Create Account

S68 SMJHL Postseason Bonanza

The S68 SMJHL Playoffs have begun, and it is time for Postseason Bonanza!

Wait! What's this?

Here's how PB will work: there are several tasks, each of which is worth varying amounts of TPE for putting in a little effort, for a maximum of 16 possible TPE total. You can complete them in any order and do as few or as many as you would like (up to 16 TPE of course). Recreates, you will find this slightly different than CW. 

No Word Count minimums 

We will still have an assortment of prompts available for you all, however there will not be a 50 word/100 word/150 word minimum anymore on tasks. Instead, we will have...

A Word Count to TPE Scale

For every 50 words you write about a prompt, you will earn 1 TPE. That scales on, so 100 words for 2 TPE, 150 words for 3 TPE, etc. For some reason if you wanted to 800 words about one prompt, that would be 16 TPE right then and there.

The graphics TPE scale has remained the same.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you can, please after every prompt you write about add a Word Count (ie. 159 words). This will greatly help the PT Team!

ONLY S68 SMJHL ROOKIES (S69 SHL DRAFTEES) CAN EARN TPE FOR CW TASKS. If you signed after the trade deadline and are going into the S69 SMJHL Draft, that's not you.

You may claim affiliation from an (one, 1) ISFL, PBE or SSL PT this season for a max of 3 TPE.

For those who have a CW pass that will apply for Postseason Bonanza. 

Deadline: Friday January 6th at 11:59PM PST

Without further ado, here are our prompts!

TEAM PROMPTS

Code:
1. Fan Appreciation Day
Your team is giving back to their supporters by holding a fan appreciation day for one of their games, where the team will hand out a special commemorative item to show thanks for their continued support of the franchise. You have been tasked to design the product to be given out to the attendees (can be a rally towel, foam finger, bobble head, etc.) Write a blurb about the item, including details on during which game was / will be given out.

Code:
2. Looking Towards the Future
As we near the end of S67, the SMJHL draft will be happening soon. Going into next season, what are your team's biggest needs and areas of strength? Do any holes need to be filled with call-ups? Do you have a position that is incredibly stacked? Give us all an overview of your team, from top to bottom.

Code:
3. Secret Plans
It’s never too early to start thinking about how you’re going to gain a competitive edge next season! How is your team going to go the extra mile to get wins next season? Is it a secret training regimen? Sneaky equipment modifications? Booby trapping the visiting teams’ locker room? Anything goes.

Code:
4. Funtimes
You have been designated as the team's official Fun Director! Now, everyone is looking for some sort of fun activity where you all can spend an afternoon or day to chill, hang out and build some team spirit. Especially after a long and stressful season, what are your plans to ensure everyone has a great time?

Code:
5. Superlatives
Every team will always have that really funny/annoying/quirky player and personality. However, usually they can be the ones that really make sure the team gels together nicely. Come up with yearbook style superlatives to describe some of your fellow teammates.

Code:
6. Team History
I know history isn't everyone's favorite thing to discuss, but a team's past can really define its identity, what its known for and who they are in the present. Tell us about your team's past! Have there been any franchise defining moments that are integral to your team or even SHL history? Conversely, is there some interesting tidbit that not many around the league know?

PLAYOFF PROMPTS

Code:
7. Four Star Showdown
At the end of the day, what we all really strive for is the Four Star Cup. It takes everyone's best efforts, an unrelenting determination to win and hard work to be able to hoist the glorious trophy. Out of the 12 teams in playoffs, who do you think will win the 4 Star Cup? Are you going for the clear favorites, or the underdogs? Give reasons to justify your prediction.

Code:
8. An Alternate Timeline
If you weren't playing for your current team, which team would you most like to be playing for in the playoffs.  Explain why you chose that team and how you think you'd slot into their roster.  Would your player make a big impact on the team?  Would you improve their chances of winning a cup?

Code:
9. What's in a Name?
A player name is the first of many steps that mark the start of a new SHL career. From meme names, real life references and parodies of hockey players, there are a wonderful assortment of names that can be found throughout the league. Which player(s) have the best name and why?

Code:
10. In the Zone
Some players are excellent in the regular season, however there are a certain few that really elevate their play in the playoffs. The pressure and the thought of winning it all really benefits some, while others just have that natural clutch factor, with a knack of showing up at the right times. Write about players who have been crucial to their team, or players that could be in contention for Playoffs MVP.

Code:
11. A 6 Star Show
Make a dream team of players from any team in the playoffs, with 3 forwards, 2 defenseman and a goalie, and give an explanation for each pick. It could be the best team ever, or alternative maybe the worst?

INDIVIDUAL PROMPTS

Code:
12. On the Radar
Write a pre-draft scout report on your player from the perspective of a journalist covering the prospects of the S68 SHL draft class. What do possible SHL suitors have to be excited (or perhaps wary?) about when it comes to potentially drafting your player?

Code:
13. Superstitious
In the NHL there’s a well known superstition that any team that touches their conference championship trophy won’t win the Stanley Cup. Are there any superstitions like that in the SMJHL playoffs? If so, what are they? Where do they come from? Does your player believe in them? Why or why not?

Code:
14. R&R
It's almost officially the offseason. Whether you just won the cup or didn't even make it past the first round of the playoffs, it's time to take a break and look toward the SHL draft. Tell us how you're spending your time this offseason, whether it be with family or friends.

Code:
15. Charity Drive
Professional hockey players are among the luckiest members of a community, but not everyone is given the same opportunities. As such, many players are expected to give back to the community by volunteering their time and energy off the ice with various charitable organizations. Write about a charity or event that your player helped out with.

Code:
16. Goals
Although your career may still be in its early stages, it's still a great time to think about the future. What are some goals you have for your career, or some personal goals for the site? Are you striving for a HOF induction? Getting a site job?

Code:
17. Feedback
It's the seasonal feedback PT! For recreates, how was doing this new version of CW compared to the old one? Was the experience better, or worse? How were the PT changes? For first gens, you can also talk about your experiences with PTs in general too this season!

Code:
18. Milestones COMING SOON
You will have the opportunity to cover up to 3/16 TPE with milestones relating to your player's performance/accolades during the season. Link your post in the Milestones thread and post your comment in your CW reply to claim. They will come soon!

GRAPHICS
*note* No changes have been made to the Graphics TPE scale

Code:
Fan Appreciation Day - 3 TPE
Your team is giving back to their supporters by holding a fan appreciation day for one of their games, where the team will hand out a special commemorative item to show thanks for their continued support of the franchise. You have been tasked to design the product to be given out to the attendees (can be a rally towel, foam finger, bobble head, etc.)
GRAPHIC:  Include a picture of the item and at least one SMJHL logo; must look like you at least kinda tried.

Code:
Front Cover - 3 TPE
Make a magazine cover featuring a player comparison from any series matchup. You can compare player stats, etc. or get creative and compare their pregame superstitions or whatever.
Requirements:
GRAPHIC: Two team logos, two player renders plus an article blurb or tagline.

Code:
Charity Drive - 3 TPE
Professional hockey players are among the luckiest members of a community, but not everyone is given the same opportunities. As such, many players are expected to give back to the community by volunteering their time and energy off the ice with various charitable organizations. Either write about a charity or event that your player helped out with, or create a flyer or invitation for your event, including team logo, a photo of your player render, and the charity/charities being supported by the event.
GRAPHIC: Include team logo, a photo of your player render, and the charity/charities being supported by the event

Code:
Spotlight - 3 TPE
The finals are always a great time for SHL hopefuls to get their name on the map. Make a hockey magazine cover regarding a specific player in the finals, either rookie or send-down, to hype them up.
GRAPHIC: A player render, the SMJHL logo of the team the player plays for (and/or SHL if they're a senddown), the name of the hockey magazine and a tagline about the player in question.

Once again, the deadline is Friday January 6th at 11:59PM PST

Let me know if you have any questions!

