Create Account

S69 SMJHL PT #3 - Rivalry Week

I think it's pretty clear that the biggest rivals of the Kelowna Knights are the Vancouver Whalers. There are a huge number of factors that play into this, and probably some that I'm not even aware of, but it's been this way ever since I joined the site 34 seasons ago with nothing changing. The geographical proximity of the two teams, both situated in BC, the similar colours of the team, their history as some of the longest tenured teams in the league, and personal rivalries of many generations of players have inevitably led to friction over the years which has developed into a competitive and tricky rivalry. The undeniable fact is both teams have had huge success, winning many Four Star Cups and producing a great number of players who've made their way to the SHL Hall of Fame. As such, it goes without saying that this rivalry looks set to continue for a long time to come, and should undoubtedly lead to some more great clashes between the teams in the years to come.

Code:
180 words

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]

The Nevada Battleborn's greatest rival has to be the other team who's name starts with an N, the Newfoundland Berserkers. These teams are very similar in nature, and even though Nevada is a newer team by about 10 years, there is some sort of sibling rivalry going on. Perhaps Nevada look at Newfoundland like a big brother, but there have been a history of Nevada getting one up on Newfoundland in their short history against each other. Both have fantastic logos and the jerseys are phenomenal, which makes any game between the two aesthetically pleasing. This season, Newfoundland have a very good team and are competing at the top of the league, while Nevada is in the middle of the pack retooling on the fly, which showed in their first game of the season, a 7-1 Berserkers win. Their second game? Nevada scored 5 on only 19 shots, which shows that anything is possible. With new blood on both teams who have never experienced this rivalry before, a potential playoff matchup could be explosive, and I can't wait to see it!
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2023, 04:39 PM by Novanod. Edited 1 time in total.)

I wanna say the Nevada Battleborn. We see them lots in the season being one reason and another is that we aren't too far apart in the standings. 

I hate playing there too, way too hot for hockey. Can't imagine looking out at all the rocks and sand and thinking "Yeah we should play ice hockey here". Keeping the ice rink frozen must cost a fortune alone, never mind everything else that comes with running a franchise. Must be a long season for those who live in Nevada. Also what's with the goat branding? Trying to say to the league you're the "GOAT"? Gonna have to back that up, can't be 9th in the league and claim to be the greatest of all time.

Just hope our games down south end soon, there's nothing like the lush forests and the aurora borealis up north.
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2023, 11:16 PM by TheNextGreatOne.)

I would say one of Nevada Battleborn's bigger rivals have to be the Colorado Raptors. Well the two teams may not have a huge history against each others, you do have us, the Battleborn's taking out the Raptors in back to back sweeps just a few seasons ago. And well that is a one sided victory, it's still bulletin material for the Raptors, and something that they would hope to overcome. Although I am glad to say the Battleborn's don't have any bulletin material for the Raptors, yet, so maybe the head to head rivalry isn't there. But the one thing that helps to make the Raptors and the Battleborn's rivalry bigger, is their proximity. For both the Raptors and the Battleborn, they are each their closest team, so having a rivalry between the two teams is just a natural thing. So add that onto the playoffs records, the Battleborn and the Raptors are probably each one of the bigger rivalry for each.

[163 words]

RIP Mac & 701

I gotta say the biggest rival for the Carolina Kraken is definitely Detroit. It is a long standing history of violence that culminated in a shenanigan filled playoff series where Detroit did things. Things were done I don't know the whole story but something sure happened and I am PISSED about it. Just absolutely furious. A more personal rival for me is Vancouver, as way back in the day, many a moon ago, Vancouver beat the Kraken in the playoffs two seasons in a row (At least I think it was Vancouver? Honestly not certain it was a while ago but I'm mad at them forever now too late to back down) I'm no expert (which I am) but I would be willing to bet that Vancouver paid off the referees to waive off all of our goals in that series. Just shameful really. I am so mad at every other team because they all suck and they smell bad.

The Anchorage Armanda is a superior minor hockey team to the Vancouver Whalers for several reasons. Firstly, the Armanda has a more solid and experienced coaching staff that has been able to bring out the best in its players, resulting in a better team dynamic and improved performance. Additionally, the Armanda has a more comprehensive training program that focuses on both skill development and physical fitness, enabling its players to perform at a higher level on the ice.

Another factor that sets the Armanda apart from the Whalers is its team culture. The Armanda places a strong emphasis on teamwork, respect, and accountability, creating a positive and supportive environment for its players. This, in turn, fosters a winning mentality and a drive to succeed, which is evident in the Armanda's performance on the ice.

Finally, the Armanda has a more talented roster, with several players who have been scouted by top SHL teams and have the potential to play professionally in the future. The Whalers, on the other hand, lack this level of talent, and their roster is not as deep or as skilled.

In conclusion, the Anchorage Armanda is a superior minor hockey team to the Vancouver Whalers due to its experienced coaching staff, comprehensive training program, positive team culture, and talented roster.

