Create Account

S69 Draft Tiers [2X Media]
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2023, 03:55 PM by PremierBromanov. Edited 3 times in total.)

It's very hard to grade any individual team on the draft only days after the thing has happened. And, its even harder giving them a letter grade or a score out of 5, since it requires a much deeper knowledge of the league and users than I currently have. Therefore, I’ve decided to use Tiers to grade each team. Within each tier, there is no order. It’s my best guess at how the team did, but basically saying “You’re just as good as anyone in this tier”. That said, I realize that C and B tier sound like failures, but it’s really not. Those tiers aren’t to say “This team scored 70% or 80%” but rather “This team was one tier below the one above it”.

Also, I’m asking for your grace on these gradings, as I don’t know every user and I don’t know what players said to what teams, and I don’t know much about the draft class itself.

C Tier

Look, let's not pretend that any team can really have a "bad" draft this early. It is by no means an absolute measure of the teams involved, but the impact of this draft on the team is minor compared to other teams

Stars Toronto Stars
Picks:
None

The Stars walked into this pick with a 4th round pick and walked out with nothing. There’s not much to say here, they made their bed and in this draft they get to sleep in it. It’s not a bad move, but the impact of this specific draft is, obviously, very low.

Rage Manhattan Rage
Picks:
None

No picks, no impact. If we had a D-tier, we’d toss Manhattan in there. Look, I understand that a team may have no picks and that usually means more picks in earlier or later drafts, but even a late 2nd has potential to turn into an asset and Manhattan passed at #39. Is the budget really that tight? I don’t know. Small draft class too. Still, there’s a comfort in doing nothing. Might as well focus on the players you already have

Argonauts Seattle Argonauts
Picks:
None

The back to back cup champs don’t really have to explain themselves. Walking into the draft with the 27th pick, Seattle trades it to Edmonton for a S73 EDM 2nd. It’s a risk, because there’s no telling where a pick that far away will land. But it’s a win, because Seattle doesn’t need anyone right now, and 27 is pretty late for a draft this small. That leaves Seattle with a 28th, which they trade to ATL for a S72 ATL 2nd. Again, rolling the dice, but they dont need it. Lastly, they have a 60th. Not really anything to do with that, so Seattle stands pat. I like this draft for Seattle and I think they did exactly what they need to do. However, it’s a C-Tier impact compared to the rest of the league.

Forge Philadelphia Forge
Picks:
#32 - Matt Ox - LD - MattBake12 (#44 TPE)

It's tough to look at the philly draft and think "Wow, they really won". They only drafted one player and it was late in the 2nd. Matt is a stellar user and also plays in ISFL, so he's no stranger to the way sim leagues can be. However, he doesn't appear to be as active as one would hope, especially for the only pick in a small draft class. The only thing we can really grade a team on is the raw data of it, not the user or their presence in the LR. In terms of the raw data, Philly put themselves in the C tier. I'd bet money that Matt can prove me wrong, though

Platoon Baltimore  Platoon
Picks:
#63 - Alphonso Davies (IA)

Baltimore, while not really making a big splash, quietly turned a 7th overall pick into 2 S71 firsts  (ATL and TEX). It takes a lot of courage to look at a draft and say "You know what, we can do better" and kick the can down the road. It's risky, but clearly BAP is aligning their rebuild window a little differently. With a glut of prospects in the pipeline already, and only one 1st round pick and nothing else until round 4, baltimore made a smart move in delaying. Without staggering their picks, they would have risked not being able to sign the team, and shortening their overall competitive window. This way, baltimore has more shots at the cup in the future.

B Tier

B-tier is for teams who did pretty good in the draft, but aren't clear cut winners.