[Image: jay2233.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @High Stick King and @Maxy for the sigs!

Raptors Argonauts 
[Image: m59RPb7.png][Image: FcWmVTl.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2022, 09:42 PM by TheSparkyDee.)

CW pass - GM PASS

Drafted 2nd round 21st Pick by the Winnipeg Jets in S55 SHL Entry Draft 
GM of the UCORCAL in the WJC S55
S55 WJC Gold Medalist GM/Player for UCORCAL
Management Role for Russia in the IIHF
Recent Management Role / Head Coach for Winnipeg Aurora in SHL 
CO-GM St. Louis Scarecrows S57-S60
GM of the St. Louis Scarecrows S61-S72
S72 Challenge Cup Champion
[Image: 6JpC94j.png]
[Image: image0.png]
[Image: IMG_0301.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 12-25-2022, 05:44 AM by .simo. Edited 8 times in total.)

Quote:1. Fan Appreciation Day
This was something that when it was first dreamed up a lot of people thought John Hopoate was a great option for a player to come up with some items. As John is from Australia he has become a bit of a cult hero around Newfoundland and there would be a lot of cool things that Hopoate could make for this fan appreciation day.

One big thing that Hoppa wanted to do was do some cool things and have a lot of Australian foods. We would have something like this. First off we will go with a bunch of the main dinner foods that will be served.

Main Foods
- Burgers. The burgers sold on this day would have all sorts of Australian foods like beetroot, fried egg and grilled pineapple.
- Fish and Chips. This is always a staple in Australia and we would import fresh barramundi for cooking up fresh fish and chips here.
- Kangaroo and Emu. Both of these animals are on the Australian coat of arms but that never stops the Aussies from eating them. Both of these animals would be available on burgers.
Meat Pies. Always surprised that more of the world doesn't eat meat pies. They are a great food and we would have all the classic flavours.
- Barbecue Snags. This one is a classic at Bunnings. BBQ snags is just cooked up sausages on a bbq and then slam that bad buoy onto some soft, fresh and white bread. From there we go with either tomato or bbq sause and top it all off with some onion. Nothing more nothing less than that for perfection.

Now that we have that done we can talk about a lot of the sweeter foods that Australians love to eat.

Lollies, Candy and Sweets
- Fantales. are a favourite of Australians and is a chewy caramel candy coated in chocolate. These would just be free everywhere.
- Vanilla Slice. If you ever go to a bakery in Australia you need to pick up one of these. A multi layered pastry filled with vanilla custart and dusted with icing sugar on top. One of the all time great deserts and definitely isn't something the Kiwis invented no matter what they say.
- Tim Tams. This is an iconic Australian biscuit. Chocolate covered chocolate biscuit and it is god damn amazing.
- Pavlova. Meringe topped with cream and then all sorts of chocolate and fresh fruits. Another one of the deserts that was definitely made by Australians first before the Kiwis.
- ANZAC Biccies. This is one we are happy to share with the Kiwis. A dry oatey biscuit that goes really well with any hot beverage.

Now with that all taken care of we can finish off this foody fan day with a few drinks.

Drinnks and Beverages
- Ginger Beer. Australia has one big brewery that goes by the name of Bundaberg. They make a lot of great drinks but right at the top of their list is the Bundaberg Ginger Beer.
- Rums. Along with the ginger beer, Bundaberg also makes a very popular range of rum. This is most of what we would be serving for the people who are wanting alcoholic beverages.
- Beers. Lastly, Australia has a lot of beer and there is no way we could do this without offering a few of them on tap. The main ones being XXXX Gold and Great Northerns.

563 words

Quote:3. Secret Plans
I have a lot of great plans for how to make the Newfoundland Beserkers a better team next SJMHL season. One big part is to sabotage the other teams locker rooms. I have already installed a tap and hose in a secret compartment and I have put some cement lips around every doorway out of the opposing locker room. Before the team bus of the opposition will be able to pull into the stadium I will have already made my way in and have a few things I will do. I will get my hose and turn the tap on. Not to full flood anything but I will just spray down all the lockers and the benches, spray the floor also and because of the lip I put in there will just end up with a centimetre or two of water in the locker room. Not enough to be a huge problem but it will just make the whole experience uncomfortable and annoying. Wherever you want to put gear it is just going to get wet. The only dry surface in the whole locker room will just be whatever tables the team themselves bring in.

On top of this there is always things left in the locker rooms to help provide an ok experience for the visiting team. I will take the waters and powerage out of the visiting fridge. I will remove all the toilet paper except for one roll and just wait to see how that plays out. I have some speakers that are hidden that just softly play some very catchy and annoying jingles so that anyone without headphones will get these songs stuck in their head and just be constantly singing them the rest of the day. We also have some mini ice rinks in each locker room for warm ups. I have replaced the goal in the opposing team locker room to be slightly smaller than a regulation sized goal so when the opposition goalie is warming up he will feel like it is clicking and he is easily managing to cover the whole goal and is feeling good. Then when he is out and the game has started he won't realise that the goal he is actually defending is slightly larger.

I am sure we will have some things we can do that will be based on improving our team but that isn't my job. I was given the job to make it harder and a more shitty experience for other teams to travel to Newfoundland.
422 words

Quote:4. Funtimes
This might be a bit basic but the plan for some team bonding fun times at the Newfoundland Beserkers is everyone around to my house for some smoked meats, drinking games and playing some golf of the golf simulator. There is not much better than hanging out with all your mates and playing a few different drinking games while the smell of smoked meats is just there in the background all arvo. We have brisket to put on some burgers with home made coleslaw and with some prime barbecue sauces. On top of this we have a whole stack of ribs. The golf simulator is also a lot of fun. In Australia there is never weather that stops you from going golfing so when Hoppa moved to Newfoundalnd he had to put a simulator in his house so he could keep golfing and it makes for a lot of fun with the team mates.
154 words

Quote:16. Goals
I'm a bit torn currently with John Hopoate with his goals for this career in the Simulation Hockey League. One one hand who wouldn't want to make it to the Hall of Fame. I would love to max earn this career and be a constant contender and win awards and make the Simulation Hockey League Hall of Fame but then on the other hand it also sounds like a pretty to just half earn and find my way back to the Philly Forge and just be a solid role player for a long career on the 2nd or 3rd line or something. Just be there and be a team glue guy.

It's always easier to start aiming higher and if you get sick of it just chill it out a bit and pull back. So I guess to start with I will have to be earning at a higher amount and just see how the first few seasons of my career goes. If it goes really well with racking up points and maybe getting an award or something I might continue to go hard. We will have to wait and see. Also please note I don't know how awards work here in the SHL and how many there are or anything like that. So I don't know how likely it is for a player in say the first 4 seasons of their career to win an award. But we can always hope and pray. One thing though is I'm pretty keen to be back playing in the SHL again.
259 words

Quote:17. Feedback
It has been quite a long time since I have done point tasks or claimed TPE in the Simulation Hockey League so I don't know if this feedback is super helpful or not but I do love a few of the changes here. The funny part about me loving these though was a few of these things were my ideas to add into the PBE a long time ago now and now I see them being used in a completely different league so I'm a big fan. I love having all the claims combined into 1 post per week. Honestly it all just gets a bit much having like 3 pages of claims by the end of the season and none of it is needed at all so just one post a week is a great step forward for claims.

The other change I really love is how this task is set up with word counts. I have always been a big fan of people earning TPE by doing tasks they like doing. If there are prompts that people want to write 1600 words on then they should be able to do that and earn that amount of TPE. So I think letting people pick and choose their prompts but also pick and choose how much they want to write are both great decisions for the PPT in the SHL. I'm looking forward to the next few seasons and seeing what more changes I might come across in the SHL. Thanks for this prompt too.
255 words

[Image: hopoate.png]

laughs in CW pass

[Image: jE4ioeC.png][Image: meOh9pz.png]

1. Fan Appreciation Day
Your team is giving back to their supporters by holding a fan appreciation day for one of their games, where the team will hand out a special commemorative item to show thanks for their continued support of the franchise. You have been tasked to design the product to be given out to the attendees (can be a rally towel, foam finger, bobble head, tc.) Write a blurb about the item, including details on during which game was / will be given out.

