Create Account

S69 PT #0: City Planner January 22nd @ 11:59 PM (PST)

Please pick ONE prompt to write about. Do not mix and match prompts. Identify the prompt you are using in your submission - Copying and pasting the prompt will deduct from your word count so if you do this make sure YOUR submission is 150+ words excluding the prompt.

CREATIVE PROMPT - In the great tradition of giving your player jobs they did not ask for and probably aren't qualified for, you're now in the city planning office! You've received a giant grant to reimagine the neighbourhood around your home arena. It's all up to your vision! 

Written Task: What kind of accommodations, attractions, restaurants, stores, homes, or parks do you want around your home arena? How would you design the perfect arena neighbourhood? Do you want it to be entirely leisure focused? Full of arcades and bars and carnival games? Or are you going to try something different? Maybe a large surrounding park? A nice quiet residential neighborhood that will send you noise complaints every time there's a game? There's no oversight here, make whatever your heart desires! (150+ words)

Graphic Task: Create a rough mockup of your arena neighborhood, label the buildings surrounding it so we know what they are!

PLAYER PROMPT- I've asked about your players' hometowns and summer homes and all that stuff before, but I don't think I've ever asked about where you all stay during the actual season!  

Written Task:  So where do you live while the season is actually going on? In a condo near the arena? Is your current team the place you've been for a long time? Do you have a permanent home there? Either way, what does it look like? What kind of living situation does your player prefer and why? If they've been traded or signed to a new team or moved from the SMJHL to the SHL at any point, talk about what the move was like! How did they go about choosing a new place to live? (150+ words)

Graphic Task: Depict the inside of your player's house, whatever or wherever that may be! 

You will receive 3 TPE for fulfilling all requirements.

All responses are due on Sunday, January 22nd at 11:59 PST. NOTE: IF YOU SUBMIT/EDIT AFTER THE DEADLINE YOU WILL RECEIVE REDUCED/NO TPE.

Affiliate claims from either PBE or ISFL or WSLB or SSL are accepted; link directly to your post and note if your username is different there.
If you have any questions/concerns, please PM me. Tasks with malicious intent will not be graded. The graders reserve the right to determine malicious intent, after discussion with me. You will not be warned.

This task is for SHL players and send downs only, it is not for SMJHL rookies.

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=661a1734&is=6607a234&hm=b8...1bf5caed8&]
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2023, 02:16 AM by JamesT. Edited 1 time in total.)

Code:
Written Task:  So where do you live while the season is actually going on? In a condo near the arena? Is your current team the place you've been for a long time? Do you have a permanent home there? Either way, what does it look like? What kind of living situation does your player prefer and why? If they've been traded or signed to a new team or moved from the SMJHL to the SHL at any point, talk about what the move was like! How did they go about choosing a new place to live? (150+ words)

During the season Ben Jammin lives in his fancy apartment condo in the heart of downtown Chicago. He has been living here since his rookie season with the team and has gotten used to the weather and city that the windy city has to offer! I would think most SHL players have a residence in the city for which they play for during the season, or they also live with a fellow teammate during the season. Luckily Ben Jammin has a healthy amount of money saved up with all the DJ'ing gigs and banana farms he has stockpiled before his hockey playing days so he was able to afford his own place to live.

The apartment is only a 10 minute drive to the arena so that is amazingly convenient for Ben and allows him extra time to sleep and have extra leeway time to get to the arena and back for his pre-game nap before a game (if the game is in Chicago). For the foreseeable future, this will be Ben Jammin's home during the season while he plays for the Chicago  syndicate

(183 words)

[Image: Jammin.gif]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]
[Image: zS2lCMp.png] [Image: ixmZA3M.png] [Image: pxjucze.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png] [Image: IhVx0wj.png]

Thank you @High Stick King @OrbitingDeath @Ragnar @Tesla for the player signatures! 
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2023, 08:01 PM by Jayba1t. Edited 1 time in total.)

Should have made us create an actual city in C:S smh

pt pass btw

[Image: jay2233.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @High Stick King and @Maxy for the sigs!

Raptors Argonauts 
[Image: m59RPb7.png][Image: FcWmVTl.png]

Answering for the player prompt:

Vaseline Podcalzone has been blessed to have gotten help with finding accommodation in his rookie season in a nice little condo that’s literally just a few minutes walk away from Climate Pledge Arena. For the past ten seasons, Podz has called that condo home during the Seattle Argonauts’ regular season, and he basically spends the bulk of his time there. It’s super convenient and also just in a nice spot in downtown Seattle. Granted, this isn’t Podz’s sole residence. He also has a cabin upstate by the border with British Columbia, allowing him to visit the beautiful scenery in BC during the off-season. Obviously there’s the family home back overseas which he visits during large family reunions either if he has time during the holidays or during the summer. Nevertheless, for the most part, that condo in Seattle is home to Podz, and it’s been that way for over a decade, going on eleven years.

