Create Account

S70 PT #0: Otherworldly Forecheck Due: March 26th @ 11:59 PM (PST)

Prompt 2

If I was to challenge Death to a skills competition in hockey, I would have to go with the fastest skater competition. While Death might have some tricks up his sleeve, I just find it hard to believe that a person made of bones like Death is not going to be able to generate enough force from his leg bones to go fast enough. Also, there would be some turns in this competition and those bones would crack as soon as Death tried to make a hard cut. As a matter of fact, I'm fairly confident that I would be able to lap Death a few times over as he collects his broken bones from one of those cuts that he tried to make. I would not cheat in this competition, but I wouldn't be surprised if Death tried to. Perhaps he would attempt to bolster his bones with some sort of a brace. Or, Death may even try to put in some sort of jet propellers under his robes.

[Image: 51LSJnR.png]

It's very difficult to explain hockey to people in our own world, much less a new one. There are so many inconsistencies in every game, particularly the calls made by refs. Whether it's reviewing offsides, or calling a goal off for goalie interference, refs never seem to follow any precedent, and the calls are made very inconsistently.  I imagine it's very difficult for a new fan to try to understand the game, which is going to be even harder to make happen when describing to a new world. I suppose you have to start with the basics. It's just people moving on ice with tiny blades on their feet. While trying to whack a rubber puck with a long stick into the other team's net. Not out of the ordinary whatsoever. When you take a second to think about it, hockey is such a strange concept that it would be impossible for people in another world to understand.

[Image: NYR73.gif]
sigs from @sulovilen @_Blitz_ @Ragnar and @enigmatic

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png] [Image: cEbgUph.png]

PT Pass

[Image: blix900.gif]

[Image: QwTZD8C.png][Image: iemKOIk.png]

I guess this is all kinda dependent on what stuff is in the alternate dimension. If there is anything that is a fair simulation of a hockey rink, i.e. an icy or slippery surface, the first step would be teaching people how to skate on there. In order to do this, I'd need to find a thin piece of metal to wear on feet to simulate skates, but I think once this was accomplished in some form then we'd be well on our way to establishing what's required to play hockey. From there, we'd need something to replicate the sticks and the pucks to actually play the game; an actual stick (i.e. just a piece of wood) would do the job to start with if the resources weren't available to fashion a more realistic stick, beyond that I would say anything small like a stone could simulate a puck. Like I said, kind of hard to specifically state how I'd replicate the game without knowing a bit more about the world I'm in but hopefully that does a decent enough job.

Code:
181 words

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]

Prompt 2

There is no moment where M’Baku Olubori would think to cheat against Death. He’s just not that kind of person (in fact, he’s arrogant enough to think he doesn’t need to cheat to win. Time will tell if his confidence is well placed. Thankfully, in most realms, the avatar of Death is a fair being who really doesn't like being cheated, so hopefully they won't cheat in kind.

In this odd PT topic, Baku would challenge Death to a three challenge competition (as all good competitions are): hardest shot, speed skating, and then round of HORSE, but with penalty shots. Baku is known for his hard booming shots, and he’s always working out to be in peak physical form. He feels these competitions will help him show off many of his skills and push death beyond mastering/cheesing 1-2 hockey skills to win. This format forces both people to show off all their skills as a full hockey player (which Death obviously isn’t). Baku would take one look at pale stick boy and decide he’s got the W. (He doesn’t necessarily have this on lockdown, but one Baku’s best and worst traits is his utmost belief in himself.)

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

Prompt #2

I'm not looking to get sent off to another world, especially if there is no hockey there. As much as it might be fun to teach the game to my new "friends" in another world, I haven't mastered the game in this world, not the best of the best. Yet.

Therefore if given the choice to fight Death themself before being blasted off somewhere else, I'm going to take the challenge because I feel confident I can win. There would be no cheating though, you're a fool if you think you can cheat death and before we start we make the agreement that Death cant use any unworldly powers. So as for the actual challenge we are doing everyones favourite skills competition. That's right, a shootout! We will each take turns being the shooter while the other being the goalie. Death in all their arrogance will only wear their famous robes ignoring any gear that would help them. No skates, no goalie equipment, just their scythe.

