Create Account

Swedish Phenom Johnny FourStar Declares for the SMJHL
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2023, 12:33 PM by Whikadoodle.)

BREAKING: SWEDISH PHENOM JOHNNY FOURSTAR DECLARES FOR THE SMJHL
by: Dick Shivers

Legendary Swedish player and player-manager Niklas Wikstrom has been enjoying retirement. The former New England Wolfpack Wolfpack and Winnipeg Jets Jets superstar forward and SHL MVP, these days Wikstrom spends much more time at the local Crown + Hand Pub than he does anywhere else.

"By now, I've probably spent more time here than anywhere else, and that includes the rink" says Wikstorm. "To me, nothing beats a tall cold pint, even if I'm drinking it in the Company of these jabronis."

Since his playing days, Wikstrom has dabbled in managing a slew of talented players trying to make the transition from Sweden to the North American game. However, after representing Challenge Cup winning stay-at-home defenseman Chippy Chiclets through many seasons with the Edmonton Blizzard Blizzard, Wikstrom has struggled to find talent that sticks in the SHL. He says that hasn't bothered him one bit:

"You do your best to set [the players] up for success. I really try not to make any false promises - I simply give them the keys and see how they drive."

Ever since the return of organized, junior-level hockey to Regina Elk, Wikstrom has been content to take a backseat and enjoy the league as a fan.

"You know, they aren't my beloved, the Regina Force :force:, but I like them. They're scrappy. They're determined. And they give me an opportunity to see a lot of young, exciting talent. Nothing makes me happier than having a team back on the ice in Saskatchewan, my home away from home."

However, all of that seems to have changed with the breakout season of Johnny FourStar from Vaxjo, Sweden. The 6'0, 200 lb forward has been labeled an offensive juggernaut - with incredible skating skills and a nose for the back of the net. When Wikstrom got the call, he couldn't ignore it:

"I haven't seen talent like this in a really long time. I remember the first time I spoke with Johnny, it was apparent - it's like his only motivation in life is to win the Four Star Cup."

I briefly spoke with Johnny FourStar after he finished speed skating drills at the Brandt Center last week. I was instantly shocked by his off-ice demeanor - his quiet, almost brooding personality being such a contrast to the loud, explosive, can't-ignore-him persona he demonstrates on the ice. FourStar hopes to hear his name called at the upcoming SMJHL Entry Draft in [uhh, the thread doesn't say]:

"I'm here to play hard, what more could teams want?"

When asked why FourStar, an obvious talent, would want to partner up with a washed up, has been player manager like Niklas Wikstrom, he immediately ended the interview.

Wikstrom seems similarly surprised about his representation of Fourstar, but is not letting his recent string of bad luck shake him:

"The game has changed. It's changed so much since when I played in the SHL. I don't understand how these new players are evaluated - when I played, fans had to read the results in the paper the next day. Now everything is done in real time. But I know talent when I see it, and Johnny is it.

However, Wikstrom has been realistic about what to expect from Johnny FourStar:

"I've seen my phone start to get calls from SHL execs, and I've had to put the kibosh on that. I don't know if Johnny is destined for the SHL or if he plans to play his post-juniors career back in Sweden. But that's a discussion we'll need to have another day. Johnny is committed to his goal of winning a Four Star Cup, and as a trophy that has eluded me my entire career, I'm just as determined to win that championship as he is. I think any team would be lucky to have him."

[661 words]