Wolfpack New England Wolfpack
Picks:
#9 - Pork Tenderloin - LD - Rankle (#8 TPE)
#49 - Walter Ulrich (IA)
#69 - Patrick Beaumont - C - Southie (#61 TPE)

Without much to work with this draft, New England made the best of it. #9 with Rankle should be a slam dunk home run touchdown of a pick. I can speak to this more easily than I can speak to others, so take my bias with a bit of salt. Rankle proved that he can go the distance, even when handicapped with lower TPE (<1700 Peak), setting records for Tampa Bay along the way. This player, he’ll prove he can earn just as well as the top dawgs. Walter Ulrich, while currently inactive, is a user from years past with a massive bank account. Perhaps Luke knows something we don’t with this pick. Perhaps he is due for activity very soon. Even so, with the legendary 69th pick of Southie, NEW hopes to turn a 4th round pick into diamonds. I think Luke can prove me wrong, but on paper I can’t quite put this draft in the A-Tier.

Aurora Winnipeg  Aurora
Picks:
#5 - Petr Vrána - LW - Randominoe (#1 TPE)

For the Aurora, this draft is exactly what they wanted. They got their guy and no slouch in the TPE either. They don't have any pressing needs, having built their roster in season's past, so Vrana is a no-risk high-reward pick. With only one pick in the draft, the Aurora made the most of it and got one of the best players. However, with only one pick in the draft, Winnipeg doesn’t quite have the impact that some of the other teams have had.

Monarchs Minnesota Monarchs
Picks:
#1 - Luca Pane - RW - Nictox (#7 TPE)
#23 - Rikaad Metzller - RD - Lazyeye (#42 TPE)
#43 - Mushu the Dragon - C - Tonzy (#36 TPE)

Hard to argue with the #1 overall in the draft. It's almost always a win, and this is no exception. Nictox is a well known, dedicated user, and the difference between #7 and #1 in TPE is negligible. The other two picks I don't know very well, but they both appear active, however both are slightly behind on the TPE scale (at least what's been updated). Every SHL team knows that consistent earners are better than top earners who quit, so minnesota walks out of this draft with a few irons in the fire, ready to turn coals into diamonds or whatever. I dont know, that metaphor got away from me. You get it.

Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard
Picks:
#8 Antoine Beauregard - RW - Count Chocula (#12 TPE)
#27 Edžus Ozolins - LW - Seany148 (#52 TPE)
#48 George Walsh - G - Hoovah (#33 TPE)

Edmonton did pretty well this draft, picking up well known users like Count Chocula and Hoovah, as well as a newer user in Seany148, who is already making a good name for himself in Great Falls. In terms of TPE, the Edmonton draft doesn’t blow me away, but the users added to their crew should leave them more than happy. Grabbing Hoovah with such a late pick is also a great win for the team as Edmonton makes use of the fact that not everyone needs a goalie. Say what you will about goalies, they are still run by users and at the end of the day, you cant have a good team without great users.

Stampede Buffalo Stampede
Picks:
#18 Grimmjow Jaegerjaquez - RW - Samsung virtual assistant (#6 TPE)
#38 Patricija Ozerova - C - Myspace (#39 TPE)

Buffalo certainly has a history of finding the best diamonds among a field of diamonds. However, with only 2 picks in this draft, the impact isn’t as huge as other teams, nor even compared to their past drafts. Even so, #18 with SVA is a great pickup, absolutely no brainer for Buffalo. SVA is a long tenured, well known user with a history of success. Myspace is a newer user, but we know Buffalo is capable of finding the new users that will turn into dedicated veteran users in the end. Both should be great additions to their LR.

syndicate Chicago syndicate
Picks:
#25 - Mr. Gray T White - RW - iStegosauruz (#34 TPE)
#37 - Marquise Hill - RW -  Marlo (#37 TPE)
#42 - Jacob Fournier - RW - Matty7478 (#32 TPE)

Another team with little to work with in terms of picks, Chicago I think deserves some attention for picking well. At 25 is iStegosauruz, a fan favorite around numerous LRs and a pretty good earner. Then, they sneak in Marlo at 37, a user with a decade of experience and potential to be an ace up the sleeve of Chicago. Finally is Matty, another well liked user. Matty’s original player was cut short, but made a big splash. Since then, it seems Matty is more interested in the J than the big leagues, which perhaps explains why he was picked up 42nd. Still, if Chicago can get Matty into the LR, that in and of itself should be a pick well spent.