Ladies and Gentlemen boys and girls come on out to Grizzly fan night! Tonight on the 2nd home game of the season we won’t be celebrating the players but rather the people who put this thing together. That’s right it’s a Chevy! But this isn’t just any chevy, it is a spartan colored model chevy with two broken javelins as a steering wheel and a red and white Spartan style paint job. Why do this you ask? Well in honor of Chevy and Spartan Gibbles who field this great team you get to watch night in and night out here in the Treasure state!

(104 words)

As we near the end of S67, the SMJHL draft will be happening soon. Going into next season, what are your team's biggest needs and areas of strength? Do any holes need to be filled with call-ups? Do you have a position that is incredibly stacked? Give us all an overview of your team, from top to bottom.

What does GFG need going forward… Well, I am glad you asked! They had a strong S69 SHL class draft and will need to build off of it in S70. In 69 they drafted a rock solid defense with Ox and Tenderloin promising to be a top pairing for seasons to come down here in the J. James Dion is a top tier Center prospect if I do say so for myself (J wise) and Kane is a great top line or 2nd line wing on a title winning team. So it’s 2 offense and 2 defense. Oh sorry I nearly forgot a great goaltender in Doomslatter. So the defense is in nice shape. I would say we need more forwards, 1 pairing on defense is solved and with who we took a couple drafts ago 3 of the 6 on defense are already young, active, good players with a very bright future. Forwards wise though we do not have quite that same percentage fixed and ready and set to go so my hope is that the big boys in the front office bring in some wingers to compliment Dion and another center later in the draft to bring up the middle lines. I do of course think the team has a bright future, they have really done a good job in this last draft and i am fully confident in what is coming for us. But personally that is what i would go with if i was them. Some more goal scoring.

(253 words)

350 of 800 complete

4. Funtimes
You have been designated as the team's official Fun Director! Now, everyone is looking for some sort of fun activity where you all can spend an afternoon or day to chill, hang out and build some team spirit. Especially after a long and stressful season, what are your plans to ensure everyone has a great time?

Most of the time when teams are done after the season they just relax and go do something social like Golf, me personally im taking the team position as fun director seriously so of course we will be doing fun things. We will be going to every arcade in montana starting right here in Great Falls. Doing an air hockey tournament (cause what else) We’ll call it the Great Falls cup and we’ll have a few matches at each location. It’ll be first to 50, im sure as the fun director i’ll have the finances to buy out a few hours of the arcade to just the team for this extravagant tournament. Gotta decorate the arena (yes I said an arcade was an arena we are going CRAZY for this). The winner of this tournament will receive a year long pass to the Great Falls state of golf tour. An all access pass to an all access pass to every major golf course in Monatana.

(165 words)

500 of 800 complete

7. Four Star Showdown
At the end of the day, what we all really strive for is the Four Star Cup. It takes everyone's best efforts, an unrelenting determination to win and hard work to be able to hoist the glorious trophy. Out of the 12 teams in playoffs, who do you think will win the 4 Star Cup? Are you going for the clear favorites, or the underdogs? Give reasons to justify your prediction.

This really isn’t as difficult as it has been in some previous seasons. It’s pretty obviously Detroit, I mean it might not even be close that it’s Detroit. They are the best team in the league and it isn’t close. They have the MVP, the 10 best players in terms of plus and minus in the league. It is absolutely absurd. They have the best goalie  in the SMJHL by a mile in Jeff Newman, The 3 most efficent players in shot conversion rate. They have nearly 3 times the goal difference of the next highest team (Detroit +182 Nevada +65). The gap between Detroit and the rest of the juniors is wild. So as far as who is gonna win a title, I don’t think it’s ever gonna be more clear than now. Best defense and offsense too I should state. It’s not just they scored the most goals by 58 (326 goals vs Nevada’s 268) They have allowed only 144 goals, 30 less than Regina, 2nd best defense in the league, at 174. Big shout out to Vaxlare, pickle juice, and those behind the scenes in Detroit who built this god like team that even Ken Holland or Steve Izerman would be proud of.

(206 words)

700 of 800 complete

16. Goals
Although your career may still be in its early stages, it's still a great time to think about the future. What are some goals you have for your career, or some personal goals for the site? Are you striving for a HOF induction? Getting a site job?

So this is an interesting prompt. What are my, as a user, goals for the SHL. Well for starters my background in sim leagues is my PBE career where at this point im a majors GM on the Cancun Toros. So im not leaving that team anytime soon and I was nearly a 1 team player on my first player too. I want to have a career where I max earn and am really good but at the same time am free to leave and test free agency if I want or go chase titles at the end of the career. So just a player focused career instead of a team friendly and team focused career. Im not gonna say im certain to leave the team im drafted too im just saying I will be more relaxed and not taking 1 billion year contracts. I would also want to max earn and intend to keep max earning via some media, twitter and my backup (hopefully full time sometime soon) updater job!
(170 words)

Over 800 words.
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2022, 04:48 AM by Zap. Edited 2 times in total.)

12. On the Radar

Hello this is Ron Burgundy here with SMJHL Hockey News and today we have a player from the St. Louis Scarecrows with us, Matthew LeClaire. Hello Matthew, how are you doing? RB
ML: Thanks for having me.
RB: We have received emails for the past 7 days and we already have between 100 and 150 so we want to first thank all of the fans for taking the time to email Matthew. We'll try to get as many of these answered as we can today in our session and we tried to pick different kinds of questions and some serious hockey questions and some light-hearted fare as well. And of course, the draft.  “Hello Mr. LeClaire. I've been a big fan of yours for a long time, and I was wondering, how old were you when you decided to start training and practicing to become good enough to be drafted into the SHL.”
From Alex, Vancouver, Ontario.
ML: I think I have been practicing since I was 4 or 5 years old, but that wasn’t really practice. I was just having fun. It wasn’t as if I was putting in time. I just loved to play hockey, whether is was shooting or playing outside, whatever the case may be.
RB: So having a passion for the sport is going to go a long way to helping you get there?
ML: Yeah, exactly. You just have to love to do it. I don’t think it’s an issue of putting in time, or something like that. You just have to make sure you’re having fun with it and if you enjoy to do it, keep doing it. But if its something where you have to put in time- I don’t think its going to work. You have to be completly dedicated to the sport while loving it to succeed.
RB: Tom from Washington DC writes in “How many goals do you want to score next season? I see you as a hockey player that will get better and better each season”
Matthew LeClaire: (laughing) No answer to that one…but I never try to estimate how many goals I am going to get…go with the same frame of mind every game and hope that I can help in that way. Sometimes you can have a great night and the puck just doesn’t go in, and sometimes you might not play that well and score 2. But if I had to guess and I got 21 goals this past season, I would guess 22.
RB: Any reason for 22?
ML: I don't want to let him down (laughing)
RB: Jim from Miami, Florida writes “Dear Matthew, Who do you think would win in a fight, Chuck Norris or the Avengers?”
ML: The whole Avengers team? laughs. I guess it wouldn't change my answer. Chuck Norris would win for sure. No doubt in my mind, he would win that one.
RB: We've got a question here from Sam in Vegas. "Hello Matthew, You played for Sweden last WJC and now this year you will be playing for team North America. Why did you switch from Sweden to NA and what are your thoughts about your new teammates?"
ML: I joined the minors too late where my skill development wasn't high enough so I found an open roster spot with sweden. I am defiantly happy this year to be playing closer to home near St. Louis. I think we will have the same atmosphere and chemistry as we do in ST. Louis.
RB: This question comes from Jeff in Toronto, Canada. "Matthew, I am curious what parts of your game you would like to improve on."
ML: Defensive play. I think anytime you’re an offensive player it’s easy to get caught on the wrong side of the puck. I think for me just making sure that I stay in my own zone, don’t get caught. Especially in the SHL every guy is good. Defensively, if you make a mistake the puck is going to be in your net. I'd say my defensive play is something I'd like to work on.
RB: This question comes from Henry in New York City. "Dear Matthew, I was wondering if you could tell me some off-ice conditioning drills that you do everyday to keep your physique up?"
ML: For me I do a lot of sprinting. I think it’s different for everyone depending on what you need to work on. For me speed is something I try to focus on, definitely in the summer to improve that in the season.
RB: Let's do some draft questions. Thoughts on getting drafted to the SHL?
ML: This is unbelievable.  I've dreamed about this moment for the majority of my life, and for it to finally come true and to be part of an organization like this is definitely surreal.
RB: When your name is called, what will you think about?
ML: My family, my dad. It's so nice that the first person I get to hug is my mom.  I'm so fortunate that I had such a great family growing up, and I wouldn't be here without them
RB: What can GM's expect from you coming into the SHL?
ML: They can expect a hard worker who takes his development seriously. I would request to stay all 4 years in the minors due to it being vital to my success in my professional hockey career.
RB: Do you think you are ready for the SHL? I mean, I guess you kind of answered it already.
ML: It's not a matter if I am ready but more focused on bringing a cup to St.Louis before I feel like I should focus somewhere else. and again, I feel like training is very important.
RB: Matthew LeClaire, thanks for taking the time to answer the fans questions and mine.
ML: Thanks for having me.
RB: You stay classy SHL, I'm Ron Burgundy?