On my shot attempts I come in all elusive on my skates showcasing my agility causing Death to trip on their robes and fall giving me a wide open net to score on. For Deaths attempt, they don't know how to play hockey! They just whack the puck with their scythe and I make an easy routine save! I win and get to stay, woo!

[Image: CrazyMojitoSHL.gif]
Canada Blizzard Stars Citadelles Citadelles Stars Blizzard Canada 
[Image: d9J5DHT.png][Image: 16PgOBm.png]

Ace Lightning has died way to young, and has found himself reincarnated in the world of breakfast cereals. His new best friends are Cap'n Crunch and Toucan Sam, and he has to teach them about the game that he loves so much: hockey. Unfortunately, in this after life of cereals, a lot of the necessary things for hockey does not exist. Ice? Forget about it. However, there is a pond filled with frosting, which can be frozen. A puck? It's now a single mini wheat. The net is made out of froot loops, which are very colourful and can easily be glued together in such a way to stop pucks. Sticks can be manufactured out of...corn bran? Maybe some real stiff stale stuff. Luckily, there is a store in this afterlife that rents out ice skates. Toucan Sam, Cap'n Crunch and myself play on an all-star team where we battle the evil heads of cereal. The cororate owners of the famous cereal manufacturers. It's a whole thing.

Prompt 1

Honestly, getting resurrected in another timeline without hockey means we must invent hockey. Equipment would be just carved from wood or similar easily accessable material, maybe wood does not exist in this timeline and we breathe from an artificial oxygen providing equipment? To tie it down we would just use any easily affordable and accessable rope or cord. What is safety? Safety does not exist in the earliest forms of hockey which only the most brave and the most fearless people play. That is the definition of manhood. "Oh what do you do in your free time? I play hockey." Gigachad.

Honestly there would be lost of improvement for rules. For starters, we take away the period system we have currently, with 3 periods. Currently, the game time is endless, but the game ends when a team scores 10 goals behind the opposing team. So we dont have to watch teams like Tampa Bay crush teams like Vancouver in 60 minutes, where as we could witness the difference in skill and madness in just 20 or even 30 minutes.

[Image: jE4ioeC.png][Image: meOh9pz.png]

Answering for the first prompt:

Firstly, I would have to know if there are any other form of "sports" in this new otherworldly realm. If there is another sport, I will simply use the epic strategies of compare and contrast to present hockey in a positive lens. This will convince these otherworldly individuals that hockey is a sport that is worth pursuing, and thus they will generate a perspective claim that they should play hockey in this otherworldly realm.

In the case where there is no such thing as a "sport", then we would have to tread lightly. Firstly, we must emphasize the importance of physical education, as well as the benefits of sports and an active lifestyle. Finally, we introduce hockey as the guaranteed best option in terms of sports. If they can buy in, then we are set for smooth sailings.

Okay, but now I am just imagining that this otherworldly realm is just scorching hot and no such thing as ice exists. That would not be ideal. Hopefully this place is just a frozen realm.

[Image: beegbeegyoshi.gif]
[Image: B7bDIPG.png]
[Image: gospklL.png]

So here's the interesting thing: I've done research on the invention of hockey. Like, the creation of hockey-like sports. And while we look at soccer as "the world's game", there's one team sport that every single civilization seems to create: hockey. Like, if you live near ice that freezes, at some point someone's gonna decide to start skating around and hitting things with sticks. So I don't think it'd be too difficult to explain the concept of hockey to an isekai world. And depending on the isekai sub-genre, it might not be that hard. Like, have you read that sort of isekai where some guy gets transported from Japan and he makes food and literally everyone creams their pants because "obviously my Earth cooking is superior"? It's so dumb. So, I'm not sure Wisconsin would be into this, as she seems like a fairly apathetic character who would just sorta become a warrior (maybe using her hockey stick as a weapon). But if I'm in this isekai, I'm starting a hockey team/harem to destroy enemies. Build like a Fortress of Solitude in a wintery area where the only way to get to me is to win a game of hockey against the harem- oh God, I'm the villain.