[Image: beegbeegyoshi.gif]
[Image: B7bDIPG.png]
[Image: gospklL.png]

Player task:

William Salming has been a long-time member of Seattle Argonauts. That's why he lives in his own apartment and not on a rent. During his rookie season he lived in a hotel near the hockey rink because he still wasn't sure if he would be needed to be send down back to minors but after two full seasons with the Argonauts, he got a permission to search own apartment. Salming lives in a calm area about 2 kilometres from the arena. There is a large forest area near him where he can run, walk and calm down between tough grinding sessions on the ice. He also likes to use bike when going to practises or games because that way his lungs are more open and he doesn't need specific warm-up before hitting the ice. Salming likes his current living area and plans to stay there until his career is over in the future. We will see how many years he still lives there but he doesn't have rush to move away,

[Image: salming.png]

ISFL Affliate

[Image: m38.gif]
Update Thread - Player Page
Update Scale

Former players:
Ivo Willems (S9 SMJHL) (S10-28 SHL)  
Xander Green  (S33-35 SMJHL) (S36-47 SHL)
Vorian Atreides (S49-51 SMJHL) (S52-61 SHL)

Quote:CREATIVE PROMPT - In the great tradition of giving your player jobs they did not ask for and probably aren't qualified for, you're now in the city planning office! You've received a giant grant to reimagine the neighbourhood around your home arena. It's all up to your vision! 

Written Task: What kind of accommodations, attractions, restaurants, stores, homes, or parks do you want around your home arena? How would you design the perfect arena neighbourhood? Do you want it to be entirely leisure focused? Full of arcades and bars and carnival games? Or are you going to try something different? Maybe a large surrounding park? A nice quiet residential neighborhood that will send you noise complaints every time there's a game? There's no oversight here, make whatever your heart desires! (150+ words)
Oh boy, finally my experience in Cities:Skylines and similar builders is worth something. The most important part would be not too much noise and smog, which is why a public transportation system takes the top of the priority list. Second there should be designated areas for every kind of need.

1."fun areas" with Arcades, Arenas and similar stuff.
2. Commercial sectors with supermarkets, boutiques, furniture sales.
3. Recreation areas with parks, sport fields, lake
4. Housing dsitricts with a lot of houses/flats, preferably fitted with solar panels for autonomy.

It is important that these areas are kept apart of each other to not disturb each other and offer a convenient way of living life. Think of a MMO. YOu want all the quests to be in the same are so you can be efficient on your walks and grab everything at once before going back. I think that would also satisfy my inner perfectionist.

[Image: Nevada-Froste.jpg][Image: froste.png]
Signatures by myself and Ragnar

During the season, John Hopoate doesn't live in a house, he lives in the moment. No but he does live in a real house also. In the off season John Hopoate lives it up and enjoys himself, but during the season there is only one focus and that is ice hockey. He moves himself into a small apartment that is on the top floor but there is no windows. There isn't even rooms or anything really. It is just one big room that is all square and concrete and no way to see out. He keeps no food in his fridge at all through the season except white bread and tinned spagetti. There is nothing to drink in his fridge either except tropical gatorade. He will get home from training, make one sandwich, drink half a bottle and then stare at a wall for 3 hours and then go to bed and be ready for the next day.

[Image: hopoate.png]

Player Prompt

Andy has already been uprooted once to move from his native Canada to join the Squids in Carolina. Once he got there the team provided housing in an all player apartment complex where the main draw is a massive aquarium in the lobby which houses the team's mascot, Kraken the Squid who was born in captivity and never really managed to adapt to life in the wild. So as a result the team took him in to give him safe housing along all the other Squids of the Kraken roster. Like is usually the case with players in minor leagues. The team handles everything from bills to food. The player is just asked to show up and play hockey. Everything else is managed by the org. Leaving them to focus where it matters, without any distractions off the ice.

So far Andy has loved his time there and although the apartment he lives in isn't the biggest. It's nice, modern and has everything he really needs to wind down between practices and games. During the off-season he used some of his salary to rent a cottage and spend some time away from the noise of the city and just reset.

