Create Account

(GRADED) Deep Dive #2 - Road to the Cup
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2023, 05:46 PM by Scrufdaddy. Edited 1 time in total.)

If you asked me at the start of the playoffs who would have made the Four Star Cup Finals, I'd still be half right. But this is why I don't gamble, I'm always wrong. Detroit, one of my picks, made the final but they are playing against defending champions, Maine, who I had written off. The other team that I predicted to make the finals was bounced by a wild card time, so that was quite a nice upset.

Detroit entered the playoffs in the second round and took on Yukon who had dispatched Colorado with relative ease. Detroit made short work of the Malamutes, getting it done in four games. They then ran up against Carolina who put up an insane fight against the Falcons. Carolina are never an easy opponent and they were going to make Detroit earn their path to the finals. Detroit had a 3-1 lead in the series at one point and it looked like Carolina were finished but they won the next two games in spectacular fashion, 5-1 and 5-0, making the Falcons look like pretenders. Gave 7 proved to be an entertaining affair but Detroit were leading 5-4 heading into the final period, and the final score would end up being 9-6 as it looked like both teams forgot the invite their defense to the game. Detroit definitely earned their spot after that series though.

The other finalist, defending champions Maine Timber, had a much less eventful road to the Cup. The made short work of Anchorage with a 4-1 series win, and had the same result against St. Louis who probably had the upset of the playoffs knocking off powerhouse Nevada Battleborn in the second round. St. Louis had a great cup run but came up short against the defending champions. Maine finished the season in 7th overall but still won the Tamper Town division. They didn't set the world on fire with their offense but their defense was ranked 4th overall. They have quietly had a solid season but I was guilty of overlooking them in the playoffs as everyone was caught up with Nevada and Detroit setting the league on fire. That was just fine for Maine who just quietly did their thing in Tamper Town.

The series is currently tied 1-1 and it would be easy to put all the money on Detroit but I'm done writing off Maine. I can see this one going the full seven games now and the real question is, can Maine's stalwart defense shut down the explosive firepower that Detroit bring into every game? Or will Detroit just continue to shred them up and walk their way to the Cup. It's a classic question and a tale as old as hockey. Offense or Defense? You can't win without scoring so it should be an easy answer. While the playoffs provided few surprises this season, this is actually one matchup I didn't expect to see. If I absolutely have to pick a winner I thing Detroit will squeeze it out in seven games.

Quote:525 words

[Image: ashford.png]

Whalers
[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]

Renegades  raiders  Finland

@Leoben APPROVED! +5 TPE

[Image: scrufdaddy2.gif]
credit to Flappy, ToeDragon, and Carpy

Patriotes Stars Panthers Platoon Specters Platoon Panthers Specters Aurora Jets Usa Scarecrows

[Image: Tqabyfh.png][Image: UDyqktK.png][Image: 1DL5JDX.png]