Create Account

Froste's Scouting Report - Forwards (1/2) (2x Draft Media)
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2023, 03:27 AM by Froste39. Edited 1 time in total.)

Dominik Froste here.
Since I have 5 seasons in the SMJHL under my belt now I feel confident to do some prfound scouting of new and "new" prospects joing the J.
For better readability I will divide the Report into Forwards and Defense/Goalies, splitting them in multiple parts depending on my time.
If your player hasn't made it into the report it means I am going to include them in the next one, am partially blind, stupid or you created after my report was written. Nothing personal, kid.
There is no particular order for the Prospects.
Pronoun disclaimer: For easier wrting flow I will adress everyone with the "they" pronoun.
1. Oscar Kurtz
Right Wing
Canada
Newgen
The first player I am witnessing already is a Newgen, fantastic!
Kurtz is an average sized player with an average stat distribution. While there is a slight lean into the offensive stats, as expected from a Winger,they are certainly not slacking off in the defensive department (unlike yours truly).
There is no real outlier except from a high base Aggression stat at 13 and Getting Open at 12. As a GTO truther I am very pleased. With a 9 at faceoffs they also position themsleves to expand on this stat should it be needed for their new team.
Overall not the most exciting prospect but a very solid allrounder that can be shaped into any kind of player that the team needs, which might make them even more valuable. Add to that that we have a (most probably) motivated newgen here. Not much to say about activity as they just created 10 hours before my post.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. William Tree
Center
Finland
Recreate
Here comes the first Recreate. William is the reincarnation of a Four Star Cup Champion from my rookie season (Detroit).
Stat-wise they are an obvious Power Forward with high Screening Shooting Accuracy, Offensive Read and Puckhandling, perhaps lacking a bit in the Strength department which just ranks at 10. We also have a 12 for Faceoffs which might make them valuable in teams that have less specialized players for it.
The tradeoff here is that Tree will want to play on the front line and not hang around the defensive perimeters too much. This is reflected by their 5 at shot blocking, shooting range, agression, defensive read and hitting. Teams in need of offensive power should be intrigued, teams interested in defensive capabilities should swipe left.
Tree already did Early Bird, AC and is interested in fantasy so you can expect motivation if they keep this up.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. Hayden Gorrell
Center
Germany
Newgen
Heeeey, another German player joins the league. Always love to welcome my countrymen.
Hayden is the second Center on this list and pretty similar to Tree bio-wise.
They also share the notion to be a purely offensive player. The difference however is that Gorrell takes this to the limit. They are boasting a whooping 14 at Strength to compliment the 11 Screening.
BUT. They also completely, utterly neglect Defense, Faceoffs and Passing with only checking being above 5 (6). We are looking at a pure offensive glasscannon here.
Well me myself also is of the same player type, but I am also a very potent passer which Gorrell neglects completely. To be honest I am not sure if this build will work, since it will be entirely dependent on scoring goals. The potent Screening abilities are not of much use if they can't complete a pass imo.
It remains to be seen. For a final rating just look at my assessment for #2 and mulitply it by 10.
I also will not comment activity because they only joined yesterday as of today.
4. Jae Hyuk Choi
Left Wing
South Korea
Newgen
Didn't know Korea was much of a hockey nation, but here comes Choi, a Newgen from Seoul.
Finally we have a more balanced build again as they boast a lot of double digits in their player card. As expected for a Winger, the stats lean into the offensive but do not abandon defense. If I would try to deduce a style I would say we are looking at a player who wants to play smart. Not too prone on fighting, screening or strength, rather prefering Passing (12), Reading Offenses (13) and having a mean shot (11 ACC, 12 RAN).
Physically they are as average as it can get with 11's nearly all across the board. Overall they look to be very similar to myself which is worth bonus points.
More impressive however is their activity. They already explained interest in Fantasy, did, Rookie Tasks, Suvey, Bounties, Interested Prospects, Early Bird....you name it while having joined under a week ago. I hope they keep this up!
My prediction: We are looking at one of the higher picks here, quite possibly Top 3 for Newgens!
5. Mu Wisconsin
Left Wing
Japan
Recreate
-
In comes another player from the Asian continent. This time Japan makes it's appearance. Yet again we are welcoming an offensive minded winger with weaker, but not catastrophic defensive capabilities. The strongest ratings would be Shooting Acc, GTO, Offensive Read and Puckhandling with solid 12's. Biggest weakness are shot blocking and faceoffs (pfft, who needs faceoffs right?), everything else is rather average.
Jiggly is a verteran, being on the site since 2017 and around for many, many seasons, e.g. winning the WJC in the 40's. S59 they won the Cup with Kelowna.
Now with the power of anime they seem to be motivated for another run. Some activity can already be seen as Mock's, Intersted prospects and Early Bird have been targeted.
6. Tony Soprano
Center
Sweden
Recreate
Well, I did expect Italien but not swedish heritage, intriguing. Time for another Recrate and time for another average stat distribution leaning into the offensive side. Strongest suits for Tony are GTO, Puckhandling, Checking, Balance, Strength and Acceleration with 12. Biggest weaknesses are Blocking, Fighting (5) and Screening (6). Tony definetely wants to dish out damage but would rather not receive some. I can sympathize. Gurbs has been around since 2019 and holds some important jobs, being the IIHF Federation head.
Activity looking good. Interested Prospects, Early Bird, Catch Up, Mock Draft, all in progress. Soprano will definetely find a loving home early.
7. Herry Chedda
Left Wing
Canada
Newgen
In comes a Newgen with a cheesy name. Harry uses a rsky stat distribution and definetely specializes in being a speedy, glasscannon - Sharpshooter. This is reflected by their very high ACC, Speed, Acceleration and Puckhandling(13), followed by the impressive Range at 12. Defensively they are not a bust and can probably hold their own. A potential flaw in their game could be their lack of on-field intelligence with Off-Read at 5 and Def-Read at 8. If teams can compliment this by putting Chedda near strong playmakers they will shoot and score whenever he feels like, but without them Chedda will struggle to create scoring opportunities by themselves.
Another concern is Activity as they have created on the 31st of Decmber but failed to have any meaningful activity since then.
8. Anthony Simmons II
Right Wing
USA
Recreate
Well, take glass cannon and take it literally. Here is the second iteration of Anthony Simmons. And he doesn't want to have body contact with you. Why? Because he runs 5 at Hitting and Checking. What does he want to do?
Annoy the sh*t out of your Goalie and tear a hole in your net. We are talking about 13 Screening, GTO and ACC here. You thought he was weak on defense with his no contact-clause? How about 12's at Positioning, Stickchecking, Defensive Read and Shot Blocking?
Anthony really wants to play it smart and I respect that. Easily one of the more interesting builds I have seen. Will it work? I am not sure. However they recreated after only one season so they probably have found something that will work and try to correct past mistakes.
While being a Recreate Simmons II can be seen as a Newgen. Activity-wise they already made splashes to pull ahead in the TPE race with Intersted Prospects, Catch Up, AC's.
Let's see if the alternate timeline pays of for Anthony.
9. Sergey Bombay
Right Wing
Russia
Recreate
Now that is a veteran. A season 10(!) Challenge Cup champion being around since 2011. I should probably know them, but I am rather new mayself so apologies. Anyways, down to the stats:
We are looking at a very balanced 2 Way Forward here, the only outlier being ACC atr 13 and Acceleration, Stickchecking, Puckhandling, Balance, Speed at 12.
Activity-wise I can only see two AC's done, nothing else yet.
10. Daisuke Nakamura
Right Wing
Japan
Recreate
Here comes the next japanese player and it seems to be an absolute unit. Nakamura seems to impersonate a mountain with a whooping 14 Strength and a mean shot at 13 ACC and 12 RAN. Overall they look to fill a more offensive role but also have some points invesated in defense, most notably 12 into Defensive Read.
Interestingly they opted to just go with 5 at Screening, which would have imo very much complimented the high Strength value and rather decided to spend the points on Offense. Speed and Acceleration being only at 5 screams DANGER for a winger though imo. It could be possible that Nakamura is just too slow to make use of their superb scoring qualities, but this might be something they will work on. All in all the build could be considered risky and hit-or-miss.
User Southie has been around for a while (2020) and even managed to get a Gold Medal in the WJC on my DACH team (one season before I was nominated actually).
Activity-wise they already checked a lot of boxes with fanatsy, Early Bird, Intersted Prospects and Catch Up already being taken care of.
11. Wilhelm von Hindenburg II
Center
Germany
Recreate
Another German! Außergewöhnlich!
Wilhelm is one of many people who lean into the offensive side of things without wanting to sacrifice all defensive capabilities, but they accept more treadeoffs than others by having Shot Blocking, Bravery and Stick Checking at 5.
They try to cpomensate for this by bolstering their offensive capabilities to 12 in many key categories and also raising Balance/Strength to 12 as well. There also is the potential for Power Forward gameplay with appropiate Weight/Height and Screening at 12.
User The Flash is a 2019 veteran with quite some awards under their belt. Having won 2 Four Star Cups and a number of WJC IIHF golds already in their career, they sure know how to reach success in the J.
They also did a lot of stuff activity-wise already, which should set them up for a good draft position.
12. Skoomina Hulk a Votto III
Left Wing
Germany
Recreate
Another One. Jeez. And what in the actual is that name. I will just say Bauer, ok?
User Bauer dashes into the new season with one of the riskiest build I have seen so far, boasting a 15 (Passing) and 14 (Shooting Acc) in their opening dossier.
Looking at the defensive capabilites it is safe to say that they do not give a damn about them. All about the Assisting and Scoring here. Another glass cannon, ready to fire.
Bauer is also an experienced user who knows how to win cups, highlighted by being part of them dominating Newfoundland team that claimed ownership of the cup for a couple of seasons in the 60's.
Activity-wise there has really been nothing noteworthy as they haven't even done an AC.
That is all for this edition. Will try to improve formatting for the next ones. I plan to include the rest of the forwards in the next post, before I turn to the other side of the ice.
Constructive Criticism is greatly appreciated. Tell me if you want the other prospects covered!