Patriotes Montreal Patriotes
Picks:
#29 - Damien Hirano - LW - damienj10 (#17 TPE)
#36 - Wonada Jagrs - RW - overdoo (#27 TPE)

With no first round picks, and only 2 second round picks, Montreal walks away with a big win. Damien has been around the league for 7 years and unlike some of the other long time users isn’t falling behind in the TPE race. That’s tough to find, especially at #29. One wonders if this is exactly where damien wanted to go. And overdoo at 36 seems very surprising to me, it makes me wonder if he only really wants to make a J player. If not, what a pick. Montreal enters the draft with 2 late picks in a small draft and walk out with two knowledgeable, dedicated, beloved users. Excellent use of the picks, but one or two more mightve put them into the A tier.

A Tier
A tier is for teams who had a great draft and really impacted their team's future. Exceeded expectations.

pride San Francisco  pride
Picks:
#4 - Oskar Scholz - LW - karlssens (#3 TPE)
#6 - Peter Tingle - C - Ricer13 (#21 TPE)
#17 - Dusty Wilson - LD - dustywillson22 (#20 TPE)

San Fran made 3 picks this draft, more than most and all within the 1st round. They certainly made great use of their #4 pick with karlssens, a legendary user around the league. Dusty and Ricer are much newer, with slim bank margins to work with. However, they are both consistent in the free tasks which is the hardest part. The bank can be solved, dedication to tasks cannot. They are not very far behind in the TPE race either, 20 and 21 are nothing to sneeze at. It's rare for a user as new as Ricer to go #6 in the draft, especially considering the strength of the draft (despite it's size), so it is clear that SF sees a ton of potential there. SF did not make a trade to move back, so it's obvious that they thought Ricer was valued as such by other GMs. Still, a risk is a risk. There's a philosophy at play here: Draft well known, long tenured users with histories and connections all over the league, or mold a new user into a loyal member of your squad? I don't want to focus too much thought on a single user, but a 6th pick has a lot of potential, so there are big shoes to fill!

Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks
Picks:
#16 - Clint Clampton - RD - HanTheMan_  (#22 TPE)
#21 - Gritty McGritterson - RW - JSS331 (#35 TPE)
#41 - Noah Charlevoix - G - charlieconway (#30 TPE)

Only a fool would bet against Hamilton. As the worst team in the league, you’d expect more picks or higher ranked picks for Hamilton, but they’re a team that really knows what they want out of a draft. And are they wrong? At #16, they pick up HanTheMan, a great user on their second player. Similarly to Rankle, Han didn’t have a high ceiling on their first player, but proved their dedication nonetheless and now has a chance to prove their earning potential. Longevity and high earning is a deadly combo. JSS went 21st, another high quality user who is well known around the league, a little behind on TPE but we know that has never really mattered with hamilton. Finally, they pick up what they hope is their future goalie and another stellar user in charlie conway. If I were a betting man, I’d say Hamilton had these 3 names at the top of their list and picked them up no problem. A win is a win is a win.

Dragons Calgary Dragons
Picks:
#13 - David Doug - RD - TheSparkyDee (#18 TPE)
#34 - Matthew LeClaire - C - ZapBanned (#9 TPE)
#53 - Marc Gorman - RW - Dreamdeath (#47 TPE)

The Dragons have to be happy with this draft. SparkyDee going 13th is more a testament to the strength of the draft than his own value, but it is still shocking nonetheless. Any other draft you can expect a lot of these mid-first round picks to have gone top 5. Yet still, they manage to add LeClaire, one of the top earners, to their roster with a 2nd round pick. Lastly, they pick up Dreamdeath, a new user who now has the opportunity to prove himself to the world.

