Create Account

S69 PT #0: City Planner January 22nd @ 11:59 PM (PST)

Oh hell yeah, city planning. I have become really interested in urbanism and urbanist theory over the last few years so this speaks to me.

First things first, it is downright mandatory that we make the arena district as walkable as possible, and encourage public transit by slashing fares (or even abolishing them!) with your game day ticket. After all, in real life, MLS just held a final in LOS ANGELES of all places built entirely on park-and-rides and public transit (as the stadium parking lot was closed for another game). So obviously we're dissuading car use with cheap busing/train service, and as for what's going to be around the arena? Mostly, honestly, just bars and restaurants and such - places for fans to meet up before going to the game together. If you're going to a hockey game, you're going to a hockey game, you don't need extraneous distracting nonsense when you're coming here to be entertained.

[Image: valpix.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @Symmetrik, @Merica, @enigmatic, and @sulovilen for the sigs! 
Avi courtesy of @MN_Moosey
[Image: d9J5DHT.png]
Citadelles Switzerland Stars Blizzard 
[Image: VGl3CB4.png]
[Image: valpixpride.gif]
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2023, 06:02 AM by tomtommen. Edited 1 time in total.)

Written Task:  So where do you live while the season is actually going on? In a condo near the arena? Is your current team the place you've been for a long time? Do you have a permanent home there? Either way, what does it look like? What kind of living situation does your player prefer and why? If they've been traded or signed to a new team or moved from the SMJHL to the SHL at any point, talk about what the move was like! How did they go about choosing a new place to live? (150+ words)

As a Norwegian introvert, Tom Pedersen, would like to be all by himself. No city, no neighbours and no people. He would like to be by the ocean and look at the boats passing by. Nothing closer than boats.Or perhaps a moose or some other animals. The family is welcome though. The perfect location for Tom Pedersen’s home would be an old lighthouse in Norway, but Canada will have to do as long as the career is ongoing. The lighthouse should be on an island by itself. Only accessible by boat. Nothing to do other than look at the view and drink coffee. And once a week take the boat to the mainland to stock up on supplies. The island would of course need sonars placed around with a listening station inside a building to listen to the ocean. The island would need a chopper landing spot so Tom Pedersen can quickly go to Calgary to participate in practices and matches. A streaming hut would also be appreciated as Tom Pedersen would need a place to stream Escape from Tarkov. An outdoor pizza oven would be nice. A Barbeque too. But other than that. Just pure nature and silence.

Word: 183

[Image: You_Doodle_2023-11-14T20_56_45Z.jpg?ex=6...d1516e717&]
[Image: cgv4vCv.png][Image: 3Kip7R0.png][Image: ivBf7yq.png][Image: cEbgUph.png]

I think there are two major approaches you can take regarding a teams arena and the city planning aspects of it. Either you put your arena into a field outside of the city somewhere and use all the space you have to build extensive facilities, parks and infrastructure around it, or you try to integrate it into an existing city and neighbourhood as much as possible. I personally prefer the second approach, seeing arenas integrated into the community like that is what gives many of them that great historic feel, with Madison Square Garden probably being the prime example for that. It's also something that I've really grown to like in Soccer, where the biggest and most state of the art facilities might be constructed a bit outside of the cities these days, but the real and original places where the heart of the game still beats strong often are integrated into their neighbourhood and you can just walk there from your home, sometimes within minutes. That's just awesome, it really helps integrate your team and franchise into the community and make them and the city they play in one, so that's what I'd love to see for my team in the SHL as well.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

Creative Prompt - 

This is right up my wheelhouse! (I am actually a city planner irl). If we are working with an imaginative crew and a blank check, the first thing we need to think about is people connections. How are people getting to the arena? Where are they coming from? Do they hang out in the area before and after the game, or are they just in a nd out for the main event? We want to try to pursue that first option: make an entertainment district connected to the surrounding residential area so people have a place to easily "play" and "hang out" within walking or transit distance to the venue. You don't necessarily have to think NYC, but just not like PNC Arena in Raleigh (where I live - an arena with zero amenities around it and is only accessible by car). Bring in your anchor amenities first and make sure there is a sizeable population coming to the arena and area for things other than the hockey game. Once you get a steady flow of activity, interest in arena attendance will rise. Start to outfit the arena with cool things and everything pops into place. Make sure you have the connections like transit or sidewalks so everyone can get around!