That was a small interview with one of many prospects of the upcoming SHL draft. I will now be doing a draft scouting report and some of my thoughts on what is to come.
There are a lot of high earning prospects in this upcoming draft but an abundance in forwards. The best Centers TPE wise is Matthew LeClaire, John Hopoate, and James Dion. Top 3 wingers are Petr Vrana, Georg N'zola, and oscar scholz. All in the top 6 of the draft. I believe depending on needs, we will see some Defensemen drafted way earlier than expected and due to the abundance of forwards, these top 6 TPE earners could be drafted late 1st round early second round. Defensemen like Pork Tenderloin ranked 9th, Hugh Manius ranked 12th, and David Doug could very well be drafted in the top 5. Draft predictions are always tricky. If I had to guess who the first draft pick would be, it would be petr vrana. Vrana got 48 points in 66 games. 21 goals and 27 assists. This is very good for a rookie and top it off the #1 TPE earner in this draft class, I would say he would be a safe bet to pick 1st. The best Defensemen in the draft is Pork Tenderloin, sitting at 9th best in the draft class TPE earning wise. I see him going 2nd or 3rd. very early. Defenseman are hard to get in this class. He has gotten only 20 points in 66 games but you can put the blame on the sim. Stat wise I would bet Hugh Manius. Who had a breakout year with 41 points in 66 games. He was a machine last season for St. Louis with a + 14. The sim Gods must love this player so I would gamble on maybe choosing him instead of Tenderloin. But one thing is for sure, It will be interesting to see what happens. Thanks for viewing Ron Burgundy's upcoming SHL draft report.

1320 words

GM Pass

[Image: Wally.png]

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2022, 12:47 PM by Ricer13. Edited 4 times in total.)

1. Fan Appreciation

It has been a hell of a season in Maine and our fans are a massive part of that. During game 1 of our next series we will be presenting our fans with something very special. Each fan will be given a wooden beer mug made from trees that were dying all around the state of Maine. The trees were removed to allow growth of new saplings. The charity that does all of this hard work was kind enough to give us these trees to make these mugs out of. Each mug will have a Maine Timber logo on it as well as a random players name from the team. They have been treated and sealed so that they may be kept in good condition for many years to come. On top of all that we have donated 5000$ to this organization to help allow them to continue this amazing work they’re doing. Keeping our forests flourishing and strong is important environmental work for our planet.

7. Four Star Showdown

At the moment of writing this there are four teams remaining. Maine, Carolina, Detroit and St Louis are the four teams left battling. I feel Maine and St Louis is going to be a tight series but ultimately Maine has really turned it on as of late and will punch their ticket to their second straight finals. Carolina and Detroit is a verrrry interesting series. Number 1 and 2 teams going to head to head is a juggernaut match up. I do think Detroit has just been so dominant this season that I see them moving on past Carolina. This would now leave the finals with a Detroit vs. Maine match up. I want to be biased and say Maine has got this in the bag but Detroit has proven to the be Goliath this season and my money is on them to take home the Four Star Cup.

8. An Alternate Time-Line

Looking through the teams who had made the playoffs I think Peter Tingle would have to be playing for the Vancouver Whalers. They lost pretty badly to Carolina 4-1 but the glaring issue I see is the lack of solid productive centre depth. Beyond Meta Knight the centres aren’t all that great and I think Peter Tingle could slot in right on the 2nd line. This would allow us to push the remaining centremen down the line up which would increase the talent throughout the bottom 6 as well. Overall this would help Vancouver become a better team but I doubt it improves their playoff chances. It might have just ended up a 4-2 series loss rather than a 4-1 series loss haha.

12. On the Radar

I am going to give three pros and cons about Peter Tingle to help GMs have a better idea about what they’re getting if they decide to draft this player.

Pros

1. Team Player: Peter Tingle is a team first guy. He does care about his own personal results but at the end of the day he would rather team success and to see his team mates around him doing well. You’ll be getting a guy who could be a future captain as he looks to put the teams needs over his own.

2. Training Beast: His track record speaks for itself. Peter Tingle is a training beast. Every week he finds a way to get the most out of his training and he has improved drastically on and off the ice during his short time with the Maine Timber.

3. Responsible on the ice: Tingle plans to become a player who can dependent on both ends of the ice. He had a natural ability to get points but cares more about cleaning up the opposing team in the defensive end. A solid two way centremen is something every team will be looking for and Peter Tingle will be that guy.

Cons

1. Wears his heart on his sleeve: Peter has a tendency to be emotional but only because he cares so much. He’s not afraid to let anyone know if the team isn’t doing well or if anyone is slacking on their training and that’s himself included. If you don’t mind a player who will speak up and share how they’re feeling then don’t shy away from drafting Peter.

2. Self Doubt: Peter does struggle with confidence issues. When he isn’t seeing the results he puts a lot of that pressure on himself. This has shown to affect his play in the past but it’s something he is working on. Mental toughness is hard to build but I have no doubt that he will figure this out as he continues to progress in this league.

3. Loyal to a fault: Peter is almost too loyal. He can be easily taken advantage of when it comes to contract or trade situations. He wants what is best for the team at all times but sometimes forgets to do what’s best for himself as a player. This may be great for a GM but ultimately the player does had to consider himself and his situation throughout his career.

You’ll be drafting an exceptional player with some amazing qualities.

850 + words
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2023, 12:22 PM by karlssens. Edited 2 times in total.)

Code:
6. Team History
I know history isn't everyone's favorite thing to discuss, but a team's past can really define its identity, what its known for and who they are in the present. Tell us about your team's past! Have there been any franchise defining moments that are integral to your team or even SHL history? Conversely, is there some interesting tidbit that not many around the league know?
I'm quite familiar with the history in the SHL, but I'll admit my knowledge of SMJHL history is quite brief, especially with the Armada. I know they were once one of the original SMJHL teams and they even won the first ever Four Star Cup, but at that time they were called the Prince George Firebirds. What I didn't know and just learned was that they actually moved to Regina for several seasons and changed their name to the Regina Force, but then moved BACK to Prince George at the beginning of S25, the same season I started my first player in the league. They've won 4 cups as the Prince George Firebirds and 2 cups as the Anchorage Armada. It's kind of a pity they have yet to play in a warmer climate. Their most recent 1st overall selection was in the season 66 draft where they selected D Jobin. Before that you'd need to go all the way back to season 42 to find the last time they selected 1st overall. It was their inaugural season as the Armada and they selected Jax Aittokallio. (186 words - 3 TPE).