Panthers Los Angeles  Panthers
Picks:
#3 -  Georg N'Zola - LW - retuperkele (#2 TPE)
#19 - Ray Alexander - LW - TheRoyalEmpoleon (#24 TPE)
#22 - Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz - G - Zerg (#19 TPE)
#40 - Copernicus Doomslatter - G - trella (#43 TPE)
#45 - Aurora Azjha - RW - Aurora (#54 TPE)
#65 - Kelly O'Neil (IA)

Low Angeles should be in the conversation for one of the draft's winners. They added a great user in retuperkele, who is also a top earner, as well as a handful of consistent earners. Among them are Zerg and trella, a goalie tandem that will likely pay dividends. Trella has been on record as wanting to create a lifer backup, which makes this pick not only easy to make, but easy to succeed. Trella is also a veteran user who has been with the league longer than most, and has strong connections with the LAP crew. Aurora, while being behind in the TPE race, is still active and should make them a solid pickup so late in the draft.  This draft will not only help the roster, but the locker room as well (if it even needs it).

Specters  New Orleans  Specters

Picks:
#10 Hugh Manius - RD - Bonk (#15 TPE)
#30  Walt "Clyde" Frazier - RW - SlappyDoodle (#29 TPE)
#31 4 Chainz - RW - Dewalt27 (#25 TPE)
#33 Edward Flinders - LW - Avakael (#31 TPE)
#50 Cole Dasice - LD - Icebear32 (#60 TPE)
#70 Sam Conroy - G - Dean_Melanson (#41 TPE)

I have to say it wasn’t obvious until I started grading the draft, but New Orleans really made a splash. For all the worth 1st round picks usually carry, New Orleans found real gems with their 2nd rounds instead. At number 10, Bonk is a great pickup. Well liked user, big bank, and with a solid history in the SHL. For 30 and 31, they manage to pick up 2 more well known users. SlappyDoodle perhaps carries a reputation with him (if my memory servers, which it often does not), but NOLA knows they have a dedicated user who can earn consistently. Dewalt, better known as Golden Face, is also a dedicated user, ready to prove himself again with his second player. Then, another great pick in Avakael at 33, a long time user with a huge bank account. 31st in TPE shouldn’t scare anyone, as the race is pretty tight this early in the rankings. Then, with the last 2 picks, they add some new users who, while a little behind on the TPE race, still have decent enough bank accounts and are active. This is what thorough scouting looks like. This looks like an easy win for New Orleans, with 6 low risk high reward picks.

S Tier

Wow. Incredible. We knew you'd be good, but this good? Well done.

Inferno Atlanta Inferno

Picks:
#7 - Billy Herrington - RW - Ferda (#11 TPE)
#28 - John Hopoate - C - .simo (#13 TPE)
#35 - e e - LW - GeckoeyGecko - (#14 TPE)

I didn’t know it before doing this draft review, but Atlanta may have run away with this draft as the clear frontrunners. It’s one of those drafts you look at and wonder if every player conspired together to land here. In terms of trades, Atlanta also did very well. Atlanta traded up to 7th for the price of the 15th overall and a S71 ATL 1st and also added the #28th pick for the price of a S72 ATL 2nd. I love these trades for a few reasons. Number one, Atlanta aligns a “rolling rebuild” closer to their current success. In 5 or 6 seasons, Atlanta should still be competitive and they’ll be adding new stars to their roster all at once. No need to spread the draft out. Number two, their trade partners also win out by collecting picks for later by spending picks they dont actually need. Win win. And win, for us the audience. Now, at #7 is Ferda who is an easy pick to make. Atlanta saw Ferda on the board and made a move. Ferda should be happy about that and Atlanta is happy to get a stellar user and top earner. What’s surprising is the level of talent still available in the 2nd round. Atlanta AGAIN sees their guy available at 28 and says “lets go for it”. Simo is also a great user and a top earner. And then later at 35 they have GeckoeyGecko, a league favorite and top earner. Just in terms of TPE, atlanta already wins. But when you combine all the factors of these users, they basically have rebuilt their entire core on the fly. Some real buffalo type shit right there.

Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda
Picks:
#2 - Johnny Wagner-Svenson - RW - AgentSmith630 (#16 TPE)
#11 - Jølñgüštrâädæviñçh DuBølk - RD - _MCP (#5 TPE)
#12 - Klaes Ashford - C - Leoben (#4 TPE)
#24 - FITTED PRIMETIME99 CUDDLES - LW - Fitted2106 (#23 TPE)
#44 - Elias Adelberg - G - SkittlesInMyBunghole (#45 TPE)
#64 - Trevor Cox (IA)
#84 - Trevor Warner (IA)
#104  - Jason Fourium (IA)
#124 - Edouard Tremblay-Lafleur (IA)
#144 - WIlliam Boucher (IA)

I’m half tempted to give Tampa Bay an F for making me look up and type so many names. Fortunately for them, I think they fuckin’ nailed it, pardon my french. At number 2, they pick up one of if not the most sought after member of this draft. Easy win right there. What more needs to be said of AgentSmith? And yet they hit another 2 home runs with MCP and Leoben at 11 and 12. It’s surprising to me that both were available and perhaps speaks to both user’s desire to land there. Even so, picking up two of the best earners in the class along with 2 dedicated, well known, well liked users mid-first-round is an incredible feat in and of itself. You all know what a big fan of Fitted I am, so this will come as no surprise that I have high praise for Tampa. Tampa already put themselves into an S category at this point, but to be able to add Fitted to the list is phenomenal. At 44, no doubt dipping into his contacts in carolina, Dwight picks up Adelberg, a goalie. If this pick is any indication, Skittles must be a good user. I usually trust that when a Carolina player ends up in Tampa, it’s for good reason. And of course, Tampa does like to grab every IA in the draft for no reason, so the last 5 picks are whatever. Dwight manages to replicate Tampa’s legendary draft in the early 50s, we just hope this time their window isn’t closed early again.

Renegades Texas Renegades

Picks:
#14 - Tiberius Kane - LW - PremierBromanov (thats me) (#26 TPE)
#15 - Jack McCarthy - LD - Operation Ivy (#28 TPE)
#20 - James Dion - C - Leatherneckmike (#10 TPE)
#26 - Patrice Bergeron - C - McGriddy10 (#38 TPE)
#46 - Ryan Kennedy - C - AJK987 (#53 TPE)
#54 - Tobias Wrezks (IA)
#66 - Happy Gilmore - C - LucidDreams702 (#56 TPE)
#86 - Kool-Aid McKintrsy (IA)

Call me biased, but to me Texas has themselves a winning draft. I know first hand that Texas is extremely pleased with the draft they made, especially grabbing yours truly and trading a S71 TEX 1st to pick up Operation Ivy. Once again, being in the late 20s in TPE isn’t a huge problem, it’s small potatoes in the end. Even so, they also grabbed Leatherneckmike, a user who is familiar with other leagues and has put in the work to land himself in the top 10 earners of the class. It’s hard to go wrong with 2 first round picks, but adding another on top of it and landing 3 dedicated users to your roster is no small feat. But, there’s still 6 more picks to go. With #26 they pick up Bergeron, a new user who has put his whole heart into Texas since joining. Users in the S69 discord know this is a win. This league knows you can’t win without dedicated users, and Texas looks to have picked up 4 so far. With 46, they grab Ryan Kennedy, a player with pretty low TPE but still active. With such a late pick, it’s low risk high reward. Tobias Wrezks, while inactive, still has a massive bank account to work with and has been in this league for over a decade. The only thing holding Maxy back is motivation, it seems. With such a massive draft, Texas clearly defines another aspect of their rebuild that could turn them into a real powerhouse again.

4107 words, ready for grading

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

You said call you biased, so hi biased.

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

01-12-2023, 03:14 PMHabsFanFromOntario Wrote: You said call you biased, so hi biased.

over the line!

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG

I picked 49 and 69 to draft 69th

Rankle the goat though

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

01-12-2023, 03:23 PMluke Wrote: I picked 49 and 69 to draft 69th

Rankle the goat though

and we honor your sacrifice. Rankle is S-tier in my book.