[Image: DqlVneu.png][Image: FVlMRDN.png][Image: q30YniK.png]

Credit to enigmatic, Merica, and tweedledunn for sigs

ph

[Image: manh_sig6.png?width=499&height=542][Image: lebedev-sig.gif]

All things considered it should be fairly easy to build an appropriately themed city around the home arena for the Colorado Raptors. The obvious and correct choice is to stick with a dinosaur theme. For example, restaurants are only permitted to sell dino nuggets. Anything else is considered taboo and proper punishment will be administered. Stores may only be allowed to sell dinosaur themed items. For instance, a mug with a dinosaur on it, or a couch in the shape of a dinosaur. A game-changing idea would be to bring actual dinosaurs into the city. We would first need to understand and master the science behind time travel, and bring dinosaurs with us to the present time. We would need to first keep the dinosaurs in captivity, and find a way to breed them so we create our own supply of dinosaurs to let loose in the city. The potential for tourism is limitless.

155 words

[Image: NYR73.gif]
sigs from @sulovilen @_Blitz_ @Ragnar and @enigmatic

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png] [Image: cEbgUph.png]

Creative Written Prompt:

My dream arena village would have to have a balance of restaurants, entertainment, night life and hotel accommodations. Let's start with the food. I want food from all walks of life. I would want a taqueria where i can get a $2 taco or a Michelan star restaurant where I sit an enjoy a great steak or Sushi. Of course there needs to be everything in between that the whole family can enjoy.

We need to keep the adults and kids alike entertained for before the game. I see laser tag, gaming stores, trampoline parks to help keep the kids from getting bored. For the adults We're looking at sports bars, coffee houses and book stores. For after the game I would want to see some nigh clubs where players and fans can let off some steam or celebrate after a win and then hotels at all price points so we can all crash safely at a reasonable or expensive price depending on your wants or needs.My dream arena village would have to have a balance of restaurants, entertainment, night life and hotel accommodations. Let's start with the food. I want food from all walks of life. I would want a taqueria where i can get a $2 taco or a Michelan star restaurant where I sit an enjoy a great steak or Sushi. Of course there needs to be everything in between that the whole family can enjoy.

We need to keep the adults and kids alike entertained for before the game. I see laser tag, gaming stores, trampoline parks to help keep the kids from getting bored. For the adults We're looking at sports bars, coffee houses and book stores. For after the game I would want to see some nigh clubs where players and fans can let off some steam or celebrate after a win and then hotels at all price points so we can all crash safely at a reasonable or expensive price depending on your wants or needs.

(167 Words)

(Player Prompt)

Jack McCarthy knows that Regina won't be home forever, but that hasn't stopped him from treating the city as his home for the next few years at least. Moving there in the dead of winter, McCarthy got his first blast of Canadian winter air. Growing up in Chicago, McCarthy is no stranger to cold winters but even he will admit, this one hit different.

McCarthy and a couple of teammates found a condo located just outside of the Elk home arena. It's a spacious place, overlooking the beautiful land of Saskatchewan. The condo itself may be unassuming on the outside, but inside you will find many amenities. Some teammates enjoy the swimming pool, others the gym. McCarthy gravitates most to the indoor golf simulator located on the third floor.

In the living area itself, there's a full kitchen that leaves plenty of room for the teammates to make their own meals. The roommates also have a big entertaining area, complete with an 85 inch television and just about every modern gaming system you can find on the market. This condo has already hosted several team bonding events and get-togethers.

It may not be home forever, but McCarthy and his teammates have made the most out of their spot in Regina.

[Image: 51LSJnR.png]

So being on a rookie contract still I haven't committed to buying anything too large in Winnipeg yet. It's just my first season up and I am still getting used to the city right now so I am kind of staying with some teammates for the time being while I search for somewhere cozy to hunker down for the season. I will probably look for something quite small to be honest just to save some money and I will really not be in it much other than sleeping or extended breaks. Otherwise I will be at the arena practicing or we will be on the road so there is no reason for me to buy anything too large yet. Once I really make a name for myself and earn those superstar contracts then I'll look into getting a more permanent and larger home for my future. Though never know if I meet someone I want to settle down with and see what happens from there. They may convince me to move my plans up timeline wise.