[Image: KouSaotomeUndraftedSigSmol.png]
Jamie T Wrote:But I wish I'd been a little more exceptional
And I wish I'd been a little unconventional
But I was not enough, no, I'm not enough

Prompt 1

Sea jebus wakes up In the world of Mario and Luigi in the toadstool kingdom.  The ultimate world of characters galore and facing the battle of bowser around every corner. He gets invited over to princess peachs castle for a welcome party amd dinner. Everyone is so curious to the world He came from. In the morning Mario and Luigi will take him around the kingdom on yoshi and his buds to show him the lay of the land. Everyone is looking for a new game to play so Sea jebus gets them to take him to the ice world where all those penguins are running around and shy guys are already Skating on the ice so Sea jebus explains the beautiful game of hockey to them all. He tells them of the number of players needed for each team and sets up makeshift nets at each end if the ice. They all go out and collect wooden sticks that jebus helps carve into hockey sticks for Everyone. He explains the most basic rules and then finds a rock shaped just like a puck. Everyone gathers and are excited to learn of this new game. Soon there are multiple teams and this begins the start of the toadstool hockey league.

I would definitely challenge death to a skills comp. While death is great at taking lives and knowing when some one's time is up I do not believe he would have the time to actually practice much more outside of that. So beating them in a skills comp, while on the ice and in skates, should be a big piece of cake. I would not even need to cheat. First would be a shot competition. While death might be good with that scythe I do not think he is used to swinging it upside down and sideways. He can lop off souls but not shoot a puck. Now I'm not dumb enough to challenge to a speed comp. He takes people to the afterlife at the speed of light. There is absolutely no way to beat that. And finally I would challenge them to a hardest shot. He has no muscles how is he going to beat me at that.

160 words

[Image: thedangazone.gif]

PROMPT 2:

I am a Barca, I don't fear the reaper. If anything he fears me. Who knows what kind of crazy shit I'll get up to.
I think accuracy could potentially be a good skill off competition with death. It's using a tool for accuracy, so I think there might be an unfamiliarity where I can gain an advantage. Secondly, of course I'll be cheating. It's not cheating if you win, and if you lose, you die. So we're talking about all sorts of things. Weighted pucks, magnetic pucks (draw closer for me, repel for the reaper), a gel inside the reaper's stick that throws off balance. Loosen their skate blades.
We need to throw absolutely everything we can think of here at death, because we must win. Maybe play some super high pitched whistles just in case he has supersonic hearing? throw in some subsonic sounds as well while we're at it. He's probably not afraid of fire, but we could do a ring of fire, that would look pretty cool.
I will face death, and I will win. Because I must.

"If your heart beats like a drum, and your leg’s a little wet, it’s because the Reaper’s come to collect a little debt"

[Image: krash.gif]

[Image: kLRJavo.png][Image: ZjgHcNL.png]

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]

One of the toughest things about starting the sport of hockey over would be even having a big enough platform to promote it. So I guess the first thing I would do is go and find the biggest city, and meet with the city planners. I would explain to them the concept of hockey, a sport played on ice (does this world even have ice?) with razer blade shoes and you hit a piece of vulcanized rubber with a stick. It sounds like it would be a lot more difficult to explain to someone than you would think. I guess I would have to convince these city planners to freeze a sheet of ice that is 200 feet long and 85 feet wide or whatever it is, then somehow create some skates, then just get out there and show them how it is done. If they would even be willing to go and watch me do this, let alone freeze a big sheet of ice for me.

Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab
[Image: 64012_s.gif]
Sigs by Me, Merica, High Stick King, Rum_Ham, Jess, vulfzilla, enigmatic, and Carpy
Stampede  Kraken
❤!! RIP to the big homies 701 and Mac !!❤

ISFL Affiliate username is FTR.

RIP Mac & 701