[Image: gurbs.gif]

Rivalry is a tough one, I’ve been away for awhile and I’m new to Kelowna and the franchise. This season though, I can think of a few that come to mind. We’ve had four super tight games against Carolina and they’re right below us in the standings. They beat us THREE times in overtime (twice in one day, on a sim where we had 4/4 games go to overtime and they were all loses!!), but we just beat them today 5-3 to get a bit of revenge. Maine is also right there, being in our division and also the top team in the league. Definitely games that you circle as statement games. I wouldn’t say I have any rivalries in terms of other players though. Any other S70 rookie I guess, I just want to out perform them just in case any SHL scouts are at the game. And it’s all love in the locker room too, no inter squad rivals in Kelowna!

If we go all the way back, like reeeeally far back, when the Berserkers were still the Lions and my first player was playing for them, one potential original rival could've been the Outlaws. They were both expansion teams from the same season. However, not only the Lions have moved, so have the Outlaws and they're now known as the Yukon Malamutes. So with both teams not having much to do with the original teams anymore, that rivalry is probably dead, at least I couldn't really find a reason why Newfoundland and Yukon should be rivals. A current rival could potentially be Maine given the playoff history these two teams have had in the late 50s and early 60s. At least I wouldn't be surprised if Maine saw Newfoundland as their big rival after losing so much, all the time. Other than that I have no idea who could be a bigger rival so my pick is Maine.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]

The Quebec City Citadelles have many rivals, ranging from themselves to other teams in the Major Junior Simulation Hockey League. I personally consider the Kelowna Knights as our biggest rivals in the juniors. During my first stint with the Quebec City Citadelles, the Kelowna Knights were neck and neck with Quebec as the best team in the league. I believe they beat us in the four star cup finals the season before we finally overcame the odds and won our own cup. Plus one of their players won Juniors MVP the season I was good so I'm still salty about that like two years later.

On top of that, I hate the branding. Green and gold can work, and honestly the knights is a classic branding, even if the logo isn't amazing. I just think the city of Kelowna is stupid. I have never been there but I can just tell it is by the name.

[Image: 4x2jj4a.gif]
S58 Elias Armia Award Winner

The Yukon Malamutes have just one rival. Just one. Well maybe not all the malamutes, but for one in particular, Sydney Shaw, there is a clear standout rival. That would be the Great Falls Grizzly Bears. What a mouthful of a name. It has nothing to do with the fact that they are ahead of us in the standings. The Grizzles think they are just the best team in the league. Just because they are 4 points ahead of us. So sure of themselves just because they will make playoffs. Well you know what, we are coming for you and your cocky attitude. This kind of can do attitude with this absurd need to win every game. It is obnoxious. They are so happy and cheerful. It is so toxic. I do not want to be exposed to this positivity and shiny smiles. This is why GFG is Sydney Shaws personal rival. Also I heard the GM runs a wrestling side hustle. Like that is not weird.

[Image: badwolf221B42.gif]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]

The Newfoundland Berzerkers. "because of too many years of them preventing us from winning a cup haha" - Southpaw
I joined the team today and because southpaw is the person helping me i have to go with what he says lol

I don't think I've really been around long enough to either form my own rivalry or really be a part of one with my team. There's a few teams I liked more than others, mostly based on my talks with them before the draft, but I haven't really had time to developpe a proper hatred for anyone. If I really had to pick one now though, I would say it's probably Anchorage. The main reason being that they are obviously in our division and we play them more than most other teams in the league. They're currently a fair step ahead of us on the ice though, so it doesn't really make for an exciting rivalry yet, but we are working on it. Give us a season to catch up a bit to where they are and I think Quebec Anchorage games are going to really start bringing the heat.

Historically and geographically, the biggest rival of the Vancouver Whalers are the Kelowna Knights. The battle of British Columbia. Presently, the two teams are in separate divisions with a big difference in the standings. You'd have to date back to season 63, when Kelowna brutally eliminated Vancouver in the first round. Kelowna also eliminated Vancouver in the season 59 and 58 playoffs, ultimately capturing the season 59 cup. Vancouver did claim victorious in the battle of season 56, sweeping Kelowna in 2nd round and winning the cup. While the teams haven't had any recent encounters in the playoffs, it should flare up again in the future. Both teams are on the upswing of a rebuild and may find themselves facing off for the cup again. Vancouver has more emotions invested in the rivalry, as Kelowna has been victorious in all their recent battles. Keep it on your watch list for the coming seasons. It'll be a treat to watch.

[Image: MWJDjbu.png]
[Image: 183de87f8b7c0453e0172c60380f5739.png]

The Maine Timber's biggest rival is themselves. As the late, great warrior poet Allen Schellenberger once wrote "It's no surprise to me, I am my own worst enemy 'Cause every now and then, I kick the living shit out of me" and while the same can certainly be said of most people, the Maine Timbers take it to the extreme. We want to be the best we can be at any cost. We like to hold ourselves to a higher standard, train harder, trade harder and do all of that good stuff. If you've read the art of war you've certainly read about knowing yourself, knowing your enemy, and controlling the controlables. The Timbers believe that by knowing themselves and controlling what they can, they can force favorable outcomes. Mastery of the self must come before mastery of the others.

Either that or the Detroit Falcons on account of them liking to roost in high up places, aka trees, our home.

[Image: Screen_Shot_2020-07-07_at_12.29.58_PM.png]

[Image: ripmitsmall.png]