176 words

[Image: thedangazone.gif]

pbe affiliate

[Image: source.gif]
[Image: image.png]

Heading into his 4th season with the Battleborn, Alexi Piastri has had plenty of time to get setup in Las Vegas. Piastri rents a modest two bedroom apartment just a couple of blocks away from the strip. The location is convenient as he can walk to practices and the heart of Las Vegas is right around the corner. Piastri is often spotted at Top Golf which is a block away from his apartment. Unknown at the time that he moved in, Piastri will be able to watch the inaugural Las Vegas Formula One race from out the windows of his 6th story view. The inside of Piastri's place is clean and simple. No need for anything crazy when you have the Las Vegas strip as practically your backyard. There's a 65" TV in the living room with a u-shaped couch arrangement. One room serves as Piastri's bedroom, while the other room is kind of like an office, that is when there aren't any new players on the team that need a place to stay until the find their own spot. Piastri has two cats that he pays handsomely to have watched after when the team hits the road.

[Image: Piastri2.png?ex=65ba64d4&is=65a7efd4&hm=...462889f09&]
[Image: or8VMxO.gif]

ISFL affiliate: https://forums.sim-football.com/showthre...#pid659423

[Image: lespoils.gif]

After coming across the pond from England, Jarrod Lakemore settled into some temporary housing near the St. Louis arena. With a future hopefully in Buffalo, Lakemore didn't feel the need to find a more permanent solution. Knowing virtually nothing about the city, Lakemore found a cheap one bedroom apartment on the southside of St. Louis which appealed to his frugal ways. Unbeknownst to him, this apartment was in the Peabody-Darst-Webbe neighborhood of St. Louis, well known for it's high crime rate. While some would have moved to a nicer, safer area, the neighborhood grew on Lakemore and he renewed his lease after his first season with the Scarecrows. Despite the reputation for crime, Lakemore has been largely unaffected and has become friendly with the locals. He likes to give away tickets to games to his neighbors and has developed something of a small cult following of supporters that come to games and cheer him on.

159 words

Citadelles  S68 - Jarrod Lakemore - C Stampede

When Slavakov lived in San Francisco, he had a three bedroom two bathroom house in the suburb of Pacifica. It was still close to San Francisco but it was quiet and away from downtown which was more suited to Slavakov’s lifestyle. With his offseason trade to Chicago, he’s decided to rent that house out and find a new home in Chicago. With the help of some of his new syndicate teammates, namely Ryu and Ryuuji, he was able to find a similar home while he plays for the Syndicate. He decided to find a home of the same size in another suburb, this time Evanston. Home of Northwestern University, it’s a college town that doesn’t get too crazy, but it gives Slavakov plenty to do in his down time. It’s still close to downtown Chicago where the Syndicate arena is, as all he has to do is drive down North Clark or North Western and he’s in the heart of the Windy City.

[Image: hPSkjwC.jpeg]

Creative prompt: It's about time I got hired for my brilliant decorating skills, and by brilliant I obviously mean non existent. The first thing I'm doing as city planner is demolishing every house within a 1 mile radius of my house. I don't want to see, hear or smell my neighbors, the second thing I'm doing is having either ATT or Google set up a junction station near my house so I can have dedicated fiber internet with no other traffic. Thirdly I'm putting up a 20 story statue of Wild wings mask, a much larger version of the one they used to have at Disney world, as well as life size models of all my favorite dinosaurs, pop culture characters and celebrity crushes, next will be right on the edge of my neighborhood will be a nice plaza with my favorite restaurants, stores and establishments, all with staff and dedicated self driving cars only to deliver to me without having to have any human contact. Last but not least is creating a 1/4 mile drag strip to race with friends and family. Welcome to Maxy Land.

193 Words

Thank you to My boys @Merica and @Ragnar for the lovely sigs!
[Image: wrexks.png]
[Image: WREXKS.png]