Code:
7. Four Star Showdown
At the end of the day, what we all really strive for is the Four Star Cup. It takes everyone's best efforts, an unrelenting determination to win and hard work to be able to hoist the glorious trophy. Out of the 12 teams in playoffs, who do you think will win the 4 Star Cup? Are you going for the clear favorites, or the underdogs? Give reasons to justify your prediction.
If I had to pick just 1 team to win the Four Star Cup this season it would have to be the Detroit Falcons and I don't think many would disagree with me. They are the favorites in probably every metric finishing the regular season as the top team with a 54-11-1 record and 109 points, 22 more than the second place Carolina Kraken. To put that gap in to perspective if you took 22 points away from the Kraken they'd be in 8th. They also led the regular season in goals for with 326, 58 more than the next team (Nevada Battleborn), goals against with just 144, 30 less than the next team (Regina Elks) and naturally goal diffential with a whopping +182, which was +117 better than the next team, the Nevada Battleborn with +65. Using just the regular season data it's incredibly hard not to pick the Detroit Falcons. Fortunately since I'm writing this with the finals set my prediction has almost come to fruition. They cruised to a 4-0 sweep in the quarter finals against the Yukon Malamute. The semifinals saw them stumble a bit though needing all 7 games to dispatch the Carolina Kraken. Now they just need to eliminate the Maine Timber to complete their dominant season and cap it off with a Four Star Cup win. (223 words - 4 TPE).

Code:
11. A 6 Star Show
Make a dream team of players from any team in the playoffs, with 3 forwards, 2 defenseman and a goalie, and give an explanation for each pick. It could be the best team ever, or alternative maybe the worst?
Up front it's hard not to like the three headed dragon of Scarecrows in Bavel Pure, Diablo Rose and Jarrod Lakemore. Lakemore has proven to be an elite playmaker with 22 points in 12 games including an incredible 18 assists, both of which lead all players in the playoffs thus far. Pure is the ying to Lakemores yang with 8 goals, also the most in the playoffs. He "only" has 18 points, but he also leads all players in shots and hits. A absolute force at both ends of the ice. The final forward, Diablo Rose, is no slouch either. While he doesn't lead any offensive categories he has managed to collect a whopping 19 points, 3 behind Lakemore for 2nd thus far in the playoffs. The three of them form my top line. On defense I'm not going to far grabbing yet another Scarecrow. This time it's Jonathan Mercer. Much like his buddies up front he leads all defensemen in several categories, namely points and shots. For the 2nd defenseman I'll take my teammate Davos Otasrob. Although he's now eliminated, he managed to rack up 8 points in 10 games and was one of, if not the biggest contributors, to Anchorages success in round 1. Lastly between the pipes I'll take Carolina's Caleb Hayden. Through 2 rounds he leads all goalies in save percentage, GSAA and shutouts. He's 4-2 through 6 games and 3 of those wins were shutouts. He is easily Carolina's best player right now and my pick to complete my 6 star show. (257 words - 5 TPE)

Code:
12. On the Radar
Write a pre-draft scout report on your player from the perspective of a journalist covering the prospects of the S68 SHL draft class. What do possible SHL suitors have to be excited (or perhaps wary?) about when it comes to potentially drafting your player?
What are you getting if you draft Oskar Scholz? The hulking German winger is a hard-working and diligent skater that is dedicated to performing well at both ends of the ice. The main focus of his game is on the physical side, piling up hits and separating the opponent from the puck. In his first full season in the SMJHL he managed to rack up 100 hits, and another 22 in 10 post-season games. While he did start off a bit slow offensively, he managed to find his game in the second half of the season and finish with 32 points including 16 goals. Off the ice he is equally dedicated to his craft, finding every opportunity to improve his abilities and gain TPE. One area he needs to improve upon though is where to apply and focus those skills, but with the right management Oskar could be an incredibly explosive player in the SHL. (155 words - 3 TPE).

Code:
16. Goals
Although your career may still be in its early stages, it's still a great time to think about the future. What are some goals you have for your career, or some personal goals for the site? Are you striving for a HOF induction? Getting a site job?
With this being my 3rd player and my 1st after a small break from the league I've had some time to plan for this player, although I don't really know how the sim works now so it'll be a bit of mystery how it all turns out. My first player was a playmaking center and the second was a point shooting defenseman. My goal with this player is to be a punishing power forward winger, rack up the hits, and hopefully enough points to have my name in the running for the Dar Award. A HOF induction would be swell, but I'll have to see how my career progresses first. Naturally a Challenge Cup would be fantastic, but the one I'm really gunning for is the 4 Star Cup. I've been on this site for a while now and that's the one team award that has alluded me. So the 2 big goals for me with this player would be a 4 Star Cup and a Dar Trophy. If I can get those 2 items I'll retire a happy man. a HOF induction and a Challenge Cup would be the icing on the cake. (194 words - 3 TPE).

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2022, 06:04 PM by TheRoyalEmpoleon. Edited 10 times in total.)

Code:
1. Fan Appreciation Day
Your team is giving back to their supporters by holding a fan appreciation day for one of their games, where the team will hand out a special commemorative item to show thanks for their continued support of the franchise. You have been tasked to design the product to be given out to the attendees (can be a rally towel, foam finger, bobble head, etc.) Write a blurb about the item, including details on during which game was / will be given out.

For my team, the Yukon malamutes, I have decided that we should give out themed malamute headbands, it will be stylized like a malamute or huskies ears and will be in the colors of the team, bergundy and blue, to keep costs down, they will be made out of a  relatively cheap material such as plastic, because it isnt a super costly material, but is still of a good quality, plus it is strong enough to make the handbands adjustable so people of all headsizes can enjoy them, we will give them out on the last game before christmas as a sort of gift because we don't really have any established rivals in the league at this point due to how recent of a team we are, with this season marking our fourth season in the league there hasn't been one team that we have played enough to create a rivalry [151 words]

Code:
As we near the end of S67, the SMJHL draft will be happening soon. Going into next season, what are your team's biggest needs and areas of strength? Do any holes need to be filled with call-ups? Do you have a position that is incredibly stacked? Give us all an overview of your team, from top to bottom.

In my opinion, one of the biggest needs for the yukon malamutes is goaltending, as neither of our goaltenders had a save percentage of above .875% or a GAA lower than 3.3, I think that we really would've had a better shot at a deep playoff run with a better goaltending and some better numbers in net, we are also going to need someone to replace our elite scoring center oles kobliska who currently is third all time in scoring for the smjhl, who is going to be a very large piece for our success so it is going to be super important to get another elite player [108 words]

Code:
3. Secret Plans
It’s never too early to start thinking about how you’re going to gain a competitive edge next season! How is your team going to go the extra mile to get wins next season? Is it a secret training regimen? Sneaky equipment modifications? Booby trapping the visiting teams’ locker room? Anything goes.

If I've Learned anything about inconveniencing your opponents, I know that the best way is to just mildly inconvenience them with the smallest little things, so that it throws them off but are also minor enough to the point where there isn't a viable enough case to be made that we're sabotaging them. Little minor things in the away dressing room such as making the water for the opponents a little bit warmer, or making the toilet flush a little bit louder. not enough to be completely destroying to them but also enough to slightly throw them off during the game. while I love the idea of something like booby trapping the opponents room, it may arise some concerns amongst the league of sabotage and I don't really want to play with fire, as they say "if you play with fire, you're gonna get burned" and I don't like the concept of being punished for a stupid thing [158 words]

Code:
4. Funtimes
You have been designated as the team's official Fun Director! Now, everyone is looking for some sort of fun activity where you all can spend an afternoon or day to chill, hang out and build some team spirit. Especially after a long and stressful season, what are your plans to ensure everyone has a great time?