[Image: Nevada-Froste.jpg][Image: froste.png]
Signatures by myself and Ragnar

Battleborn Monarchs

[Image: Piastri2.png?ex=65ba64d4&is=65a7efd4&hm=...462889f09&]
[Image: or8VMxO.gif]

There is 42 prospects for the draft, keep it up!

Very interesting! Not a bad draft, but not as good as the S69. Almost half of them are new user so we'll see!

[Image: SyiOY8U.png]
[Image: un22.png] [Image: 5tu6.png]

Cheers!!

[Image: gurbs.gif]

I do have an update page, but I am just now realizing that I may have put it in the wrong forum.

[Image: KouSaotomeUndraftedSigSmol.png]
Jamie T Wrote:But I wish I'd been a little more exceptional
And I wish I'd been a little unconventional
But I was not enough, no, I'm not enough

01-10-2023, 07:18 PMJiggly_333 Wrote: I do have an update page, but I am just now realizing that I may have put it in the wrong forum.
moved it for you

01-10-2023, 07:25 PMRuggsy Wrote:
01-10-2023, 07:18 PMJiggly_333 Wrote: I do have an update page, but I am just now realizing that I may have put it in the wrong forum.
moved it for you
Edited!

[Image: Nevada-Froste.jpg][Image: froste.png]
Signatures by myself and Ragnar