Create Account

(GRADED) Deep Dive #1 - Whalers Rookie Recap
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2023, 05:43 PM by Scrufdaddy. Edited 2 times in total.)

Vancouver's draft provided a mixed bag in the grand scheme this season. Their first two picks were definitely hits and while two others showed promise, they seem to have tapered off.

7th Overall - Klaes Ashford - Center
Ashford was a fairly safe bet even though his management has a history of checking out after a few seasons. He probably won't go this high in the SHL Draft but it was an easy choice for Vancouver. He didn't really stand out among his fellow classmates but he did fine based on his circumstances with 19 goals and 18 assists. I'd expect him to have a much better sophomore outing but hopefully Vancouver can provide him with a strong supporting cast.

22nd Overall - Noah Charlevoix - Goalie
Noah was another safe bet and he was the day one starter for the Whalers this season. He struggled at times but no more than the rest of the team. Unfortunately he led the league in goals allowed but a lot of that was beyond his control. Vancouver were looking to be a contender early this season but fell of hard toward the midway point. Noah did what he could but Vancouver was very much a team looking to survive and rebuild than looking to win. If Vancouver can shore up their defense they will probably be able to win a handful more games next season.

36th Overall - Kool-Aid McKinstry - Left Wing
This one looks like a steal on paper but the numbers don't tell the whole story. McKinstry was third in points for Vancouver and second in goals, spending his season playing on the first line. He was playing lights out and had a fantastic rookie season but any standard, much better than Ashford. Sadly he seems to have checked himself out just as things were getting good and stopped showing up to practice shortly after Thanksgiving. This guy came in with a lot of energy and lived up to it on the ice but he just didn't have the drive to last an entire season. It's still not too late for him to turn it around and start working again but it's hard to say what will happen with him. Great pick either way and he served Vancouver well this season.

50th Overall - Trippy Volta - Right Wing
This was kind of a best pick available situation. He did fine, getting 25 points on the season but I don't expect him to be making too much noise unless he starts practicing again.

Sam Conroy - Goalie
Sam was signed during the season rather than drafted. He has fit in fairly well in the locker room but I'm not sure if he will be a Whaler long-term since Noah seems to be the starter. However Conroy could be hot on Noah's heels heading into the offseason and if Conroy ends up staying in Vancouver things could get interesting when it comes to who the starter will be. Sometimes a little competition is good to motivate players and that's how I see this one playing out.

I can't really give this draft a thumbs up or a thumbs down so I'll just give it a thumbs in the middle. They hit on their picks for the season but the long-term payoff on some of them may not be there. Hopefully Vancouver can bring in some more fresh blood in the next draft and continue to climb back up the ranks.

Quote:588 words

[Image: ashford.png]

Whalers
[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]

Renegades  raiders  Finland

@Leoben APPROVED! +5 TPE

[Image: scrufdaddy2.gif]
credit to Flappy, ToeDragon, and Carpy

Patriotes Stars Panthers Platoon Specters Platoon Panthers Specters Aurora Jets Usa Scarecrows

[Image: Tqabyfh.png][Image: UDyqktK.png][Image: 1DL5JDX.png]