Once Andy makes the move up to Manhattan in the SHL he will likely try and use his first big payday to buy himself a summer house outside the city where he can go and do the same whenever he has time off from the busy schedule of being a pro athlete.

Quote:Written Task: So where do you live while the season is actually going on? In a condo near the arena? Is your current team the place you've been for a long time? Do you have a permanent home there? Either way, what does it look like? What kind of living situation does your player prefer and why? If they've been traded or signed to a new team or moved from the SMJHL to the SHL at any point, talk about what the move was like! How did they go about choosing a new place to live? (150+ words)

I have referenced this before in a previous article I wrote but I can elaborate more.

Spack Jarrow had his own personal ship custom built by one of the greatest builders in the world. It now serves as Jarrow's permanent residence as well as training facility and business office. He spared no expense by having the channel to Lake Winnipeg widened to allow the ship to dock which is where it spends the majority of the year.

The ship, affectionately named, 'Treasure Pleasure' has all the amenities of a small town including a custom built ice-rink that has been fitted with hydraulic-shock absorbers and gyroscopes that keep it level while the ship moves on the water. When Jarrow takes off the skates, he often finds himself spending the majority of his time in his office that is located on one of the lower decks next to the theatre. The ship's stores are fully stocked and can survive at sea for up to a year without any need to dock save for the fuel to keep the generators running.

[ 182 words ]

[Image: yyo9APg.gif]

PLAYER PROMPT

I've always been just about having to spend as long as possible on one team, so I always get myself a home early on that I can stay in for a long time. At that point I still live in a rental flat because there hasn't been enough time and also the finances to buy my own residence. But I'm happy with everything in that home as well because it's close enough to the games arena and it's very easy to get to both training and home games. This will be the third standalone season I'm staying in Toronto and I like it here, very much hope I don't need to change housing just because of a team change. For now, things are also moving towards long cooperation, with no interruptions. But there's a big plan to buy my own home this season so I can live normally without having to think about rent. However, it is necessary to start thinking about family formation in the long term.

Toms Zīle - young talanted latvian goalie

These have been tumultuous times in Egli's life. Prior to moving across the Atlantic to Maine, then again across the northern border to Edmonton - he had never left his home of Lumnezia in the Swiss Alps. Following your dreams is empowering and freeing, but at times lonely and isolating.

So, when the Edmonton city planning committee approached the Blizzard and asked that they send a player to help plan a new a park, Egli jumped at the chance. This was his chance to bring apiece of Lumnezia to his new home in Canada. 

When fans and community members joined around Egli's Lumnezia Park in downtown Edmonton they weren't quite sure what to expect. What they absolutely weren't expecting was a 229 foot tall replica of the Swiss mountain that grew up in the shadow of. Complete with a herd of sheep grazing and a stagnant pool to look like the Lumnezia River. Egli is incredibly proud of himself, for turning a city park into a completely unusable replica of a really big rock.

ISFL Affiliate

There are a few arenas that have really figured it out and created an amazing area around the stadium where you don't even need to be at the game to feel like you are part of the experience.  Obviously you need a good team to attract a full house plus fans outside but if you can make it attractive enough to come down to that area to socialize, you'll end up having the best of both worlds.  Some of the key factors are a nice grassy or turf area out side of the area with a large screen so people can set up chairs and congregate outside of the stadium.  From there you need food and drinks so having bars all around plus ample parking/public transportation would make it easy to get there.  Lastly you need to make sure that area is free for public drinking so people can move between the bars with their drinks and not worry about open container laws.
164 words

[Image: kpALfz6.jpg]
Gritty McGritterson Player Page
Gritty McGritterson Update Page

S53 Four Star Cup Champion- Detroit Falcons
S56 Challenge Cup Champion - Hamilton Steelhawks

Sir Devoir usually likes quiet, peaceful neighborhoods, but he knows that as a city planner, he would need to have a lot more than just houses around the Baltimore Platoon arena. So, with that in mind, he would first start by building an amusement park just a few blocks away from the arena. After that, he would help a few local people build restaurants and fun bars close by. Another thing that he would do is build a museum dedicated to the history of hockey in the Baltimore area right smack dab in front of the arena. He would also build a couple of hotels pretty close to the arena so fans who are coming into the area don't have to go far to have a place to rest.

Then, just as a little treat for himself, he would build a Pokémon park for pet and wild Pokémon alike to have a place to roam around and meet other Pokémon and have Pokémon trainers have a place to meet.

[Image: wfm-sig.png]
[Image: Wf5B9wj.png]