'd be surprised if he didn't get it.

[Image: ashford.png]

Whalers
[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]

Renegades  raiders  Finland

I'm going to look at a player at forward, defense, goalie

Forward: Alex Piastri Battleborn
I tend to put more value in goals than assists, and Piastri led the league with 60. The center also led the league in shots, and was no slouch in the hit department with 97.

Defense: Jonathan Mercer Scarecrows
Not only did Jonathan Mercer put up a high amount of points in the regular season, he finished with over 100 shot blocks and hits. Further, a FF% of 10 led the league, meaning when Mercer was on the ice, St. Louis saw the puck go the other way more often than not.

Goalie: Jeff Newman Falcons
The Falcons were far and away the best team this season. It might be unorthodox to put so much value in the goaltender when the roster is this good, but I think Newman deserves a lot of credit, considering he led all starters in SV%. A record of 49-9-0 is incredible, even if the goalie is just a part.

[Image: 9ZNnX19.png]

Canada | Player Page | Grizzlies | Player Updates | Inferno

I see a lot of people choosing Alexi Piastri for this writing assignment. This is typicall behavior of the SHL. The guy with the most points must be the MVP. It never changes. Nuance and deep thinking have never been cornerstones of the league, that's for sure.

A deeper and more well rounded analysis leads to another choice. Jarrod Lakemore of the St. Louis Scarecrows is the clear choice. He is fourth overall in the points race with twenty five goals and sixty one assists. Where he shines compared to the other top scorers is on the defensive side of the puck.

Lakemore has an excellent giveaway to takeaway ratio, one of the best in the league. He is the most important part of their penalty kill squad, playing a large number of minutes there.

Lakemore is one of the best faceoff men in the league, winning possession for his team at an astounding rate. He is a physical player that blocks shots and dishes out checks all over the ice

Plenty of dudes score. Its easy to concentrate on just goal scoring. It turns everyone's heads and draws attention. It has always been a surefire way to win awards in the SHL. This is lowest common denominator thinking and does not speak well to our members understanding of what wins games and what is truly valuable on the ice.

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]

I think without a doubt the players who are in the running for league MVP are the players who have the most points and I will now list them and talk about them.

Alexi Piastri
When I look at a player like Alexi, i say "wow, that player sure has the most points of any other player". And sure, it's a little on the nose. but it's true. Piastri executes at every end of the ice, from power play to penalty kill. They have an astounding 22 minutes a night for a forward. I dont know if ive seen a junior player with over 100 points.

Bnana NWaffles
Bnana has the unfortunate quality of having played for detroit, but with less help than Piastri appears to have had. The kicker on this one is that Banana doesnt play much on the PK, making them less of a contender for MVP. With only a handful fewer goals and points than Piastri, one can only wonder what mightve been if Bnana had been able to put up more shots, with an astounding 24% of their shots being goals.

Lastly and most leastly is
John Brown
John Brown is based. And union-pilled, even. No other player in the league plays more minutes than John Brown and for good reason. Brown has 81 take-aways and only 9 give-aways, the only player with fewer than 10 give-aways in the top 20 take-away leaders. I think Brown deserves MVP the mostest.

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

Last season, the awards committee nominated two forwards and one defenseman for the Ideen Fallah Trophy, which goes to the Most Valuable Player of the SMJHL. Below are my projected nominees for the 68th season, and the arguments for each of their nominations.

Bnana NWaffles Falcons
Last season, NWaffles led the league in goals during the regular season on their way to this very same nomination and ultimately emerged as the MVP. This season, NWaffles' last, they helped lead the Detroit Falcons to the Laurifer Trophy with the best regular season record, scoring 52 goals and 48 assists.
Alexi Piastri Battleborn
Season 67 was just Piastri's third season in the SMJHL, and much like NWaffles last season has completely broken out into their final form. Alexi led the league in both goals and points on the road to a division-topping performance by the Nevada Battleborn.
Torsten Eriksen Kraken
Eriksen led the way for a stacked Carolina defensive core, as the team secured a first-round bye from winning their division. Torsten finished with 17 goals and 38 assists, leading the league in points for defensemen.

This year there are two players that really stand out but I think there is a very clear winner of the MVP race.  Alexi Piastri and Bnana NWaffles both had amazing seasons by eclipsing the 100 point mark.  This is very difficult to do however one player played on the best team by far in Detroit meaning he had a lot of talent around him to help with his assist numbers as well as getting him the puck in scoring situations.  For this reason, I would have to give the clear nod to Alexi Piastri who was far and away the most dominate player in the league this year.  I think he will easily win this award.  If we are going to look outside of skaters, you could easily make the arguement for Jeff Newman who had an incredible season in goal but he again had the luck of playing behind an amazing team which definitely helps his numbers.

[Image: kpALfz6.jpg]
Gritty McGritterson Player Page
Gritty McGritterson Update Page

S53 Four Star Cup Champion- Detroit Falcons
S56 Challenge Cup Champion - Hamilton Steelhawks

MVP this and MVP that. All of these sim leagues are obsessed with who the most "valuable" player is but no one ever defines value. Want to know what is easier and should be a reform the league should considered immediately? MVS. Most. Valuable. Shark. It would be so much easier to determine who the most valuable is if you limit the pool of eligible candidates AND it just so happens that in this case there is only one (I think) Shark player in the SHL (majors or minors). Mr. Gray T. White has had an incredible season for the Nevada Battleborn. He's fifth on the team in terms of points - I have no clue what that means but it sure sounds impressive. He's not just putting up empty stats either, the Battleborn are the third best team in the league by record, indicating that Gray has been a strong player on a good team, making him the MVS.