After a difficult exit from the playoffs after being swept in round 2 by the best team in the regular season, the Detroit falcons, it's gonna be super important to get out and have a good time to take our minds off the fact that in the teams 4 year history, we have made the second round 3 times and played the best team in the league all 3 of those times, to take our mind off of that, what better of an activity is there up in the yukon than good old ice fishing, we've all got pretty good at it, and it's always one of the first things that is taught to the rookies up here. always a good relaxing activity to take your mind off of your troubles, which we really need. [135 words]

Code:
6. Team History

As a member of the yukon malamutes, we have only been in the league for 4 seasons as of this past season, which means that we have basically no history that is super notable which is unfortunate, but I don't mind too much because can allow for me and my teammates to start to create a legacy for us and our team, the one interesting bit of information is that in our 4 seasons, we have made the second round 3 of those times and lost to the best team in the league all 3 of those times, so a pretty unlucky start to the franchise [106 words]

Code:
7. Four Star Showdown

If I was writing this before us in yukon got eliminated, i would've gone with us because you gotta believe that you can win before you can, but after facing the detroit falcons and losing in 4 relatively close games, I am going to go with a team that isn't the favorite, but has still been very strong all playoffs in the carolina kraken. Carolina has the best goaltending tandem in the league, and the entire team has been performing in the playoffs, and it shows in the convincing 4-0 series win in the nly series they have played so far, they are currently down 3-1 to the Detroit falcons, but there's no better storyline than winning 3 straight against the favorites to make it to the finals, and I fully believe that the winner of that series will take the entire thing, as these 2 have been the clear 2 strongest teams in the league. [156 words]

Code:
9. What's in a Name?
A player name is the first of many steps that mark the start of a new SHL career. From meme names, real life references and parodies of hockey players, there are a wonderful assortment of names that can be found throughout the league. Which player(s) have the best name and why?

It is really obvious to me that the best name in the league is Grzegorz Brzeczyszczykiewicz, this name just absolutely baffles me because I have no clue how this name came to be in the first place. I had to look it up and seems like some movie reference but it's just so nonsensical that I have no clue how it came to be, colorado also has another one of the leagues elite names in Chuchichäschtli Zopf which is also just straight up hilarious, on the detroit falcons they have a player with the name 'Deemed Innappropriate' which is just a really good creative name. Kelowna has Munko Aitmukhambetov which is also a really good name because I looked it up and there is no source so it's just a really good name, Nevada has Jolngustraadaevinch DuBolk which also has no source so I just have no clue about that one, I think that unnecessarily long slavic names are absolutely awesome in case you couldn't tell, and that is why Grzegorz Brzeczyszczykiewicz just takes the cake for me. [178 words]

Code:
10. In the Zone
Some players are excellent in the regular season, however there are a certain few that really elevate their play in the playoffs. The pressure and the thought of winning it all really benefits some, while others just have that natural clutch factor, with a knack of showing up at the right times. Write about players who have been crucial to their team, or players that could be in contention for Playoffs MVP.

I'm gonna take this opportunity to write about my own player, Ray Alexander, who had a decent rookie season with 43 points in 66 games, which is good, but nothing over the top, but ray really thrived under the pressure of the playoffs and ended up at 12 points in 10 games when the playoffs ended, with an even spread of 6 goals and 6 assists. however a player making a strong case for being the MVP of the playoffs is Saint Louis' Jarrod Lakemore, who leads the league in playoff points with 23 points in 15 games, which is absolutely increble, and he is making a very good case for MVP, even if the scarecrows do not win the trophy [121 words]

11. A 6 Star Show
Code:

A very obvious choice for the first line is the 3 best playoff producers in the league, who conveniently enough play on the same team normally, and are the best line in the league let alone fusing all teams in the league. The line I am referring to is obviously Jarrod Lakemore, Bavel Pure, and Diablo rose, of the saint louis scarecrows, these 3 are 1, 2, and 3 in the league in playoff points, are all above a point per game, and have been completely dominant every time that they step onto the ice, an obvious forward line choice for a all star playoff team. To go with an all-offense team, the D pair will be Torsten Eriksen of the Carolina Kraken, who leads the league in defensive playoff goals with 5, as the right defenseman, and Julian Florsch of the Detroit falcons, who is tied for second in the league in playoff goals with 4, but he ended up as the selection because the other player tied for second, while having more overall points, was also a right handed defenseman which overlapped with Torsten Eriksen. For the goaltender, I will choose Brent Turnerson of the maine timber, who is leading the league in what i consider the most important goalie stat, being Goals Saved Above Average, sitting at an absolutely ludicrous +7.22 Goals Saved above averge, which is almost double second in the league, with 3.95, making him a clear choice to close off our elite team of MVPs [251 words]

Code:
12. On the Radar

Ray Alexander of the yukon malamutes is a very well rounded player, with his only real large weaknesses being in shot blocking (5) fighting (5) and hitting (7). While these stats are low, they are more than made up for with his biggest strengths in Passing (15) and offensive read (14). Ray alexander had a very average regular season, with 16 goals and 27 assists for 43 points in 66 games, but really stepped up under the pressure of the playoffs, with 6 goals and 6 assists in 10 games, Ray has been a very active earner and will be a very active locker room presence, as an assistant captain in yukon adding him to almost any locker room will bolster the spirit of the room, Ray is aiming to be a good defensive player who in the future can be relied upon as a good penalty killer, Ray would be a strong addition to any team and locker room in the league [163 words]

Code:
14. R&R
It's almost officially the offseason. Whether you just won the cup or didn't even make it past the first round of the playoffs, it's time to take a break and look toward the SHL draft. Tell us how you're spending your time this offseason, whether it be with family or friends.

It's obvious that after the playoffs you're gonna spend time with the family, but Ray has decided to get a little bit more involved in the league and the team by helping with the yukon malamutes scouting, and joining management while he is a player, It's a lot of work, but I think I can handle it, plus it's a nice way to get to know the league a bit more, and possibly get an insight on whos joining the league, Ray will also of course spend lots of time with his teammates in yukon, doing lots of team bonding activities to be stronger than ever heading into season 69 [110 words]

Code:
16. Goals

Rays main goal as a player is just like every other players goal, which is to be nominated into the hall of fame, because at the end of the day the hall of fame is always the end goal for a player, and really shows that you stood out amongst your peers, but I am also going to strive to be a very involved player, and try working with my team in some management roles, because it will allow me to actively contribute to my team, and lets me have a more active role within the team which is something I really enjoy, and I obviously want to help, and make my team stronger so we can compete more [119 words]

+3 TPE - Milestones

[1752 words] +3 TPE
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2023, 08:25 PM by Operation Ivy. Edited 3 times in total.)

Code:
1. Fan Appreciation Day

Your team is giving back to their supporters by holding a fan
appreciation day for one of their games, where the team will hand out a
special commemorative item to show thanks for their continued support of
the franchise. You have been tasked to design the product to be given
out to the attendees (can be a rally towel, foam finger, bobble head,
etc.) Write a blurb about the item, including details on during which
game was / will be given out.
The Regina Elk will be holding a fan appreciation day next season that will center around the team mascot. On a Saturday in January, the first 5,000 fans in attendance will receive foam elk antlers that the fans can wear to cheer on their hometown team. These Antlers will have the word "Regina" on one side and "Elk" on the other. These foam antlers will be one size fits all, so both kids and adults alike can sport their mascot's antlers. On this night, there will also be a special giveaway if any of the Elk players record a hat trick. If a player records a hat trick, all fans who throw their antlers on to the ice will be given the antlers back, but also will be entered into a raffle to win $10,000.
(135 words)