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG

how tf is making three first-round selections (and making a solid trade out for more picks) worse than drafting a user on a conduct final and half the league’s dnd lists

solid list otherwise but that bit surprised me

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

01-12-2023, 03:25 PMboom Wrote: how tf is making three first-round selections (and making a solid trade out for more picks) worse than drafting a user on a conduct final and half the league’s dnd lists

Just going by the list it's heavily by tpe to draft position rankings.

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

01-12-2023, 03:24 PMPremierBromanov Wrote:
01-12-2023, 03:23 PMluke Wrote: I picked 49 and 69 to draft 69th

Rankle the goat though

and we honor your sacrifice. Rankle is S-tier in my book.

Hope you enjoyed the 3 mil I spent drafting you too Smile

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

01-12-2023, 03:25 PMboom Wrote: how tf is making three first-round selections (and making a solid trade out for more picks) worse than drafting a user on a conduct final and half the league’s dnd lists

wrote each piece at the bottom of the page and pasted it in the tiers after, but I think this one may have gotten lost in the sauce. I think you are right, though. Ill bump them up to A.

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG

01-12-2023, 03:01 PMPremierBromanov Wrote: And overdoo at 36 seems very surprising to me, it makes me wonder if he only really wants to make a J player.
Yeah, I don't have the motivation for the SHL anymore, and what I've been doing in the PBE has been chill, and I've been spending my time there. I know what happens when I take too much on so I'm avoiding that Smile A DSFL only player might be in the cards when Jagrs is aged out

I think the point often missed is when a player high in TPE rankings falls, it's likely due to circumstances beyond just "this GM's a genius, look at this steal."

01-12-2023, 04:15 PMHabsFanFromOntario Wrote: I think the point often missed is when a player high in TPE rankings falls, it's likely due to circumstances beyond just "this GM's a genius, look at this steal."

my attempt was to try and mitigate some of this and look at (somewhat) measurable impact. Steals and TPE arent everything, but there's an impact there regardless. You can see it with the Hamilton grade. There may be reasons the players fell where they did, but the impact is tremendous in the hands of that team. Or, a pickup like trella who isn't going to be your star player, but is an asset in the LR. Or the Aurora, who, by all accounts, had a great pick, the likes of which any team would kill for. But because there's only 1 pick, the measured impact isnt as high as the others. Relative to the pick itself, its an S-tier pick, but its only one pick.

The B-tier is filled with great picks, solid steals, and all that. And I was hoping that whatever good words I had to say of the team came through clear and that the Tier itself wasn't at the forefront of people's minds. Maybe it ought to be renamed the A-minus tier.

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG

01-12-2023, 04:50 PMPremierBromanov Wrote:
01-12-2023, 04:15 PMHabsFanFromOntario Wrote: I think the point often missed is when a player high in TPE rankings falls, it's likely due to circumstances beyond just "this GM's a genius, look at this steal."

my attempt was to try and mitigate some of this and look at (somewhat) measurable impact. Steals and TPE arent everything, but there's an impact there regardless. You can see it with the Hamilton grade. There may be reasons the players fell where they did, but the impact is tremendous in the hands of that team. Or, a pickup like trella who isn't going to be your star player, but is an asset in the LR. Or the Aurora, who, by all accounts, had a great pick, the likes of which any team would kill for. But because there's only 1 pick, the measured impact isnt as high as the others. Relative to the pick itself, its an S-tier pick, but its only one pick.

The B-tier is filled with great picks, solid steals, and all that. And I was hoping that whatever good words I had to say of the team came through clear and that the Tier itself wasn't at the forefront of people's minds. Maybe it ought to be renamed the A-minus tier.

I guess grading becomes heavily subjective to a point as well as to knowledge of relationships with players and teams and history but yeah when grading all anybody gives a shit about is the grade lol

Good read! Renegades

[Image: 51LSJnR.png]

I’d put this article in the S Tier.

[Image: ashford.png]

Whalers
[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]

Renegades  raiders  Finland