Code:
4. Funtimes

You have been designated as the team's official Fun Director! Now,
everyone is looking for some sort of fun activity where you all can
spend an afternoon or day to chill, hang out and build some team spirit.
Especially after a long and stressful season, what are your plans to
ensure everyone has a great time?
As Regina's Fun Director, we will be spending the day at Top Golf to get to know each other more and bring out our competitive spirit. The great thing about Top Golf is that any skill level of golf can participate and have a good time. Sure, there will always be the ringers out there, but the point of Top Golf is to hang out and have a good time with teammates and friends. Of course we'll be sure to have an open bar as well, so that the drinks are flowing and the entire team can order exactly what they want. We will also have buffet style of food, including things like chicken wings, sliders, and fries. At the end of the night, we'll close down the Top Golf bar before all responsibly getting home.
(136 words)

Code:
7. Four Star Showdown

At the end of the day, what we all really strive for is the Four Star
Cup. It takes everyone's best efforts, an unrelenting determination to
win and hard work to be able to hoist the glorious trophy. Out of the 12
teams in playoffs, who do you think will win the 4 Star Cup? Are you
going for the clear favorites, or the underdogs? Give reasons to justify
your prediction.
At this point in the playoffs, I would have to bet my money on the favorites, Detroit Falcons, to win the 4 Star Cup. In the regular season, this team was absolutely dominant as they finished with 109 points and a record of 54-11-1. The Falcons had an incredible four players with 80+ points, and were led by center Bnana NWaffles who tallied 100 points in just 66 games. This team scored at will, as they led the SMJHL by a wide margin in goals scored with 326 goals in the regular season. Perhaps just as impressive if not more was their defense and goaltending. This team also led the SMJHL by a wide margin in goals allowed, giving up just 144 goals in the regular season. Goaltender Jeff Newman was outstanding, as he finished with a record of 49-9 in the regular season. He also registered a save percentage of .910% and a goals against average of 2.19. Simply put, this team was incredible in the regular season and I would imagine that will continue through the remainder of the playoffs.
(182 words)

Code:
Code:
10. In the Zone

Some players are excellent in the regular season, however there are a
certain few that really elevate their play in the playoffs. The pressure
and the thought of winning it all really benefits some, while others
just have that natural clutch factor, with a knack of showing up at the
right times. Write about players who have been crucial to their team, or
players that could be in contention for Playoffs MVP.
The Regina Elk's center Gritty McGritterson had a solid regular season with 47 points in 66 games, but when the Elk punched their ticket into the postseason, McGritterson took his game to another level. In the eleven playoff games that the Elk participated in this season, McGritterson led all Elk in points. He averaged just over a point per game, finishing with 12 points in 11 games. McGritterson had 3 goals to go along with 9 assists and was a consistent force for the Regina offense. For the Elk management, they have to be pleased knowing that they have a center that they can consistently rely upon during the most important time of the season.
(115 words)

Code:
12. On the Radar

Write a pre-draft scout report on your player from the perspective of a
journalist covering the prospects of the S68 SHL draft class. What do
possible SHL suitors have to be excited (or perhaps wary?) about when it
comes to potentially drafting your player?
Jack McCarthy came on to the SMJHL scene a bit later than most prospects, as he entered the waiver wire just a week before the trade deadline. After being claimed by the Yukon Malamutes, he was quickly traded over to Regina where he joined the Elk. McCarthy, now with his feet wet into the SMJHL both in the regular season and playoffs, prepares for the upcoming SHL draft.
For SHL teams looking to add to their blue line, Jack McCarthy can provide value on both ends of the ice. In 22 regular season games with Regina, McCarthy finished as a +8 in the +/- statistic. He also blocked 38 shots and registered 14 takeaways. After establishing himself in the defensive end, McCarthy showed that he has potential in the offensive end as well. Although he didn't register a goal this regular season, McCarthy tallied 8 assists while playing on the third line of defense and showed that he can move the puck and find the open man when needed.
One other aspect of McCarthy that we'd like to highlight for potential draft suitors, is how much emphasis and importance he puts on leadership. McCarthy has always been a leader on his teams growing up, and he wanted to make sure he added locker room value to the Elk as soon as he joined. As he looks to return to the Elk for the next few seasons, he hopes to continue to build on those relationships and take on even more relationship responsibility. For an SHL team, they will be drafting a leader both on and off the ice who can add a lot of value to a team's chemistry and locker room.
(281 words)

18. +1 TPE - Milestones

849 total words

[Image: 51LSJnR.png]

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2022, 04:51 PM by overdoo. Edited 4 times in total.)

As we near the end of S67, the SMJHL draft will be happening soon. Going into next season, what are your team's biggest needs and areas of strength? Do any holes need to be filled with call-ups? Do you have a position that is incredibly stacked? Give us all an overview of your team, from top to bottom.

For the Knights, we only have one player aging out this season, and that is Aitmukhambetov, a right wing who played center for us this season. For a call-up, Hammer is probably the only certain one. He was a left wing who played right wing this season. Although, you never really know with how SHL GMs are sometimes.

The left wing could be where the Knights are most stacked though. Excluding the fact that there will probably be at least one more call-up by the end of the season, we have two capped left wingers, Liebold, and Lutz. Following that is Chondria, and a much younger Vrana. With the three lines in the SMJHL, I can see Chondria playing on the third line, at the other wing or center, or Vrana playing second line right wing. As for the remaining right wingers, there is a capped Ekaterina Valieva, Wonada Jagrs, and Walter Ulrich. Which isn't bad at all. However, the team has no actual centers, they've just been plugging wingers in. By far their biggest weakness, and one I hope the team addresses this next draft.

On defense, there is a potential top pair of capped players, Brandt, and Spam. From there, we have two left defensemen, Dasice, and Wilson. Metzller is the remaining right defense, leaving room for the team to also draft another defender this season to plug the hole.

We also have two goalies who aren't half bad, Sjøforsvaret, and Jebus, who will probably be the starter going into next season.

So pending any additional call-ups other than Hammer, the perfect draft would bring us two centermen, and another defender. Then, any extras for additional losses, or we could always rely on waivers.

Code:
286 words

8. An Alternate Timeline
If you weren't playing for your current team, which team would you most like to be playing for in the playoffs.  Explain why you chose that team and how you think you'd slot into their roster.  Would your player make a big impact on the team?  Would you improve their chances of winning a cup?

I think the team I would have most likely ended up on in the draft would have been the Maine Timber. South and I probably had the longest chat out of all the scouting I had had, so between them and Detroit, I'd probably be on the Timber. That would also mean that they would have drafted me instead of Damien Hirano, another winger, so it's pretty likely I would have just filled that spot. I did outscore Hirano this season, and with a better foundation in Maine, I probably would have scored more, so Jagrs would have greatly contributed offensively both during the regular season, and playoffs. Over Hirano, I probably would have increased their chances at the cup, but at the same time, who really knows? It would have been pretty inconsequential as well, in my opinion.

Code:
139 words

9. What's in a Name?
A player name is the first of many steps that mark the start of a new SHL career. From meme names, real life references and parodies of hockey players, there are a wonderful assortment of names that can be found throughout the league. Which player(s) have the best name and why?

I've become pretty fond of a lot of the pun names, or characters. For example, Happy Gilmore was a player in my class, or Stan Din'desque, who was one of the ones I remembered, Inf1d3l's player. I mean, I'm sure that is somewhat clear from my player name. Jagr is pre-cool, sick mullet, snipe show, playing as long as he can, all that. Obviously, my player name comes from Jagr, but more specifically the Travelling Jagrs, the render. It's just going along with the idea that one of those Jagrs is the Jagr playing in the SHL, one of the, one of da, one a da, wonada. Also, a thing I've liked seeing are incredibly difficult names, maybe with accents too, just stuff I would not be able to replicate for an activity check had I decided to do a player name like that. Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz, or Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk are two good examples from the recent S69 class.

Code:
158 words

Affiliate Claim

PBE Affiliate

Milestones Claim

Milestones

286 + 139 + 158 = 583 -> 11 TPE
11 TPE (word count) + 3 TPE (affiliate) + 2 TPE (milestones) = 16 TPE

(This post was last modified: 01-01-2023, 09:23 PM by McGriddy10. Edited 6 times in total.)

7. I think Maine will win the Four-Star Cup because of the level of depth on their roster. One example of depth is rookie Patrice Bergeron. Patrice was slotted pretty much everywhere in his 26 games this regular season, which shows that he is a versatile player and can play from any place on the ice. In the playoffs, Bergeron has played RW on the 2nd Line, which was a promotion for him and he did not disappoint his team management posting 3 Goals and 4 Assists with a +/- of +4. Bergeron also posted the 2nd highest face-off win percentage on the team in his short regular season. This shows that Bergeron is going to be a threat for the next 3 seasons in the SMJHL with Maine. Maine has been in this spot before, last year specifically, winning it all in 7 games against Quebec. Maine seems to be the underdog against Detroit.153 words +3 TPE

18. Milestones +1 TPE

Timber Timber Timber Timber Timber Timber Timber Timber Timber Timber Timber

[Image: McGriddy10.gif]
Credit to @KaleSalad, @Ragnar, @ValorX77, @sulovilen, and @enigmatic for my Sigs

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2022, 08:07 PM by Nictox. Edited 1 time in total.)

6. Team History [300 - 6 TPE]

The St Louis Scarecrows were not always the strawed filled figures standing in fields. They first came into the league in season 5 as the Boston Battalion. They lasted until season 9 when they relocated and changed their name to Chicago Hitmen. Keeping with the three season tradition, the Hitmen relocated and changed their name to what we now know as the St Louis Scarecrows. The team has remained in St Louis since then where they have won multiple Four Star Cups, including a three peat in season 44, season 45, and season 46. St Louis is also one half of what I consider to be the most heated rivalry in the SMJHL and SHL. The Scarecrows and the Detroit Falcons had a long history of battling it out in the playoffs with lots of chirping between the two teams. The flames of the rivalry may have been put out, I would love to see that happen again, in good fun of course. You may be familiar with the “Scarecrow Noises” chant that used to be flung around during the games. What you may not know is that it started as a joke to mock the Kelowna Knights who were screaming “Chivalry Noises” during a short stretch of time. Another little fun fact, ex-St Louis Scarecrow general manager, TML, holds the record for longest tenured general manager in SHL history. While some might speculate that he was a ghost for the last few seasons or so, I know that is not true. He may not have been the most active manager around, but he was always around to talk and hang out. The St Louis Scarecrows has a long and storied history full of ups and downs that is enough to inspire anyone who takes the time to study it.

12. On the Radar - [414 - 8 TPE]

This is Nicholas Williams coming at you with another scouting report. This week we take a deep dive into a player who currently plays with the St Louis Scarecrows, my old team. This player has had an exciting rookie season putting up 14 goals for a total of 41 points. Not only could he put points on the board, he ended the season with 148 hits. Pretty impressive for a rookie forward who was not known for their hitting before coming into the league. Have you guessed the player yet? None other than Italian winger Luca Pane. Luca Pane was a first round pick in the season 68 SMJHL entry draft. Being picked 11th overall by St Louis, Luca quickly became accustomed to the North American ice. The kid can play, he has a smaller frame but he throws it around with the biggest of them.
Why should an SHL team take interest in Luca? You might be asking yourself, why do I care about this kid? One of his rookie teammates put up 53 points? I would argue against it.. Highly. Luca is a whole package of a player. The right winger plays physical, can score goals, or even set up his linemates. Luca is the player flexible enough to fit multiple offensive roles on the ice. Want him down in the corners fighting for the puck? His physical play will allow it. Need someone to receive that pass? Luca can score. Need someone to make that key pass? You bet Luca has your back! The kid has a natural offensive mind.
But his whole game cannot be that good? You are right. There are weaknesses to his game that I think a good coach or system can help iron out. First off, he is not a center. He is not going to win you the face off draws you may need. Secondly, his 200 foot game needs work. While he can make the hit without taking the penalty, his defensive positioning needs work. Not a big deal for a young player who still has time to learn.
What does he bring to a team and their locker room? Luca Pane has leadership written all over him. The kid is smart and reserved. He encourages teammates to go for it and radiates confidence that is highly contagious. He brings a positive look after negative outcomes and always sees things on the bright side. You cannot go wrong with a kid like Luca Pane.

18. Milestones - 2 TPE
Milestones 

[Image: Niktox.gif]
Monarchs Berserkers Scarecrows [Image: italian-flag.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=tO...eKFgvtgqU=]

Specters Armada Scarecrows Czechia
Panthers Specters Jets Scarecrows Usa [Image: 4star.png] [Image: challengecup.png] [Image: challengecup.png]
RIP Dangel #AD26 | RIP TDZ
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2023, 12:13 AM by Randominoe. Edited 2 times in total.)

2. Since we have actually just concluded the 68th season, and are fast approaching the 69th SMJHL Entry Draft, I will use this opportunity to speak on what I feel are the areas that Kelowna should target in order to see an improved performance next season. We entered last season's draft with an astounding six draft picks in the top 37 selections, which projected well the future of the franchise. However, one season later, two of those six selections have since fallen out of love with the sport of hockey, coupled with no waiver selections throughout the season. This leaves the S69 Knights draft class much closer to average than many would have predicted. Moving forward, there are four gaping holes in terms of skating positions with the BC-based team, two on offense and two on defense. Up front, centers are the name of the game entering this offseason for the Knights, as they will be left with only one center with any sort of faceoff ability. Meanwhile, on defense, there is a need for both an offensive-minded and defensive-minded player to supplement the D-corps. (184 Words)

3. Competitive edges are tough to come by in a league filled with such parity as the modern SMJHL. With that being said, if I were in charge of the Kelowna Knights I would be doing everything in my power to field a roster capable of contending for next season's four-star cup. Considering we finished as one of the bottom two teams this past season, we are guaranteed a playoff spot in the upcoming season, meaning that the rookies will have time to acclimate to the league before important hockey begins. One improvement that needs to be seen on the development side of the game is faceoffs. Kelowna only utilized one faceoff taker that had a rating at 13 or above and will need to look to the draft or trade markets to supplement that position for the upcoming season. It is also important that each and every player, regardless of age, continues attending practices and developing their skills throughout the season in order to elevate our chances of winning the championship with each passing week. (175 Words)

5. I actually do believe I am the individual that brings entertainment and engagement to the Knights locker room, and this is a great exercise in how I do just that. Moving into the next season where our team is expected to be in contention for the championship, these antics are even more important than ever. Our captain Jacques Hammer is the easiest of the bunch given his surname, and would likely be touted as most likely to end up a carpenter. Next up is Ekaterina Valieva, who based on their strong performances in the goalscoring department, would likely be assigned most likely to be an army sniper. After that, we look to Finn Brandt, who is the most likely player to move to an Antarctic settlement. Adam Liebold is up next winning the nomination for most likely to become an SHL GM, which he is one step away from. Moving on, having been drafted by the Atlanta Inferno, Pete Aleman is the most likely to become an arsonist. (168 Words)

6. History is built into the culture of the Knights locker room that continues to be passed on from management team to management team, and that can only be attributed to the fact that Kelowna is one of the oldest SMJHL franchises that remain in existence. Having won the four-star cup twelve times in their history, winning is also an integral factor in the Knights' culture, but they are on a lengthy streak of seasons without the taste of victory. The last championship brought to eastern British Columbia was back in S59, which means that the upcoming season marks the tenth season since then. Obviously, the meta changes over time, so it is tough for tactical anomalies to persist over time, but something that stands out as a pattern throughout franchise history is early success in particular decades. What showcases this fact is the back-to-back championship victories in the early 20s, early 30s, and early 40s. If this were in fact a certainty, then Kelowna fans should be excited as the beginning of the S70s are soon to begin. (178 Words)

This should total 700 words which would grant me the remaining 14 TPE coupled with milestones below.

18. Milestones +2 TPE